• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Christhor

It certainly made me comprehend Nier's reception even less. I really didn't feel a 20% difference, but then again I also never thought the first game had bad gameplay. Combat is more polished in the new game, but the first had way more variety for different gameplay styles (and never became bad by doing that). Doing sidequests sucks again. They both have equal high tense gameplay moments. There's less weird design choices like the wrong fishing spot at the right place, but Automata has way more glitches.

You forget that the most important factor for reviews is hype before the game comes out. It's similar to Mass Effect to use a current example, it may very well not be a great game, but if people weren't bashing it so much before release due to faces and animations, it would have absolutely reviewed much higher.

Also the Square PR thing at the ending of ending A, it's pretty ridiculous that they had to include that, but there's been plenty of reviews of Taro Yoko's games where the reviewer clearly stopped after the first ending.

Jeffrey

Also feel like while the overall va is good (in English). Nier 1 had some better highs which is a bit unfair due to the larger party of 'humans'. 9s still has a bit of anime dub voice going on.

This game reminds me of how amazingly powerful emil's cry/laugh is. Kills me so bad.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
9S is the best english VA in the game, not even lying. A2 is my second favorite....Eve is pretty good too.

Weirdly enough i love the pod acting too, such deadpan gives so many lols with A2

Eumi

Also feel like while the overall va is good (in English). Nier 1 had some better highs which is a bit unfair due to the larger party of 'humans'. 9s still has a bit of anime dub voice going on.

This game reminds me of how amazingly powerful emil's cry/laugh is. Kills me so bad.
9S starts mediocre, but has some goddamn amazing scenes in route C. He managed to not make his mental breakdown sound silly.

Jeffrey

9S starts mediocre, but has some goddamn amazing scenes in route C. He managed to not make his mental breakdown sound silly.
Idk. Still a bit of edge lord going on. Doesn't help that he looks really similar to dante in the dmc reboot lol.

Something else that I noticed was just how accepting the party was with going to pascal's Village and doing side quests for the 'enemy'. Actually for the most part 2b seemed chill about them where 9s is the one doing the discriminating,but that could be due to the constant reformatting. Makes you wonder if 2b has a past with machines. You don't actually get too much of her back story in this game.

A2 absorbing her memories is probably what kept her from killing pascal to begin with and to ultimately help them out. Because otherwise it wouldn't make too much sense for someone who's been fine with killing machine king babies to befriending machines within an hr lol.

Joe Molotov

Do status effects only happen on higher difficulties? I had all these Cure potions, but the only time I got hit with any status effects was at the beginning of Route C after 2B's unit gets hit with an EMP. I thought after that I'd be fighting a lot of EMP enemies, but I never saw any other ones. I was playing on Normal, are there more on Hard?

Arkeband

Banned
How do I approach Ending E without losing my save data?

Where I'm at: Ending D

What happens: Pod starts talking over glitching credits asking if I should halt the deletion of data (?)

What I did: Closed the game and backed up my save file to USB.

Guide my hand, GAF, I want a save file with all of the letters of the alphabet and also updated system file to get the last title screen.

Joe Molotov

What happens: Pod starts talking over glitching credits asking if I should halt the deletion of data (?)

Guide my hand, GAF, I want a save file with all of the letters of the alphabet and also updated system file to get the last title screen.

Say "Yes" to halt deletion of data. Say "Yes" to do you want to save them.

When it comes time to possibly delete your save, the game will specifically tell you, "Choosing this option will delete all your saves, are you sure this is what you to do?"

Eumi

The game will not delete your data without outright stating and confirming it will (so not at the point you were at).

Ending E can be gotten without deleting data.

If you're scum.

True Fire

The game asks you a billion times if you actually want to delete your save data. It's not something you can accidentally choose

Hybris

Just finished this last night and had some time to let it simmer. I love this game. Taro shows his brilliance once again! I'm going to share my thoughts on what I felt were the strong/weak points of the game, and how it compares to the original.

First on the gameplay. Platinum did a great job on this game. I love Metal Gear Rising, and this game plays extremely similar to that one did in terms of combat and combo flow. They even brought back Sam's taunt and gave it to A2. Two things they kinda fell flat on though was the difficulty scaling and the boss battles. For reference, I played the game on Hard mode from start to finish.

It started off brutally difficult, but as you get access to more powerful chips, the game is trivialized. I think the balance was off because if you screwed up and lost all or most of you powerful chips, you could end up very under powered. The option they went with was to design the game around having lower powered chips. But if you still have all your high powered ones, you just roll through everything without any difficulty.

