• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: 3DS sells 400k day 1

Dystify

400k would place it behind the GBA and DS in best handheld openings, if I looked at this right:
Chris1964 said:
Famitsu handheld openings

1989.04.21 (Nintendo GameBoy) - unknown (3 days)
1990.10.06 (Sega GameGear) - unknown (2 days)
1995.07.21 (Nintendo VirtualBoy) - unknown (3 days)
1996.07.21 (Nintendo GameBoyPocket) - unknown (1 day)
1998.04.14 (Nintendo GameBoyLight) - unknown (6 days)
1998.10.21 (Nintendo GameBoyColor) - 155.774 (5 days)
1998.10.28 (SNK NeoGeoPocket) - 21.471 (5 days)
1999.03.04 (Bandai WonderSwan) - 102.655 (4 days)
1999.03.19 (SNK NeoGeoPocketColor) - 18.809 (3 days)
2000.12.09 (Bandai WonderSwanColor) - 145.975 (2 days)
2001.03.21 (Nintendo GameBoyAdvance) - 611.504 (5 days)
2002.07.12 (Bandai SwanCrystal) - 30.692 (3 days)
2003.02.14 (Nintendo GameBoyAdvance SP) - 117.859 (3 days)
2004.12.02 (Nintendo DS) - 441.485 (4 days)
2004.12.12 (Sony PSP-1000) - 166.074 (1 day)
2005.09.13 (Nintendo GameBoyMicro) - 148.117 (6 days)
2006.03.02 (Nintendo DS Lite) - 67.653 (4 days)
2007.09.20 (Sony PSP-2000) - 263.538 (4 days)
2008.10.16 (Sony PSP-3000) - 155.720 (4 days)
2008.11.01 (Nintendo DSi) - 170.779 (2 days)
2009.11.01 (Sony PSP Go) - 28.275 (1 day)
2009.11.21 (Nintendo DSi LL) - 103.524 (2 days)
2011.02.26 (Nintendo 3DS) - xxx.xxx (2 days)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26126276&postcount=113

They could've reached much higher numbers if the supply was higher, obviously.

Supposedly there's another shipment today though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Majine said:
I think Nintendo is a little bit to cautious with their supplies.

I really dont think there's any caution playing a part in Nintendo's supply.

Cygnus X-1

Majine said:
I think Nintendo is a little bit to cautious with their supplies.

I think that their problem is the production. Since they're launching next month even in US and Europe, lot of supplies will be directed there.

Anyway, is it right that tomorrow there will be another shipment in Japan?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
EatChildren said:
For comparisons sake, Nintendo shipped 400,000 Wiis to Japan for launch, and it took two days to sell ~370,000.
Anyone have launch numbers for DS/DSL/DSi?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Old school

301kevk.gif

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It's no wonder they delayed it to February. Launching in Nov. of last year would have been disastrous.

MisterHero

cosmicblizzard said:
I'm surprised people are surprised. 400k is not a large shipment at all. This was bound to happen.
I am. 3DS is more expensive compared to Nintendo's prior products which sold about the same amount

-Pyromaniac- said:
Except Virtual Boy, and N64, and Gamecube!
The N64 has the best Nintendo games ever. Gamecube had its revenge by combining and forming the Wii. The Virtual Boy is just awesome.

SO THERE

XiaNaphryz said:
Errr, N64 sold a ton of units.
I wouldn't call 30.9? Or was it 32.9? Something like that a TON considering the playstation sold 102 million. I'm just saying he was implying the sales of everything nintendo has done compares to that of the soon to be 3DS numbers, and wii numbers, and DS numbers, which are all far far far far far more than what the n64 sold. Pretty disappointing in comparison.

I think people loved the n64 and made up their own history :p

Cygnus X-1

Right now, I'm really wondering how much profits is making Nintendo from every single 3DS unit they're selling. Any idea, guys?

TAS

Hey..just because N64 and Gamecube weren't #1 in their respected categories, doesn't mean they didn't make Nintendo a boatload of money. Virtual Boy is another story. :p

Jinfash said:
What a weird and offtopic question lol.

