• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

speaking of telling people to buy this game, I just typed this into discord to one of my best friends
its only weakness is that route B retreads a bit too much of Route A, but the combat is fucking phenomenal from start to finish with incredible variation and amazing encounter design and boss fights, and it doesnt matter if you are fighting 2 enemies or 50, it fucking shines. The side quests are fantastic with amazing lore and intrigue, while also possessing fun objectives. The game also has a surprising amount of extremely effective comedy. The story hits so many notes and covers the state of being human ghost in the shell style in many ways more effectively than ghost in the shell. The story has so much intrigue and insanity to keep you interested, while the characters are excellent and keep you going all the way as the twists pile up absolutely brilliantly culminating in one of the greatest endings ever conceived. The finale is also the single greatest gameplay segment in the history of video games (that ive played, which is a lot)

LotusHD

Banned
What about
the old wise machines?

giphy.gif

Haha, yeah. I was thinking more of the length of the credits though :p

Oh lol

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Wait...wtf did I miss?

My dumbass deleted my save/data with only about 60% of sidequests done.

There are 3 machines in the overworld part as 9S and they dont talk to you so you gotta hack in their mind and you get to listen their thoughts and wondering their purpose of living and essentially they are all in places they can jump from. One of them is on top of a tower and if you hack him last he will commit suicide and the others will disappear.

EDIT Forgot this was the spoiler thread lol

OniBaka

I honestly don't know why more people aren't talking about this game. Did a lot of reviewrs not get ending E? I haven't ever been moved by a game like this before and I cant stop thinging about it. Closest thing I can compare it to is maybe mgs1 or mgs2 at launch . I have no desire to go back and finish botw or to start a new sp game after the experience this game provided.
Yeah I'm having a real hard time playing the witcher 3 because of this game.

Tubie

Finished the game last night... I can't believe how hard endings C, D, and E were on me emotionally. Hell, all of Route C was one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.

I just lost it when the chorus starts at the end credits of ending E right when other players ships come shield you.

Vazra

Finished the game last night... I can't believe how hard endings C, D, and E were on me emotionally. Hell, all of Route C was one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.

I just lost it when the chorus starts at the end credits of ending E right when other players ships come shield you.
You know those are the development team as the choir right? ;)

Jeffrey

Why did humanity give androids human traits and flaws to begin with lol. Project gestalt would have succeeded if they were just normal robots!

Maybe?

(nope)

Still weird they never found more than 1 dude that could gestalt without losing mind or w/e.

Slater

Banned
Why did humanity give androids human traits and flaws to begin with lol. Project gestalt would have succeeded if they were just normal robots!

Maybe?

(nope)

Still weird they never found more than 1 dude that could gestalt without losing mind or w/e.
Brah, you just played a full fucking game where regular robots that weren't even made by humans ended up becoming sapient and emulating humanity anyway lol

Teggy

Oh, when I finished ending D the game said something about my friend in the resistance having a quest for me. What was that referring to? I checked out Jackass and Anemone but maybe I was the wrong chapter?

Vazra

Oh, when I finished ending D the game said something about my friend in the resistance having a quest for me. What was that referring to? I checked out Jackass and Anemone but maybe I was the wrong chapter?

I think its the chick with the giant head thing selling the trophies.

Retromess

Neo Member
Question regarding the original Nier, as it pertains to this game.

I'm made to understand humanity "died" when Nier killed the Shadowlord, thus killing all the Gestalts, which were our "souls." And that basically Nier and the other "humans" in that game were replicants, or, sentient "soulless" clones.

So does that mean the humans, flesh and blood as we are today, didn't even truly exist in Nier's timeline?

If so that makes it even more upsetting when you find out that all the "humans" were wiped out long ago, in Automata's time. Are they referring to the replicants, the gestalts, or both?

Ruff

Question regarding the original Nier, as it pertains to this game.

I'm made to understand humanity "died" when Nier killed the Shadowlord, thus killing all the Gestalts, which were our "souls." And that basically Nier and the other "humans" in that game were replicants, or, sentient "soulless" clones.

So does that mean the humans, flesh and blood as we are today, didn't even truly exist in Nier's timeline?

