• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT2| You're thinking how much you want to **** this game aren't you?

LotusHD

Banned
https://twitter.com/NieR_JPN/status/890493818482511873

9VtAwQi_d.jpg

Not even sure what game this is for

Kill it with fire...

"Beat" the game last night. Absolutely loved it. Fun, engaging, weird - pretty crazy experience overall.

Immediately started up run B, did something wrong immediately, and got a bad ending. Totally confused me, too. Wasn't paying attention and suddenly the game played the end credits super fast and dumped me to the title screen. Literally had no idea what was going on.

Question - how long is run B?

That was a joke ending. They can occur through various means, like going in the wrong direction away from your current objective.

Route B can be done in a few hours if you Rush through it, as you'll be largely retreading through the same story beats as Route A.
That said, Route B does have a good amount of stuff that differs from Route A.

Also know that Route C is entirely new content.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Can 9S only use 1 weapon at a time?

"Beat" the game last night. Absolutely loved it. Fun, engaging, weird - pretty crazy experience overall.

Immediately started up run B, did something wrong immediately, and got a bad ending. Totally confused me, too. Wasn't paying attention and suddenly the game played the end credits super fast and dumped me to the title screen. Literally had no idea what was going on.

Question - how long is run B?

I did the same thing! Did you walk off the crane?

pixxxelz

Question: if I start path E am I still gonna be able to do other things? (select chapter and all that) or should I get everything out of the way before
climbing the tower for ending D
?

Hektor

Question: if I start path E am I still gonna be able to do other things? (select chapter and all that) or should I get everything out of the way before
climbing the tower for ending D
?

You wanna be sure to have everything done before E, but you can still do things after finishing c and d

Oyashiro

Reposting from other OT:

I'm confused/disappointed by this game. I loved the original Nier and came into this one with high hopes as the reviews seemed so insanely positive. I just beat the first route and I'm incredibly underwhelmed.

Combat seems very shallow and boring so far. Bosses are gigantic damage sponges that just take forever to beat for no reason other than to make the fight more artificially difficult.

The overworld is boring and stale. There's a disgusting amount of backtracking and not enough variety.

Story wise... Well, I don't want to judge it yet because I've only completed one of the endings. But there are just so many things about this game that scream "generic anime" to me. Adam and Eve are basically a parody of DBZ enemies -- lots of very generic anime screaming and yelling. Why do the androids wear blindfolds? Why do they care so much about each other? Why is it a big deal if they die considering they can just back up their data?

Literally the only thing that has impressed me so far is the music.

Route C is great! (Why did I need to replay Route A... or I mean Route B? Kind of wish, so far, that it just skipped B)

Spoilers for near the end of Rout C, I think?
rip Pascal. I already regret deleting memories. I Shoshone have just killed them. I saved and stopped when I got to play as 9S finally. Twins!

LotusHD

Banned
Route C is great! (Why did I need to replay Route A... or I mean Route B? Kind of wish, so far, that it just skipped B)

Spoilers for near the end of Rout C, I think?
rip Pascal. I already regret deleting memories. I Shoshone have just killed them. I saved and stopped when I got to play as 9S finally. Twins!

Go check out the village sometime.

Combat seems very shallow and boring so far. Bosses are gigantic damage sponges that just take forever to beat for no reason other than to make the fight more artificially difficult.
the combat has an insane number of options and all bosses die quickly if your level is +-1. Die absurdly quickly if you over level. So like, im not sure what you are doing.

Mechanically, the quests in this game are average at best. The little stories and the world-building they do is what makes them good/great.

Is progression in the game's story more difficult if I ignore most of the sub-quests? In terms of levelling up sufficiently in order to be able to fight the story mission enemies.

Baalzebup

Is progression in the game's story more difficult if I ignore most of the sub-quests? In terms of levelling up sufficiently in order to be able to fight the story mission enemies.
It depends on what difficulty you are playing at, your skill and how much grinding you may or may not do, but in general terms, yes, there may be times where critical pathing may leave you sufficiently behind in levels that it will actually make things hard for you. The opposite is also true, as you can out-level vast majority of the content if you do everything and grind a bit on top.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm currently in the middle of my B playthrough, and I have questions about one UI element, an icon of a chip that blinks near my lvl stat during gameplay.

