• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

23022011693.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what the "Mel Sel" icon is all about? (and that other mystery icon in the bottom right corner!)

Kuran

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Does anyone have any idea what the "Mel Sel" icon is all about? (and that other mystery icon in the bottom right corner!)

I guess I will once again be labelled a troll, but I would like to express my disappointment once again in the hardware design. Everything looks janky, tacky, and ill-engineered. And that chrome-ish stick is so ghetto.

Edit: My specific points of complaints are the power-button that looks out of place with its square design, and the angular design of the hinges, which might be because previous hinge designs kept cracking? But this needed a lot more polish and care.. can't wait to see the 3DS Lite in two years.

My want/not-want for this system is such a rollercoaster ride. :/

PS. How did you get a dutch 3DS? Press copy?

Luigiv

Nuclear Muffin said:
23022011693.jpg

The one in the bottom corner says "Dev Men" (I saw it in another screen). Not really hard to guess what they do.

Izayoi

Banned
BowieZ said:
Is it just me or does Miyamoto have his own special brown 3DS?

mainvisual1.jpg
It's the black one. The room and table and light all combine to make it appear brownish in that image.

Nuclear Muffin said:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5796/23022011693.jpg[IMG]

Does anyone have any idea what the "Mel Sel" icon is all about? (and that other mystery icon in the bottom right corner!)[/QUOTE]
I would imagine the "MEN SEL" is short for "Menu Select".

What that means I couldn't tell you.

enishi

bigswords said:
It's the Japanese region of the system. Most likely they will follow most of Asia and use the US region system, since you know the 3DS is region locked.
There is rumor that HK official 3DS will be US-region (no announcement nor date from Nintendo HK) but our Wii, 360, PS2 are all Japan-region.

Only reason I cam think of changing the region is the big price difference (as we follow US Dollar.......)

Yup, that's some kind of dev unit with a pair of what seem to be dev menu options. My guess is that it's one of the "Panda" units mentioned in the leaked devkit pricing list from the other week.

jkh13

Neo Member
bigswords said:
It's the Japanese region of the system. Most likely they will follow most of Asia and use the US region system, since you know the 3DS is region locked.

Hong Kong uses the Japanese region, games come out in Japanese and English in NSTC-J region in Hong Kong.

mandiller

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ahh cool, mystery solved!

Probably just debug stuff then.

I played with a dev unit today that had those two icons. Men Sel launches some text menu where you can select several different things if I recall correctly (nothing too interesting). Dev Sel is pretty much the same and tells you info like the SDK version number etc.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Yeah those are just dev units. Nothing special.

My two games from Play-Asia have shipped, should have them on the 1st of March.

:D

rpmurphy

Kuran said:
I guess I will once again be labelled a troll, but I would like to express my disappointment once again in the hardware design. Everything looks janky, tacky, and ill-engineered. And that chrome-ish stick is so ghetto.

Edit: My specific points of complaints are the power-button that looks out of place with its square design, and the angular design of the hinges, which might be because previous hinge designs kept cracking? But this needed a lot more polish and care.. can't wait to see the 3DS Lite in two years.

My want/not-want for this system is such a rollercoaster ride. :/
Eh, those cosmetic things are just nit-picks, IMO. I think the main concerns should be functional aspects of the hardware (since the purpose of the product is really for use rather than for show), and that information isn't going to be available as much until people get extended personal use out of the system.

BowieZ

Banned
The thing looks beautiful in person, though. Even when all smudgy and used looking, just moving it about slightly, it captures all sorts of wonderful natural light and glows in a decadent manner. I didn't even notice the hinges, they are a non-issue in person.

Well I don't really feel like doing the all night thing that I did for the DS lite, especially with such a boring launch lineup.

But I think I will wake up early tomorrow and maybe check out some of the local stores first before heading downtown to see if there are going to be any units left. Not very hopeful but maybe I will get lucky.

Are any j-gaffers in Osaka lining up tonight or tomorrow?

Kuran

Banned
rpmurphy said:
Eh, those cosmetic things are just nit-picks, IMO. I think the main concerns should be functional aspects of the hardware (since the purpose of the product is really for use rather than for show), and that information isn't going to be available as much until people get extended personal use out of the system.

Of course, but there is no reason for a company as large and important in its field, as Nintendo, to be so arrogant as to not even try to improve on their past design successes and their competitors.

It doesn't make sense for the 3DS to take steps back from the DSi, design-wise. People need to speak up about this.

The lack of second analog is bizarre, too.. but that can be seen as them wanting to keep the touch-screen as the main control input.

BowieZ said:
The thing looks beautiful in person, though. Even when all smudgy and used looking, just moving it about slightly, it captures all sorts of wonderful natural light and glows in a decadent manner. I didn't even notice the hinges, they are a non-issue in person.

Good to hear.

enishi

I don't think the line-up is too bad when compared to those at the launch of original DS, just maybe the offering from Nintendo was better...

Because I bought my first DS the next day when I saw this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckTV18KrBLc

While I am not too interested in Nintendogs+cats, I find the built-in software are way-better than DSi/DSiLL/Wii.

And finally I can play a proper Winning Eleven on portable (I don't have PSP...)

