• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

Closed again. A thread consisting of only one sentence is allowed to exist, but one with the same point and a lot of effort put into it isn't? That makes no goddamn sense

There's a pretty obvious difference between the two. The Nioh thread was created by someone taking the temperature on the game, if you will - a quick "are you buying it? why/why not?" is pretty different starting point for discussion from a fan pouring their heart and free time into what is essentially an OT for people to get hyped and "spread the word."

Just chill, folks. I'm excited as shit for Automata as well. There's a whole month to go before it comes out, and there will be plenty of news and preview threads to discuss the game in before the monolithic OT arrives.

entremet

I played the demo and it's decent. Not crazy impressed. I will get it, though. I do love the expansive level design.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Played and finished the demo last - very impressive. I loved all the insane action and quirkiness typical of Platinum. Cool atmosphere, and characters, everything was intriguing and super fun to play - perfect controls and framerate too. Visuals were technically awesome on the Pro, but It did look a little drab stylistically. I saw a more colorful looking environments in the trailer, so it's probably just the demo level.

I assume you don't need to play the previous two games to understand this one? It's a war in a distant future against androids vs oldschool machines that have more primitive AI, and people are long extinct, right? I remember someone saying that people expecting a typical crazy Platinum action out of this game are in for a rude awakening - I guess based on the previous two entries in the series - which I never played or was really aware of?

The demo was also on an easy side in Normal mode, I felt like I took quote a few hits, and still lived, I did't die once in the whole demo. Not that I was terrible or anything, but it seems easier than Bayonetta for example.

Hektor

I assume you don't need to play the previous two games to understand this one? It's a war in a distant future against androids vs oldschool machines that have more primitive AI, and people are long extinct, right? I remember someone saying that people expecting a typical crazy Platinum action out of this game are in for a rude awakening - I guess based on the previous two entries in the series - which I never played or was really aware of?

Depending on how you count, there are either 1 (Nier) or 3 previous games in the franchise (Nier + Drakengard 1 and 3), as they all are set, despite carrying different names, in the same universe, similar to FFXII, FFTactics and Vagrant Story.

The games all have isolated, character driven stories that don't require you to know about the other games at all, but there are connections of one game being the cause/effect of another game and such, as well as certain characters reappearing and events being mentioned.

When talking about rude awaking for people expecting pure platinum action, it's meant that these games are much more than just straight forward action games, even if they look like one at first contact, especially the first Nier.

Nier had a lot of non-action content like small puzzles, platforming moments, farming, fishing, a lot of middlelong cutscenes and even two really long text adventure segments,

Furthermore the creator loves to troll and punish the audience and do things that go against common expecations, like locking the ending of Drakengard 1 in such a way that it becomes literally impossible to finish the game without a guide or having the last boss be
a rythmgame.

He also wanted to implement a boss in Nier: Automata who's abilities include the intentional drop of the framerates, tho he apparently wasn't allowed to.

Basically, it's okay to expect good action, but you set yourself up for disappointment if you want it to be only action.

It's mostly just repeated because there were quite a few people here on GAF who called it "literally MGR2" after seeing the first bits of gameplay.

The demo was also on an easy side in Normal mode, I felt like I took quote a few hits, and still lived, I did't die once in the whole demo. Not that I was terrible or anything, but it seems easier than Bayonetta for example.

Normal was definitely too easy, hard is the way to go for the release version if you're somewhat experienced.

If you want a really good challenge, you can try playing on very hard aka one-hit mode

kromeo

Was always going to buy this but thought I might as well finally play the demo. So good, not sure how the demo is supposed to be difficulty wise, I never came close to dying on normal

Top Bottom