• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 1H 2012 results - $367M operating loss, 5.06M 3DS, 5.5M Wii U forecast

kswiston

...Err, actually, after seven quarters, 3DS is slightly over what DS did in the same number of quarters. And this despite DS had two Holidays in both Japan and US in the same timeframe, while 3DS just one.

DS after seven quarters - 21.26
3DS after seven quarters - 22.19

Does it really matter if 3DS stays ahead for 1 more quarter? After this point, DS was doing 4.5-6M in the non-holiday quarters. Unless 3DS sales increase over 100% next year, that gap is going to widen very quickly.

Anihawk is right about 3DS pricing. I don't think the system itself necessarily needs to be $100 ($150 would be nice) but no way in hell should most 3DS games be launching at $40. I have had my 3DS for over a year now and still only have 4 retail titles. I'm sure I will pick up more when older titles are readily available for $20 or less, but as it stands now, the games are too expensive. I'm not going to pay the same price for Mario Tennis that I paid to preorder Dishonored on PC. Standard 3DS titles should be $20-30. Especially the estore versions. It's great that NoA released Zelda: OOT and Star Fox 64 on the eStore, but for $40? No thanks. Both of those regularly go on sale for $30 or less at retail now.

Umm.... why? A thread like this would only be flame and troll bait, causing fights and bans. Plus, the title of your post, if it were the title of the thread, then admins help the OP things would get awful.
Because it would be informative. A better title for the thread would be "iOS games generate more revenue than (3)DS games."
To many of the figures you use are pulled out of your ass, that would be one horrible thread
Perhaps the numbers should only have 1 significant digit, but the data are enough to make some interesting conclusions.

Does it really matter if 3DS stays ahead for 1 more quarter? After this point, DS was doing 4.5-6M in the non-holiday quarters. Unless 3DS sales increase over 100% next year, that gap is going to widen very quickly

Its all pedantic anyway. Nintendo is selling a loss making piece of hardware in comparison to a piece of hardware with a nice profit margin. Its costing a lot of money to track the DS at this point.

pvpness

While price is definitely an issue, it's hard to think of one that would bring back consumers that are now used to $0.99 pricing while keeping budgets high enough for the games to retain the same quality (of course, stuff like Steel Diver should be $10 or less).

$30? Not enough of a difference from $40.

$20? The game's quality will start to suffer.

Maybe if they went full digital, but then their relationship with brick and mortar stores would also deteriorate.

I agree that the cats that are used to 99 cent games are gone but my son isn't one of them. Like I said, every time we're at a game store, he wanders into the 3DS section still. He hangs out more around the Steam sales and prices than he does the Appstore.

With his DS, when he had decidedly less money (no allowance/chores in those years) he still managed to build a pretty big library at $30 (must haves) and less than $20 (looks neat). It's actually kinda neat to watch, cause where as $40 isn't a barrier for me and games, it's a pretty big barrier for him at this point. But my point is, he bought new games as regularly as he could when they topped out at $30.

RedSwirl

Actually, he was looking forward to Luigi's Mansion 2 until it got delayed.

Haha. The first was Marvel Super Squad something or other. He wasn't that disappointed in that one because he picked it up as an impulse buy (couldn't find anything he actually wanted), it was Hero's of Ruin that did him in for good though. He really loved Torchlight and was always salty that he couldn't get it on his DS, so when the demo for Hero's of Ruin came up he was on it. Needless to say, the end product was disappointing to him. He also couldn't understand why Torchlight was so much cheaper and so much better. It was... difficult to explain.

There are definitely some software areas that Nintendo needs to wake up to. Maybe tiered pricing would help in my house, I dunno. He's not really seeing any games he's actually interested in; He still checks too. I see the conundrum clearly. He is neck deep into Minecraft and it was cheap. Anything he's slightly interested in (Kingdom Hearts) will, "Take forever" to save for.

Haha. Yeah, he had swapped games with the one other kid that he knows who owns a 3DS. Seriously. I sent my 3DS with him to school long ago hoping to snag some easy streetpasses (damn you puzzle gallery!) and was shocked when week after week he'd come home with the same three streetpassed Mii's.

