• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

Jonnyram

I need deets on Ridge Racer... anyone know how many tracks there really are, and how many of them are recycled from past games?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
dallow_bg said:
Where did they say that. I knew about RE though.
They didn't. A couple of members theorized that 3D gives a natural AA effect, or something to that effect. and it grew from there.

BooJoh

VOOK said:
If you tap it though it just says 'will be available with a system update'. I tried ;)
Does this mean I'll have to keep playing my DS WFC games on my DSi for a couple months if I want to keep my friend codes intact? I knew DSiWare transfer was delayed, but didn't think system settings transfer would be.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Jonnyram said:
I need deets on Ridge Racer... anyone know how many tracks there really are, and how many of them are recycled from past games?
The only thing anyone knows is there are 150 "locations"

locations could be anything

my closet is a location

gkryhewy

Jonnyram said:

Expect a lot of recycling, since the producer said in the Iwata Asks interview that there are 'a few new courses.'

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
BooJoh said:
Does this mean I'll have to keep playing my DS WFC games on my DSi for a couple months if I want to keep my friend codes intact? I knew DSiWare transfer was delayed, but didn't think system settings transfer would be.

Hmm I'm not sure, don't you transfer WFC details through the games though? Like if you bought a new DS Lite you'd have to boot it to a game with WFC to do it.

DS friend codes won't work with 3DS ones I'd imagine.

- J - D -

gkryhewy said:
Expect a lot of recycling, since the producer said in the Iwata Asks interview that there are 'a few new courses.'

Actually:

Iwata:

How is the content volume this time?

Sakagami:

The game may be for a handheld system, but we increased the volume. For example, there are quite a few more courses. We made several new courses and there's quite a rich selection of cars. There's also a Grand Prix Mode with various race locations. More than 150!

Iwata:

Did you say 150?!

Sakagami:

I did! So there's plenty of racing to be done! There's a variety of modes, too. For example, there's the Tour Mode. Unlike the Grand Prix Mode, it allows you to select certain conditions—like you want to play for x number of minutes—and it automatically selects a course for you.

Luigiv

Since I don't know how many people are lurking the Aussie thread I'll just repost this here.
Australia > Japan anyway. ;)

Just got back from the Perth event. Went 20 minutes before they opened so the crowd was reasonable (which meant I had all the time I wanted to check things out :D). 3D was great. Managed to get it working for me in all the demos I tried though some games had more of a learning curve then others.

Going in, approximate, order of what I tried:

Resident Evil: Mecenaries - Amazing graphics! Way better then the last batch of official screenshots. 3D looked more pop-up book then real 3D but I guess that's to be expected with such detailed graphics on a low res screen. Slider feels great and the touch screen is very responsive.

Resident Evil Revelations & Metal Gear Solid video reel - Revelations was just a recording of the Japanese demo. Looked about on par with Mecernaries except in a much smaller environment with less character models (so there's room for improvement :D). MGS was a very, very shortened version of the naked sample. 3D was a little tricky for me in this one but I eventually got things comfy before moving on.

Super Street Fight IV - Got my ass kicked by Cammy so damn quickly. Great 3D though, very natural. I also quite like the clicky D-Pad.

Kid Icarus - Great Graphics, good 3D and surprising intuitive ground controls. As you should know by now, a quick flick rotates the camera whilst a deliberate squiggle controls the cursor. The distinction between a flick and a squiggle is very natural and felt just right after a minute of practise.

Steel Diver - Only bothered trying the tutorial, so it was a little boring but I can confirm that the controls are great. Had no trouble switching between the screens rapidly and constantly. 3D looks as expected. Looks especially great when surfacing.

Nintendogs - I want a real Husky. :(

Ocarina of Time - Updated graphics look nice but other then that it's just OoT (can't really get all that excited over playing the Deku Tree again for the 5 millionth time) so I didn't spend too long on it. More notably though, it was my first attempt at trying gyro controls with 3D on. The light weight of the unit made maintaining the effect surprisingly easy to do... until the tether got in the way. Fear unfounded folks.

AR Games - this is the game that gave me the most trouble with 3D. Again I blame the tether, but I did get the hang of things before the demo was over.

Pilot Wings - There was a kid Who was hogging the demo for a bit before I got my hands on it but I'm so glad I waited. Easily my favourite use of 3D of all the demoed games. Great controls too, perfectly captured the joy of flying (also double tapping L and R does what you would expect it to do :D). This just jumped to the top of my must buy list.

On the way out I also caught a quick glimpse of the Mario Kart vid units featured outside the booth. Looks way better in 3D then it does in screen shots. The low poly designs of the cars make them really stick out in 3D.