Next, boss battles. IMO the original Nier had the more interesting and varied encounters by a long shot. In Automata.. idk they just all felt so samey and the majority were complete pushovers (which may be a result of the powerful chips I was talking about above). In Nier, you had to learn each bosses patterns and know when to go on the offensive or to play defensively. I just didn't get that feeling in Automata I just put up blades and attacked relentlessly until the boss died in about 10-15 seconds. There are some good ones though (the opera probably being my favorite).

Now on the story/characters and the different routes. Route A was solid. It properly set up the story and characters on both the android side and the machine side. At the end it left me craving more as it should have. I wanted to know more about Adam and Eve. I wanted to know why 2B seemed so emotionally attached to 9S even from very beginning of the game. I wanted some more backstory on A2. I wanted to know what secrets yorha command was hiding! I was successfully hooked in.

Then Route B started... and I found myself disappointed from the very start. This route was definitely the low point in the game for me. Don't get me wrong, I love 9S as a character, but playing as him was so incredibly boring. I felt like the enjoyable combat had been taken away and replaced with something even worse than the original Nier's simplistic system. I was mostly fine with this because I was going to get more character building and backstory on the machines, but by the end of the route, I felt that I didn't get the plot expansion and character development that I came to expect after playing the original's "route B". Adam and Eve should have gotten more screen time. I didn't learn much more about A2. It did setup the continuation of the story quite well, though.

Route C/D was fantastic. I really felt the characters' emotions. The plot bombs were heavy hitting, and the pacing was on point. The only gripe I have about this section of the game was again, I feel like there wasn't as much character building for A2 as there should have been. I guess that's more of a knock on route B than C/D though since A2 did have significant character building in this route, but I just didn't feel attached to the character when it was all said and done.

Another thing I loved was the subtle story telling in the side quests. Similar to the original, they are seemingly pointless and poorly designed. But once you have a full view of the story, they reveal themselves as heavy foreshadowing and world building. I really want to go back and play through every one of them again now that I have the perspective that I do now.

TLDR: This game lives up to the original. I was attached to (most of) the characters. (Even though nothing can match the banter between Weiss and Nier). The low points are most of the boss battles, Route B, and development of a few characters. Taro's genius confirmed.

Squire

Banned
9S is the best english VA in the game, not even lying. A2 is my second favorite....Eve is pretty good too.

Weirdly enough i love the pod acting too, such deadpan gives so many lols with A2

That's a pretty good top three, Yeah. 9S wins out in a few categories just because of how much of him is in the game. I love Cherami Leigh's voice.

042 is D.C. Douglas (Wesker), so even on that casting they really got someone good.

Just a fantastic dub all over. 6O is another standout, I feel. 2B goes without mentioning.

Joe Molotov

I thought on A2's route we'd find out what her beef was with the Forest King. I mean, I get that killing machines is her thing, but she came in there like she was on a mission.

Also, did we ever find out why she was kicked out of YoRHa? I don't remember if they ever really said. I remember reading a memo that said that she had exceptional combat and problem solving skills and that her data was being loaded into some B units, or something to that effect.

Arkeband

Banned

His screaming in the last fight with A2 is what put him over the top for me. You can tell when a voice actor actually cares about their role, and his role required a total mental breakdown and he committed to it. He's my favorite character in the game, although I like 2B's VA more than A2 simply because she had more to work with and A2 felt a little tacked-on.

Also, did we ever find out why she was kicked out of YoRHa? I don't remember if they ever really said. I remember reading a memo that said that she had exceptional combat and problem solving skills and that her data was being loaded into some B units, or something to that effect.

She was one of the first round of those units before they wiped them (in a similar manner?), she must have 'remembered' (edit: she never reacts to 9S's reveal and her earlier comment that Command betrayed them makes me think she already knows all this stuff) and she deserted, she wasn't kicked out. They kept her because she was anomalous in her deduction and analysis skills.

I'm still shaky on who 'they' are, like who is overseeing this continual wiping of the androids and staging Bunker destructions.

I thought on A2's route we'd find out what her beef was with the Forest King. I mean, I get that killing machines is her thing, but she came in there like she was on a mission.

Did you use the computers at the Resistance Camp? She abandoned YoRHa after all her squad was killed.

