• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

So played the demo to completion and I'm not sure how I feel about it so far.

Coming from someone who's never properly played a Platinum game for more than 10 minutes because they feel too arcadey, this felt like something I'd prefer to their regular fair.

Few issues though. The perspective changes didn't feel good at all. Characters became a dot on the screen that I could barely follow. Combat was pretty standard hack and slash (I guess what fans of the genre would call "Character action games"), not really seeing anything that makes me go WoW though so far.

Also a few questions. Is this just an action game or is it a JRPG? The demo feels very much like a regular action game, however, I was under the impression that Nier was an RPG? I've not been following this game super close, even though I thought it looked cool. If it leans towards some heavier RPG elements with a 25 hour + play time I'll probably pick the game up. If it's just an action game with a less than 15 hour play time I'll probably have to give it a dodge since I'm pretty skint right now and the game comes out at a time period where it competes with two major RPGs that are on my buy list, so it needs to have play time value for me to be able to justify spending the money.
The original Nier was an action RPG. To me, the game came off as "What if you took Zelda and made it depressing as heck?". Add in a few more RPG elements (level up, loot, more robust magic) and there you have it.

Hektor

I mean sure if you only look at individual aspects of OG nier and compare it to other games who specialize on the compared trait exclusively like the combat, nier is drawing the short stick, but the entie point behind nier is to do more than one thing, the sum of the parts and all, and comparing singular traits is straight up unfair to it.

wmlk

Yeah, while this game doesn't evoke the same feel as Nier as I thought it would, it can still turn out fantastic at the end. I mean, I went into Nier having OK expectations other than the OST and it delivered. Especially those short visual novel sections, damn.

Sophia

The removal of lock-on for Hard/Very Hard mode is disappointing. The analog stick controls are simply not satisfactory for both aiming your ranged attack and traditional character action gameplay simultaneously.

Also, the controls are unusually sloppy for Platinum. Lock-on is a toggle if it's put on L3, but becomes a hold when it's on L2? Why can't I decide that instead?

That being said, when the game's combat clicks, it's insanely good. It really feels old-school arcadey at times when you're fighting enemies and there's a large spawn of them. The fact that Very Hard basically has stuff one-shot you reinforces this element.

If I get this, I'd probably get it for PC because I can use the Steam Controller to correct all these annoying control issues myself. Plus turning fire into a toggle instead of having to hold it all the time.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It was pretty mediocre (decent at best). I can enjoy games pretty easily myself, but I can see why one would just scrap the action from the previous game and focus on something new.

Thing is though, this is basically a much more polished and slightly tweaked version of the combat system in the original game; the similarity is a lot more obvious when the "magic" system is factored in.

Obviously the demo, which I suspect is just the prologue/intro of the game proper, doesn't show this well. But for fans who've been avidly following every bit of pre-release footage, its very apparent that this is recognizably more of the same.

Also a few questions. Is this just an action game or is it a JRPG? The demo feels very much like a regular action game, however, I was under the impression that Nier was an RPG? I've not been following this game super close, even though I thought it looked cool. If it leans towards some heavier RPG elements with a 25 hour + play time I'll probably pick the game up. If it's just an action game with a less than 15 hour play time I'll probably have to give it a dodge since I'm pretty skint right now and the game comes out at a time period where it competes with two major RPGs that are on my buy list, so it needs to have play time value for me to be able to justify spending the money.

The devs have stated it'll be like 40+ hours, but don't go in expecting anything especially deep in terms of RPG mechanics. The first Nier's 'RPG-ness' is really overstated, in my opinion. While there are some extremely light elements of the genre, in practice it plays much more like a 3D Zelda game. You have a hub-like overworld with a few towns, you'll go into dungeons, earn a new power in each, then fight a cool boss. The actual gameplay was just like Automata's, just worse, basically. It was character action done poorly.

Nier's RPG mechanics pretty much entirely consisted of that 'LEVEL UP' message you see in the Automata demo (which just makes you generally stronger, you're never going to be allocating stat points), some items you can equip to your weapons for minor buffs, and a bunch of fetch quest side missions. I imagine most of these will be present in Automata, and maybe the side quests will actually be good this time :p

Zolo

Thing is though, this is basically a much more polished and slightly tweaked version of the combat system in the original game; the similarity is a lot more obvious when the "magic" system is factored in.

Obviously the demo, which I suspect is just the prologue/intro of the game proper, doesn't show this well. But for fans who've been avidly following every bit of pre-release footage, its very apparent that this is recognizably more of the same.