When I fire up options, there is a row of ~10 empty slots, and first one has a icon of a chip.

Can anyone explain what is that for?

Hektor

From the japan exclusive PS+ Nier Concert App

I'm currently in the middle of my B playthrough, and I have questions about one UI element, an icon of a chip that blinks near my lvl stat during gameplay.

When I fire up options, there is a row of ~10 empty slots, and first one has a icon of a chip.

Can anyone explain what is that for?

Could you mean the temporary buff you get for picking up coprses with the first?

Hard to understand exactly what you mean wihtout pics imho

I had hope to finish the game today, but I ran into a bunch of technical problems. I'm playing on a 2012 iMac, and it's been a mess most of the game. However, when route c spoilers:
opening the three mini towers to get into the big main tower
I kept having the game crash. And, since there's no way to save inside, I had to redo them several times. That was a bit of a bummer. I got a lot better performance and stability after turning off v sync.

Rout c spoilers again:
I just finished fighting a robot that ran away in a library with A2. I assume I'm really close to the end. It's been interesting, and I really hope to see how they finish this off.

Oh, and spoiler for Pascal's village in route c:
I knew I should've killed Pascal. Why the heck was Pascal selling those children cores!? I'm going to need to look up what happens if you just leave him and do nothing to him.

Edit: screw it. Let's do this thing.

Franziska

I just finished Route A. Thought that I'd play for an hour or two starting
just before the forest kingdom, but before I knew it I was battling Emo SpideyxVergil

I was a bit disappointed with the game when I started playing the game, due to not having combat ranks and stuff, but between the rapidly shifting styles it soon stopped registering. The gameplay is a solid 9/10, but everything else makes up for it.

Gonna start route B as soon as I have some free time.

LotusHD

Banned
I thought quests carried over in this game? I did a bunch of them in route A and none carried over to B.

If you completed a quest, you don't have to worry about them in Route B, they won't show up again. If you did not complete a quest, then some of them will show up in Route B, but not all of them. (Like quests that only 2B would really do, like Operator 6O quests for example) When we say they carry over, it really means that you have to start said quest over if you did not actually complete it.

I thought quests carried over in this game? I did a bunch of them in route A and none carried over to B.

Are you sure you actually completed them? Because some give you the reward but have one more epilogue step for them to count as completed (like Retrieve The Confidential Intel)

Zeneric

I need to taste route C. But the route I'm on (route B) is so boring. Hard to be motivated to get to route C and after. Is route B the worst route of Nier Automata's routes? How many routes are there? Maybe I need to increase the difficulty to enjoy the game more. Is increasing difficulty in Nier Automata mid way possible? I don't remember... Don't mind starting the game again on higher diff tho.

Renewed

I need to taste route C. But the route I'm on (route B) is so boring. Hard to be motivated to get to route C and after. Is route B the worst route of Nier Automata's routes? How many routes are there? Maybe I need to increase the difficulty to enjoy the game more. Is increasing difficulty in Nier Automata mid way possible? I don't remember... Don't mind starting the game again on higher diff tho.

Route B has some pretty cool stuff in there when you look back on it but for now it might not be the most enticing. There are 3 routes that you'll be getting the 5 main endings and 21 joke endings on and you can adjust difficulty anytime from the options menu.

LotusHD

Banned

It's the most divisive route for sure. That said, Route C tends to pull back people in, or really pull in people who liked Routes A/B, so stick with it.

Wait, does that mean that I'll have to redo all the incomplete sidequests?

Yea

Franziska

Ah bollocks. Do chains like Jackass/Father Servo count as a single quest or can I resume them more or less where I left off?

I kinda' noped out after seeing Servo's
giant robot form.
Having to beat his =< Level 40 ass again would put me off even trying.

LotusHD

Banned
Ah bollocks. Do chains like Jackass/Father Servo count as a single quest or can I resume them more or less where I left off?

giant robot form.

