• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nigga and You: A Comprehensive Guide to the N-Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Real surprised people got so shook at David Simon griping at Sean Hannity on Twitter.

Dude's clearly drunk tweeting tonight though. Unforced errors left and right.

But what about singing along rap songs?!

Doesn't sound very good nor does it rhyme.

I make my own like Kidz Bop versions when I sing along in my car. "When a rich [guy] want you... and yo [boyfriend] can't do nothin for ya" it's a little bit silly but I feel like if I get used to singing it then maybe it'll lodge itself in my brain and subconsciously become a comfortable part of my vocabulary and I'd rather just sound like a dork instead.

NEO0MJ

But like, what if you're Arab and want to refer to another Arab as a sand n?

OK, no one actually does that.

Wait, is this an issue?

Because this a thing among Muslims. You call other Muslims brother and sister.

True and it becomes ingrained in the culture of that area as well. Though I've never used it in English much because most muslims I know speak Arabic.

Pop Quiz: Your middle school teacher is making your class read aloud parts of Huckleberry Finn. What does a non-black student do if the passage he or she has to read aloud has the word nigger in it?

Black dad/asian mother, but I inherited my mother's skin tone.

Am I allowed to use the word?

My Mom is of that mix, her Asian mother being Japanese; and I've never heard her use that word. Although it doesn't help that my Mom looks more Japanese than Black.

However the rule that seems to work the best is if you gotta ask then no.

But like, what if you're Arab and want to refer to another Arab as a sand n?

OK, no one actually does that.

True and it becomes ingrained in the culture of that area as well. Though I've never used it in English much because most muslims I know speak Arabic.

Doesn't DJ Khaled use the n-word? He's Palestinian... is this like an individual pass for him only?

If you identify more with your black roots and are a part of the black community, I don't see why not. You are probably black enough to inherit the struggles that come with being black in America

I feel like technically after some explanation yes but depending on how obvious or not your heritage is you'd get shit from people. But among those who know you I can't imagine why not. Then again I'm not black I'm brown so this is obviously not my question to answer lol

What are the black community's thoughts on white people referring to black people as "a brother?" This has always irritated me.

depends on how it's used. If it's a genuine term of bonding, like the way Hulk Hogan, bikers, or men at a Christian retreat say it, It's all good and actually kind of cool. There's a kinship and it feels sort of real.

If it's said like Howard Stern says it, ie, "Brotha", it makes me want to punch somebody.

Slightly less irksome, but also very annoying is the condescending, "bro" said on the West Coast. However, when said by actual beach culture guys or hispanics, it's cool. Feels totally different. When the average white guy says it, it's usually meant in a wink/nod way.

Variation on 'Bro" is 'Brah' or 'Bra', usually said only between black dudes because nobody else says it, correctly.

Practice D.O.N.T. Great rule to follow. I'm not only from the an older gen of black guys that hates when other blacks use it so loosely, but many in my generation get physically angry when it's used by non-blacks. Proceed with caution.

Also, these are just my personal thoughts/observations. We're not a monolith.

benjipwns

Banned
Real surprised people got so shook at David Simon griping at Sean Hannity on Twitter.

Dude's clearly drunk tweeting tonight though. Unforced errors left and right.
He's more or less been drunk tweeting his life the last five years. He's a mess. Sad!

sirap

My Mom is of that mix, her Asian mother being Japanese; and I've never heard her use that word. Although it doesn't help that my Mom looks more Japanese than Black.

However the rule that seems to work the best is if you gotta ask then no.

Interesting. Now I can't stop thinking about MJ calling his friends that in his high-pitched voice.

Real talk though, family reunions get really awkward for me. Not only am I lighter than my American cousins (who insist on calling me nigga) but I'm also muslim. Fun times.

atr0cious

Pop Quiz: Your middle school teacher is making your class read aloud parts of Huckleberry Finn. What does a non-black student do if the passage he or she has to read aloud has the word nigger in it?
Read it out loud while staring right into the teachers eyes so you can see how excited they get from having you say it.

God level thread.

If you have to think about whether or not you can say it, or whether it's safe for you to say...it probably isn't.

Zekes!

Can Rachel Dolezal say it?

KwQOS1P.jpg

Brakke

Banned
He's more or less been drunk tweeting his life the last five years. He's a mess. Sad!

It's really Sad! that he thought anybody needed his help figuring out that Hannity is 1) a complete clown who is 2) uniquely unqualified to have an opinion on anything Black at all.

Picking a pointless fight with an idiot is a bad look even if you pull it off eloquently. But to fall flat on your face when embarking on a pointless mission... yikes.

Interesting. Now I can't stop thinking about MJ calling his friends that in his high-pitched voice.

Real talk though, family reunions get really awkward for me. I'm lighter than my American cousins (who insist on calling me nigga) but also Muslim ��

Bruh, I'm as light as light can get and still be considered black. It's just I have nappy hair and negro features on my face such as a wide nose and thick lips. It helped that my father was a Black militant that grew out of the Black power movement and brought me up around black consciousness and culture and raised me in a predominantly black middle class neighborhood and school.