Haven't played the demo yet, so didn't want to say anything concrete. :S

Jarmel

Banned
I really hate how many 'Bullet Hell' mini sequences there are. It completey interrupts the flow of the combat sections.

Mediking

The removal of lock-on for Hard/Very Hard mode is disappointing. The analog stick controls are simply not satisfactory for both aiming your ranged attack and traditional character action gameplay simultaneously.

Also, the controls are unusually sloppy for Platinum. Lock-on is a toggle if it's put on L3, but becomes a hold when it's on L2? Why can't I decide that instead?

That being said, when the game's combat clicks, it's insanely good. It really feels old-school arcadey at times when you're fighting enemies and there's a large spawn of them. The fact that Very Hard basically has stuff one-shot you reinforces this element.

If I get this, I'd probably get it for PC because I can use the Steam Controller to correct all these annoying control issues myself. Plus turning fire into a toggle instead of having to hold it all the time.

Hey Sophia! Whats up?

Really happy to hear you enjoyed the demo too.

My only complaint is similar to yours. Holding L2 for lock-on is just bad.

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of all the strange constantly changing camera angles. Kinda threw me off quite a number of times.

Combat seems pretty fun, and there's clearly a lot that's not on display in the demo.

I'm not cancelling my pre-order, but I don't think it's made me any more excited.

LotusHD

Banned
I disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ1pZhoccG0

Thats the best goddamn track I have heard in years on a game.

When that last phase of the boss started with this music I felt something I havent felt since I played the Bayonetta demo all those years ago.

You're both wrong. The track where you first encounter the entirety of the Goliath mech is the best song in the demo - https://youtu.be/GLslMw2Zb6k

The song starts at the perfect time too, right when the large ass mech lands with the large ass thud. Lets you immediately know that shit is about to go down.

I really hate how many 'Bullet Hell' mini sequences there are. It completey interrupts the flow of the combat sections.

Nier is both. Bullet Hell only interrupts the combat as much as combat does the same to the bullet hell sections. And who knows what other genre switches there will be in the full game. Nier 1 had a literal text adventure section.

Nier is all of this. Appreciate the entirety of this insane package.

-Horizon-

I really enjoyed that demo, my preorder stands. Really smooth gameplay. I'm pretty sure I missed a couple of secret paths. Gonna replay it later.

Sophia

Hey Sophia! Whats up?

Really happy to hear you enjoyed the demo too.

My only complaint is similar to yours. Holding L2 for lock-on is just bad.

I dunno if I'd say I enjoyed it. I go back and fourth on liking it and not liking it. It definitely doesn't feel as finely tuned as Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising.

I'm not sure if this is just me because of my color-blindness or not, but I have difficulty seeing when the enemy attacks too. Caused more then my fair share of deaths.

It does however make me wish to play the original Nier now, as I've never played it.

I really do thing I'd enjoy it much more on PC rather then PS4 tho. Ultrawide display + superior controls via Steam Controller or KB/M.

Nier is both. Bullet Hell only interrupts the combat as much as combat does the same to the bullet hell sections. And who knows what other genre switches there will be in the full game. Nier 1 had a literal text adventure section.

This game certainly violates the KISS principle, for both good and bad reasons. I do enjoy the bullet hell sequences tho.

Jarmel

Banned

The bullet hell stuff is pretty boring though and it largely involves just holding down R2 and running in a circle. The sequences got old really quick.

I would rather do multiple text adventures than this many bullet hell parts.

The music isn't doing much for me in the demo, unfortunately; however, other tracks I've heard from the game in other showings live up to the original.

Jarmel

Banned
The music isn't doing much for me in the demo, unfortunately; however, other tracks I've heard from the game in other showings live up to the original.
Yea the OST is surprisingly lacking considering what we've heard from other sources. It sounds much more generic than I expected.

The bullet hell stuff is pretty boring though and it largely involves just holding down R2 and running in a circle. The sequences got old really quick.

It makes a bit more sense on Hard where there's actually a sense of danger when you're being swarmed, but even on Normal I still enjoy the change of pace compared to other action games, alongside the way the boss battle progresses. This combat system isn't built for pure combos on combos, so hell yeah throw me into every other scenario possible. 3D bullet hell, 2D combat, top down twin stick shooter, huge spectacle sections, flying mech nonsense, whatever.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Probably not the game for you then.

