• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

WARNING: UNMARKED SPOILERS BELOW

Here's a buffer image on the off chance that you've accidentally wandered into this thread or want to back out now. You have been warned.

atmrskV.png

Feel free to discuss any/all endings, plot twists, and connections to previous games below.

I'm still working through endings B & later, so this is where I'll dip out.

Slater

Banned
So, waddup with the Cult of the watchers logo on eves chest and where will the franchise go from here
Og Nier prequel needs to happen, 1 android and 4 replicants vs red eyed salt monster in post apocalyptic Jerusalam.

Yes fucking please

Setsu00

So, waddup with the Cult of the watchers logo on eves chest and where will the franchise go from here

The Drakengard universe is still fucked up enough to create more alternate timelines. Creating timelines in the most disturbing ways is basically the only thing Drakengard does anyway. It's an absolute miracle that Automata's ending E actually turned out to be a somewhat happy conclusion to more than 10000 years of utter destruction and misery.

Yoko will find a way to make everyone miserable again in the game's eventual side books.

allbrancooke

Neo Member
Going from here, I'm excited to real more about the Cult of Watchers and their presence in the NieR-verse.
Also, more Accord! I know she's out there somewhere.

Game runs 1080p on PS4 Pro, 900p on base PS4, with no anti-aliasing or motion blur for the latter
In most instances the PS4 Pro handily beats the PS4 in maintaining a higher framerate, though neither consistently achieves a locked 60 FPS
In some instances, mainly flying segments, the base PS4 actually beats the PS4 Pro in terms of performance
Main issues are high enemy counts and particle effects, though even some quiet scenes make the systems - especially base PS4 - drop significantly

Jiraiza

It's kind of depressing how humanity is just gone in this world.

I'm curious. Would 2B have killed 9S if he had told her about what he discovered before route C began? Before the whole Bunker exploding part, I mean.

Humanity was extinct after all the speculation, but I do like how it was handled. Very Clever for both returning people and newcomers.

2B as a set up was a good trick especially after the twist in the second half. I quite like how Ending A/B is essentially like Nier's first half.

9S might be my favorite Yoko Taro character, he reminds me of Brother Nier's development actually and he's pretty nicely handled.

Hektor

I know that the machinenetwork used human literature and culture to form its own subsidiaries, including parts (of the DNA or just general recordings?)
of the Original Gestalt, but as far as i know, the cult of the watchers did not exist within Niers world, so how did they get to know about The Cult of the Watchers

The Drakengard universe is still fucked up enough to create more alternate timelines. Creating timelines in the most disturbing ways is basically the only thing Drakengard does anyway. It's an absolute miracle that Automata's ending E actually turned out to be a somewhat happy conclusion to more than 10000 years of utter destruction and misery.

Yoko will find a way to make everyone miserable again in the game's eventual side books.

Despite all the different timelines there are, his game so far have all been connected through one definitive timeline. Multiple games set in different timelines do not exist yet (Excluding Drakengard 2 obv.)

I would not be opposed to the idea tho, something set in the world of Drakengard 1 post caim and Queen beast leaving could be interesting.

Og Nier prequel needs to happen, 1 android and 4 replicants vs red eyed salt monster in post apocalyptic Jerusalam.

Yes fucking please

Mhm, that could be a finale to a full game in the red eye war.

jonjonaug

So Ending E: Great Platinum final boss or greatest Platinum final boss?

I'm having trouble deciding if I like it more or less than W101's finale, I'm still kinda blown away a few days later. I'd never have expected a "shoot the credits" mini game to be so powerful.

So who created project YorHa? Was it some androids themselves to give hope to the resistance "Everybody needs a god" or was it humanity before it went extinct?

Why is it that the tower created by the machine network contains very private information from the Androids and is shaped like the library of Popola/Devola in Nier OG?

I feel like there are many open ended questions but I may just have missed some things

Would someone answer me these questions:

1. There's an item which removes the skirt of 2B. Does this item also works on A2 so does she look like this: A2

2. In the debug room can you freely choose your character?

3. In the debug room can you place ANY enemies? Bosses aswell?

4. If you enable debug mode in the story, can you switch characters? For example playing 2B's story and playing as A2?

allbrancooke

Neo Member
So who created project YorHa? Was it some androids themselves to give hope to the resistance "Everybody needs a god" or was it humanity before it went extinct?