If so that makes it even more upsetting when you find out that all the "humans" were wiped out long ago, in Automata's time. Are they referring to the replicants, the gestalts, or both?

Hm, they existed before the Gestalt program no? But yeah when they refer to Mankind dying out it does seem to actually mean the last Gestalt and Replicant.

Retromess

Neo Member
Hm, they existed before the Gestalt program no?

They did, but it seems like things are in pretty dire straits in 2049, when Nier first starts and we see Gestalt Nier activate Grimoire Noire. Then it flashes forward like 1,300 years, so that's why I'm wondering if we know if any of the other people in that game are replicants, humans, or whatever.

Hektor

They did, but it seems like things are in pretty dire straits in 2049, when Nier first starts and we see Gestalt Nier activate Grimoire Noire. Then it flashes forward like 1,300 years, so that's why I'm wondering if we know if any of the other people in that game are replicants, humans, or whatever.

The characters in OG nier are all either Replicants (Most of them), Gestalts (Shadowlord, Tyrant) Or Androids (Devola, Popola).

Normal humans have been extinct by that point because they either died to White Chlorination Syndrom, made a pact and became part of the Legion and then eradicated by the at that time still soulless Replicants or did go through the Gestaltisierungsprocess

Christhor

Just beat the second secret Emil boss. Absolutely one of the best parts of the game, if not the best. While fighting it I started thinking back to Emil's "I don't want to die" scene towards the end of Nier and started tearing up thinking about his entire situation, while fighting the fairly tough boss.

I honestly think that the best parts of this game relate to the original game. The place with Kaine's hut and all the lunar tears is definitely the coolest revelation in the game and the scene where 9S places a grave for 2B down there had me pretty close to tears. It might just be because of how incredible Kaine Salvation is though.

As much as I love Automata, it doesn't even come close to being as good as the original to me, mostly because bigger focus on emotional scenes making the characters stand out more. What Platinum did with this game makes me appreciate what shitty Cavia achieved with Nier even more.

Man, i was soooo tired because I started the last two towers late at night. It was approaching 4 in the morning and was excited to get an end credits minigame. I was quite good at hacking by then and made it really far but my eyes were getting tired and my thumbs were slipping . Then, I died and realized it sends you back a little bit. I tried extra hard, fearing my game data might be deleted, knowing Taro. It eventually became impossible and despair was setting in but then I saw my first message from a Japanese player and it was so sincere , i almost burst into tears. Soon after, my screen was popping with support from all over the world and I finally gave in and accepted help. I was swarmed with avatars of strangers lending a hand and when the chorus burst forth, my eyes were watering. Eveytime I made a mistake and saw the message that someone's data was deleted, my heart broke. Strangers had did something selfless to help me succeed and I was shocked. Most traditional online games are full of ways to troll or humiliate others and this game showed me something different. I have a pretty, black title screen now with lots of stars and a white, haunting sword.

Vazra

I liked the way Nier also handled homosexuality. It wasnt so forced like Mass Effect and other games that like to put emphasis on the gay character saying they are gay instead of letting it be natural.

The characters in OG nier are all either Replicants (Most of them), Gestalts (Shadowlord, Tyrant) Or Androids (Devola, Popola).

Normal humans have been extinct by that point because they either died to White Chlorination Syndrom, made a pact and became part of the Legion and then eradicated by the at that time still soulless Replicants or did go through the Gestaltisierungsprocess
I think Emil was human until he becomes Taro

Christhor

I liked the way Nier also handled homosexuality. It wasnt so forced like Mass Effect and other games that like to put emphasis on the gay character saying they are gay instead of letting it be natural.

Same here, it was pretty neat. I think even though Automata isn't about humans, it could have explored similar things without it seeming out of place, the whole game is about machines acting like humans after all. It kinda makes me wonder a bit what Sawako Natori involvement with the other games' writing was.

Right, I saw this on Twitter and I thought it was pretty fitting (yaro aside):

But it does get iffy as folks see him as dismissing the diversity crowd by not saying anything. I can see it both ways, but I would say personally that I land on the spectrum of agreeing with his sentiment that it's something part of the world as it is.

