• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nino Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch global shipments hit 1.1 million

These games are nothing like each other.

WKC is basically a MMO. Bad graphics, horrible story.

L5-20-Announce.jpg

zeopower6

Were there cutscenes in both versions? Thanks for the info!

I think so... they probably should have had the same cutscenes for both games unless for some reason the DS version skipped out on some of them for whatever reason.

Negative Nancies... >(

ronito

I'm glad that they've sold as much as they have. Hopefully they'll make #2 and not make it so damned tedious.

zeopower6

I'm glad that they've sold as much as they have. Hopefully they'll make #2 and not make it so damned tedious.

If they really do go with an adult protagonist, I think it'll probably be a bit less so, lol. I think it'll probably be less of an attempt at a "first RPG" as well. I'm hoping if they keep Familiars that there's a way to catch them 100% of the time, or near that. It took me like 10-20 additional hours of just going around catching them. :(

FUKUOKA, JAPAN (March 7, 2014) - LEVEL-5, Inc. has announced that shipments of the PlayStation®3 game Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch have surpassed 1.1 million units worldwide.

The American and European versions of Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch have maintained strong sales figures since their release in January 2013 by NAMCO BANDAI Games. Shipments of the game have exceeded 1.1 million units worldwide, including sales of the download version through the PlayStation Network. The Ni no Kuni franchise, which includes both PlayStation 3 and Nintendo DS® games, has now shipped 1.7 million units total.

In addition to its sales success, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch has achieved critical acclaim, winning over 60 awards from various media outlets and academies, including IGN’s Best Overall RPG award and the Spike VGX award for Best RPG. It has also been listed as one of Amazon’s “Best of 2013” in the Video Games category.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, is an epic tale of a boy named Oliver, travelling between two worlds on a quest to save his mother, developed by the critically acclaimed Japanese development studio, LEVEL-5. The game features animations produced and cut-scenes supervised by the legendary Japanese animation company, Studio Ghibli, and music by the world-renowned Joe Hisaishi.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is available now; exclusively for the PlayStation 3 system with both English and Japanese voiceovers included. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is available for purchase at video game retailers nationwide or via download on the PlayStation Network. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch carries an ESRB rating of ”E10+” for Everyone 10+. For more information about Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, please visit: http://www.namcobandaigames.com, http://facebook.com/namco and http://www.ninokunigame.com.

I can see them announcing 2 million at the next Level-5 Vision if sales continue.

And really, what other console JRPGs deserved to sell more? :/

maxcriden

I think so... they probably should have had the same cutscenes for both games unless for some reason the DS version skipped out on some of them for whatever reason.

Negative Nancies... >(

That's pretty neat. Maybe they'll decide to localize it at some point. Thanks for the info!

Busaiku

o.0 Crazy.

It's not the worst game I played in the last few years.
However, I got the Wizard's Edition, hoping for a strong game, but it was mediocre for the most part.

So it's definitely the worst purchase (something like $150 with shipping and everything).

DJ_Lae

I'm one of those, bought into the hype and the game's aesthetic at launch.

I still feel ripped off. The game had so much potential and I gave it the benefit of the doubt but it was just another Level-5 RPG shitfest with a glossy coat of Ghibli paint.

topplehat

Good for them, I loved the style and how the game looked but just could not get into it. The gameplay itself was rather bland.

That reminds me, I need to finish WKC2, never did get to do any of the online stuff and barely used it in the first game. Enjoyed the hell out of Ni No Kuni despite its flaws and personally I always think SE should be embarrassed when another RPG comes along and does the over world exploration/travel that SE abandoned with FFX.

That said, NNK's combat system was weak and the AI horrendous to the point of being near useless "meat shields" both would need to be redone if there's a sequel, what was with Level-5 last generation and shitty combat systems?

Cassovia

Congratulations!

As a fan of Ghibli movies I can only hope they release something similar on PS4. If they do it right, early on console life, when people are starving for good JRPG, they could sell even more than 1.1 million.

Recently there was a budget re-release in EU, so hopefully this number will be even bigger.

Begaria

I tend to see people call this game a piece of garbage strictly due to the combat and how the AI works in it. The combat is much, MUCH better if you set everyone to use no abilities and just micromanage every familiar and use the abilities yourself. The AI tends to bring out the very first familiar on their list, so just put your beefiest or tankiest physical familiars in the first two spots, and then perhaps a magical familiar in the back. If you're not abusing the hell out of L1 and familiar switching during combat, and trying to let the AI do anything, you're playing the game so wrong.