Why is it that the tower created by the machine network contains very private information from the Androids and is shaped like the library of Popola/Devola in Nier OG?

I feel like there are many open ended questions but I may just have missed some things

Adding to this, for I have the same questions.
I feel the Tower used that information to make Adam. But, I'm not even sure if Adam and Eve were connected to the Tower.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It seems like the watchers are still around in some form, as they can corrupt machine lifeforms too as seen with EVE and ADAM

Just what are the Gods true purpose? In Drakengard they say its to destroy all of humankind, but in this world there is no longer any human kind...why does it continue to seek destruction of even the pieces of metal that inhibit this world? Because they want to destroy the human sentience of these machines and cause their suffering?

It is just kinda like...it doesn't know what to do now so it just tries to destroy everything over and over even if its pointless?

TissueBox

Yeeeess thought they'd explain it but guess not..?? Like that's pretty damn coincidental for a random tattoo pattern c'mon game what's the connection..? xD Alternate dimension, multiverse travel..??

Also is the logic virus explained as just a regular sort of emotional irregularity in machines? I forget..

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Can someone break down the routes for me? I think I'm almost done with Route A. I know you then play as 9S, and then A2, but are there basically three main routes and then branching endings, or more than those three routes?

Regarding the story, as predictable as things were about the aliens and humans being long gone, I'm still enjoying the hell out it!

Hektor

Since the YoRHA androids are created via core of the machine lifeforms, the project must've started long after humanities exctinction, i'd think.

Therefore non yorha androids must've started that program I'd say, one Devola and Popola pair maybe?

I think the library connects somehow to this, tho i'm not entirely sure how

Can someone break down the routes for me? I think I'm almost done with Route A. I know you then play as 9S, and then A2, but are there basically three main routes and then branching endings, or more than those three routes?

Regarding the story, as predictable as things were about the aliens and humans being long gone, I'm still enjoying the hell out it!

Only those three and i'd very much suggest you leave this thread until you've finished them without reading anything!

Androids with their programmed love and devotion towards humans versus machines who emulate humans. Pretty interesting how this game is all about humanity even though they have been extinct for like, 9000 years.

Okay, just got all endings! What a ride! Need some answers now!

1.I'm missing ONE pod program! I found two lying round in route C near yohra corpses, one in the amusement park, and one in city ruins! Is there a third one somewhere?

2. Also, i'm missing THREE side quest, there's the one where you need to get pascal old world files, one where you need to get units data! But i don't know which one is the third one (i did every red point everytime i could, always checked the map for thoses, also the bunker)

is there a mission from 60 in the bunker? Had one with 9S and 210 but not with 2B and 60!

3. One last thing! How the hell do you open these locked elevator with a machine in front of them? Is this linked to Masamune (he talks about sealed shrines)

4. What happen if you say NO in the credits of ending D ?

Still missing some weapons too, and archive, like project gestal 7 and 9! Hope there will be a list soon!

Thanks to anyone who respond!

Caim

The "Emil's Memories" side quest made me want to play Nier all over again.

Title screen changed too.

Also when the Bunker is exploding I think Operator 6O references the Desert Rose mission if you did it for her.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

TissueBox

Androids with their programmed love and devotion towards humans versus machines who emulate humans. Pretty interesting how this game is all about humanity even though they have been extinct for like, 9000 years.

It's fascinating to see humanity this time treated as the godlike beings for their imperfections, mortality, and need for conflict as opposed to stuff like ultra powerful dragons or demons because they are now the mysterious precursor race that created the androids and etcetera. It also goes to show how the things erased from existence tend to be romanticized. Very compelling angle and one I'm still digging into.

Inuhanyou

That is the beauty of it. These beings who have gained their own sentience are simply fighting over and agonizing over the remains of something that is dust and doesn't even exist.