I'm sure the Father Servo one can be resumed since it has several stages. Don't recall the Jackass one, though I don't even know if 9S is allowed to do it to begin with.

Coreda

giant robot form.

Servo in Route B/C is easy street thanks to the
hacking
ability (I have no idea what is considered route B spoilers in this thread tbh, very minor).

schlynch

Just finished my first playthrough yesterday and had a blast with the game. It was really good, as expected. Started the B route immediately and have to say that
playing 9S is not that much fun. Hacking esp. is very annoying and there are some enemies where I do no damage with melee combat and feel forced to hack them 4-5 times.. dimming the overall fun a lot. I think I missed a lot in the first playthrough, going by my stats.. but I guess I will make route B a fast run and taking my time after that, hoping that I can go back to play 2B at some point (in some route).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I've just met A2 in Route B and now heading to the supply mission. I must say I'm not sure why we are having to play through the quests again. 9S doesn't feel much different from 2B. Sure, it's cool that we get to see some parts from his point of view, can hack machines and get new cutscenes but so far there I'm seeing no reason all this stuff couldn't have been in the first playthrough.

If it was I feel it'd have made it more enjoyable but every thing just feels like it was left out for the sake of making you play again.

I am hopeful that the next playthrough will be interesting so I'm looking forward to that. Right now I think both Route A + B should have been merged then roll credits and start the next playthrough.

So, I finished this the other night. I'll echo the thoughts that Route B is kind of a slog since it is mostly the same as Route A with a few, yet important, differences. I wish B was abridged so I didn't have to do the same exact stuff again. Route C was a nice change of pace, Route D (spoilers not on its content but on what they are)
just being a cutscene
was a disappointment.

Then again, I can get why Route B is the way it is. I don't know.

There were moments during the ending where I wondered if this game was about the death of authorial intent. I think all of the stuff involving Pascal is great and my favorite parts of the game. Jeez, this game can be dark. Question:
what happens if I didn't kill or erase Pascal's memories? What happens when I go back into the village?
I think the game's story is also much more rewarding if you poke around. I don't think the story is the best of all time like some say, but I think it is really good and I thought it stuck the landing.

I never really got comfortable with the jump, so the platforming, though minor, never felt good. I think the music is great, and as I mentioned earlier, it reminded me a lot of Chrono Cross, not in sounding like it, but in the general tone and atmosphere I get when I hear music from those games.

I only got one joke ending (beginning of Route B, I went the wrong way accidentally). I could tell when some of the others were, but since I was having some issues playing this on my Mac, I didn't want to chance them when I hadn't saved for so long. Some of the side quests are interesting too, but they aren't fun to mechanically complete.

Good game. Glad I gave it a shot when I normally wouldn't.

Hektor

So, I finished this the other night. I'll echo the thoughts that Route B is kind of a slog since it is mostly the same as Route A with a few, yet important, differences. I wish B was abridged so I didn't have to do the same exact stuff again. Route C was a nice change of pace, Route D (spoilers not on its content but on what they are)
just being a cutscene
was a disappointment.

Then again, I can get why Route B is the way it is. I don't know.

There were moments during the ending where I thought that this game was about the death of authorial intent. I think all of the stuff involving Pascal is great and my favorite parts of the game. Jeez, this game can be dark. Question:
what happens if I didn't kill or erase Pascal's memories? What happens when I go back into the village?
I think the game's story is also much more rewarding if you poke around. I don't think the story is the best of all time like some say, but I think it is really good and I thought it stuck the landing.

I never really got comfortable with the jump, so the platforming, though minor, never felt good. I think the music is great, and as I mentioned earlier, it reminded me a lot of Chrono Cross, not in sounding like it, but in the general tone and atmosphere I get when I hear music from those games.

I only got one joke ending (beginning of Route B, I went the wrong way accidentally). I could tell when some of the others were, but since I was having some issues playing this on my Mac, I didn't want to chance them when I hadn't saved for so long.

Good game. Glad I gave it a shot when I normally wouldn't.