Emil hasn't been a human for a while by the time the game proper starts. Weiss was also a human at some point though.
I trust you because of your avatar but what is he, if not human? I know he was part of experiments and a check/balance to his sister but isn't he still human despite his abilities?

Teggy

So what do people think about the plausibility of there being lots of Devola and Popolas? Based on the lighthouse lady quests from Nier it was implied that people did still travel long distances. Wouldn't people have run into more than one pair of them?

Eumi

I think what makes Taro's LGBT characters so great is that they're believable. Their sexualities are important parts of who they are, but it's not who they are.

Emil is in no way "the gay party member" in the first game. His sexuality is not downplayed, but it's just one more element of his character that all builds into Emil. Similarly 6O's homosexuality is part of her larger role as the humanising voice of YoRHa. The point of her call on her rejection isn't to show off that she is the gay character, but rather to show off that YoRHa androids do form romantic relationships. That the relationship is gay isn't the focus, but the element is still there. It is neither hidden away, nor flashing in big neon letters.

I actually kinda wanted to make a thread on it, since I'm interested in seeing how different rpgs compare in this regard, and how people at large prefer it to be handled.

But I'm also aware that most of those threads devolve into shitshows (just look at that mass effect one the other day), so that kinda put me off.

I think what makes Taro's LGBT characters so great is that they're believable. Their sexualities are important parts of who they are, but it's not who they are.

Emil is in no way "the gay party member" in the first game. His sexuality is not downplayed, but it's just one more element of his character that all builds into Emil. Similarly 6O's homosexuality is part of her larger role as the humanising voice of YoRHa. The point of her call on her rejection isn't to show off that she is the gay character, but rather to show off that YoRHa androids do form romantic relationships. That the relationship is gay isn't the focus, but the element is still there. It is neither hidden away, nor flashing in big neon letters.

I actually kinda wanted to make a thread on it, since I'm interested in seeing how different rpgs compare in this regard, and how people at large prefer it to be handled.

But I'm also aware that most of those threads devolve into shitshows (just look at that mass effect one the other day), so that kinda put me off.

It's probably not a good idea considering similar themes were discussed in the last Taro interview thread but still went to hell despite.

Christhor

I trust you because of your avatar but what is he, if not human? I know he was part of experiments and a check/balance to his sister but isn't he still human despite his abilities?

I'd by lying if I said I remember all the details, but I'm pretty sure he's still a weapon, even before taking the form of the ultimate weapon. At the very least he's some sort of magical being, seeing as he hasn't aged for however long it was (over a thousand years?) and his petrification ability. He's definitely a result of all the experiments that were done on him at the very least.

Teggy

Is there anything in western Nier that implies Emil is gay? I only heard about this during a video that said that the dialogue had to be changed from the Japanese version due to it not making sense with Nier dad's dialogue.

Eumi

Is there anything in western Nier that implies Emil is gay? I only heard about this during a video that said that the dialogue had to be changed from the Japanese version due to it not making sense with Nier dad's dialogue.
It's a lot more subtle with Daddy Nier, since the line used is (if I remember right) "I think it's pretty important" when Nier brushes off emils question about his wife.

I don't think it's a localisation thing. The way I heard it it's more to do with Emil seeing Daddy Nier as a father figure but Brother Nier as a love interest. Could be wrong though.

SkylineRKR

6O has been handled excellent. She begins about liking another android, and then proceeds to casually drop the 'she' line. 2B doesn't act surprised about it at all, though its debatable how much Androids know about both genders and their attraction to eachother. Its clear that 9S has the hots for 2B, but idk if it has to do with her being a female android.

Androids are essentially genderless, but they're built after both human types. Though 6O is aware that girls like flowers and fashion and behaves like a typical girl. 9S knows too I think, as he wants to go out shopping with 2B.

Christhor

It's a lot more subtle with Daddy Nier, since the line used is (if I remember right) "I think it's pretty important" when Nier brushes off emils question about his wife.

I don't think it's a localisation thing. The way I heard it it's more to do with Emil seeing Daddy Nier as a father figure but Brother Nier as a love interest. Could be wrong though.