All of this is directly traced back to the collapse of humanity. I feel like Yoko taro's depiction of the slow collapse of humanity from 2003 all the way to 2052 is the creepiest thing ever, up there with The Second Renaissance in the Animatrix.

He clearly details how WCS spreads around the world, the attempts and failures at humanity to fight back the destruction and pain. You could create an entire game itself just based on early 20th century human efforts to fight back against the Legion

Been waiting for this thread since finishing thank god!

So Ending E: Great Platinum final boss or greatest Platinum final boss?

I'm having trouble deciding if I like it more or less than W101's finale, I'm still kinda blown away a few days later. I'd never have expected a "shoot the credits" mini game to be so powerful.

I absolutely loved it when the choir started hitting after you asked for help. And bless everyone that was selfless enough to actually sacrifice their saves for this.

That said, I don't know how much I necessarily agree with ending E. Undertale influence I imagine. Considering everything that happened, they should have stayed dead. I dunno. I'm still in emotional shambles.

My understanding is that it looks like it was the androids at the time, once morale started to go down. Point taken as mentioned especially with the blackboxes (still an extremely cruel decision)

While the Tower, or the "Terminal" as the red girl is referred to, is probably referencing everything the machines have hacked/accessed. It's mentioned directly that the Machines were able to hack as far as to the Moon server itself. As also seen, when 9S gains access on the main server and gets some confidential files on Project Yorha

Since the YoRHA androids are created via core of the machine lifeforms, the project must've started long after humanities exctinction, i'd think.

Therefore non yorha androids must've started that program I'd say, one Devola and Popola pair maybe?

I think the library connects somehow to this, tho i'm not entirely sure how

Uhmm interesting, in NIER's ending E (The Lost World) they mention that humanity was researching demonic elements and quantum physics in an old computer. I wonder if it's related in any way.

Caim

The Dragoon Lance is also in this which is basically Knight's Vow from Drakengard 2.

Also is there an accessory that gives A2 her long hair back?

Inuhanyou

Uhmm interesting, in NIER's ending E (The Lost World) they mention that humanity was researching demonic elements and quantum physics in an old computer. I wonder if it's related in any way.

Ending E is not canon according to Yoko, Ending D is cause that is the only one that was globally received in Gestalt. Of course it probably is still canon in backstory, but its not directly tied to Automata's portrayal of the world.

There is no doubt that humans tried everything they could with the pieces that came over the dimensional rift to delay the destruction of society and human kind in general, but it was not enough. Only the Gestalt program could have worked and we were the ones tasked with destroying it

The Dragoon Lance is also in this which is basically Knight's Vow from Drakengard 2.

I believe you unlock A2's wig as an accessory when you finish route C. I haven't equipped it but from the name I assume it gives anyone her long hair.

TissueBox

Yes there is...I got it after gettting ending D. Not sure if it depends on that though?

I personally have given my save for the good of everyone. I did so without being truly done with the game but I don't regret it because without help I wouldn't have been able to finish ending E.

Now I need to restart to experience the few bits and pieces that I missed, like finding 2B's Flight Model as 9S in route C

I personally have given my save for the good of everyone. I did so without being truly done with the game but I don't regret it because without help I wouldn't have been able to finish ending E.

Now I need to restart to experience the few bits and pieces that I missed, like finding 2B's Flight Model as 9S in route C

will definitely help everyone once i have all archive, i need to read them!

Oh that reminds me, seems like I'm missing one storybook? Maybe it's Emil. But I got all the picture books from Route B I thought.

Yeah basically:

Route A - 2B
Route B - 9S
Route C/D/E - A2/9S

And that's the thing, the themes discussed here aren't anything new, I think as someone else mentioned. It's something of a very common trope in sci fi (such as in Battlestar Galactica), so the entire time I was wondering how Taro was going to subvert it or handle it. And ultimately, he actually does without being trite. Because he's fucking Yoko Taro. To further emphasize though outside of idolizing Taro, things such as the incident with 21O or but even the Pascal stuff. He knows how to keep it up without ruining the beat. But even the subquests as so well written that they evoke so many emotions.