Regarding the question
If you wipe his memories, he goes back to his village and sells the spare parts of his dead children

LotusHD

Banned
I've just met A2 in Route B and now heading to the supply mission. I must say I'm not sure why we are having to play through the quests again. 9S doesn't feel much different from 2B. Sure, it's cool that we get to see some parts from his point of view, can hack machines and get new cutscenes but so far there I'm seeing no reason all this stuff couldn't have been in the first playthrough.

If it was I feel it'd have made it more enjoyable but every thing just feels like it was left out for the sake of making you play again.

I am hopeful that the next playthrough will be interesting so I'm looking forward to that. Right now I think both Route A + B should have been merged then roll credits and start the next playthrough.

Simply combining Routes A and B doesn't work, you'd have to change a lot more in order to have it flow correctly.

Zeneric

Increasing the diff makes the enemies more spongy, causing the game to be only duller for me. That killed my motivation, even more, to complete. I'll probably just return the diff back to normal and rush thru it, someday, just to see what route C's all bout.

I find this game to be an unbelievable slog. I'm a few hours into Route C now and while it's cool, I don't think the trek through Route B was necessarily worth it. I'll keep going though, because maybe it'll get better. I really wish the game world had more variety to it.

sorathecrow

Neo Member
Is route B the worst route of Nier Automata's routes?

It's not a bad route--I enjoyed it quite a bit, since it mixed up the gameplay a lot and gave a bunch of new scenes. Big improvement over what the original Nier did, since it made you play half the game multiple times with little variation just to get the true ending.

How many routes are there?

You only have to repeat content once.

Increasing the diff makes the enemies more spongy, causing the game to be only duller for me.

I've been playing through on Hard for my second time through and I'm not getting this complaint in the slightest. Enemies go down pretty fast in both modes--it just turns you into paper mache without health chips. In fact, the game's pretty unbalanced on normal, you'll quickly be overleveled if you do sidequests.

But I guess if you've checked out already any length of time is probably going to be too long, and you're probably making it worse for yourself by not doing sidequests and being underleveled. This isn't a game that really benefits from trying to rush to the *good part*

I find this game to be an unbelievable slog. I'm a few hours into Route C now and while it's cool, I don't think the trek through Route B was necessarily worth it. I'll keep going though, because maybe it'll get better. I really wish the game world had more variety to it.

I don't think the game's going to magically salvage your impressions of it at this point. Either the story hooks you or it doesn't.

Now that I've completed this game and am still thinking about it, and recommendation videos or podcasts or articles discussing the game's themes and whatnot? Not story summaries, but something deeper? All I've done was listen to the Waypoint spoilercast.

LotusHD

Banned
Now that I've completed this game and am still thinking about it, and recommendation videos or podcasts or articles discussing the game's themes and whatnot? Not story summaries, but something deeper? All I've done was listen to the Waypoint spoilercast.

This has a bunch of supplementary material pertaining to the game, so comb through that: https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/wiki/lore

Here's an article I liked as well: https://tanoshimi.xyz/2017/03/21/violet-evergarden-spoilers/

sorathecrow

Neo Member

I'm still waiting on Clemps to do an Automata analysis (he did a series for the original Nier and it was great).

Other than that, I dunno...

SuperBunnyHop

Writing on Games

Those're about the only two serious discussions I've seen that aren't just general reviews.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
heh, i'm at the part where the title of this thread references. now i get it :)

whoa...who are those 2 girls that appear when 2b is choking 9S after killing eve? i don't remember seeing them in the first playthrough. are they the twins that appear to give you the scanner to find 9S?

Ladekabel

Finished the game with A,B,C,D and E ending yesterday and bought all the remaining achievements.

I read that there is a little something that you'll only get if you're playing the game and not from watching it. I think I missed that. What was it?

heh, i'm at the part where the title of this thread references. now i get it :)

whoa...who are those 2 girls that appear when 2b is choking 9S after killing eve? i don't remember seeing them in the first playthrough. are they the twins that appear to give you the scanner to find 9S?

You'll find out in Route C.

Top Bottom