• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory Boss Says Project Dreadnought Might Redefine Entertainment

CyberPanda

Banned
Ninja Theory Boss Says Project Dreadnought Might Redefine Entertainment
By Alessio Palumbo / 6 hours ago
Ninja Theory Founder and Chief Design Director Tameem Antoniades was recently featured in an interview with GQ Magazine, where Antoniades briefly talked about the mysterious Project Dreadnought as something that has the potential to 'redefine entertainment'.
It is going to redefine what entertainment, or even reality, is. It will be a new medium, probably the last new medium, because you can’t get any closer to reality.
I’ll do that, then I’ll probably quit.
An incredibly ambitious vision, for sure, and one which Ninja Theory envisions to take place in a Virtual Reality environment - which proves Microsoft is not necessarily against VR.
Project: Mara Announced by Ninja Theory, Will Focus on “Grounded Mental Terror”
In the meantime, though, Ninja Theory is also working alongside the University of Cambridge on The Insight Project, a sort of stepping stone focused on delivering a potential treatment solution for mental health issues.
The idea is to get as close to reality as possible, to create an environment that works the same way a real environment works and looks utterly, utterly real. It’s one area where I think we are world leaders. We can spend millions of pounds on it and create the best assets, beyond anything researchers have ever seen.
Antoniades sold Ninja Theory to Microsoft in 2018 (despite initially saying no, it turns out) for an undisclosed amount, therefore securing his future and the studio's, too. No doubt the acclaimed Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice had a lot to do with Microsoft's decision to purchase the Cambridge-based studio, and Antoniades recalls what it was like developing Hellblade.
I was pretty much ready to give up, but I thought I’d give it one more stab. So I took a small team aside and made Hellblade.
I suppressed all emotion during the making of the game. It had felt like such an exhausting project to work on. But also it really hit home that it wasn’t just Senua, the character, it was a culmination of all of these people’s input, their life experiences. That was just sad.
Ninja Theory is now working on Senua's Saga: Hellblade II, in development for the Xbox Series X and Windows PC. They're also finishing up the online melee brawler game Bleeding Edge, due to launch March 24th on Xbox One and Windows PC.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The last new storytelling medium... oh god, they're gonna release a fuckin brain chip that'll enable us to experience an entire lifetime in mere moments. Oh, but I dare not trust such invasive tech...

It is going to redefine what entertainment, or even reality, is. It will be a new medium, probably the last new medium, because you can’t get any closer to reality.
F5XbAwL.jpg

splattered

Interesting because I thought Aaron Greenberg said it is coming to Xbox in a twitter reply... and if this virtual reality... welp. (!)

Last edited:

Banned
Interesting because I thought Aaron Greenberg said it is coming to Xbox in a twitter reply... and if this virtual reality... welp. (!)

as I said before... it would be more than easy to make a partnership deal with Oculus and make the Rift S and Quest compatible with the Series X.

you could make a small pass through box similar to the PSVR box and that way it would connect.

both the Rift S and the Quest don't need any external sensors and are therefore very easy to set up, just a single cable that goes from the back of the console/the connection box to your headset.

with mainstream VR headsets getting cheaper and finding their way into more and more households, it makes sense to just make one of them compatible with your system, especially the Oculus Quest since that is standalone and the install base is growing, so the chance of people already owning one is highe than with any other PC/standalone headset out there

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
This is why i generally avoid reading interviews by Western developers. Unlike Japanese developers (with a few exceptions like Kojima) they are all extremelly arrogant. It only takes one commercial/critical hit and they suddenly talk and behave like idiots.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Trying way too hard Tameem. Way. Too. Hard.

NT has always had awesome art direction and generally strong visual design. But beyond that... not exactly a creative powerhouse.Their current output, more Senua and an arena shooter are hardly pushing the boat out in terms of imagination, so excuse my skepticism that they have something industry shaking in their back-pocket.

So these guys are working on four projects ATM? Welp, they certainly stay busy, that's commendable.

And I'm always down for new gaming experiences so I wish them the best of luck with what they want to do. Already got me very interested with Project:Mara in any case.