Also, "gameplay" is more than just the combat system. What about the quests? Swift Solutions is an elegant way to place all of your quests in one place. The questing and merit system was quite rewarding, and if you could get into the world building and NPCs of the game, you'll find an eccentric cast of characters. Sure, roughly half of the quests are based completely around the Emotions/Lockets, and some call it nothing more than glorified fetch quests, but the way in which it all ties into the narrative of the game with Oliver being the Pure Hearted one, being a Wizard, and just being able to mash the accept button to get to what you need made the whole thing harmless. The hunts in the game I equate to FFXII's hunt system. There were items to find and make from alchemy for some NPCs as well. The only truly awful quests in the game where the "catch these particular familiars" due to the low catch rate.

I've never seen a world map as explorable as the one in Ni no Kuni. You've got hidden items everywhere, you've got hidden areas everywhere, you've got hidden items within those hidden arreas on top of quest givers and NPCs to talk to. There's even a little monster den you can check out in the corner of the world. There are a ton of resource points to check out, and even places you don't ever have to go to but are there to accentuate the world (and they have hidden items/resource points). Seriously, once you get that boat, almost the entire world opens up to you, and if you know what you're doing, can make yourself extremely powerful just by finding hidden items. Once you get the Dragon, forget about it! Best world map ever.

Speaking of making yourself extremely powerful - Alchemy. This is Level-5's best take on their Alchemy system. You've got the Wizard's Companion that shows you a good amount of the recipes (including items and where to find them). Sure you can get through the game just fine with store bought equipment, but you'll save a ton of money and get even better items and equipment if you actual divulge yourself into the Alchemy system.

Say what you will about the actual overarching story of NNK, but you cannot convince me this game doesn't have some of the best world building in any game ever. The Wizard's Companion alone trumps nearly everything I've experienced in terms of world building from any other game. It has stories, loads of info on items and familiars, lore, and even an alphabet that you can use to manually translate things.

"Bland" gameplay my ass. Go ahead and hate the combat system, if that's all there is to a RPG for you, you're clearly missing out on a lot of things that make this game great.

Shit. I ranted about Ni no Kuni again. Sorry everyone! I'll try some brevity next time.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I tend to see people call this game a piece of garbage strictly due to the combat and how the AI works in it. The combat is much, MUCH better if you set everyone to use no abilities and just micromanage every familiar and use the abilities yourself. The AI tends to bring out the very first familiar on their list, so just put your beefiest or tankiest physical familiars in the first two spots, and then perhaps a magical familiar in the back. If you're not abusing the hell out of L1 and familiar switching during combat, and trying to let the AI do anything, you're playing the game so wrong.

Also, "gameplay" is more than just the combat system. What about the quests? Swift Solutions is an elegant way to place all of your quests in one place. The questing and merit system was quite rewarding, and if you could get into the world building and NPCs of the game, you'll find an eccentric cast of characters. Sure, roughly half of the quests are based completely around the Emotions/Lockets, and some call it nothing more than glorified fetch quests, but the way in which it all ties into the narrative of the game with Oliver being the Pure Hearted one, being a Wizard, and just being able to mash the accept button to get to what you need made the whole thing harmless. The hunts in the game I equate to FFXII's hunt system. There were items to find and make from alchemy for some NPCs as well. The only truly awful quests in the game where the "catch these particular familiars" due to the low catch rate.

I've never seen a world map as explorable as the one in Ni no Kuni. You've got hidden items everywhere, you've got hidden areas everywhere, you've got hidden items within those hidden arreas on top of quest givers and NPCs to talk to. There's even a little monster den you can check out in the corner of the world. There are a ton of resource points to check out, and even places you don't ever have to go to but are there to accentuate the world (and they have hidden items/resource points). Seriously, once you get that boat, almost the entire world opens up to you, and if you know what you're doing, can make yourself extremely powerful just by finding hidden items. Once you get the Dragon, forget about it! Best world map ever.

Speaking of making yourself extremely powerful - Alchemy. This is Level-5's best take on their Alchemy system. You've got the Wizard's Companion that shows you a good amount of the recipes (including items and where to find them). Sure you can get through the game just fine with store bought equipment, but you'll save a ton of money and get even better items and equipment if you actual divulge yourself into the Alchemy system.