To be honest, the eShop has started to make up most of the 3DS's worth to me so far. I've gotten a fair bit of games for free off of Club Nintendo that actually turned out to be quite good. Pushmo has been one of the secret best 3DS games and Crashmo comes out later this year. This is also the first time I've had access to Game Boy staples like Donkey Kong and Metroid II. DSiWare had a lot of hidden gems too, that whole ecosystem just got basically no advertising. I own literally three physical 3DS games right now (on my way to get my fourth - Zero Escape).

Also, I feel your kid's pain on the lack of a portable Torchlight equivalent.

Because it would be informative. A better title for the thread would be "iOS games generate more revenue than (3)DS games."

Perhaps the numbers should only have 1 significant digit, but the data are enough to make some interesting conclusions.

Again you are making assumptions then jumping to conclusions

Snakeyes

I agree that the cats that are used to 99 cent games are gone but my son isn't one of them. Like I said, every time we're at a game store, he wanders into the 3DS section still. He hangs out more around the Steam sales and prices than he does the Appstore.

With his DS, when he had decidedly less money (no allowance/chores in those years) he still managed to build a pretty big library at $30 (must haves) and less than $20 (looks neat). It's actually kinda neat to watch, cause where as $40 isn't a barrier for me and games, it's a pretty big barrier for him at this point. But my point is, he bought new games as regularly as he could when they topped out at $30.

Interesting. Maybe $30 (and less) really is a sustainable price point for both sides?

Props to your kid for sticking with full-featured titles in a market of Angry Birds btw :D

I did a thread a while ago asking what the comparative revenue numbers were between Nintendo's handheld software sales and those of iOS. The indication was that Nintendo's numbers dwarfed iOS but no one could really separate software from hardware. Plus, it was on an individual game-to-game basis.
Ya, there's no doubt that the average 3rd party 3DS game generates far more revenue than the average iOS game. iOS games generate 10 times more revenue than third party 3DS games but there are WAY more than 10x as many iOS games as third party 3DS games.

kswiston

Ya, there's no doubt that the average 3rd party 3DS game generates far more revenue than the average iOS game. iOS games generate 10 times more revenue than third party 3DS games but there are WAY more than 10x as many iOS games as third party 3DS games.

There are over 125 000 games on the iOS app store, so it's closer to 1000x. Most of them don't make any money, but the cost of entry to be an iOS developer is exponentially cheaper than the cost of entry to be a 3DS dev. Especially if we are looking at retail.

pvpness

To be honest, the eShop has started to make up most of the 3DS's worth to me so far. I've gotten a fair bit of games for free off of Club Nintendo that actually turned out to be quite good. Pushmo has been one of the secret best 3DS games and Crashmo comes out later this year. This is also the first time I've had access to Game Boy staples like Donkey Kong and Metroid II. DSiWare had a lot of hidden gems too, that whole ecosystem just got basically no advertising. I own literally three physical 3DS games right now (on my way to get my fourth - Zero Escape).

I'm (was) big into the eShop (and the club nintendo freebies) but he's been kinda luke warm. He dug Dillion's rolling western and sakurai samurai, and was nutz about Pushmo (and pissed because I couldn't find plushie's) but he's not come across a title in a long while there and to be honest, I've stopped checking the eShop regularly at this point.

Interesting. Maybe $30 (and less) really is a sustainable price point for both sides?

Props to your kid for sticking with full-featured titles in a market of Angry Birds btw :D

That's without a doubt the most interest part of the 3DS generation for me; Watching him struggle internally with price (when it's only 10 extra bucks!). Fairly entertaining.

Haha. The kid has pretty good taste most of the time because I've been grooming him to be the ultimate gamer from day one but he's still a kid that makes some pretty shitty choices sometimes. He bought that friggin Pet Zombies game for 3DS (used) and loved it intensely for a month or so. Lol. (He does also play Angry Birds, the Kairosoft games, and a bunch of the swipe to cut shit! games)

This is true. I can't wait for Crashmo, Denpa Men and Harmo Knight to come out. Heroes of Ruin is sort of like Torchlight.

As a lifelong Nintendo fan who really loved the Wii/DS era, I've been really disappointed with their direction lately.

