• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

So is there a big difference between OG PS4 and PS4 Pro?
Better AA
improvement with the framerate but the PS4 does well to reach 60fps as well
resolution increase from 900p to 1080p
The demo also has better framerate on Pro, has increased AF, and adds object-based motion blur (which I think is optional?).

As for the resolution, yes the Pro only goes to 1080p over the standard 900p in the demo. But the AA is so much improved on Pro that I suspect the final game might be higher still. (Basically, if you're doing very high amounts of MSAA you could probably choose to render more pixels instead.)

He wasn't replaced, Japan had two versions, we just got the adult man version
This isn't exactly true. While Japan did have two versions, neither of them was the old man.* This was Nier in part one:
nierpartonekijr2.png

And this was him in part two:
nierparttwoaejk3.png

There was still a change to the character in the Western version, but he started older so it's much less drastic. Part one:
niergpartonealj3r.png

And in part two:
niergparttwoquk4x.png

There were other character changes too, but that's (severe) spoiler territory.

* I think Japan did get DLC with the oldboy Nier.

I like the diversity and uniqueness that Papa Busey brought to the game, but I prefer Brother Nier's story. The way his character changes dramatically over the course of the game is really neat.

I wish both versions were brought to the US. I would double dip in a heartbeat.

Kanann

Japanese copy can change language (s) like in demo version. I just asked PG pr about this because I luckily have 10000 yen on my PSN JP account and want to DL import it before real western/Asia version release.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I like the diversity and uniqueness that Papa Busey brought to the game, but I prefer Brother Nier's story. The way his character changes dramatically over the course of the game is really neat.

I wish both versions were brought to the US. I would double dip in a heartbeat.

I agree both are pretty good and Ending D makes way more sense for brother Nier than Papa.

Kanann

PlatinumGames "Yes, the Japanese version of the full product has English support, just like the demo!"

He even answer with ! mark

So, if you waste 8400 yen on 23th February and no changeable language inside, please put the blame on him, not me!

Jiraiza

Japanese copy can change language (s) like in demo version. I just asked PG pr about this because I luckily have 10000 yen on my PSN JP account and want to DL import it before real western/Asia version release.

Nice. I know what I'll be streaming on the day of. Though that begs the question, why is the game not getting a worldwide simultaneous release?

Squire

Banned
Please buy this game:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=229208460#post229208460

Nice. I know what I'll be streaming on the day of. Though that begs the question, why is the game not getting a worldwide simultaneous release?

It may as well be a PS4 exclusive for the time being and if it released on the same day in the west, it'd be competing with Horizon. March 7 is a pretty good date. Obviously it's post-Switch/Zelda, which isn't great, but they couldn't have known that at the time they decided to release it then. At least they're making an effort.

Jiraiza

It may as well be a PS4 exclusive for the time being and if it released on the same day in the west, it'd be competing with Horizon. March 7 is a pretty good date. Obviously it's post-Switch/Zelda, which isn't great, but they couldn't have known that at the time they decided to release it then. At least they're making an effort.

Zelda, Shmelda. In any case, I gotta go buy some Japanese PSN cards. Might have to rethink buying a physical PS4 copy when it comes out over here. Still double-dipping for PC, though.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The statement that the demo takes place at the halfway point is interesting.

In case anyone missed this, the statement that it takes place at the halfway point was a mistranslation; the actual quote was that its from close to the beginning of the game, but not the very beginning.

In case anyone missed this, the statement that it takes place at the halfway point was a mistranslation; the actual quote was that its from close to the beginning of the game, but not the very beginning.
That's reassuring. I was a little nervous since shit was going down hard at the midway point of the first game.

Zelda, Shmelda. In any case, I gotta go buy some Japanese PSN cards. Might have to rethink buying a physical PS4 copy when it comes out over here. Still double-dipping for PC, though.
I havent enjoyed 3D zelda much ever, but BOTW has really piqued my interest. It cant even hope to compare in my head with how excited I am for this game though.

I'm thinking about getting the Japanese version if it has English options. 2 weeks early is 2 weeks early....

Has that been confirmed? And is that both english voice and text? Want to import the game but may hold off until I know for sure which (if any) version has full english voice and text.

I'm a little salty after finding out Japan gets it early. May look into importing a physical copy with Play-Asia - they've been good to me.

Nya

Is it true that the Japanese version of the game will have English translation? If so, I might actually buy the game from the JP store, skip Horizon Zero Dawn, and play it early!!

Jiraiza

Is it true that the Japanese version of the game will have English translation? If so, I might actually buy the game from the JP store, skip Horizon Zero Dawn, and play it early!!

Supposedly.

