• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
MAN, I hope there's some good integration between WiiU and NX. I'd hate to see Nintendo think that people want to rebuy everything again:

"RE-BUY WII U CLASSIC ON THE NX eSHOP! NOW ON SALE!"

I have some faith in Nintendo and backwards compatibility. This is the company that let me transfer ancient Wii VC purchases to Wii U (albeit in Wii Mode.)

GBA had around a 7-year lifespan. It was discontinued in 2008.

The last Nintendo published title was the Western version of FFVI Advance by Square Enix in 2007. Nintendo did indeed support the GBA as a third pillar long after what many people remember, but really, the GBA was finished in early 2007. What you're saying is a bit like saying the Nintendo 64 lasted 6 years because of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 in NA and an official announcement by Nintendo.

MAN, I hope there's some good integration between WiiU and NX. I'd hate to see Nintendo think that people want to rebuy everything again:

"RE-BUY WII U CLASSIC ON THE NX eSHOP! NOW ON SALE!"

legitimate fear

Though if you bought games digitally on your NNID

might be smoother?

And you could register purchased games on the old rewards system. Maybe you cna redeem for a one time digital download?

Only 4 years of console life span has got to be a record, right? I feel bad, my brother in law bought his kids a WiiU just last year.

Since they're shutting down production, does this make it likely that the NX will be backwards compatible?
I don't think there is a connection to make there. They'll be shutting down because it's not economical to keep making them.
My guess is it won't be, but please be excited for remasters!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The real news here is that Nintendo is still producing Wii Us

That was my first thought. I seriously thought they were still selling consoles built for the initial launch stock, if not built very shortly thereafter. I mean they've only sold about 12 million of the things.

Only 4 years of console life span has got to be a record, right? I feel bad, my brother in law bought his kids a WiiU just last year.

Dreamcast was 3 years

Xbox 1 was 4 years, too

Anth0ny

I'm not shocked at all by this. the thing is a fucking failure. people saying NX is 2017 were always crazy. the wii u needs to be gone and forgotten. the sooner the better.

original xbox was 2001-2005

gba was 2001-2004

wii u is a far bigger failure than either of those two. 4 year life span makes sense here.

all the big games will get NX ports.

ghibli99

So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?
Very much so. It would have been nice to get something like Galaxy 3 or a new non-remastered Zelda, but I've played it more than any current-gen console.

Parapraxis

lec34XQ.jpg

:(

A record? You recall the Dreamcast? I guess a record for Nintendo if you don't count the Virtual Boy. And then you have the Gameboy Advance, replaced by the DS after only three years (oh wait, it was a third pillar, blah blah blah).

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
To be fair, the devs that haven't got the dev kits and have made a fuss have been ones that have barely touched Nintendo consoles, so why would they get preferential treatment? Big third parties and indies that have been supporting Nintendo would get priority over one that made an Xbox One exclusive and one whose only Nintendo game was a late port with features cut down.

I think there will be lesser big third parties on NX launch than Wii U, and that they have pass on the NX too, because they are scarred by the Wii U. Most major third parties already have numerous titles announced for other platforms. They wont have enough resources to make NX titles.

Broritos

Remember when the four year cycle was the norm? Last gen lasted way too fuckin long.

I would've preferred five years for the Wii U but even then I'm not disappointed. All it's games are ace.

Anth0ny

So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

the library is fucking amazing. better than the wii's.

so yes. bring on the new hotness. hopefully it's not underpowered this time.

I really, honestly hope that they don't try to chase some gimmick. All people want is good games. The best Wii U games had little to nothing to do with the game pad. The Wii crowd was a right time/place deal but they're long gone and not coming back.

All I want are decent specs (on par with PS4/Xbone as to not hold back potential third parties) and good Nintendo games. Wii U backwards compatibility would be nice, but not needed if it's going to gimp the new console.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Third pillar my ass.

The statement that the DS wasn't really a third pillar and the GBA was abandoned right away has always been confusing to me. The DS released in late 2004 in Japan (December) and North America (November), yet look at this release list:

Let's look back and examine what exactly happened after the Game Boy Advance was prematurely replaced in late 2004/early 2005.

