• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

ramyeon

The fact that they're keeping secrets about humanity shows that there has to be someone in charge. Be it a singular android, network, or collection of androids.

Someone's telling the Pods how YoRHa's supposed to end and giving them orders.
Someone's making decisions on their behalf.
Someone's initiating the cycle of wars.

The YoRHa was comprised of ranks, the resistance as leaders. They're very much like us in that regard.
I mean the way you said it sounded like it wasn't Androids who could be in charge but some other type of being. Of course there's a hierarchy within android society and people above the Commander (Who did not know of the planned destruction of the Bunker etc).

Arkeband

Banned
Was the picture book detailing the robot who embodied Hate Eve? If so, what did Adam embody? What was the black scrawl covering Eve and why did he have dragon scale leggings?

It feels like there are still pieces missing or things that they threw in that they decided not to use.

LotusHD

Banned
Was the picture book detailing the robot who embodied Hate Eve? If so, what did Adam embody? What was the black scrawl covering Eve and why did he have dragon scale leggings?

It feels like there are still pieces missing or things that they threw in that they decided not to use.

Pretty sure they meant Adam regarding the robot that embodied Hate. The drawing even looked like him.

---

Finally Googled who voiced Operator 60 lol

It remains to be seen how many of the references have substance and how many are just simple callbacks. A lot of it can just be handwaved by "the machines read about in the database".

PS RIP Inuhanyou

jonjonaug

They put stuff in some of them to make it more convincing, it was like a bit of water and junk being sent up there. If anything is maintaining it then it'd most likely be more Androids who are within the inner circle and allowed to know the truth.

Androids live on water and the "junk" was probably for maintenance. Another one of the archives from near the end of the game states that minimal support staff are indeed on the Moon.

ramyeon

Androids live on water and the "junk" was probably for maintenance. Another one of the archives from near the end of the game states that minimal support staff are indeed on the Moon.
Newer model Androids don't need water anymore, it was only the early models. It's been like that since at least A2 but probably much before that.
YorHa Stage Play said:
Lily still seems very frightened and calls out to Rose for reassurance, calling her ”Onee-chan". Rose suggests that they make a toast with water. Apparently, the older model androids needed some sort of liquid to keep their bodies functioning, but the newer YoRHa units are fully automatous and need no such liquid...
Not saying there aren't any Androids doing maintenance though, I thought the original poster meant humans or some other being were in charge of the Androids.

Jeffrey

the most annoying thing about the game is.... there is pretty much no real justification for no autosaves lol.

Like if they wrote it into the lore and went crazy at the end where you aren't allowed to autosave b/c bunker is dead... then maybe?

Just feels like they forgot to put a system in or something.

the most annoying thing about the game is.... there is pretty much no real justification for no autosaves lol.

Like if they wrote it into the lore and went crazy at the end where you aren't allowed to autosave b/c bunker is dead... then maybe?

I chalked it up to, "Yoko don't care." lol

LotusHD

Banned

Eh I mean, can't you justify it through you needing to be near a save point in order to manually back up your memory? Therefore if you're not near one, why would you be able to autosave?

It's easier to say Yoko Taro doesn't give a fuck tho lol

OniBaka

I like it and it was neat how it was a reception bar that told you if you could save.

And there's no way they forgot it as it was stated at the start of the game and then again by an npc. Taro just trolling.

Oh my god, that's literally what I almost replied to them but didn't want to even hint at it.

I'm really sitting there and wondering, how many folks here had that reaction to them upon seeing them again? (Assuming you've played the first NieR) Yeah, they did kinda stab you in the back. But most folks were pretty excited to see them again I thought.

Jeffrey

what was the goldish bad guys in 2nd playthrough all about?

they dropped cores which was nice, but I feel like I missed there significance... and they didn't appear in later playthroughs?

they dropped cores which was nice, but I feel like I missed there significance... and they didn't appear in later playthroughs?

They're a sidequest, again demonstrating sentience in the Machines and in this case, actually having a family.