Slater

Banned
That is the beauty of it. These beings who have gained their own sentience are simply fighting over and agonizing over the remains of something that is dust and doesn't even exist.

All of this is directly traced back to the collapse of humanity. I feel like Yoko taro's depiction of the slow collapse of humanity from 2003 all the way to 2052 is the creepiest thing ever, up there with The Second Renaissance in the Animatrix.

He clearly details how WCS spreads around the world, the attempts and failures at humanity to fight back the destruction and pain. You could create an entire game itself just based on early 20th century human efforts to fight back against the Legion

That's what I've been saying! 1 Android and 4 replicants vs Red Eye and the Legion in bombed out Jerusalem is the perfect prequel setting

Inuhanyou

That's what I've been saying! 1 Android and 4 replicants vs Red Eye and the Legion in bombed out Jerusalem is the perfect prequel setting

I dunno about androids and replicants, i would assume long before that. The projects the Japanse government got up to would be more fitting i feel, where they would inject the patients with super powers and send them out

"almost like my japanese animes!"

Slater

Banned
I dunno about androids and replicants, i would assume long before that. The projects the Japanse government got up to would be more fitting i feel, where they would inject the patients with super powers and send them out

"almost like my japanese animes!"

But what I was talking about is how they finally beat the legion, it would be a perfect setup for what comes after

That said, I don't know how much I necessarily agree with ending E. Undertale influence I imagine. Considering everything that happened, they should have stayed dead. I dunno. I'm still in emotional shambles.

I think ending E is tonally consistent with the rest of the game. This game has many themes but one that is pretty consistent throughout is HOPE. It didn't feel like a cop-out to me especially with the last conversations between the pods going something like:

" If we restore them with all their memories intact won't the same thing just happen again?"
-" That's a very good possibility but we can't assume that things won't happen differently"

Obviously this isn't what they are saying verbatim but that's what I got out of it.

I really really hope the NierVerse will have more entries because I personally like it a whole lot more than Drakengard

Inuhanyou

But what I was talking about is how they finally beat the legion, it would be a perfect setup for what comes after

Yeah, but i was coming at a game more int he somber tones of a tragedy, you already know all their attempts are doomed to failure, it would be more of a character driven story rather than an actual plot led game about the destruction of Red Eye

Yeah, but i was coming at a game more int he somber tones of a tragedy, you already know all their attempts are doomed to failure, it would be more of a character driven story rather than an actual plot led game about the destruction of Red Eye

So something a little bit like Star Wars: Rogue One, where you know what will ultimately happen but still enjoy following the characters through the hardships

I think ending E is tonally consistent with the rest of the game. This game has many themes but one that is pretty consistent throughout is HOPE. It didn't feel like a cop-out to me especially with the last conversations between the pods going something like:

" If we restore them with all their memories intact won't the same thing just happen again?"
-" That's a very good possibility but we can't assume that things won't happen differently"

Obviously this isn't what they are saying verbatim but that's what I got out of it.

I really really hope the NierVerse will have more entries because I personally like it a whole lot more than Drakengard

And I agree it is, especially when you see how Pod 042 and 153 banter on and start to evolve and gain their own will. Could almost say considering how they did that since Route B, it's probably canon in the end since they intervened. But I guess I echo 9S, and many others, that in the end, everything was meaningless.

One thing i didn't understand (already asked on the OT, but just to be sure, and because i'm stupid, can't figure it out myself)

2B or Type E, She was designed to kill 9S if he come too close to the truth? It happened many times, but what happen when she kills him? They just make a new 9S model with fresh memories, and put 2B with him everytime?

h4t3

Why did A2 kill the mighty ^^ forest king?

Just for the lulz? Showing B2 + 9S how "badass" she is?

Slater

Banned
One thing i didn't understand (already asked on the OT, but just to be sure, and because i'm stupid, can't figure it out myself)

2B or Type E, She was designed to kill 9S if he come too close to the truth? It happened many times, but what happen when she kills him? They just make a new 9S model with fresh memories, and put 2B with him everytime?

They just wipe his memory so he doesn't remember meeting her at all.

Top Bottom