• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei says Nintendo about to unveil its approach to mobile development [Update]

Harlock

We going go change so nohing have to change.

Nintendo could have a more friendly approach to lets play youtubers and get much more attention for much less effort than all this minigames apps.

watershed

Banned
Nintendo should have made an official app a long time ago. I place to watch trailers, get news, play minigames and even buy eshop games that will then automatically download on your system via spotpass.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
chasing after the smartphone users - I imagine target would be teens - who just ignore the fact there's a Nintendo product around ..I don't know, it might work to some extent

Nintendo should have made an official app a long time ago. I place to watch trailers, get news, play minigames and even buy eshop games that will then automatically download on your system via spotpass.

yeh this is all i really want to happen, a proper miiverse smartphone app for existing wiiu & 3ds owners would be nice to add while they are at it.

Mik317

People asking for them to make a phone.....

Why?

Even if it would have buttons and not be nintendo gimped what makes you think that is a good idea?

That is a market that won't welcome a new player and if they partnered with android or Apple, I'd doubt the games would be exclusive.

That is up there with the worst fix nintendo ideas

Feed my curiousity real quick, what kind of ventures (both big and small) would fall under "IP licensing"?

Merchandising. You know, toys, cartoons, cereal, ironic t-shirts, etc. They actually do a lot of that sort of thing, so I wonder if they're going to ramp it way up or, given the "boost copyright business" language," bring some of that stuff in-house.

Personally, I'd like to see some Nintendo Lego sets. Enough of that Mario Kart k'nex shit.

inner-G

Banned
If they half-ass it, they're just wasting money.

Anything less than (some) actual video games is an outrage. I already have an app that plays game videos as soon as they debut... it's called YouTube.

Merchandising. You know, toys, cartoons, cereal, ironic t-shirts, etc. They actually do a lot of that sort of thing, so I wonder if they're going to ramp it way up or, given the "boost copyright business" language," bring some of that stuff in-house.

Personally, I'd like to see some Nintendo Lego sets. Enough of that Mario Kart k'nex shit.
Interesting. Mario and Zelda anime incoming?

sphagnum

Banned
Interesting. Mario and Zelda anime incoming?

I've suggested this before. I have no idea why they don't extend their IPs to further media. Pokemon is so obviously successful as a toy/tv series/movie series behemoth that I was always confused that they never tried to give Zelda at the very least a larger push.

Kirby and Donkey Kong had some lackluster shows, but they have some series that have a real potential, like Zelda, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Star Fox...

edit: forgot that F-Zero had a show. Why did they keep letting their B-tier franchises get shows?!

Star Fox, Fire Emblem, and Custom Robo seem like series that would work very well as morning cartoons for a network like CN or Disney's XD network.

Oh man, Star Fox could work really well. I'd also like to see a new take on Mario as a cartoon. Something similar to Adventure Time.

I would say Zelda, but I'm really cautious about that considering that Link is usually considered strictly an avatar rather than a character.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've suggested this before. I have no idea why they don't extend their IPs to further media. Pokemon is so obviously successful as a toy/tv series/movie series behemoth that I was always confused that they never tried to give Zelda at the very least a larger push.

Kirby and Donkey Kong had some lackluster shows, but they have some series that have a real potential, like Zelda, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Star Fox...

edit: forgot that F-Zero had a show. Why did they keep letting their B-tier franchises get shows?!
Well there was a Zelda cartoon, of course.

Oh man, Star Fox could work really well.

I'd want something semi-sophisticated there.... not ultra-serious but if the tone was something like Clone Wars I'd dig it. But with cartoon animals I forsee the potential for it to go badly.... it could make for the silliest of young kids shows.

I'd want something semi-sophisticated there.... not ultra-serious but if the tone was something like Clone Wars I'd dig it. But with cartoon animals I forsee the potential for it to go badly.... it could make for the silliest of young kids shows.

I would too. Obviously, any series can turn out crap if they don't get the right studios. Sadly that has happened more times than not with Nintendo shows.

Thinking about it more, Star Fox would probably be a better fit with an Anime studio.