On another note, did anyone manage to hear the full song of 命にふさわしい (Suitable For Life)? It's the single song by amazarashi. Lyrics are pretty chilling.

And as a reminder, the game will be unlocked on the Japanese PSN on February 22 @ 7AM PST for those importing. I know I'll be up at like 6ish, ready to play.

@Wreck

Please buy this game:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=229208460#post229208460

your link is blocked for some reason do you have the regular non mobile version?

marmoka

Banned
I finally played the demo last night, and they sold me the game. I will get it as soon as it drops from 50 euros (I never buy games above 50, unless some expections).

Those who have played Bayonetta should have found the controls very similar and easy to play.

I loved Bayonetta, I will love Nier:Automata

Oh, wow.

I just tried the demo this morning.

I went from a "I'll pick this up when it's cheap if it gets good reviews" to a "day 1". That was incredible.

Wulv

Neo Member
Just tried the demo. I'm really enjoying it so far as I'm not well versed in this genre of game. Which also leads me to a few questions for those in the know.

Is there, will there be, more depth to the released version or is this just a hack and slash game throughout? Skill upgrades, weapon upgrades, etc.

Am I missing something in the demo, because all I've been doing is downing one enemy and moving to the next? It's very fun, but Im thinking I can upgrade some skills in this demo. I just may be missing the obvious.

Hektor

Just tried the demo. I'm really enjoying it so far as I'm not well versed in this genre of game. Which also leads me to a few questions for those in the know.

Is there, will there be, more depth to the released version or is this just a hack and slash game throughout? Skill upgrades, weapon upgrades, etc.

Am I missing something in the demo, because all I've been doing is downing one enemy and moving to the next? It's very fun, but Im thinking I can upgrade some skills in this demo. I just may be missing the obvious.

The release version will have combat skills as well as weapon upgrade and invidual character upgrades. For the latter two you can take a look at them in the main menu of the demo, tho the demo doesn't really allow you to do anything with those.

It alos won't be a 'just a hack and slash' as Nier is a lot about genre shifting elements. Things like fishing minigames were confirmed and shown as well.

killatopak

Gold Member

Previous game had different weapon types, magic, level, weapon upgrades, passive skills, multitude of usable items.

Some videos I've seen has skill trees available for automata. I can only imagine they added more from the previous games.

Jiraiza

Did you explore the menu? There's definitely going to be more depth than what's in the demo. RPG mechanics aside, there's creativity to be had in the combat too if you take the time to explore it.

Wulv

Neo Member
Did you explore the menu? There's definitely going to be more depth than what's in the demo. RPG mechanics aside, there's creativity to be had in the combat too if you take the time to explore it.

Haven't explored it enough. Thanks for the heads up.

Battlechili

Banned
I played this on a relative's PS4 and I was disappointed that there isn't much in terms of story in the demo. I know its just a demo, but the strongest parts of Drakengard and Nier games are the plots. The demo didn't really tease anything.

The smooth transitions between different camera perspectives and different gameplay styles was really cool though. It flowed much more naturally than it did in the original Nier.

LotusHD

Banned
I played this on a relative's PS4 and I was disappointed that there isn't much in terms of story in the demo. I know its just a demo, but the strongest parts of Drakengard and Nier games are the plots. The demo didn't really tease anything.

The smooth transitions between different camera perspectives and different gameplay styles was really cool though. It flowed much more naturally than it did in the original Nier.

An explosion at the end that seemingly killed the protagonists didn't tease anything?

Coda

Pretty sure they're still be plenty of story, just in between levels is my guess.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

FYI its already known that the demo is apart of the actual story. Its supposed to take place in the middle, but heavily implied to be apart of the plot twist and only makes sense in context

For those that were worried about it, I'll probably be reposting the hype thread with a "Not an OT" disclaimer and a focus on getting the game out there. (Those were apparently the main issues with it before.)

Squire

Banned
FYI its already known that the demo is apart of the actual story. Its supposed to take place in the middle, but heavily implied to be apart of the plot twist and only makes sense in context

Apparently that comment was mistranslated though. The demo is supposedly an amalgamation of scenes from near the beginning of the game, but not the very start.

Squire

Banned
mistranslation? that sucks

The persons was translating a Chinese stream into Japanese into English I believe, so it's understandable. I'm sure the things in the demo that are intriguing still will be in context.

Like,
the black box reaction
still happens at some point. We know that for sure. I'm not much less worried now than I was before.

Dude needs to take the loss, no one will care time spent. Welcome to the real world.

Don't include a ton of bullet points, do a couple of paragraphs and hyperlinks in sentences etc

When they coming for you. You can't even get close to what they don't want.

Top Bottom