Psajdak

Banned
From now on, the only thing games can do is only look, and sound better.

There is only so much one can do with the form of entertainment based on pushing buttons to see what happens on the screen.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'd feel more confident if they just put everyone on Hellblade 2 with a small incubation team to work on preproduction Project Mara and those were the only 2 games in development from NT

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'm not sure interviews like this hype up anybody nowadays except out-of-touch marketing executives.

GymWolf

Wait, so they are making hellblade 2, the game about crazy shit and this project dreadnought?

How many guys are on the team?

This statement sound like something kojima could say...

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Tameem doesn't know how to shut up.
Well his team make great games and I deeply appreciate, that they are creating games about mental disease, since I have GAD. HOWEVER, since whey were bought by MS, it seems like everyday Tameem has to say something.

By the way what kind of nationality is he? "Tameem Antoniades" does not sounds English and does not sound like anything I ever come across...

So much grandiose bullshit.
I love NT's games and enjoyed the Hellblade experience on many different levels... but let's also be honest here : that entire mental-health train they're riding now is just a huge marketing gimmick, a gigantic appeal-to-emotion campaign to coddle the most receptive and vulnerable among their players - and God knows they're many.
They won't treat shit. They need to catch, feed and milk those whales, definitely not release'em.

But hey, I'm ready to eat crows, and in that case I'll gladly wait for Microsoft-NT's future ventures to redefine entertainment, especially for Project Dreadrings - which is said to treat hemorrhoids.
Because you can’t get any closer to reality. You'll do that, then you’ll probably quit.

Aidah

By the way what kind of nationality is he? "Tameem Antoniades" does not sounds English and does not sound like anything I ever come across...

Tameem is an arab name, although he isn't arab, he was born in Afghanistan and moved to London when he was 2 apparently. Antoniades is Greek, and he got that from his step father.

HeresJohnny

I get especially concerned anytime anyone uses the term "redefine" for something that I already enjoy and find nothing wrong with.

xool

This is why i generally avoid reading interviews by Western developers. Unlike Japanese developers (with a few exceptions like Kojima) they are all extremelly arrogant. It only takes one commercial/critical hit and they suddenly talk and behave like idiots.

In fairness Ninja Theory have never had a hit, and their boss has always been full of shit.

xool

Tameem is an arab name, although he isn't arab, he was born in Afghanistan and moved to London when he was 2 apparently. Antoniades is Greek, and he got that from his step father.
Interesting, I knew Antioniades was a greek name but I always thought he looked Persian not greek ..

Javthusiast

Banned
How about you actually redefine something first and then talk about how you did it etc. instead of bragging years in advance about something that could be nothing.

Animagic

Banned
It’s going to be a cinematic moody edgy unreal engine game.

groundbreaking. Truly something we’ve never seen before 🙄

trikster40

Let’s see, how many things in the past have sought to “redefine” things:

Avatar was supposed to redefine 3D, how movies were made, etc

Haze was supposed to redefine FPS.

it’s the old adage “There’s nothing new under the sun”. This isn’t anything groundbreaking or something we haven’t seen before, it’s just pure drivel from someone who thinks their next thing is going to be THE thing.

Guarantee you every person thinks the same thing about their creations at some point.

Some actually do it, so there’s always a possibility.

Last edited:

cireza

It's because of developers who redefine stuff all the time that the public gets confused. Stop this already.

Or redefine what a good game is put it back to what it meant 25 years ago, that would be useful.

Last edited:

Leprech

I appreciate the motivation BUT i do have to roll my eyes that all the "muh redefining genres/entertainment/vidja" mostly come from devs that are not known for having good snappy gameplay lol Maybe work on that first instead of pretending you are high art in the vidja sphere when in reality you are uwe boll

Last edited:

Breakage

Yea. Good thing Sony doesn’t label their upcoming products or services that way.

h9rSFBj.png
So you provide one PS-related example compared to Microsoft's Project Scorpio, Project Scarlett, Project Natal, Project xCloud, and now Project Mara, and Project Dreadnought. It's noticeable.

Top Bottom