• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS - Firmare update from another system/DownloadPlay "pack" perm. stored?

Two interesting 3DS-related patent applications got published today (Filed: Sept. 9/12, 2011)

• Perform a firmware update from another -already updated- system (EU/US Patent Application)

Firmware version is checked before a local multiplayer session (Download-Play only?), and if one of the systems has an older version, it's possible to receive/perform a firmware update from the already-updated system.

Prior to performing download play, it is checked whether or not it is necessary to update firmware of a slave apparatus. When it is necessary to update the firmware of the slave apparatus, a firmware update program is transmitted from a master apparatus to the slave apparatus, and the firmware of the slave apparatus is updated in accordance with the firmware update program. Thus, it is possible to update basic software by a novel method.

• The Download Play "slave program" stays stored on system even after it's turned-off (EU/US Patent Application)

The Download Play package only has to be downloaded once, since it gets stored on "non-volatile memory" (SD card?)

Further, according to the above embodiment, the slave apparatus program that is downloaded from the master apparatus to the slave apparatus in download play is stored in the nonvolatile memory of the slave apparatus. Thus, when download play of the same game is performed again after the slave apparatus is powered off, it is not necessary to download the slave apparatus program from the master apparatus again, and the waiting time until download play is started can be shortened. In addition, time and effort for an operation of the user can be omitted.

I'm I just an idiot? Do these features already exist on the system?

Can't tell if old - Lock/ignore as required

Wasn´t this said before the 3ds launched??

I remember reading about this, saying that it would be used to combat piracy.

Mithos

• Perform a firmware update from another -already updated- system (EU/US Patent Application)

Firmware version is checked before a local multiplayer session, and if one of the systems has an older version, it's possible to receive/perform a firmware update from the already-updated system.
This one I really like, since Nintendo do not allow for PC download and then update the Firmwares like on PS3/PSP/Vita.

Yeah, I remember that if you streetpassed someone with a newer firm, it will force the 3ds to update...

Or I´m crazy and that was just speculation?

No, you are right, I think something firmware-related was mentioned at some point.

Is anyone here using Download Play?

Are we sure the "forced" firmware update is not already there?

untitledhyls5.jpg

Does this mean I will be able to update my 3DS XL firmware in my car using my launch 3DS, then transfer my stuff and trade in my 3DS?

If normal and XL versions carry the same firmware, yes, but maybe the 3DS XL has to be plugged-in during the update.

ter0yn2.png

If you REALLY must do it in the car, maybe you'll need a 3DS car charger or something.

beje

Banned
The Download Play packet stored in the SD in some kind of temporary file already works. I remember playing Tetris with a buddy using download play, and the next day we did it he didn't need to download anything, access to the game was almost immediate from the Download Play menu.

The Download Play packet stored in the SD in some kind of temporary file already works. I remember playing Tetris with a buddy using download play, and the next day we did it he didn't need to download anything, access to the game was almost immediate from the Download Play menu.

Cool, didn't know.

Tyeforce

Yeah, this is an old patent. The 3DS already does all of this.

Your 3DS will store the last game you played via Download Play on your SD card so the next time you go to play, you'll download it instantly. That saved data will be overwritten anytime you play a new Download Play title, though, and it only saves the most recent one.

Also, system updates are already transferable over Download Play. I've updated a friend's 3DS via Mario Kart 7 before.

These features were added in the November 2011 update, I believe.

I really wish old stuff like this would stop getting reported as news. Gaming news sites just don't do their fact checking anymore... =/

Yeah, this is an old patent. The 3DS already does all of this.

These features were added in the November 2011 update, I believe.

Good to know, thanks.

I was getting the feeling that these could be features already available - unfortunately I couldn't test them.

I really wish old stuff like this would stop getting reported as news. Gaming news sites just don't do their fact checking anymore... =/

What gaming news sites?

I made the thread after checking the patent database. The -specific- patent application got published today.

Tyeforce

Good to know, thanks.

I was getting the feeling that these could be features already available.

What gaming sites?

I made the thread after checking the patent database. The -specific- patent application got published today.
Oops, haha, so this originated here on GAF then. Either way, a few sites have picked it up as news and are reporting it as possible features that Nintendo will update the system with in the future, never mind that the 3DS already does all of this.

So far, I've seen it on Nintendo Life and the Nintendo site that Goes.

Oops, haha, so this originated here on GAF then. Either way, a few sites have picked it up as news and are reporting it as possible features that Nintendo will update the system with in the future, never mind that the 3DS already does all of this.

So far, I've seen it on Nintendo Life and the Nintendo site that Goes.

o_O so fast?

Top Bottom