OniBaka

You didn't hear them cursing at you and trying to get revenge for killing their family.

It was depressing which 9S also felt.

There's a family of Goldies that appear throughout the game location as you travel around and kill em.

They're basically there just to make you feel bad about yourself.

You kill two siblings for cores.
Then two other siblings appear in a different location for revenge.
And you kill em for cores.
Again for cores.
Then finally two siblings appear one last time for revenge, and before the last one die, they go into a dying speech about how mortified he is that he wasn't able to avenge his family members, curses you for killing off his entire family and that even if he succeeded in his revenge, he was going to kill himself anyway because he has no one else left in the world.
And then you collect the cores.

There's a family of Goldies that appear throughout the game location as you travel around and kill em.

You kill two siblings.
Then finally two siblings appear one last time for revenge, and before they die, they go into a dying speech about how mortified he is that he wasn't able to avenge his family members, how cruel you are for killing off his entire family, how much he hates androids and that even if he succeeded in his revenge, he was going to kill himself anyway because he has no one else left in the world.

Which was kinda funny in the first place, as they picked the fight with 2B/9S first. But c'est la vie.

Jeffrey

You kill two siblings.
Then finally two siblings appear one last time for revenge, and before they die, they go into a dying speech about how mortified he is that he wasn't able to avenge his family members, how cruel you are for killing off his entire family, how much he hates androids and that even if he succeeded in his revenge, he was going to kill himself anyway because he has no one else left in the world.

Ah remember it now lol. Still confusing that they were gold. Thought they might have been a ghost lol.

Any of the lore explain why emil stopped fighting and has a store now?

Slater

Banned
ARGGHHHH

People who don't appreciate 9S' design don't get it at all but I can't explain it in the OT without spoiling everything.

Edit: Is Inou permabanned?

Hektor

The more I think about the ending the better it becomes.

Im willing to say that this is one of the best videogame moments of all time, especially in context of Yoko Taro's games as a whole.

The game goes completely meta, you LITERALLY fight the developers as the final boss. Especially Yoko Taro.

You get a shitty ending in which all the characters suffer and die. Which is also true for his past games.

Hell the best ending Yokos past games had was nier ending D, the only reason it being good is because nier is oblivious to what he has caused before deleting himself.

The best, most happy ending yoko taro had done was the one where the protagonists thought he saved his daughter and was ignorant to the fact that he a actually doomed her and all of mankind to death.

Nier automata ends on a similar terrible note, but then you battle him to fight for your first good ending.

To repeat: you battle the creator known for terrible endings to finally get a good and happy one after four games. That is meta as fuck.

Then you have the way in which the game connects you to other players, making it a community events without you even directly interacting with someone.

You die and die and die, while other people motivate you.

You get asked questions, about videogames in a meta form, about what you think them and how you connect to them.

Ultimately you get help by another player who has done the ultimate sacrifice and the music turns into a choir.

And the choir is the goddamn developers. Even thought they are the ones you fight, they actually cheer for you in a beautiful song.
They too want that you get that fucking happy end.

And then you get it and you too, are allowed to sacrifice everything for a random stranger on the world.

The actual moment itself and the way it weaves itself into Yokos works as a whole is truly outstanding.

I had more than enough time to digest the game now, and the more think about it and the more i unravel about it, the better the moment becomes.

As a Yoko Taro fan it feels like all of Yokos past games with their fuck awful fates for his characters have been building up to this.

Goddamn.

Ruff

The more I think about the ending the better it becomes.

Im willing to say that this is one of the best videogame moments of all time, especially in context of Yoko Taro's games as a whole.

Goddamn.

Yep, video games can just end now as far as I'm concerned. We're done here.

Beating this game last sunday has fried my brain. I haven't touched it since yet it's all I can think about at the moment. Zelda was a thing of the past after Route C, Persona 5 will have to be even more special to be my GOTY.

I don't know if another Taro game can top the moments he's explored in this game, but there are still so much opportunity and avenue to explore in another Taro game.