Razmos

I'm wondering that too, especially since the chapter is titled A2's revenge

Weiss

Banned
Holy fuck I just realized the Commander didn't care about 9S figuring out the truth because 2B was going to kill him anyway.

Baalzebup

Holy fuck I just realized the Commander didn't care about 9S figuring out the truth because 2B was going to kill him anyway.
Exactly. She knew that the first one he would spill the beans to would be 2B, who would immediately kill him as that was clearly "you know too much" info. That little moment when 9S laments about not having had time to talk to 2B about it at the start of Route C has all kinds of meanings to it.

Overall, the E-types have it really rough. The one from the amnesia quest was so fucked up by the situation that she was constantly mind-wiping herself since she couldn't deal with the loss and 2B was breaking down just from idea of losing even a small amount of 9S current memories at the end of route A. Having to kill the person you deeply care for again and again, and getting to know them again and again, seemingly for the first time, every time, is a really fucked up cycle. So a perfect personal relationship by Drakenier standards.
Her data was used to create the E-types, the Executioners, which helps explain why she and 2B look so very similar. I think she was basically marked for death simply due to the whole initial drop being intended to gather data on the prototype models and the plan was for all of them to die. Basically just another step in the whole YoRHa dirty laundry cycle.

Hektor

So much stuff. It's crazy how much different an actual second playthrough becomes when you start seeing all these small, subtle things that seemed to have no deeper meaning the first time around

Squire

Banned

She probably figured the king was going to be a king, not a really small robot that would of course never grow up. She killed because that's his creuel she is/was.

YoRHa abandoned her more so than kicked her out.

That's a pretty good top three, Yeah. 9S wins out in a few categories just because of how much of him is in the game. I love Cherami Leigh's voice.

042 is D.C. Douglas (Wesker), so even on that casting they really got someone good.

Just a fantastic dub all over. 6O is another standout, I feel. 2B goes without mentioning.

Surprised it was cherami Leigh because thought she was really good as A2 but didn't like what i have heard from her in persona 5. Douglas as Pod042 was great as usual.

jonjonaug

Finished route C again last night on the PC and I'm disappointed that the error in the English version where the "Disposal of Yorha" archive entry is a part of the "Black Box" archive entry is still in the game. It throws a pretty big wrench into the increasing scale of reveals driving 9S mad toward the end of the game, because you read it and go "wait, why didn't 9S say anything about this?", but then it shows up properly later on and you go "oh, because it's not actually supposed to be there".

I'm wondering if the developers are aware of this, because the game was patched a few times after being released on consoles.

Arkeband

Banned
Finished route C again last night on the PC and I'm disappointed that the error in the English version where the "Disposal of Yorha" archive entry is a part of the "Black Box" archive entry is still in the game. It throws a pretty big wrench into the increasing scale of reveals driving 9S mad toward the end of the game, because you read it and go "wait, why didn't 9S say anything about this?", but then it shows up properly later on and you go "oh, because it's not actually supposed to be there".

I'm wondering if the developers are aware of this, because the game was patched a few times after being released on consoles.

I also noticed this, they treated it as a giant reveal, but the whole time I was thinking, "wait, I already fucking read this word for word earlier in the story."

Baalzebup

Err, I saw that stuff just a few days ago, on console, and it was definitely still there as well. The difference between them is the black box one talking about it as a preparation for an eventual future and the latter one mentions that the protocol is being executed. But yeah, it definitely feels off as both parts of that should be a single reveal. The current way waters down the latter one as you already know that it is exactly what is happening/ had happened.

SkylineRKR

In the end I think 9S says that he always knew that 2B had to kill him. But he accepted this fate as he wanted someone like 2B to spend time with because he felt really lonely as a scanner unit.

But at the start of the game he is really wiped so he can't know? Or did a small part of his memory always survive the wipe?

A2's Revenge was just that she had declared war on all of the machines, and she ended the monarchy there. Its not really fleshed out, but it seems all she did was wander around killing machines left and right while hating Command for double crossing her unit.

Jeffrey

Did the terminal mention what's up with a2? Thought it was mostly just anemone talking about her war history and how everyone was dead.

Nothing mentions about a2 deserting or learning the truth.

Hybris

In the end I think 9S says that he always knew that 2B had to kill him. But he accepted this fate as he wanted someone like 2B to spend time with because he felt really lonely as a scanner unit.

But at the start of the game he is really wiped so he can't know? Or did a small part of his memory always survive the wipe?

