• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nino Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch global shipments hit 1.1 million

I would have preferred a localization of the DS version, but in any case it's nice to see the game sell well.

Isn't that kind of a good thing if you look at it a certain perspective though? It shows that there's still demand for this sort of thing in the West, so whilst Japanese consumers may ignore a product, us filthy gaijin can pick up the slack. It could end up convincing Japanese publishers to localise their shit more often.
Sales were probably cannibalized by the DS version, which apparently sold 600k in Japan alone.

Ostinatto

Yeah it's extremely charming and as a Studio Ghibli fan it was a joy to experience the world and animated scenery BUT the gameplay is a bit boring and tedious sometimes.

i'm about to start watching Porco Rosso...

i bought two copies of Nino Kuni, great game. glad is doing well.

zeopower6

Isn't that kind of a good thing if you look at it a certain perspective though? It shows that there's still demand for this sort of thing in the West, so whilst Japanese consumers may ignore a product, us filthy gaijin can pick up the slack. It could end up convincing Japanese publishers to localise their shit more often.

It is a good thing for sure! It's just sort of sad that it never really got much recognition until it left its home shores. =_=

This release was a bit of a huge gamble I think, since JRPGs are not known to do well at all if they do not have DQ or FF in the name but I'm glad it paid off.

Dark_castle

I'll play devil's advocate and say, hope they don't make a Ni No Kuni 2.

I much prefer to see Dark Cloud 3 or Rogue Galaxy 2 or Dragon Quest XI instead.

zeopower6

I would have preferred a localization of the DS version, but in any case it's nice to see the game sell well.

Sales were probably cannibalized by the DS version, which apparently sold 600k in Japan alone.

0o8C3jD.jpg

Main reason for not localizing it, I think. The standard edition is just waaaay too big. (and requires a freaking book for every copy)

And I think the main reason for that was that the DS version ended up selling so much is that it sort of ended up on sale very quickly and was a bit of a bargain compared to the MSRP. (like 1200-2000yen instead of 6800yen) It ended up selling out of its initial shipment of 600k as we see in the PS3+DS numbers but that was it.

I think most were pretty surprised that it didn't do as well as it could have, but most new Level-5 properties seem to have issues gaining traction :/

I'll play devil's advocate and say, hope they don't make a Ni No Kuni 2.

I much prefer to see Dark Cloud 3 or Rogue Galaxy 2 or Dragon Quest XI instead.

Well, they actually control whether or not NnK happens. Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy are owned by Sony and Dragon Quest is owned by Square. They'll determine if they ever happen. And even if they do they don't necessarily have to use L5 to develop them. DQX is proof of that. That was developed internally at Square.

It is a good thing for sure! It's just sort of sad that it never really got much recognition until it left its home shores. =_=

This release was a bit of a huge gamble I think, since JRPGs are not known to do well at all if they do not have DQ or FF in the name but I'm glad it paid off.

Now when Level5 release Ni no Kuni 2 for the PS4, they'll prioritise localisation over releasing it in Japan. ;)

Szadek

A sequel (with different characters and maybe a dfferent world) or spiritual successor would be great.
They just need to improve the battlesystem,or a new one.

What's more depressing is that it barely made it to 100k~ in Japan. :( So the numbers are like 1 million sold in the West and 100k+ish in Japan.

Really? Surely that would prove to publishers that we do still care about JRPGs in the west, but we want quality ones without moronic plots and characters.

I wonder what the budget for this was like. A lot of Japanese developers seem to be a able to profit on 1-2 million sales, while western publishers are not interested in anything that sells less than 5 million units. In the first month.

Sean*O

Amazing game. Can't wait for 2 on PS4 and would also buy a 1080p version of 1 if they released one for PS4. Game was a work of art.

HeelPower

What's more depressing is that it barely made it to 100k~ in Japan. :( So the numbers are like 1 million sold in the West and 100k+ish in Japan.

What's depressing is that Lightning Returns sold way more than Ni No Kuni, a game that rivals main line FF glory.

Szadek

I wonder what the budget for this was like. A lot of Japanese developers seem to be a able to profit on 1-2 million sales, while western publishers are not interested in anything that sells less than 5 million units. In the first month.
I belive Level 5 already made a very postive statment about the sales a while ago

reminder

One of my favourite RPG's ever. I don't play many RPG's, but there are some which i really love. Ni no Kuni on PS3 is one of them.

0o8C3jD.jpg

Main reason for not localizing it, I think. The standard edition is just waaaay too big. (and requires a freaking book for every copy)

And I think the main reason for that was that the DS version ended up selling so much is that it sort of ended up on sale very quickly and was a bit of a bargain compared to the MSRP. (like 1200-2000yen instead of 6800yen) It ended up selling out of its initial shipment of 600k as we see in the PS3+DS numbers but that was it.