I mean, personally, after all is said and done, Automata to me, is what I would describe as a 7/10 game with 10/10 moments, and a 11/10 ending.

The game is able to deliver its peak Yoko Taro with the assist and support of Platinum instead of Cavia this time round, but it's still a game that is noticeably limited by budget and time, what's with A2's role feeling rather limited comparatively among other things.

I'm not asking for FFXV budget, but for sure I want to see a new Yoko Taro game where there are less compromises and visible seams of no-money.

I don't know if another Taro game can top the moments he's explored in this game, but there are still so much opportunity and avenue to explore in another Taro game.

I mean, personally, after all is said and done, Automata to me, is what I would describe as a 7/10 game with 10/10 moments, and a 11/10 ending.

The game is able to deliver its peak Yoko Taro with the assist and support of Platinum instead of Cavia this time round, but it's still a game that is noticeably limited by budget and time, what's with A2's role feeling rather limited comparatively among other things.

I'm not asking for FFXV budget, but for sure I want to see a new Yoko Taro game where there are less compromises and visible seams of no-money.

SE needs to stop fucking around and give the man FF.

Did you guys ponder who to choose at the end of C? I like 9s and I could definitely feel for him, dude was dragged around in the mud for quite a long time, he just didn't know it but I chose A2 no question. A2 at that point was the most logical of the two and when I saw 9s's eyes glow red I knew he was a goner so I didn't give it much thought at the time.

Did you guys ponder who to choose at the end of C? I like 9s and I could definitely feel for him, dude was dragged around in the mud for quite a long time, he just didn't know it but I chose A2 no question. A2 at that point was the most logical of the two and when I saw 9s's eyes glow red I knew he was a goner so I didn't give it much thought at the time.

Not really. 9s was a complete mess so he was logically going to have the bad ending for me. It's why I chose his ending first because I would rather get all the bad stuff out the way and maybe have something optimistic with A2. Didn't turn out that way but thank god for ending e I guess.

Not really. 9s was a complete mess so he was logically going to have the bad ending for me. It's why I chose his ending first because I would rather get all the bad stuff out the way and maybe have something optimistic with A2. Didn't turn out that way but thank god for ending e I guess.

The way 9s stumbles onto 2b's sword was one of the most fucked up things I've seen in a video game. Such a raw moment that encapsulates entirely what Yoko Taro is all about. The way it was shot and animated was pretty disturbing.

Christhor

The way 9s stumbles onto 2b's sword was one of the most fucked up things I've seen in a video game. Such a raw moment that encapsulates entirely what Yoko Taro is all about. The way it was shot and animated was pretty disturbing.

I started cheering when that happened. What a great moment.

SaniOYOYOY

SE needs to stop fucking around and give the man FF.

pretty much. Yoko taro + Keichi okabe is ready to handle a FF now. them + BD4 for a mid budget final fantasy

but my heart still want ff16 from him :( I imagine square would want to reuse a lot of asset from 15. So Ito as a producer, YT and Keichi okabe duo + BD8 + people from BD2.You know what, fuck it lets invite taura's team again (like CC + BD1 from 7remake) features a semi open world like automata but bigger and livelier
please :(

ramyeon

Just do it, it's not worth it. It's also the only one I bought.

The pods are the real heroes of the story, are you really going to betray them by just buying their trophy?

Forget about project gestalt, Emil, Devola & Popola, the fake library, the weapon stories.

The truest reference to the original NieR

is this.
I've upgraded the first two to max and just spent half an hour reloading for Pure Water. Simple Gadgets now. I don't know if I can give up here.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If you guys give FFXVI to Yoko Taro + Keiichi Okabe, well it'll be like Type-0 only the story is more coherent, darker (darker than Type-0), and some gameplay parts are weird and unconventional.

I'd take it but will it be the best for the FF series? Take note that all the mainline FF games are targeted to teens while YT's stuff have a lot of mature content.

Top Bottom