Sandfox

I'm guessing this is the sort of thing Nintendo plans to do to improve their cash flow while they work on more long term moves like their next device or something and depending on how they handle these plans it could work out pretty decent for them.

NolbertoS

Can't believe I read through all those posts. I think too many Nintendo fans are Wayyyyyyyyyyyy over-reacting on Nintendo being mobile. Iwata has stated he'll test the waters on mobile with Nintendo news and ads, like Sony and MS tend to do. 3Ds sales can support Nintendo till the end of time, so I don't get "the sky is falling" that alot of people still claim about Nintendo. Nintendo will learn from mobile and probably release an Iphone competitor, if the gaming market is going that direction. Hey Blackberry is cheap, so they could partnet with them on a Nintendo phone or Google Android. Its only a matter of time till Nintendo will have to get its fingers in many pies to keep evolving with the gaming market. The videogame industry isn't static

Sandfox

Can't believe I read through all those posts. I think too many Nintendo fans are Wayyyyyyyyyyyy over-reacting on Nintendo being mobile. Iwata has stated he'll test the waters on mobile with Nintendo news and ads, like Sony and MS tend to do. 3Ds sales can support Nintendo till the end of time, so I don't get "the sky is falling" that alot of people still claim about Nintendo. Nintendo will learn from mobile and probably release an Iphone competitor, if the gaming market is going that direction. Hey Blackberry is cheap, so they could partnet with them on a Nintendo phone or Google Android. Its only a matter of time till Nintendo will have to get its fingers in many pies to keep evolving with the gaming market. The videogame industry isn't static

I really don't see why Nintendo would want to jump into the smartphone market and I think its a bad idea for any company to make a phone with gaming as one of their major focuses.

Exokell

Banned
are nintendo fans committing mass suicide? cant believe Ive read them post "nintendo would rather die than go mobile/3rd party"

Theyre a business with shareholders, not some magical entity.

Scum

6-part Wonderful 101 Anime OVA.

joedick

Merchandise. Movies. Books. Comics. Shows.

I can't walk five feet in a department store without seeing Mario's face splashed across something. I find it hard to believe they've been selective until now.

Maybe Nintendo should just make a console without some gimmicky fucking fuckshit. I bet it would actually sell.

You're right, let's have three consoles that all do the same thing. That worked wonders for the Gamecube.

sphagnum

Banned
Maybe Nintendo should just make a console without some gimmicky fucking fuckshit. I bet it would actually sell.

Some gimmicks sell, some don't.

Things that sold: Wii, Kinect, DS.
Things that didn't sell: Virtual Boy, Wii U, PSP Go.

When will people understand this? "Gimmicks" do not inherently help or hinder a product.

Riki

I can't walk five feet in a department store without seeing Mario's face splashed across something. I find it hard to believe they've been selective until now.

You're right, let's have three consoles that all do the same thing. That worked wonders for the Gamecube.
The problem is what they merchandise, not that they don't. Mario toys really only exist as Mario Kart. No other franchise is represented. Their adult line is very limited.
They need to take a page out of Halo's and Minecraft's books om merchandise.
They also lack any real Nintendo media. There's no show. No movies. No comics and books. There's so so much more they could be doing that every other big franchise does.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nintendo investors are not taking Nikkei's report too kindly.

Nintendo stock taking a beating -3.5%. In the past five days, Nintendo stock has declined 11%.

Investors meeting can't come soon enough.

Edit: IP licensing is indeed an avenue Nintendo needs to jump-in. If Hello Kitty can generate revenues of over 800 million, than Mario & Company can do similarly.

Some gimmicks sell, some don't.

When will people understand this? "Gimmicks" do not inherently help or hinder a product.

Yes. I was going to say.

It seems motion controls are much easier for developers to accept. Not only that, but when Nintendo showed the concept for the Wii they actually had solid design ideas for games. The Wii U only showed a few kind of neat but not fully fleshed out ideas.

Wii U can be great for some developers, but not everybody is going to be able to use the device in their game. It's kind of a stiff device. It does so many things, but they don't really go hand in hand. It isn't as intuitive as it should be. You can have the player use the small screen and the TV, you can have them use the motion, or you can have them touch things on the screen. That doesn't just fall flawlessly into every game design. Sure, you can have them use one of those ideas, like off screen play, but then the device seems like overkill for what it's doing. It would have been much better off as an accessory because of that.

