• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei Blog: JPN companies are cancelling all Vita titles for 3DS, Sony: Not true

There are more people who own a DS and/or PSP then there are people who owned a GBA, more consumers means more games, it's simple math really. The PSP and DS library combined are superior to that of the GBA alone.
Only "and". GBA outsold PSP, in half the time on shelves.

MoxManiac

One reason could be that the previous Street Fighter 4 console release was released about 10 months before SF4 3DS. With Marvel VS Capcom, the difference is about 1 month. SF4 3DS also looks pretty cool in 3D doesnt it? It could be a showcase.

It looks better in 2D mode.

DCharlie

Banned
Only in Japan and only used in a handful of stuff.
Actually functioned as a web cam on the Dreamcast.

was amazing seeing news reports showing how some doctors/patients in rural areas were using the Dreamcast + camera to do distance-appointment/checkups

But yeah, not much use in games.

rockx4

For me it kinda does, seeing as 3DS games look as they do. Can't I have great gameplay and good graphics?

If graphics means so much to you I'm sure you do most of your gaming on a high end PC. I also wish all games were developed with a high end PC as the leading platform, but that will never happen.

I own all the current consoles\handheld, and a good PC. I don't mind how games look on their respective platforms. To me 360\PS3, DS\PSP\3DS\Vita all look fine given their limitations. Fun games are fun regardless of the platform.

Hyuga

Banned
If graphics means so much to you I'm sure you do most of your gaming on a high end PC. I also wish all games were developed with a high end PC as the leading platform, but that will never happen.
I own all the current consoles\handheld, and a good PC. I don't mind how games look on their respective platforms. To me 360\PS3, DS\PSP\3DS\Vita all look fine given their limitations. Fun games are fun regardless of the platform.
Don't have to be a high end PC. "Strong hardware" is "enough".
And yes, good graphics are important, too. It has to be a perfect mix.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
OMG still these "graphic VS gameplay" discussion? Warptime! 2004 is back!
Joke aparts, I think that 3ds graphic, when properly developed, is really good. Vita graphic is even better!
If I'll have money, I'll buy Vita also (probably not at launch).

That said: does anyone think that it's strange that Sony gave an official reply to this Nikkei article?

rockx4

OMG still these "graphic VS gameplay" discussion? Warptime! 2004 is back!
Joke aparts, I think that 3ds graphic, when properly developed, is really good. Vita graphic is even better!
If I'll have money, I'll buy Vita also (probably not at launch).

That said: does anyone think that it's strange that Sony gave an official reply to this Nikkei article?

Yep, I agree that graphics are fine on both 3DS and Vita. And if a game was on 3DS and Vita, I would most likely buy the Vita version. Just like multi-platform games on the ps3\360, I'll pick whichever is the superior version. But I'm still fine if a game was developed only for the 3DS, I think the graphics on 3DS games are adequate.

Terrell

Yes, because the form factor for PSVita and laptop/desktop PC is the same? I like powerful graphics ON a portable. Why can't I have both? With PSVita I can, but it seems others have a problem with that?
I think the assertion that 3DS graphics are insufficient is the problem people are having with your statement.

Also, the high-end PC comment likely means that any console is insufficient because it's so out-dated compared to what a PC can offer, and therefore you would never buy a console because it can't offer the highest-end experience that your statements indicate you demand.

DiscoJer

Well, they really didn't, if you read the article at Gamasutra.

"I did not see that quote, but you see extremist quotes like that all the time," says Rohde, who spoke to Gamasutra about the incipient launch of the Vita in North America.

So the guy was asked, but has no idea what he's responding to, and he wouldn't be in a position to know anything. How would a guy at SCEA know the status of Vita development of third parties in Japan? He just guessed at an answer.

I think the assertion that 3DS graphics are insufficient is the problem people are having with your statement.

Also, the high-end PC comment likely means that any console is insufficient because it's so out-dated compared to what a PC can offer, and therefore you would never buy a console because it can't offer the highest-end experience that your statements indicate you demand.

I consider devices relative to their category and purpose. Yes, I have a high end-PC, do most of my gaming on a PC, I still have PS3 for great console-only titles.

For portables I cannot have a PC at the palm of my hand. So I have two choices: 3DS or PSVita. Ofc Vita will not offer me PC graphics, however it does offer better graphics than the other portable system.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, they really didn't, if you read the article at Gamasutra.

So the guy was asked, but has no idea what he's responding to, and he wouldn't be in a position to know anything. How would a guy at SCEA know the status of Vita development of third parties in Japan? He just guessed at an answer.

Thank you for the clarification! Actually, you seems right.
That said, I think that it's quiet funny how a lot of different sources claimed for 3DoooomedS and now are claiming for PSdeath...

Yep, I agree that graphics are fine on both 3DS and Vita. And if a game was on 3DS and Vita, I would most likely buy the Vita version. Just like multi-platform games on the ps3\360, I'll pick whichever is the superior version. But I'm still fine if a game was developed only for the 3DS, I think the graphics on 3DS games are adequate.

Yep! Also if in some case I would prefer 3DS version over Vita version (not only for the 3d effect, that I love if it's glasses-free but especially for the dual screen, very useful in some case!)

especially if for the moment I have just a 3DS a no Vita :D

Keep in mind that the GBA was replaced after three years and dead by four, while both the PSP and DS have enjoyed nearly eight years of life and are only now being replaced.

As I said earlier, that's just not quite true -- the GBA was replaced after 3 1/2 years, had five and a half years of first party support, had a few decent third party titles in the year after that, and saw its last release (yet another bad licensed game) about 6 3/4ths years after release. Basically the DS was rushed because of the PSP, but Nintendo did continue supporting the GBA for another two years after its release with some solid titles. So, though the DS certainly has a longer lifespan (and larger sales numbers), unlike the GBC's excessively short life, the GBA did have a full 5+ year life of decent game support.

But yeah, handheld system generations have consistently been MUCH less reliable in terms of length than console generations. I mean, the GB wasn't replaced for nine years (Virtual Boy aside, but that was only technically portable), but then after that the replacement times were 2.5 years, 3.5 years, and 7 years (or 4 years and then 2 1/4th years, if you count the DSi as a separate console as it really was). Not much consistency. Handhelds from other manufacturers are similarly inconsistent, with lives everywhere from a year or two up to 7+ years for the GG and PSP.

Nope, but the NES did. It was so bad.

That's a bit different though, that SNES controller is a tit-controlled gamepad, like the MS Sidewinder Freestyle Pro (MS's late '90s tilt controller for the PC), Wiimote, or Sixaxis/Dual Shock 3. You're right that the Power Glove also uses tilt controls, sort of, but it uses a different version of it (with those sensor things you put on the television), and isn't a gamepad so the feel, and control, is different.

I don't know how well that SNES controller works, but the Freestyle Pro at least did work pretty decently, for racing games at least.

jrDev

I consider devices relative to their category and purpose. Yes, I have a high end-PC, do most of my gaming on a PC, I still have PS3 for great console-only titles.

For portables I cannot have a PC at the palm of my hand. So I have two choices: 3DS or PSVita. Ofc Vita will not offer me PC graphics, however it does offer better graphics than the other portable system.
That's not what you said though, writing is key:
For me it kinda does, seeing as 3DS games look as they do. Can't I have great gameplay and good graphics?
Maybe if you said 'best', 'good' implies otherwise, as to say 3DS graphics are now terrible/insufficient (which is lightyears from the truth). Plus good graphics almost always depend on the art style.

Top Bottom