These are Nintendo published releases on the GBA from January 2005 and on. The first category includes games that were already released in Japan prior to 2005.

Code:
[B]Late Western releases:[/B]

NES Classics Series: Dr. Mario, Metroid, and Zelda II (EU 2005)
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (NA 2005)
Yoshi's Universal Gravitation/Topsy-Turvy (NA + EU 2005)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (NA + EU, 2005)
WarioWare: Twisted (NA + EU, 2005)

Code:
[B]Late releases:[/B]
Mario Party Advance (2005)
Dynasty Warriors Advance (2005)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (2005, NA + EU only)
DK: King of Swing (2005)
Pokémon Emerald (2005)
Dr. Mario/Puzzle League (2005)
Mario Tennis: Power Tour (2005)
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team 
(2005-2006)

Code:
[B]Japan Only:[/B]
Sennen Kazoku (2005 JP only)
Nonono Puzzle Chalien (2005 JP only)
Bit Generations Series (2006 JP only, 7 individual budget titles)
Rhythm Heaven (2006 JP only)
Mother 3 (2006 JP only)
Eyeshield 21: Devilbats Devildays (2006 JP only)
The Tower SP (2006, Sega published in NA)
Calciobit (2006)

Code:
[B]Japan and North America only:[/B]

Drill Dozer (JP + NA, 2005-2006)

In the below the original Japanese date is disregarded as either Square Enix or Namco published the game in the region. Regardless, only Tales of Phantasia's Japanese GBA release predates 2005.

Code:
[B]Nintendo published third-party games outside Japan 2005-:[/B]

Final Fantasy IV Advance (2005)
Tales of Phantasia (2006)
Polarium Advance (2006) 
Final Fantasy V Advance (2006)
Final Fantasy VI Advance (2007)

How did Nintendo not seriously treat the Game Boy Advance as a third pillar with all of this? Forgive and please correct me if I left out any titles or included any erroneous information. Generally though, the perception that Nintendo abandoned the GBA right away seems to be a myth.

Edit: I think that's all of them now.

That's not comparable to what will happen to the Wii U at all.

TheJoRu

Considering the WiiU emulator is progressing quickly how likely would it be for NX to emulate WiiU software?

What hardware does that Wii U-emulator require? Because I imagine you'd need something quite beefy and high-end. Nintendo will not make such a machine, because it would cost too much to manufacture. Possibly if they offer several SKU:s with different specs, but even then developing a very advanced and complex (= expensive) emulator that would only work on a small subset of your machines wouldn't really be a worthwhile venture.

Backward compatibility for Virtual Console purchases? Maybe.

For games? What, are they going to start making NX GamePads? Or requiring Wii U GamePads to play them, rendering the old consoles almost completely inert?

They will do "Remasters" for the biggest games, if anything. I mean like Super Mario Maker NX, Splatoon GOTY Edition, and Super Smash Bros. 4 Complete.

What hardware does that Wii U-emulator require? Because I imagine you'd need something quite beefy and high-end. Nintendo will not make such a machine, because it would cost too much to manufacture. Possibly if they offer several SKU:s with different specs, but even then developing a very advanced and complex (= expensive) emulator that would only work on a small subset of your machines wouldn't really be a worthwhile venture.

Well depends right?

People who build emulators without documentation tend to program emulators to brute force certain functions right?

So an emulator built from scratch wont be as efficient as an internally developed emulator?

I need an expert here to confirm

Kouriozan

Just checked and I own 22 retail Wii U games (19 exclusives), not counting those I re-sold like Sonic and Rayman.
I'm fine ending with that number, planning to get TMS #FE and Star Fox Zero though.

It should work like the Xbox One because the 360 and WiiU have around the same PPC CPU and a pretty standard GPU.

For games? What, are they going to start making NX GamePads? Or requiring Wii U GamePads to play them, rendering the old consoles almost completely inert?

I don't see why they wouldn't want to get as many of their Wii U customers as possible over to NX while still giving them a healthy library on day one.

Gurish

So long, I personally think it was one of Nintendo's worst consoles, not talking only about sales which is obvious, overall line up quality as well.

Top Bottom