I shut the 3D off on my 3DS most of the time. And the $250 launch price still leaves a bad taste.

NSMB2 was average and forgettable.

There's pretty much nothing else I want on 3DS for the rest of the year. No Luigi's Mansion? No Fire Emblem?

And the Wii U... sigh. I'm very uninspired. Just so much wrong with it in my eyes:

- NSMBU, the big launch game, looks way too similar to the others.

- The tablet has only shown innovation in asymmetrical local multiplayer, but I don't play local multiplayer.

- The tablet for single-player games is functionally the same as a DS (second touch-based screen), and we've already seen that Nintendo has run out of ideas there. If they had creative stuff with a second screen, we would've seen it already on the DS/3DS set up.

- I really liked the remotes and feel that creativity is being left on the table.

- Meanwhile, the Wii U looks to have the power of the PS3/360, yet is $300-$350 because of the tablet that I don't even want.

- MiiSpace holds no interest for me. I don't even see the appeal when I have a smartphone that sits next to me while I game.

- Nintendo TVii and all their side channels/apps on Wii U/3DS are not why I game. Nintendo's "games first" attitude was why I became a fan in the first place. I feel they're betraying that commitment.

- And while they go on these online excursions to try to fix things that aren't broken, they continue to neglect the actual play. NSMBU and Pikmin 3 won't have online multiplayer.

I can't believe that Nintendo only sees 5.5 Million WiiU's selling world wide by march. I can see it at most doing 10M by then (Christmas season and all). Maybe they're playing the, "If we make it sound like it will do bad, and it does good, investers will come back to us" card.

You're really sure that the WiiU will be behind the other two next consoles. Why so positive about this outcome?

In sales? No I'm certainly not sure at all how each company will finish. I'm just saying it's entirely possible because Nintendo tried to play more of MS and Sony's game instead of their own imho, which is what happened with the gamecube (my main console in that gen). I just expected Nintendo to go more out there in terms of changing gameplay design than what they ended up doing.

As a lifelong Nintendo fan who really loved the Wii/DS era, I've been really disappointed with their direction lately.

I shut the 3D off on my 3DS most of the time. And the $250 launch price still leaves a bad taste.

NSMB2 was average and forgettable.

There's pretty much nothing else I want on 3DS for the rest of the year. No Luigi's Mansion? No Fire Emblem?

And the Wii U... sigh. I'm very uninspired. Just so much wrong with it in my eyes:

- NSMBU, the big launch game, looks way too similar to the others.

- The tablet has only shown innovation in asymmetrical local multiplayer, but I don't play local multiplayer.

- The tablet for single-player games is functionally the same as a DS (second touch-based screen), and we've already seen that Nintendo has run out of ideas there. If they had creative stuff with a second screen, we would've seen it already on the DS/3DS set up.

- I really liked the remotes and feel that creativity is being left on the table.

- Meanwhile, the Wii U looks to have the power of the PS3/360, yet is $300-$350 because of the tablet that I don't even want.

- MiiSpace holds no interest for me. I don't even see the appeal when I have a smartphone that sits next to me while I game.

- Nintendo TVii and all their side channels/apps on Wii U/3DS are not why I game. Nintendo's "games first" attitude was why I became a fan in the first place. I feel they're betraying that commitment.

- And while they go on these online excursions to try to fix things that aren't broken, they continue to neglect the actual play. NSMBU and Pikmin 3 won't have online multiplayer.

I really don't understand people that say they don't play local multiplayer, why ever not

Nintendo should have no trouble selling as many Wii Us as they can ship this year, but I honestly have no idea how it'll sell come 2013, in the seeming absence of a hook as immediately compelling as motion controls. It'll be fascinating to watch.

jmizzal

If Nintendo is doing so poorly now, makes me wonder how they ever managed to pull a profit at the end of the GCN/GBA generation.

They are not doing poorly, they just are not making as much as they did when Wii/DS was selling great, and they are also spending a lot of money

AzaK

They adjusted their forecasted operating income down by a lot, but not their forecasted net sales. Why would they do that?

Only two possible reasons:

1) Retro's game is costing them 50 million to make.
2) They are on 22nm tech where the yields are low.

All other possibilities are illogical.

MrMephistoX

Nintendo should have no trouble selling as many Wii Us as they can ship this year, but I honestly have no idea how it'll sell come 2013, in the seeming absence of a hook as immediately compelling as motion controls. It'll be fascinating to watch.

It might be great if they market the screen properly instead of focusing on tablet games. All my friends and family who also have kids knew nothing about the ability to continue playing while others are occupying the TV and were pretty excited about it: I'm personally holding off till I see what else they have for 2013 though. Nintendo really dropped the ball though with regards to Virtual Console incompatibility...hopefully they'll change their tune when Suzie Soccer Mom starts bombarding their customer service line.

I'm a little worried too but I think all of the stuff that isn't announced will be system sellers. They've put a lot of effort into restructuring for better output so I am confident that more great games will start appearing.

You don't have friends that come over and hangout?I had my friend come over last Saturday and we played a couple games of nba 2k13 it was great.

Not really. My group of friends often includes females, none of whom game.

Of my male friends, I have three friends that game. 2 only like Call of Duty and sports games on platforms that I don't own. They are reticent to try anything different, which is fair since I don't really have a desire to play them in college football on PS3.

And I understand that. Why am I going to play a game that I'm not that interested in, that they've been practicing online for weeks? They'd either crush me or not play to win. And that's not that fun.

Conversely, why would they play me in Smash Bros, where I know the techniques and they don't know how to shield? For this, I understand the Wii Sports phenomenom. At least anyone can pick up that game and have a shot.

Given any of these scenarios, and the fact that I live in big city where there's always something else to do, why would we choose to stay in and play video games?

As for my other male friend who games, he mostly just pirates PC games. He did have a Wii for a while, which of course he hacked. I got him into Mario Kart for a bit, but even then, I would see him maybe once a month. At best we'd play local Mario Kart once every other month, which is hardly a selling point for a console or even a game.

If I want to play multiplayer, online is the way to go or not at all.

Of my male friends, I have three friends that game. 2 only like Call of Duty and sports games on platforms that I don't own. They are reticent to try anything different, which is fair since I don't really have a desire to play them in college football on PS3.

And I understand that. Why am I going to play a game that I'm not that interested in, that they've been practicing online for weeks? They'd either crush me or not play to win. And that's not that fun.

Conversely, why would they play me in Smash Bros, where I know the techniques and they don't know how to shield? For this, I understand the Wii Sports phenomenom. At least anyone can pick up that game and have a shot.

Given any of these scenarios, and the fact that I live in big city where there's always something else to do, why would we choose to stay in and play video games?

As for my other male friend who games, he mostly just pirates PC games. He did have a Wii for a while, which of course he hacked. I got him into Mario Kart for a bit, but even then, I would see him maybe once a month. At best we'd play local Mario Kart once every other month, which is hardly a selling point for a console or even a game.

Seriously just play to have fun, doesn't matter if he's an expert at a sports game and you at smash bros, just have a laugh, get some beers in and play whatever

Online is a piss poor substitute

Seriously just play to have fun, doesn't matter if he's an expert at a sports game and you at smash bros, just have a laugh, get some beers in and play whatever

Inline is a piss poor substitute

It's just extra time trying to learn a new game, which is always the least fun part. I'd rather just go out and grab the beer -- okay, I'm a Jack 'n' Coke guy -- which we tend to do.

It's just extra time trying to learn a new game, which is always the least fun part. I'd rather just go out and grab the beer -- okay, I'm a Jack 'n' Coke guy -- which we tend to do.

Really? most people's idea of learning a game for multiplayer is asking the other person which button does what then away you go, you really miss the point of multiplayer

Fair enough i have friends like that to,but to the sentence in bold,I live in new york city and yea i have a million things i can do as well,but last week my friend and i wen't out played a couple sets of tennis then came to my house and hung out.

Really? most people's idea of learning a game for multiplayer is asking the other person which button does what then away you go, you really miss the point of multiplayer

Whether or not I miss the "point" of mulitplayer is irrelevant. More and more people are using online to get their multiplayer fix, and Nintendo is behind the curve.