It does kinda make sense. While Emil is technically is not a kid, his personality is definitely that of a kid/teenager. A brave and mature one, for sure, but still has that childlike innocence, so it would be kinda odd for him to be in love with a 45 year old man.

Just reposting this

I just finished and had a question about the end of Yorha. Is this like a perpetual thing that happens over and over to continue the war w/ the machines or was it just a one time thing that happens when too much time's passed?

True Fire

NieR Automata is a fascinating exploration of gender identity if you look deep enough. Emil is the only character in the entire game with an assigned sex. I guess you could say that the battle androids are assigned female due to their physical characteristics? But it's interesting how the androids and robots develop gender identity along with their sentience, you know? Particularly the big sister and little sister robots. And how Simone was inherently feminine and loved a masculine robot, even though neither of them have a biological sex.

It's funny, when that call came up I didn't even think about the fact that it meant 6O was gay. I just thought it was sort of a given that she'd be interested in a female model, given that from what we can see 9S seems to be the only male android.

The game does a lot of kind of weird things with sex and gender; fitting considering nearly every character is technically a robot of some sort. Eve has a woman's name despite identifying as "male" (though not possessing actual genitalia either way), Pascal identifies as a he despite having a woman's voice, robots have NO identifying sexual characteristics but assume genders anyway via clothing or mannerisms. And the Yorha androids have sexual thoughts and form romantic relationships despite being nearly mono"gendered". Like, does 9S even really know what "Wanting to fuck 2B" actually means? Does Adam? Do either of them even have the capacity? Does it mean the same thing to 6O and her crush? It's a curious thing that it's technically an incredibly sterile world where NOBODY is having actual sex or even has a birth gender and yet sex and gender are still a thing.

The machines at least sorta know b/c when you see all those machines in the apartment complex before adam appears, all of them just seem to be imitating sex

MrHoot

Nah I think you're right. Moreso it's because I think it would be a bit more weird for Emil to harvest feelings for a much older man, and in the western version if I recall, Nier has a wife, while in the japanese version its his mother so there would be a whole lot of kerfuffle.

Anyway, I've finished and love the game to bits. I think it has become one of my favourite games of all time.

But I'd be really curious to know what Taro is doing with the whole cult of the watcher and legion that keeps popping up. I mean it's pretty explicit this time around with the inclusion of the Watchers's symbol on Eve (what exactly did happen with him anyway ? I think his corruption is the only thing I didn't quite get apart that he was upset, of course). The network is one word away of saying Legion straight away. And legion is even said straight up in (I think) the artbook. Plus the whole red eyes thing coming back

The machines at least sorta know b/c when you see all those machines in the apartment complex before adam appears, all of them just seem to be imitating sex

They know the motion but they don't understand anything about biology or what sex is actually for, as we see when they stick the Forest King into a "baby" body assuming he'll grow up. They are like children, imitating humans without any of the actual context or understanding of what they are imitating. Like the machine families in Pascal's village, with machine moms and dads and children. Like, there is no such thing. What the hell even is a machine child and how is it functionally different than an "adult" machine other than how it acts? Do some machines just act like kids on their own? Do they CHOOSE to act childish? Father Servo shows that their body type is irrelevant, so it's not like they physically age. It's weird man!

Ruff

Is it me or do the desert machines dress up like Facade people? Could it be the same desert somehow? I mean Kaines shack is also nearby.

addik

Is it me or do the desert machines dress up like Facade people? Could it be the same desert somehow? I mean Kaines shack is also nearby.

If you do the relics of the past sidequest, it pretty much reveals that the whole area used to be where the Facade people lived. You even get to find a tablet with some laws written on it.

Eumi

It explicitly is. A sidequest mentions facade by name.

Also, real talk here. 6O asked out the Commander, right? I mean, she is very knowledgeable about the state of her room...

Maybe spoilers but hey spoiler thread.

It's absolutely the same desert. You find lithographs with the Facade laws printed on them, a statue in memorial to Fyra, and the guy who gives you the desert scavenging side quest basically tells you it outright.

Ruff

Oh there was a quest? My bad, must be one of the ones I hadn't gotten around to yet. That's a cool callback though :D

Top Bottom