General Hardware impressions:

I can confirm the promotional shots are correctly colour balanced. Aqua Blue looked just as expected, so I'm very glad I went with black.

3 tiered/Hamburger design doesn't look anywhere near as bad in person when you get a good look at just how thin those tiers are.

Touch Screen is way more sensitive then the original DS (it responds to the lightest of touches) however it still has the same amount of give, making it feel a bit more 2004 then I'd like (also explains why Nintendo didn't bother including a multi-touch option in the drivers. The more give, the accurate a resistive touch screen is with multi-touch)

The unit is very light but at the same time very solid. Reminds me of the classic controller, expensive feeling despite it's lack of weight.

Overall I'm very impressed. Will, probably, be going again tomorrow (again first thing in the morning) if any WA gaffers want to meet up.

BooJoh

VOOK said:
Hmm I'm not sure, don't you transfer WFC details through the games though? Like if you bought a new DS Lite you'd have to boot it to a game with WFC to do it.

DS friend codes won't work with 3DS ones I'd imagine.
To transfer from DS or DS Lite you needed a WFC game to access the WFC options menu. For DSi you can access it from within the system settings menu. It basically just transfers the 16-digit sytem WFC ID to the new system, so that DS games think they're in the same game+system pair when used on the new machine, and the old machine recieves a new WFC ID. So while it requires a game to do the transfer on DS/Lite, the only actual changes made are within the system settings.

For purposes of backward compatibility, I would assume the 3DS has a WFC ID too, but I'm not sure if it uses the 3DS "friend code" or has a seperate DS-mode system ID.

My biggest concern is the possibility of having to wait 2 months to do the DSi settings transfer, only to have it screw with the system/internet settings in 3DS mode.

Jonnyram

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Actually:

Iwata:

How is the content volume this time?

Sakagami:

The game may be for a handheld system, but we increased the volume. For example, there are quite a few more courses. We made several new courses and there's quite a rich selection of cars. There's also a Grand Prix Mode with various race locations. More than 150!

Iwata:

Did you say 150?!

Sakagami:

I did! So there's plenty of racing to be done! There's a variety of modes, too. For example, there's the Tour Mode. Unlike the Grand Prix Mode, it allows you to select certain conditions—like you want to play for x number of minutes—and it automatically selects a course for you.
OK, the translation may be a little misleading, but only really if you're looking for details like myself.

Reading the Japanese he says specifically they've added "a number of new courses" (which doesn't imply few or many), and the 150 figure refers to the number of races in GP mode. Here's the Japanese page if anyone is interested:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/interview/creators/vol4/index4.html

how do we get our Hong Kong sales numbers then?

its like they stole a good number of Japanese units that will never be counted LOL

StickSoldier said:
Do the youtube videos have footage of a finalized version of ss4? If so can anyone confirm if the background have objects that move, or just stuck? Sorry I'm at class so I can't watch anything.

people have been talking about this a lot but no one has talked about the stress on the eyes from background movements when in 3D maybe it looked like a mess in 3D and they decided to go static

Smiles and Cries said:
people have been talking about this a lot but no one has talked about the stress on the eyes from background movements when in 3D maybe it looked like a mess in 3D and they decided to go static

Hmm, yeah I'm hoping 3D isn't that bad because I want the depth to create a real world feeling, not just a bunch of static back grounds and such. But I'm really hoping that it doesn't have anything to do with the game using majority of the systems power (I don't really think so, it just came out). Hopefully it's explained in detail by Capcom at some point.

StickSoldier said:
Hmm, yeah I'm hoping 3D isn't that bad because I want the depth to create a real world feeling, not just a bunch of static back grounds and such. But I'm really hoping that it doesn't have anything to do with the game using majority of the systems power (I don't really think so, it just came out). Hopefully it's explained in detail by Capcom at some point.

yeah hopefully they give the reason for this does the iPhone version have animated backgrounds? I'm just wondering if they are both built on the same MT Mobile version

From what I could tell of Revelations, there was a bit of AA added in 2D but the 3D seemed to cover it to an extent. I honestly didn't notice a big difference in jagged lines, they looked pretty much the same from a graphics point of view.

Is it true about DS games looking worse on the 3DS?

Smiles and Cries said:
yeah hopefully they give the reason for this does the iPhone version have animated backgrounds? I'm just wondering if they are both built on the same MT Mobile version

No.
SSF4 iPhone was completely 2D from the characters to the backgrounds.