My family reunions get awkward not because of how light my family is, but how in shape we are because everybody else looks like the Klumps. LOL

Parts of Toronto can have large populations of South Asian families. I hear these kids casully call eachother niggas in public all the time.

PInk Tape

Banned
OP you're on a roll with these threads lately.

I feel like this OP should be made into an instructional video or a poster or something.

Aske

But I'm simply the jivest of honkies! Mayn't I still say the ennword? I'm au fait with several Quentin Taranto joints, and frequently comment on the distinct lack of nubian recurring characters in mainstream 90s sitcoms to the chagrin of my less-urban contemporaries! I watched the Coolio episode of Celebrity Trading Spouses thrice!

Platy

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask, but it seems like a guide to race 101 thread and it mentions biracial and black latinos ... so I want to ask.

...what the fuck exactly is the "one drop rule" and how exactly it is used in the everyday life in the usa ?
How far you need to go on your family tree ?

I never understood how that works since it is a very alien concept to me

benjipwns

Banned
But I'm simply the jivest of honkies! Mayn't I still say the ennword? I'm au fait with several Quentin Taranto joints, and frequently comment on the distinct lack of nubian recurring characters in mainstream 90s sitcoms to the chagrin of my less-urban contemporaries! I watched the Coolio episode of Celebrity Trading Spouses thrice!
jive-3.png

I live in ATL. Pretty damn common of the word use.

I was hanging with a group of, I'm guessing something close to Indian?, use the word liberally. I was quite amazed.

Ban Puncher

I am not American and do not live in America. Can I still sing along to my rap tapes in my rap car or do I have to listen exclusively to anime OPs and EDs with the windows down?

Zekes!

RE: biracial people using nigga,

I'm half black, half white, who looks pretty damn white. Like I constantly get the, "you're joking right?", "there's no way you're half black", or the "I would never have guessed". I'm pretty mindful of my appearance so the only time I use nigga, if I do at all, is with other Black people that I'm close with, like my brother or my cousin.

I have a hard time policing what anybody says, so I find it absolutely insane that people aren't "allowed" to speak it when it's in a song.

I understand the issue with it in casual speak, but I grew up around people using it in casual conversation with no bearing on race.
So while I don't particularly enjoy the word, I also don't really care when I see non black people use it.

Especially since I've never spoken nigga as a way to refer to anyone in the real world since I always felt it sounded awkward coming out of my mouth despite being black, only started using it in conversation outside of referring to the word once I started to have conversations in text online.

The only thing that really bothers me is when people say "the n-word" rather than speaking it, nigga or nigger is just a word not voldermort, it won't disappear just because you bleep it out while discussing things surrounding it, I've felt this way ever since I read Huckleberry Finn in elementary school, really started to annoy me in history in highschool.

Actually, another thing that bothered me is km a predominantly black forum I use one time they flipped out on a white member for quoting rap song lyrics in text in a lyrics thread and one of the lyrics having nigga in it, as well as said member making a post on another site months prior that said "a bunch of privileged white kids in this thread are whining just because they can't call people nigga".

Shit was absolutely bonkers to me, especially with all the shit they call whites, gay's, women, and other races as well as how much they complain about the "pussyfication" and "sensitivity", that they would get so sensitive over that.

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask, but it seems like a guide to race 101 thread and it mentions biracial and black latinos ... so I want to ask.

...what the fuck exactly is the "one drop rule" and how exactly it is used in the everyday life in the usa ?

Basically if you had any Black in you, you were Black. It was a way to disenfranchise any babies born out of miscegenation and keep the White race "pure" and at the top of the racial hierarchy in America.

It's kind of hilarious to me to imagine that if somehow black people came together in some Chappelle's Show style governing body and issued a statement that white people can now freely use the N-word it'd get played out in like two months and then white people would have to find another word to covet/steal. But also just imagine how nuts people would go using it... every local news station would pepper it into their awkward banter.

...I've thought too hard about this x_x

In a modern context, the one drop rule is basically the paper bag test with an additional checklist of typical black facial features that you have to check off for white America to consider you black if you're biracial.

BvVWeeyIIAAUIa1.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't touch this word with a 12-foot pole, and I'm fine with that.

funny my younger cousin calls me nigga sometimes even though we're hispanic and it's not just him but a lot of teens in highschool which is also mostly hispanic. I tell him why he uses it lol but he says its just the way teens talk around our area.

Around 2012 I asked one of my best friends (black dude) if, in order to guarantee Obama's re-election, white people were given a free pass on the n-word (nigga, not -er) for the duration of his term. He was ready to inaugurate Romney then and there.

Outside of black people, I see brown people use the N word often. They seem to hang around black friends, or listen to a lot of rap and hip hop, and maybe have adopted the word. Are they allowed? They seem to be more socially accepted to use it than white people as I sometimes hear them say it freely (here in Toronto).

What happens when their black friends call them the N word? They seem to reply in kind, and they just seem to be accepted.

Also, can I say fam? I am saying fam.

i deal with this all the time. but not just women. but my latin ex gf was fond of using it.

I got a Pacific Islander homegirl who only dates Black men and has a child from a Black man, jokingly replies that she gets to say it, "because of all the bullshit you niggas put me through".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom