• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

You not liking a console doesn't make it not high profile. It was the successor to the Wii which was the market leader last generation.
I didn't exactly like the Wii too much either, but don't worry I get where you are coming from. I base everything around the amount of games I have. I think I have more Vita games than Wii and Wii U games combined, but that's not too important since that thing is in its legacy coffin.

What I'm really curious about now is whether this means NX will actually be at or below the Wii U price ballpark. I mean, I don't think they'd continue manufacturing units either way with how historically badly Wii U has sold, but it's curious that they don't seem to intend to maintain Wii U as a legacy/budget option like they did with past obsolete hardware.

So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

Generally, yes.

There were some really fantastic benchmark games for Nintendo's transition into HD that hit my sweet spot more or less exactly:

- Pikmin 3
- Super Mario 3D World
- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
- Mario Kart 8
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

There were some really fun and unique experiences that I don't think we'd have gotten without the Wii U GamePad:

- Nintendo Land (asymmetrical multiplayer)
- The Wonderful 101 (Okami-like powers in an action game)
- Splatoon (colorful shooter where the objective is based on the map)
- Super Mario Maker (touch screen is perfect for level editing)

Not to mention that the GamePad made a lot of existing gameplay templates much better:

- The Wind Waker HD (inventory management and navigation)
- Twilight Princess HD (inventory management and navigation)
- Assassin's Creed (navigation)
- Darksiders II (inventory management and navigation)
- Xenoblade Chronicles X (navigation and quest management)

And I loved some of the oddball releases that popped up here and there, like:

- Lego City Undercover
- Hyrule Warriors
- Bayonetta 2
- Yoshi's Woolly World
- Shovel Knight
- Child of Light

In the end, I've got a pretty great library, I've got a replacement for my dead Wii (this can't be emphasized enough), I've got a nice modern way to play my Virtual Console games, and I'll get four good years out of its original catalog. I can't complain about any of that.

TI82

Banned
Time to move on Nintendo. Wii U is proof that the gimmicks fad is dead, back to good old classic gaming.

Javier

If anything I'll always remember the Wii U as the system that gave us Splatoon. The sole fact that the game managed to succeed with a single release on Nintendo's least successful console despite having almost everything against it is a pretty damn impressive achievement.

Bring on Splatoon 2 on NX.

KevinG

Thankful I waited for the Wind Waker themed Wii U. Now, depending on backwards compatibility, I can resell it at the $300 I bought it for.

Yukinari

So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

My only regret is that i didnt buy Lego City Undercover or a pro controller yet. Otherwise the console has some of the best exclusives of the generation and gets treated like garbage around here.

sphinx

the piano man
That's why you make 3! One for each triforce! Wii U version, NX version, 3DS (or NX portable) version!

This may not have been serious but I am thinking we will get something like that.

probably an ages/oracles scenario of sorts

FyreWulff

Holy shit. THAT fast? Is this the fastest termination for a high-profile console ever?

I seem to remember they killed the GBA pretty fast after the DS came out. Like one month GBA had shipments and the next month the GBA had zero shipments.

They also stopped manufacturing GameCubes during the GC's run at one point, waiting for inventory depletion before they started making them again.

This is why (strangely) I expect NX to release 2017. Stopping mfg doesn't mean much if you got a million units left to sell, so I think they plan to deplete the Wii U reserves out in 2017 to make room for the NX.

edit: they also stopped making Wiis before the Wii was actually fully dead

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
After seeing how Nintendo went from the Wii to Wii U... Anything can happen lol, but I just hope they learn from their mistakes and also learn what the competitors has to offer.

I seriously doubt they have learn anything, especially seeing devs saying they didn't get any NX dev kit. They are too stubborn.

I wouldnt be shock if NX sold less than 2 million in the next 2 years.

Vlaphor

Bought my Wii U used about 15 months ago, mainly for Bayonetta 2. That was awesome, and I liked Super Mario 3d World and Donkey Kong...but haven't really played too much else on it. The biggest problem for me was the mixture of games that looked kinda cool, but not must have, and the fact that Nintendo games never drop in price. Mario Maker looks cool, but not full price cool to me. Same with Mario Kart and Smash Bros (though I want that more now that Bayonetta's in it...). I am interested in TMS, but not if it gets butchered too badly in the localization.

Still, my Wii U has been gathering dust for quite some time, and this is even with the fact that I can use the Wii U pad to play games on the can. There just hasn't been enough must haves at the prices Nintendo wants to charge. Hopefully they'll do better next time.

Trago

If they are killing the console early, then the NX better have a stacked first year.

Wii U's post launch drought was painful.

Kid Ying

How could you even say that if you're a Nintendo fan? The Wii U has some of the best Nintendo games EVER made. If you expect it to be a third party box, yeah, it's shit, and NX probably will be too. But the Wii U as a Nintendo box is unreal.
I don't have much time to play and almost dont play 3rd party games (i'm not on the bandwagon that think nintendo needs those to be successful. They don't) and i dont think the wiiu was that good... Nintendo made some good stuff, that's for sure, but there is a lot of stuff that is unappealing to me and, i guess, for a lot of people. I like platformers, but couldnt care less for stuff like pokken or xenoblade. They mjght be good for some, but not for me.

When you release only one game a month, you have to make it as attractive as possible and most of wiiu games attract just a few. Until 2014 i was satisfied with it. But 2015 and 2016 have been awful.

JoeM86

I seriously doubt they have learn anything, especially seeing devs saying they didn't get any NX dev kit. They are too stubborn.

I wouldnt be shock if NX sold less than 2 million in the next 2 years.

To be fair, the devs that haven't got the dev kits and have made a fuss have been ones that have barely touched Nintendo consoles, so why would they get preferential treatment? Big third parties and indies that have been supporting Nintendo would get priority over one that made an Xbox One exclusive and one whose only Nintendo game was a late port with features cut down.

If they are killing the console early, then the NX better have a stacked first year.

Wii U's post launch drought was painful.

I don't trust Nintendo to stack the first year. For years, even before Wii U they always promise no droughts and it happens constantly.

However, NX may solve this. Maybe. In theory. But they've given me no reason to trust them.

Dystify

I really hope they will re-release the greatest Wii U games on NX. More people should play them.

To be honest, I fully expect Smash and Zelda ports. Splatoon/MK8 may wait until their successor. Mario Maker only if there's a touchscreen.

Gator86

Sure lol

If you bought a Wii U, you'll likely buy anything Nintendo releases.

...which is why I'll probably pick up an NX at launch! Nintendo fans take a lot of abuse.

Personally, I skipped the Wii and just sold my WiiU. I have no intention of messing with the NX until it's super cheap or, more likely, dead. Just not worth it for a dozen games.

SerTapTap

Considering the handheld & Iwata's "like brothers" comment, ARM seems more likely.

As for Splatoon, I honestly don't see the point of a port since they can easily get a sequel done by next year. We'll definitely get a Zelda U port & maybe a Smash 4 port.

You can have mobile X86...not battery efficient but...3DS isn't either. ARM's probably more likely due to being something that's fit for mobile and handheld dev too, but x86 is my hope at least for home console.

I guess it wouldn't matter much if they aren't banking much on third party support for the console...which they probably aren't.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
MAN, I hope there's some good integration between WiiU and NX. I'd hate to see Nintendo think that people want to rebuy everything again:

"RE-BUY YOUR FAVORITE WII U CLASSICS ON THE NX eSHOP! NOW ON SALE!"

We've seen backwards compat with the Wii and GC and WiiU and Wii, so hopefully we get it again.

georly

Nope. That'd be Pokémon mini

Neither of which is a 'home console' that plugs into a tv, no? (also, til that a pokemon mini exists) On that note, surely one of their game and watch systems must have sold less than either of those, no? No way every game and watch sold blockbusters.

Zomba13

Bought it at launch and while there was a patch near post launch where I started to regret it I don't at all at this point. Zombi U was a great launch game, the Wii U has had a bunch of fantastic exclusives and is well worth the money I put into it. Plus the BC with Wii (and GC if you have a way to launch them via Wii Homebrew) makes it a great console to just play some older games.

Only issue is the lack of gamepad stuff. I mean outside of off-tv play (which is great in a shared TV environment). Too few games really took advantage of it and it's kinda sad.

Top Bottom