Say what you will about the actual overarching story of NNK, but you cannot convince me this game doesn't have some of the best world building in any game ever. The Wizard's Companion alone trumps nearly everything I've experienced in terms of world building from any other game. It has stories, loads of info on items and familiars, lore, and even an alphabet that you can use to manually translate things.

"Bland" gameplay my ass. Go ahead and hate the combat system, if that's all there is to a RPG for you, you're clearly missing out on a lot of things that make this game great.

Shit. I ranted about Ni no Kuni again. Sorry everyone! I'll try some brevity next time.

Preach on, brother.
Great post.

zeopower6

Congratulations!

As a fan of Ghibli movies I can only hope they release something similar on PS4. If they do it right, early on console life, when people are starving for good JRPG, they could sell even more than 1.1 million.

Recently there was a budget re-release in EU, so hopefully this number will be even bigger.

I think after seeing how well it did overseas, they'll probably market it a bit more and make it a bit of a headline title.

Fingers crossed that it does just as well if not better especially with the PS4 doing so well.

I don't think PS4/One exclusive is a good idea for a niche game,but cross gen sounds like a great idea.

Well, this game was PS3 only (at least in this form since the DS Ni no Kuni was a completely different game outside of the story arcs) and did pretty well. :/

Begaria

If they did do a sequel, I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly older Oliver. Either in his late teens or early adulthood. I have no idea what they could do with the story. Maybe he crosses over into a different world (since he clearly does post game...uh...spoilers) and take on that world's villain? They certainly need to tune the battle system to either be a true turn based system, or make the AI comparable to a Tales game with the ton of customization those games offer. Either one would be fine with me.

zeopower6

If they did do a sequel, I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly older Oliver. Either in his late teens or early adulthood. I have no idea what they could do with the story. Maybe he crosses over into a different world (since he clearly does post game...uh...spoilers) and take on that world's villain? They certainly need to tune the battle system to either be a true turn based system, or make the AI comparable to a Tales game with the ton of customization those games offer. Either one would be fine with me.

The murmurs of a sequel for PS4 from the last year or so and this comment from Akihiro Hino make me think that they will create it in a similar universe but Oliver will probably not be central to the story... or maybe he'll help the new character in an older form?

From October 2012:
Would you consider collaborating with Studio Ghibli on another video game in the future? Any chance we’d see a sequel to Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch?

Right now we don’t have any plans for a sequel or another collaboration. But if we were to create a sequel, I would actually like to make a different Ni No Kuni world where the main character is an adult.

Begaria

Man, actually, what am I talking about? Forget Oliver. A sequel has to have Drippy in it! The main reason I'd want Oliver to be the protagonist again is just to have Drippy calling him a cry baby bunting again, heh.

Szadek

Well, this game was PS3 only (at least in this form since the DS Ni no Kuni was a completely different game outside of the story arcs) and did pretty well. :/
Right now the PS3 is the JRPG console.If you are a fan of the genre you probably have one,something you can't say for the current gen machines.

jiggle

Namco should fund Ni No Kuni Ni

I wonder if namco had any competitions over this title
900k would've been huge for someone like aksys or xseed ya

Most places here in the UK either didn't stock it or only ordered 2-3 copies for launch. So it's no real surprise that some people are shocked by the figures. I think that's a pretty solid number for the game, personally one of my favorites from 2013.

They could have sold a lot more with a timely western release and some marketing.

WolvenOne

Yeah it's extremely charming and as a Studio Ghibli fan it was a joy to experience the world and animated scenery BUT the gameplay is a bit boring and tedious sometimes.

The game play wasn't bad exactly, but there were a couple of poor design decisions that if changed would have made Nino Kuni a much better game.

Specifically.

Gearing up and leveling multiple monsters ended up being a bit cumbersome.

Getting monsters to, fall in love with you, was too random. This made some of the side quests frustrating.

There's a bit too much filler content later in the game. I wouldn't have minded a shorter game if there was less filler.

Again, that's not to say its a bad game. Next time Level 5 makes a game like this though, I hope they spend a little more time play testing and polishing mechanics.

That's good news! Ni No Kuni deserves to sell more though.

I bought the Collector's Edition and imported the DS version (I plan to play it when I learn Japanese).

Hopefully it sold enough for a sequel.

Top Bottom