I feel like some small part of his memories survived. When his memories are attacked, the form the attacker takes is 2B. He has to fight 2B in his own mind to save his memories. That could have been done symbolically, but I chose to believe that he subconsciously knew 2B's role after she killed him so many times.

SkylineRKR

Did the terminal mention what's up with a2? Thought it was mostly just anemone talking about her war history and how everyone was dead.

She survived something she wasn't meant to and probably evolved, got an own will like the other PC's. She was aware about command fucking her over, she also isn't surprised when she sees 2B being infected (as she basically had to put down her whole unit the same away). She knows about that ploy too it seems.

Weiss

Banned
I think what makes 9S really break is that he and the rest of YoRHa are to be destroyed, and for the war to start anew.

Like even if humanity is extinct, he can still fight for 2B and YoRHa.

That depends. In theory yes when his memory is wiped he should not remember really anything that happened previous minus basic stuff. But if we go with the theory that humans (and thus androids in this universe) even if they have amnesia eventually can remember things if triggered by a certain event, then it could be possible 9S knows about it and still is willing to be with 2B.

Squire

Banned
She survived something she wasn't meant to and probably evolved, got an own will like the other PC's. She was aware about command fucking her over, she also isn't surprised when she sees 2B being infected (as she basically had to put down her whole unit the same away). She knows about that ploy too it seems.

Oh no, A2s in deep until the mind meld with 2B. That's why she's roaming around killing machines; it's her prime directive.

With no support from the Bunker, she's basically no different from the machines apart being smarter, a better fighter, and ahem, very good-looking.

SkylineRKR

This whole story comes down to lifeforms needing a purpose in life.

It makes sense. What if you're a machine or android built to be a weapon of war? You need war, its in their binary code.

On both sides, their creators are long gone so they can't get ordered around anymore and have no cause to fight for. But they still need to do what they're designed for. Without this YorHa ploy, they are essentially without purpose. We can't really comprehend it as we luckily have different purposes in life but if those were all taken away it would end up largely the same (falling into a depression probably).

Oh no, A2s in deep until the mind meld with 2B. That's why she's roaming around killing machines; it's her prime directive.

With no support from the Bunker, she's basically no different from the machines apart being smarter, a better fighter, and ahem, very good-looking.

For an outdated model she can certainly fight, has a great special skill and quite looks the part. Though she is an A unit ofcourse. She knows she's outdated, that was rather funny. I guess the Type 3 weapons have to do with her or her unit?

Ruff

I really love how you literally fight the developers to get a more hopeful ending with the help of other players, because you don't accept the resolution they leave you with.

Shit Square Enix. Shit indeed.

Eumi

That stuff more comes from the archives unlocked from reading the terminal.

A2 learns the truth in the events of the stage play I think?

The finale of Nier Automata is still lingering my head after beating it last night. Jesus. Yoko Taro makes the Witcher 3's story seem like child's play

That stuff more comes from the archives unlocked from reading the terminal.

A2 learns the truth in the events of the stage play I think?

This is correct, but even more important is that during the Stage Play/Pearl Harbor, is when we actually learn about the Terminal/Red girls. It's also when the Terminal learns the truth behind YoRHa as well. With this new knowledge, the terminal reveals the truth to A2. So it's best to read the stage play only after completing Automata, despite it being prequel.

Is there anything fun to do after getting to level 99 and beating Emil in the cave? I can't figure out how to do ending Y but is there anything besides that?

Eumi

Just a random thought, does Automata take place in the city from the end of NieR? The place behind the mountain with the shrine.
Yes, although it doesn't particularly make sense if you really think about it. Unless it's in a different city that is also right next to Facade.

Jeffrey

Oh didn't know more archives was unlocked. Will check out after work.

Anyone dump all the Intel yet? Too lazy to find them all lol. But would love to read them.

So do Emil's copies transcend time and they are basically immortal?

Emil will reappear in every taro game from now on. Suffering. Forever.

Oh yeah why was emil head in a robot. And when did he get a cart. Or was that a different emil?

Why is he a merchant anyways lol.

Silvard

A2's Revenge was just that she had declared war on all of the machines, and she ended the monarchy there. Its not really fleshed out, but it seems all she did was wander around killing machines left and right while hating Command for double crossing her unit.

When he fights off the hack that's deleting his memories (and takes form of 2B) some of the floating stills representing his memories are of the prologue, which he should have no memories of. It's either an oversight or more likely an indication that his memories aren't really completely wiped, just inaccessible.

Top Bottom