In addition to looking poorly in comparison to their competitors, it sucks for someone like me, who would actually want to play Pikmin 3 online.

Twenty7KVN said:
Fair enough i have friends like that to,but to the sentence in bold,I live in new york city and yea i have a million things i can do as well,but last week my friend and i wen't out played a couple sets of tennis then came to my house and hung out.

That's cool. I don't begrudge anyone who plays local. My username comes from the great times I had playing Smash Bros. in undergrad.

Given my situation now, local multi is just not a selling point for me. And that makes Nintendo's lagging behind on online gameplay a shame. Especially when they're dedicating online effort to things like MiiSpace.

donny2112

Well somehow in Japan they were able to hold on to the market they gained during the DS generation,

No, they weren't. You must've missed Brain Training's 3 terrible performance. The non-gamer market has moved on in Japan as well as in the U.S. The difference is that the Monster Hunter/PSP audience in Japan was big, and that has joined the 3DS significantly to make total sales of 3DS close to DS sales in Japan in the same time period. However there was no such PSP audience to co-opt in the U.S., so we're just seeing the DS audience minus the moved-on non-gamers with no significant PSP audience migration to make up the shortfall.

Whether or not I miss the "point" of mulitplayer is irrelevant. More and more people are using online to get their multiplayer fix, and Nintendo is behind the curve.

In addition to looking poorly in comparison to their competitors, it sucks for someone like me, who would actually want to play Pikmin 3 online.

That's cool. I don't begrudge anyone who plays local. My username comes from the great times I had playing Smash Bros. in undergrad.

Given my situation now, local multi is just not a selling point for me. And that makes Nintendo's lagging behind on online gameplay a shame. Especially when they're dedicating online effort to things like MiiSpace.

Saying Nintendo is behind the curve when it comes to online is slightly un fair, yeah they had some major fuck ups when it came to wii online but still 2 of their biggest games were online (mkwii and ssbb), yeah pikmin don't have online but there will be many great online games on wii u from both Nintendo and third parties

But still online is a piss poor substitute for local

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
3DS at 21 millions before its second holiday season is bad not that bad.

It's actually slightly more than what DS did in the same timeframe, with two Holidays in US and Japan. The number itself could be even considered pretty good after all, but in the future the platform will be well behind DS unless Western sales increase not just in a good way, but a lot.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
3DS at 21 millions before its second holiday season is bad not that bad.

It's actually slightly more than what DS did in the same timeframe, with two Holidays in US and Japan. The number itself could be even considered pretty good after all, but in the future the platform will be well behind DS unless Western sales increase not just in a good way, but a lot.

Right, I don't think in a vacuum the 3DS could be considered to be doing poorly.

It's just the shadow of Nintendo having so much success in the past, and the expectations that places.

Saying Nintendo is behind the curve when it comes to online is slightly un fair, yeah they had some major fuck ups when it came to wii online but still 2 of their biggest games were online (mkwii and ssbb), yeah pikmin don't have online but there will be many great online games on wii u from both Nintendo and third parties

I attempted SSBB online. It's unplayable. Granted, Mario Kart Wii was a great improvement, and Mario Kart 7 is an improvement on that.

But Pikmin isn't online. NSMB:U isn't online. And while they seem to think it's a killer app, even Nintendoland isn't online.

So their three biggest titles for the launch window are not going to have online gameplay. Instead, I'm going to be able to see random people drawing cocks (cleverly disguised as mushrooms) over my Mario map.

But still online is a piss poor substitute for local
Sometimes online is the only option people have if they want to play with friends.

I attempted SSBB online. It's unplayable. Granted, Mario Kart Wii was a great improvement, and Mario Kart 7 is an improvement on that.

But Pikmin isn't online. NSMB:U isn't online. And while they seem to think it's a killer app, even Nintendoland isn't online.

So their three biggest titles for the launch window are not going to have online gameplay. Instead, I'm going to be able to see random people drawing cocks (cleverly disguised as mushrooms) over my Mario map.

Haven't actually played pikmin before so don't know of of would work online but I really don't think Mario would (there was a thread on the subject recently)

They've lost a significant amount of money to be slightly ahead. Nothing about that is good

And despite hardware being slightly ahead, software is significantly behind, which at this point means its still up in the air whether or not they'll actually make enough money on the 3DS to have made it worth it.

jcm

It's selling below expectations. That's not the end of the world, but it is a problem.