Smiles and Cries said:
iPhone port is nothing like anything else. It uses no 3D graphics at all - the characters are pre-rendered 2D, the start of Ultra's are FMV's.

Edit: Beat!

hmmm then we can only tack it up as the fate of a launch title being rushed out the door
I really doubt that the 3DS was just not powerful enough to include it, maybe they will never tell us the reason for this

What I am really looking forward to was RE Revelations not being in the launch window gives me more hope that they get to understand the 3DS a little better than Ono's team had time to play around with

Luigiv

_Alkaline_ said:
From what I could tell of Revelations, there was a bit of AA added in 2D but the 3D seemed to cover it to an extent. I honestly didn't notice a big difference in jagged lines, they looked pretty much the same from a graphics point of view.

Is it true about DS games looking worse on the 3DS?
Yeah it's already been confirmed that Revelations adds 2xSSAA when in 2D mode.

Yeah the Iphone version isn't anything like the console versions, but I just can't fathom that they'd take out animated backgrounds just because of the 3D. If that's the reason, I wonder if they could of possibly made an option in the game to have the backgrounds animated or not, however I'm not even sure if that is feasible.

Edit: Or yeah it could be because they tried to rush it; I guess we might never know... Lol

Truth101

Banned
StickSoldier said:
Yeah the Iphone version isn't anything like the console versions, but I just can't fathom that they'd take out animated backgrounds just because of the 3D. If that's the reason, I wonder if they could of possibly made an option in the game to have the backgrounds animated or not, however I'm not even sure if that is feasible.

I'm wondering if they had filled up the 2GB carts and that there were not any larger capacity carts in production, that would easily explain why animated backgrounds were not in.

Truth101 said:
I'm wondering if they had filled up the 2GB carts and that there were not any larger capacity carts in production, that would easily explain why animated backgrounds were not in.

Errr, no...
It was likely more due to the fact that they were making the game in like a year and shifted priorities to making it as full featured as they could without have to sacrifice FPS.

Truth101

Banned
AceBandage said:
Errr, no...
It was likely more due to the fact that they were making the game in like a year and shifted priorities to making it as full featured as they could without have to sacrifice FPS.

I only say that because I remember something about some game filling up the entire 2 GB. In truth though I am way too drunk to be posting in these boards.

its nearly 4PM Friday Japan Time

are we not going to have predictions of first day / first week sales?

we should see line pics in about 8-10 hours but with the pre-order tickets this is doubtful now right?

Smiles and Cries said:
its nearly 4PM Friday Japan Time

are we not going to have predictions of first day / first week sales?

we should see line pics in about 8-10 hours but with the pre-order tickets this is doubtful now right?

There are a lot of predictions in the Media Create threads.

Izayoi

Banned
Amir0x said:
You mean like 60fps? Street Fighter IV also gets a benefit in non-3D mode. I am sure there are also tons of games that receive as yet uncommented on benefits when the mode is shut off. But, I don't like the pop in your face 3D as a rule, and it's distracting and has other downsides besides just impacting the performance of a game (illusion completely falls apart with even the slightest viewing angle; 3D wildly varies in terms of impact; headache inducing to look between 3D screen and non-3D screen since it's a dual screen system) , so I'm turning it off because it's retarded.
I thought Street Fighter was confirmed to be 60fps in both 3D and non-3D modes?

Have you played a 3DS? Is this where your impressions are coming from?

From what I've heard the general consensus on the effect seems to be positive. There are some problems with certain games it seems like, but most people seem to agree that the effect is beneficial to the experience. I'm positive I remember one gaffer mentioning that he had to problem glancing between the screens and not losing the 3D effect or needing to refocus or anything like that.

Fake edit: Read your post with the gamespot link. I don't know, I've heard tons of gaffers say that there is no framerate difference between the two modes. I almost trust them more than the big gaming news sites, to be honest with you. I guess we'll have to wait until the frame counters can get their hands on it to know for sure.

Shiggie

StickSoldier said:
Is this in reference to a quote about the game using 80 or 90 percent (or whatever denotation was used) of the the systems resources or something? Because if it is that was about using most of the features. Like Street and spot pass, wifi, local wireless and, 3d.
sorry im tired if its incoherent.

Glancing from one screen to another will not break the 3D at all. It's not a magic eye picture.
As long as you don't also move the console from side to side as you do it, it'll be fine.

DCharlie

Banned

a lot of store chains (Bic, Yodobashi, Yurindo,Tsutaya etc) have posted notices at their stores advising people without preorders to not come as there is -no- stock for non-preordered units.