I think most were pretty surprised that it didn't do as well as it could have, but most new Level-5 properties seem to have issues gaining traction :/

The time it would have taken to translate the game, it would have been released on a dead console.

In any case, the DS version seemed to do well in its first week. 170k copies sold kind of well. Was the drop in sales so large that retailers were forced to liquidate their stock?

i'm glad it was made. a real beauty in the audio and visual department. overworlds like these are a rare sight in present times. what a shame, i'd love to get more of them again. partner ai needed more work.

and don't be afraid to make turn based battles. we know you want to.

A sequel (with different characters and maybe a dfferent world) or spiritual successor would be great.
They just need to improve the battlesystem,or a new one.

Hino mentioned in the past that he'd like to tell a story in the world with adult in the main role. I think it could be possible that they'd set a game during the Wizard Wars.

Bladenic

Loved the game so happy it sold well. Would love a sequel, though even better I'd love another L5/Ghibli collab with a new world and perhaps a Ghibli written story.

Ganondolf

I could not get on with this game but the PS3 version I played was made very nice which makes me think the sales of 1.1m is not that good (from a financial point of view) when they have made a DS & PS3 game.

I also think a lot of the sales were at reduced price (I think it was free or very cheep on PSN at one point too).

Varth

This PR seems so random to me that I take that as a clear sign that they're going to reveal the strongly rumoured sequel soon. Dunno if Namco is still doing their Gamer's Day spring thing, but I would totally expect the reveal being made for the western audience.

bobone

Loved Ni No Kuni, the PS3 game was my personal game of the year last year.
Really hoping for a sequel on PS4 or 3DS with more Ghibli animated cutscenes.

Im aloud to dream right?

Raw64life

Not going to delude myself into thinking a sequel is possible but man that would be awesome. The world needs more games like this.

Begaria

I freakin' love Ni no Kuni, but even I will agree with some of the dissenters about the battle system, even if I came up with a bunch of tricks to get around some of the AI problems. I'm a big Level-5 fanboy though, and a minor Ghibli fanboy, so I felt right at home with NNK. A sequel would hopefully fix some of the problems people had with the game mechanics in NNK. Also, didn't Thuway hint that a NNK2 was on the way back in November?

http://gearnuke.com/rumor-ni-kuni-2-reportedly-developed-playstation-4/

Thuway, my parrot pal, please do not be wrong!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've never seen an AAA game's price on PSN collapse as fast or as frequently as this game. And even then it barely made it past the million mark. It's depressing to even think about how little money it made back.

Jonboy

Really wish I had the time to play it. Played the first couple of hours and then got pulled into other things.

The graphics and art style are just drop-dead gorgeous though.

Wizard's Edition here. It was an OK game. The characters were endearing and it was pretty. The gameplay wasn't up to snuff though. There was no reason for some stuff to be as luck dependent as it was and it was irritating only being able to carry 1 of each emotion at a time. AI partners were really frustrating. I remember soloing bosses because they would walk into mines/AoE attacks and die.

Battle system was terrible and I hope they don't even bother revisiting it and just start fresh if they make a sequel. I'd rather they just make a whole new world with new characters too. They could call it San no Kuni if they really want to tie to Ni no Kuni somehow. It's nice to see that it sold a lot though I wonder if they made a profit. I like Level-5 so I'd hate to see them lose money on this.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I would love another game like this on the PS4. Not a NNK sequel though (I feel like that story is done, although I guess they could tell a new one set in the same universe), but a brand new collaboration between these companies.

oti

Banned
Wizard's Edition here. It was an OK game. The characters were endearing and it was pretty. The gameplay wasn't up to snuff though. There was no reason for some stuff to be as luck dependent as it was and it was irritating only being able to carry 1 of each emotion at a time. AI partners were really frustrating. I remember soloing bosses because they would walk into mines/AoE attacks and die.

Battle system was terrible and I hope they don't even bother revisiting it and just start fresh if they make a sequel. I'd rather they just make a whole new world with new characters too. They could call it San no Kuni if they really want to tie to Ni no Kuni somehow. It's nice to see that it sold a lot though I wonder if they made a profit. I like Level-5 so I'd hate to see them lose money on this.

I also bought the LE, played through the game and sold it (even making some profit).

"San no Kuni"? Is everything made out of threes?

nampad

Did my part and bought it discounted on PSN even when I didn't own a PS3. Have yet to play it, wished I could use Remote Play :/
Hope the sales are enough to encourage other Ghibli cooperations.

RPGCrazied

Loved the game. It was like going back in time to the PS2 era of jRPG's. I wish it had just a smidge more voice acting, cause I thought it was fantastic.

Top Bottom