• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Ferr986

I love Nier 1 story but surprised about the praises this one is getting, considering it was ignored with the first game reviews and reviewers don't tend to like "anime" stories as much. Seems like it's going to be more Nier and less Drakengard.

dugdug

Banned
Strange request, but, are any of these Nier reviews by people who didn't really like Platinum's previous work?

I'm not a huge fan of theirs, so, I'm curious if anyone else came from that angle.

NeoRaider

Not complaining about particular scores at all, but I'll never get IGN and especially Gameinformer systems.

Why not 8.8 or 9.0? What makes it worth exactly 7.75 and not 7.7 or 7.8? Do they just punch two possible scores in a random number generator and let it decide between them?

It's just... stupid imo.

I'm not even half way thru horizon,I want atelier firis, episode gladio for ffxv is March 28th along with KH 1.5+2.5 and MLB is the end of March...fuck

Aeana

So it looks like biggest "-" are:

-Performance issues.
-"Empty" open-world.
-Side missions.

Third one is weird since I thought the side missions were one of the strongest points. They all have great (often very depressing) story attached and none of them felt like a slog. Probably the biggest improvement over the original Nier.

Blobbers

I haven't finished Gravity Rush 2, Horizon or Nioh post game yet. Mouse is hovering over the pre-order button. Brain, please be reasonable.

Ratrat

meh who cares, the reviews are really good now. It's by FAR the best reviewed Taro game.
I already knew they would be good. The games been out in Japan, its a great success. It just would have been an amusing upstart if it became the highest rated PS4 game. It still might....

Hektor

I love Nier 1 story but surprised about the praises this one is getting, considering it was ignored with the first game reviews and reviewers don't tend to like "anime" stories as much. Seems like it's going to be more Nier and less Drakengard.

Nier 2 is surprisingly un-anime outside the fan service and one specific trope imho

Strange request, but, are any of these Nier reviews by people who didn't really like Platinum's previous work?

I'm not a huge fan of theirs, so, I'm curious if anyone else came from that angle.

It honestly doesn't feel like a platinum game at all if thats what youre worried about. The combat is also platinum-lite

Labolas

tumblr_mpf9awluGM1roiioto6_400.gif

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Third one is weird since I thought the side missions were one of the strongest points. They all have great (often very depressing) story attached and none of them felt like a slot. Probably the biggest improvement over the original Nier.

Yeah I agree. I was very surprised and impressed. It's not the Witcher 3 in depth but the writing is always excellent and contains memorable stories and characters

Third one is weird since I thought the side missions were one of the strongest points. They all have great (often very depressing) story attached and none of them felt like a slog. Probably the biggest improvement over the original Nier.

Maybe they are critisizing the actual design, rather the story.

I second this request. I'm interested in N:A for Yoko Taro's weirdness, but I never actually played a Platinum game and liked it.

ty_hot

Not complaining about particular scores at all, but I'll never get IGN and especially Gameinformer systems.

Why not 8.8 or 9.0? What makes it worth exactly 7.75 and not 7.7 or 7.8? Do they just punch two possible scores in a random number generator and let it decide between them?

Possibly checking the same reviewer scores for other games. A 8.9 is a game a little bit better than a 8.8 and a little worse than a 9.0.

In the IGN case: the reviewer gave 8.8 to Tales of Berseria and 8.9 to Nier Automata.
http://opencritic.com/critic/194/meghan-sullivan

Aeana

Maybe they are critisizing the actual design, rather the story.

But as I mentioned, the design is pretty good too. There weren't any side missions in the game where I felt like "I can't believe I have to do this crap," which there is so much of in the first Nier. It was all very reasonable.

This is great to see. Guess I've been lucky to have all my anticipated games turn out so well. Did not expect this game to be received so well but that should hopefully mean it has the potential to appeal to the general audience. Good job Yoko taro and team platinum.

addik

I was expecting this game to get low 80s even if I'm loving every minute of it so far.

But holy shit it's actually holding on to 90 holy shit Yoko Taro + Platinum have finally done it!

Top Bottom