So i expect minimum lines

seady

Having finally see the 3DS in person, I think the criticism about losing the 3D or difficulty of finding a 'sweet spot' is blown out of proportion. It really isn't that hard to view the 3D, and you can even see the 3D when you are on the side watching other people playing.

Luigiv

seady said:
Having finally see the 3DS in person, I think the criticism about losing the 3D or difficulty of finding a 'sweet spot' is blown out of proportion. It really isn't that hard to view the 3D, and you can even see the 3D when you are on the side watching other people playing.
Yep. It also helps that the system is really, really light so holding it in position isn't tiring at all.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
seady said:

+1

Compared to say my Fujifilm 3D camera, it's brilliant.

seady said:

lol maybe when the first person said it everyone else tend to mindlessly tilt the angle until they break the illusion and say "Ha! It is so easy!"

We will read about this breaking of the illusion for months to come no matter how good it works they will all try to find the weak spot

bigswords

Smiles and Cries said:
so only 2 games came out in Hong Kong or are those guys just dirt poor?
they run a gaming site they should have gotten everything

It's the Japanese region of the system. Most likely they will follow most of Asia and use the US region system, since you know the 3DS is region locked.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Holding 3DS in any other position than in front of your eyes is retarded.

But the legitimate concern that was raised involved games relying on motion (gyro/accelerometers). I guess it won't be that hard though to move your head and your arms as a block/robot.

Sadist

What about the loading times guys? A few demo's like the Ridge Racer take a long time to load. Is this still the case or are those early builds?

EVH

Sadist said:
What about the loading times guys? A few demo's like the Ridge Racer take a long time to load. Is this still the case or are those early builds?

The videos posted 1 o 2 pages ago show 10s load times for RidgeRacer, more or less.

VOOK said:
+1

Compared to say my Fujifilm 3D camera, it's brilliant.
Yeah, it's interesting, the camera and my 3D photo frame use the exact same tech as the 3DS - but the 3DS somehow has a much wider sweet spot. Especially compared to the photo frame, that thing is horribly hard to find the right spot.

- J - D -

Speaking of loading times, in those unboxing vids from earlier today I felt that the time it took the 3ds to power on and boot up to home screen was noticeably long. Not so much that it is annoying (yet, I suppose), but enough for my attention to focus on it.

even though gyro + 3D sounds retarded I can see it helping me a lot

I need to know when stores at my local mall will have units to try out

I don't expect to be able to see the 3D since I have one bad eye and I've gone to the 3D movies where I wore the 3D glasses and seen nothing of it only keeping the glasses on to avoid the blurry double image

3D means nothing to me but I still want a new portable for gaming because I cannot really play console games that are too far away so I've been hoping to move to handhelds only

getting a 3DS and NGP will help me get my gaming needs back

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Speaking of loading times, in those unboxing vids from earlier today I felt that the time it took the 3ds to power on and boot up to home screen was noticeably long. Not so much that it is annoying (yet, I suppose), but enough for my attention to focus on it.

yeah I saw the videos too and I thought it was stupid that he turned it off and on to change games

as for the boot load time for turning it on - can the 3DS do all the streetpass and pedometer coins when powered off?

If not it seems the system is designed to always be on - in sleep mode instead of turning the power off so maybe the load time will encourage people to leave it in sleep mode instead

- J - D -

You make a good point Ninty probably does intend for you to leave the system in sleep mode rather than shutting off completely. It's going to be strange treating my Nintendo device like an iPod rather than any previous portable gaming system. I always shut my gaming devices completely off. Habit.

mandiller

Serenade said:
So many mixed things regarding the framerate in SSFIV

gaffers that played the game at prior events have said the framerate didn't change between 2D or 3D.

I just played the demo of SSFIV 3D and it was super smooth. I really wouldn't be able to tell you if it was 60 fps or a bit less, but it certainly was nice and smooth and I had no problem with it in 3D or 2D. There wasn't any slowdowns that i noticed.

The game looks great in 2D. 3D is also nice but the characters are kind of blocky and needing of some AA, it's not terribly by any means though.

Celine

Dreamwriter said:
Yeah, it's interesting, the camera and my 3D photo frame use the exact same tech as the 3DS - but the 3DS somehow has a much wider sweet spot. Especially compared to the photo frame, that thing is horribly hard to find the right spot.
Tech itself isn't anything new ( Sharp commercialized product with parallax barrier in 2002-2004 ) however it seems Sharp latest screen is the best implementation of it yet.
Depth slider should help too.

BowieZ

Banned
Is it just me or does Miyamoto have his own special brown 3DS?

mainvisual1.jpg

Top Bottom