With motion control, the player does one thing: they move. They don't have to look at another screen, they just move. It's a lot easier to work that concept into a game.

I think just a Vita-like handheld with 2 analog sliders and a modest screen and a basic motion sensor would be a real treat and affordable to produce, as long as the horsepower was kept in check (i.e., not-quite-Vita).

As for the mobile demos and videos? I think they're a great idea. They better put them on both Android and iOS, though, not just one or the other.

cafemomo

are nintendo fans committing mass suicide? cant believe Ive read them post "nintendo would rather die than go mobile/3rd party"

Theyre a business with shareholders, not some magical entity.

I think what they meant was Nintendo putting full blown games on mobile/other consoles

DarkWish

Is the investor briefing or something going on right now? Cause @gibbogame (the analyst guy) is tweeting stuff...

Iwata-"if our platforms are connected to other open platforms in some way and, when you are out, your smartphone gives you information.."

"from your friend like,"Let's play with this game tonight," or "I broke your record on this game," you will be motivated to start a new game

EDIT: Nevermind! He tweeted those without context, and just now said those were quotes from July 2011. My bad.

matt360

Mario Paint on iPad with a full-featured Mario Paint Composer. Make it so that you can play your music from the Music app for easier editing of your favorite songs. That bug smashing game would also work well on iPad.

Mario Party Mobile could also be fun.

Nintendo investors are not taking Nikkei's report too kindly.

Nintendo stock taking a beating -3.5%. In the past five days, Nintendo stock has declined 11%.

Investors meeting can't come soon enough.

Edit: IP licensing is indeed an avenue Nintendo needs to jump-in. If Hello Kitty can generate revenues of over 800 million, than Mario & Company can do similarly.

That's not surprising in the slightest. If he's still in office, I wonder how many shareholder votes Iwata will get at the next General Meeting of the Shareholders in June. He was re-elected with 77% approval last June (down from 90% in 2012 and 95+% in years past).

Perhaps the more institutional investors will continue to support him despite his insistence on incremental steps.

That's not surprising in the slightest. If he's still in office, I wonder how many shareholder votes Iwata will get at the next General Meeting of the Shareholders in June. He was re-elected with 77% approval last June (down from 90% in 2012 and 95+% in years past).

Perhaps the more institutional investors will continue to support him despite his insistence on incremental steps.

What do you think about the report?

Laieon

Oh man, Star Fox could work really well. I'd also like to see a new take on Mario as a cartoon. Something similar to Adventure Time.

I would say Zelda, but I'm really cautious about that considering that Link is usually considered strictly an avatar rather than a character.

I could see Zelda working as a Samurai Jack-esque cartoon.
Someone mentioned a FE cartoon, I'd love that.

From the sound of it, this app sounds appsolutely pointless and I don't see it changing much.

Afrodium

Banned
If Nintndo thinks that an app that allows people to view ads for Nintndo products is going to turn their sales around then I don't even know what to say. I love the company, but if this ends up being their big plan to turn things around then I've lost all faith that they can compete in today's market.

I hope they have a lot more up their sleeve, but I've been shocked by their ineptitude in the past. I wouldn't put it past them.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Nintendo stock has entered the oversold area and will continue to plummet going forward until a new strategy is evoked on the 30th. I fear if a strategy is not conveyed or communicated shortly, the stock will take further beating. In addition, Goldman Sachs recently downgraded Nintendo's stock from ''hold'' to ''sell''.

I do hope the Nikkei report is correct in regards to IP licensing as there is so much that can be done. Like mentioned previously, if Sanrio can generate over 800 million of revenue through Hello Kitty annually, Nintendo can atleast meet such targets.

Indirectly holding over 20% of the company through Yamauchi and treasury stock does help Iwata most certainly; however, investors are not going to swallow the ''please understand'' moto as Nintendo has no reason to post such horrid results (yen is in their favor, etc.).

You still holding 7974 Aqua?

Top Bottom