Right, I don't think in a vacuum the 3DS could be considered to be doing poorly.

It's just the shadow of Nintendo having so much success in the past, and the expectations that places.
I'm pretty sure that will be the common theme for Nintendo this new generation, new generation being 3DS and wiiU. They'll probably do well, but I don't think they'll reach the same successes they reached in the past. Of course, sometimes the market is impossible to predict, that's just a guess now, but I could be wrong.

Not that they need that kind of success to be deemed successful.

5.5 million WU's by march...obviously we can't say much solid till the launch & subsequent holiday, but how ya'll feel about that target?
Expected. In a similar timeframe their first FY:

2 Quarters
GCN: 3.8m
PS3: 3.5m
Wii: 5.84m

3 Quarters
XBX: 3.9m
360: 5m

Worse than Wii, better than everything else.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm not going to try and predict the root of Nintendo's problems and the best way to fix them, nor their future if they keep with the current trend, but I'm not overly optimistic about it. It's the little (or big) things that don't fill me with confidence. I wish they'd support a more competitive digital pricing, and I wish they were more adventurous with the Wii U's software line-up.

I still think the Wii U launch is pretty damn poor from Nintendo's internally developed software. Same goes for the launch window. And the 3DS end-of-year line-up is dreadful. There's just not a lot on the horizon that screams "must have" or "game changer" to anybody except the people who naturally enjoy Nintendo goodies. Like, I'm excited for Paper Mario, and I'm excited for Luigi's Mansion 2, but I'm not going to pretend either is a hardware moving software giant waiting to happen.

Both the Wii U and 3DS are currently in that grey area where they're appealing to my interests as someone who has a flavour for Nintendo software and hardware, but that's about it. There's nothing else going on, nothing that says they're shaking up their IPs, the industry, or their own business.

So I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it pans out. Hopefully I don't have to wait until E3 2013 to hear more about Nintendo's new stuff.

I'm pretty sure that will be the common theme for Nintendo this new generation, new generation being 3DS and wiiU. They'll probably do well, but I don't think they'll reach the same successes they reached in the past. Of course, sometimes the market is impossible to predict, that's just a guess now, but I could be wrong.

Not that they need that kind of success to be deemed successful.

While I do think 3ds won't reach the heights of wii I do believe strongly the wii u has a good shot at doing as well or better than wii

I'm not going to try and predict the root of Nintendo's problems and the best way to fix them, nor their future if they keep with the current trend, but I'm not overly optimistic about it. It's the little (or big) things that don't fill me with confidence. I wish they'd support a more competitive digital pricing, and I wish they were more adventurous with the Wii U's software line-up.

I still think the Wii U launch is pretty damn poor from Nintendo's internally developed software. Same goes for the launch window. And the 3DS end-of-year line-up is dreadful. There's just not a lot on the horizon that screams "must have" or "game changer" to anybody except the people who naturally enjoy Nintendo goodies. Like, I'm excited for Paper Mario, and I'm excited for Luigi's Mansion 2, but I'm not going to pretend either is a hardware moving software giant waiting to happen.

Both the Wii U and 3DS are currently in that grey area where they're appealing to my interests as someone who has a flavour for Nintendo software and hardware, but that's about it. There's nothing else going on, nothing that says they're shaking up their IPs, the industry, or their own business.

So I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it pans out. Hopefully I don't have to wait until E3 2013 to hear more about Nintendo's new stuff.
I see what you're saying. The only reason I'm even remotely interested in getting the WiiU one day is for some nintendo games. Some would argue that as a success for Nintendo but when you think about it, shouldn't I be excited to get one for other reasons as well?

They just seem a bit slow on the uptake in a world and industry where things are moving so fast, and will only start moving faster. But yeah, overall I agree.

While I do think 3ds won't reach the heights of wii I do believe strongly the wii u has a good shot at doing as well or better than wii
that's a pretty big claim. I don't see it but hey, maybe the brand is stronger than I think. Still a big claim.

Top Bottom