Well I saw a video that said people got them running on it within hours. After Nintendo said there would be increased security I was pretty surprised to see videos up that quickly.

MisterHero said:
I am. 3DS is more expensive compared to Nintendo's prior products which sold about the same amount

It's also the follow up to the best selling system in Japan ever. The price is higher, but not ridiculously higher than its predecessor like the PS3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Galvanise_ said:
Nice. When are the next shipments due?

Is it true that its been hacked to run R4's already?

One of the R4 carts with the right firmware boots and can load DS roms. Nothing was hacked to get it working, as far as I'm aware, and its no indication that the 3DS has been hacked to run 3DS games.

The increased security likely exists only in how 3DS games run. This was just DS stuff.

It's all part of Nintendo's plan. That's why they aren't releasing the store till later. They see any hacks that are already out then patch them with an update that absolutely everyone will want.

Or I'm giving them too much credit and Nintendo simply isn't as good as lets say a Sony with security.

Cygnus X-1

-Pyromaniac- said:
I wouldn't call 30.9? Or was it 32.9? Something like that a TON considering the playstation sold 102 million. I'm just saying he was implying the sales of everything nintendo has done compares to that of the soon to be 3DS numbers, and wii numbers, and DS numbers, which are all far far far far far more than what the n64 sold. Pretty disappointing in comparison.

No. Nintendo made a shitload of money with the software, since the vast majority of the games that were sold on the console were Nintendo's games. Moreover, since so few games came out on the console, almost every few of them was a million seller.

Of course I don't think Nintendo made more money with the N64 than with the Wii or the DS. Of course not! But anyway, the profits Nintendo did with the N64 were of the order ot billions $.

TAS

Cygnus X-1 said:
Right now, I'm really wondering how much profits is making Nintendo from every single 3DS unit they're selling. Any idea, guys?

Knowing Nintendo and their obsession with profit margins, I can't see each unit costing more than $100 to manufacture.

EatChildren said:
One of the R4 carts with the right firmware boots and can load DS roms. Nothing was hacked to get it working, as far as I'm aware, and its no indication that the 3DS has been hacked to run 3DS games.

The increased security likely exists only in how 3DS games run. This was just DS stuff.

Thanks for clearing it up for me. I know next to nothing about R4's so I was wondering how the heck it had happened.

faridmon said:
400k? not impressed, Can't Nintendo ship more 3DSes since it is written all over it that its going to sell in matter of minuttes. But no, Nintendo is being conservative...
They produced well over a million.

They are selling them in chunks to keep people buying new software alongside their consoles and to make sure there's not a month long chunk wherein no 3DSes are available.

methos75

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
It's all part of Nintendo's plan. That's why they aren't releasing the store till later. They see any hacks that are already out then patch them with an update that absolutely everyone will want.

Or I'm giving them too much credit and Nintendo simply isn't as good as lets say a Sony with security.

Sony.

Good.

Security.

BWAAAA lol

Celine

-Pyromaniac- said:
N64 performance in North America was really good both from a software and hardware point of view.
To put in perspective N64 sold 20 million while SNES 22 million in NA.
In Japan however sales were abysmal and Europe was never a strong market for Nintendo console until Wii advent.

( Also I believe that the profit margin on cartridge were better than on disk for Nintendo ... )

methos75 said:
Sony.

Good.

Security.

BWAAAA lol
Why the PS3 took forever to haxx and the PSP was hacked quickly but they kept on top of making it extremely difficult, like the launch of PSP3K and Go. Obviously eventually they learned you can't beat them but they do better than the rest.

Baki

Will there be a second shipment in time?! If so, I'll be screwed in terms of predicitons.

IIRC NDS sold over 400K on its launch week and the GBA sold over 600K.

Cygnus X-1

Baki said:
Will there be a second shipment in time?! If so, I'll be screwed in terms of predicitons.

IIRC NDS sold over 400K on its launch week and the GBA sold over 600K.

Shibuya Tsutaya says yes.

29.jpg

Top Bottom