Objectively the machine gun is just the original game's "dark blast" ability reskinned and made innate. Its main function is to clear incoming shots, as even when maxed out it pales in stopping power compared the heavy hitting ranged attacks like "dark fist" (the hammer-type pod ability in automata) or "dark lance".

Judging from the previews there are a lot more than the 8 original "Sealed Verse" abilities too, although all seen so far are functionally more or less identical to those in Nier.

It does? I'm gonna swear that L2 was also toggle too when I played the japanese demo last night.

But yeah, since you can't use it in hard mode I changed my controls to L2(dodge), L1(fire), R1/R2(light/heavy attack), this way I can control the camera while fighting. R3 to weapon switch and L3 to use the pod's laser.

Also turned off that horizontal/vertical crap that makes the camera be really close to the ground when you start fighting.

Jarmel

Banned
It makes a bit more sense on Hard where there's actually a sense of danger when you're being swarmed, but even on Normal I still enjoy the change of pace compared to other action games, alongside the way the boss battle progresses. This combat system isn't built for pure combos on combos, so hell yeah throw me into every other scenario possible. 3D bullet hell, 2D combat, top down twin stick shooter, huge spectacle sections, flying mech nonsense, whatever.
I beat the demo on Hard twice and never really felt challenged from the bullet hell sequences. Actually the game itself is pretty easy due to the iframes and how insanely generous the dodging mechanics are. The sequences are just boring but I might be able to tolerate or even semi-like them if not for how many there are. Any time there's a semi-groove going with the combat arenas, one of the BH sequences would pop up.

Sophia

It does? I'm gonna swear that L2 was also toggle too when I played the japanese demo last night.

But yeah, since you can't use it in hard mode I changed my controls to L2(dodge), L1(fire), R1/R2(light/heavy attack), this way I can control the camera while fighting. R3 to weapon switch and L3 to use the pod's laser.

Also turned off that horizontal/vertical crap that makes the camera be really close to the ground when you start fighting.

Yeah, I've done a similar setup. It does make the game easier. I do like your setup tho.

Also what's this about horizontal/vertical crap you turned off?

Miker

Anybody else find that you have to dodge earlier than expected for not-witch time to trigger? I've played pretty much all of Platinum's other games and I have to force myself dodge a tiny little bit earlier than I normally would.

Labolas

Played 3-4 times now, it's great. VashTSB seemed pretty positive about it as well. It's certainly a Nier game from the bullet hell section to how to 2B climbs a ladder. Really a great showcase for the game.

Gravity Rush you're next.
latest

The devs are pulling off some serious moves in bullet hell sequences.
Check this out: https://youtu.be/ARHVKZ5K1b0?t=58

I'd forgotten about that trailer, dat music.

I disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ1pZhoccG0

Thats the best goddamn track I have heard in years on a game.

When that last phase of the boss started with this music I felt something I havent felt since I played the Bayonetta demo all those years ago.

You're all mad, the best one is this one for sure

Edit; beaten by a HD Lotus

Both are so good. I've been obsessed with the music used in the Legendary/Iconic Weapons trailer, too.

Kindekuma

Banned
I'm going for a 3rd play through of the demo tonight but with a higher difficulty.

Been thinking about the combat today a lot, I need more of it lol

Baalzebup

Anybody else find that you have to dodge earlier than expected for not-witch time to trigger? I've played pretty much all of Platinum's other games and I have to force myself dodge a tiny little bit earlier than I normally would.
Yeah, the window is very generous but there seems to be no back-end saving feature like The Bat Within or its equals in other games, so starting the dodge earlier makes perfect sense. Especially since there are a few attacks that are faster than they seem, like the medium robot's non-jumping stomp and the medium shield-variants shield slam.

I beat the demo on Hard twice and never really felt challenged from the bullet hell sequences. Actually the game itself is pretty easy due to the iframes and how insanely generous the dodging mechanics are. The sequences are just boring but I might be able to tolerate or even semi-like them if not for how many there are. Any time there's a semi-groove going with the combat arenas, one of the BH sequences would pop up.

I think the difference for me is that I look at it the same way I do The Wonderful 101. There is no "groove with the combat" for me, the groove comes from the seamless mixing and matching of everything that's happening. All the camera angle changes, the core combat, the ranged combat, the bullet hell, the huge boss, the rail shooter, etc. In the full game there will be open world/hubs to break this stuff up, as well as whatever drugs Yoko Taro was on at each particular unique moment.

I sympathize with wanting more focus or liking the core combat more than anything else, but this is simply not that game, and I think they chose this particular vertical slice to make that clear.

Miker

Yeah, the window is very generous but there seems to be no back-end saving feature like The Bat Within or its equals in other games, so starting the dodge earlier makes perfect sense. Especially since there are a few attacks that are faster than they seem, like the medium robot's non-jumping stomp and the medium shield-variants shield slam.

Good to know it's not just me. It's actually been screwing me up because I've been trained to wait for the very last second.

I liked it quite a bit. Definitely seems like it'll be worth the $39 I'm getting it for.

Liked the gameplay overall but there was a couple things I never understood like the circle with the number counting down that popped up a couple times. Not sure what I even did to get that to happen.

And is there a block mechanic or just that dodge? It felt like something was missing and I think it was because I kept wanting to block + counter. Also maybe throw some punches along with sword attacks. I think it was 'O' that didnt do anything? I wanted to punch some shit.

And
at the last boss when I had that mech guy was there anything to do besides shoot? I could swing the big ass sword but not hit anything? Seemed kind of lame.
I may have just not known wtf I was doing though.

The best part about it for my house was easy mode where it automates almost everything. My 3 year old daughter went through it pretty easily (aside from navigating the stairs) and I could tell she felt like a badass so that was cool.

Sophia

Ahahaha. I broke two demos in one day. Go me.

Turns out, if you cancel the cutscene at just the right time, the event never triggers and you can go off the edge of the map after running far enough.

Caim

Kinda hope you could cancel into changing weapons sets. Would be kinda broken, but would look super cool.

If you mean for example:

Small sword as your light weapon on Set 1, but also your heavy weapon on Set 2 and then combo with them can. It depends on the move you're trying to do though. You can heavy large sword launcher into air light small sword then weapon set swap into air heavy small sword.

Baalzebup

I liked it quite a bit. Definitely seems like it'll be worth the $39 I'm getting it for.

Liked the gameplay overall but there was a couple things I never understood like the circle with the number counting down that popped up a couple times. Not sure what I even did to get that to happen.

And is there a block mechanic or just that dodge? It felt like something was missing and I think it was because I kept wanting to block + counter. Also maybe throw some punches along with sword attacks. I think it was 'O' that didnt do anything? I wanted to punch some shit.

The best part about it for my house was easy mode where it automates almost everything. My 3 year old daughter went through it pretty easily (aside from navigating the stairs) and I could tell she felt like a badass so that was cool.
The countdown circle is for the laser blast, the only Pod ability in the game, which you fire with L1 by default. You get it mid-way from the first buzz-saw arm fight. No block mechanic seen so far in the game, nor is there any indication of one being intended. This time the counters are from the dodges.

You can also totally punch and kick shit, you just need to go to the menu and "equip" your bare fists in the weapons menu. Totally viable solution for your anti-robot needs. The O does have some combat function in that you can do a few random finishers on the smaller robots if you knock 'em down on their asses.

LotusHD

Banned
I fkin love the bullet hell sections tbh.

Same. Honestly this game can do whatever it wants, I'm all for a game that embraces its weirdness and doesn't confine itself to a single genre. Even if it ends up frustrating me, I appreciate having something so greatly different from what I normally play.

The countdown circle is for the laser blast, the only Pod ability in the game, which you fire with L1 by default. You get it mid-way from the first buzz-saw arm fight. No block mechanic seen so far in the game, nor is there any indication of one being intended. This time the counters are from the dodges.

You can also totally punch and kick shit, you just need to go to the menu and "equip" your bare fists in the weapons menu. Totally viable solution for your anti-robot needs. The O does have some combat function in that you can do a few random finishers on the smaller robots if you knock 'em down on their asses.

huh cool. I figured there was a bunch of little things I was missing. Guess I'll have to play it another time or two and maybe up the difficulty. I guess as far as the dodge instead of block goes I'll play it more and get used to it hopefully.

Yeah, I've done a similar setup. It does make the game easier. I do like your setup tho.

Also what's this about horizontal/vertical crap you turned off?

Can't remember the exact name, it's in the settings. Not the camera speed, it's the other one that has a horizontal/vertical setting. It changes the camera position when the combat starts, putting it at the floor level, which is terrible in an action game IMO. It might look cool, but it ruins your distance perception.

Pursuit speed is also important if you want your character to be in the center of the screen at all times.

JBwB

Apart from a few issues with the combat I liked everything about it.

The music in particular is quite great actually.

Top Bottom