Kuran said:
Of course, but there is no reason for a company as large and important in its field, as Nintendo, to be so arrogant as to not even try to improve on their past design successes and their competitors.

You think for them????

Maybe they like the design and/or would rather focus on something more important like functionality.

It's fine to not like the design but to say they aren't even trying is kind of out there.

I guess it matters to you but the power button's shape being "inconsistent" with the rest of the buttons on the face of the system is the last of my worries or would be if it was a worry at all.

I'd only care if the system was ugly as heck but looks like a DS Lite to me for the most part.

Kuran said:

It doesn't make sense for the 3DS to take steps back from the DSi, design-wise. People need to speak up about this.

Except - and this should be obvious from reading the Iwata Asks features on the hardware design - they did put a lot of time into trying to improve and differentiating the design, even while being tied to a certain form factor for backwards-compatibility etc.

That you don't like the changes doesn't make them not changes.

The lack of second analog is bizarre, too.. but that can be seen as them wanting to keep the touch-screen as the main control input.

...or as a limitation of the device size. At the size chosen, there was no room for a secon analogue stick - or anything else, by the looks of it - in the casing.

You can argue that it should have had a larger form to allow for a second analogue (and a larger battery, and... and...) but then you have to start considering whether that would have meant larger screens - small screens in a DSiXL-size case would look very odd - and the cost of those, and the knock-on effect on battery life etc. etc.

Designing a device like this is about compromises, and unless you're aiming for a high-end luxury handheld then somewhere along the way something has to go.

Luigiv

Kuran said:
More along the lines of not wanting to "scare off casuals" with too many inputs. At least that was their official excuse for putting so few buttons on the Wiimote.

I don't really mind, though, given the much more finger friendly touch screen can make up for it in most cases.

Luigiv said:
More along the lines of not wanting to "scare off casuals" with too many inputs. At least that was their official excuse for putting so few buttons on the Wiimote.

I don't really mind, though, given the much more finger friendly touch screen can make up for it in most cases.

Except for when you're left-handed and Kid Icarus is designed to make you hate Nintendo for their control scheme.

Izayoi

Banned
Is it still possible to buy those thumbstrap things?

I lost mine ages ago and I'm interested again seeing how Kid Icarus controls.

mandiller said:
I played with a dev unit today that had those two icons. Men Sel launches some text menu where you can select several different things if I recall correctly (nothing too interesting). Dev Sel is pretty much the same and tells you info like the SDK version number etc.
I'm guessing one of them shows info about the cartidge inserted. I know the development Wiis there is a menu that does that.

The Wii ones also allowed firmware to changed by using firmware discs. Curious that is missing fron the 3DS. Does this mean dev kit firmware is a special region free firmware or they too are region locked?

Yeah it's just personal preference I guess. If I get anything it would be Layton because I have yet to play any of that series.

Not really interested in nintendogs. Scamco can fuck off as far as I am concerned. Honestly not interested in SF on a portable. I have a huge tv/surround/hori stick for my SF needs. Don't really like soccer games. I burnt out on musou games a lonnnggg time ago.

Dinosaurs are cool but I have no idea about that game.

If the JP launch had Steel Diver I would probably be out there waiting in the not-so-cold weather right now. :D

I will make sure to find a 3DS before it releases at least.

I wish Steel Diver was a Japanese launch title, more curious about what people here say about that than the others because I don't know what to expect from the impressions on the final game.

Starwolf_UK said:
The Wii ones also allowed firmware to changed by using firmware discs. Curious that is missing fron the 3DS. Does this mean dev kit firmware is a special region free firmware or they too are region locked?

Again referring to the devkit leak, it appears that - in the West, at least - there are three different "Panda" debug/dev units available, one for each region - US, EU and AUS. So, it would appear that even the dev 3DS systems are region-locked.

"Confirmed: the Nintendo 3DS blocks DS flashcarts
...until the next round of flashcart firmware updates?
As we had imagined, original Nintendo DS and DSi flashcarts are not functioning at all on the Nintendo 3DS. Members of our forums have tested compatibility with multiple cards, and results are 100% negative. Tested flashcarts so far:
Supercard DSTWO
Supercard DSONE
R4 DS
EZ-Flash Vi
From the first reports we've received, the flashcart icons show up normally in the 3DS menu but refuse to launch. Will flashcart manufacturers release firmware updates to bypass the new protection of the 3DS? Hard to say, but they are probably at work already. The first team to break the 3DS protections will certainly receive great praise from the community."

- gbatemp

The war begins now! Homebrew has so much potential imo. Curioius how good nintendo's software is this time around =P

Vinterbird said:
Except for when you're left-handed and Kid Icarus is designed to make you hate Nintendo for their control scheme.

I will still never understand this. Do you have a nub for your right hand or something? I mean I could understand a game that required writing/drawing on the touch screen or something(etrian odyssey for example). But action games don't seem like they would be a problem. Gaming has always been a two-handed sport. I never complained about not being able to dash in Street Fighter because I'm right handed and the d-pad is on the left side! Aren't you just basically pointing your stylus at the screen in Kid Icarus?

Is it just a comfort thing? Because you are holding a pen like object in a hand you aren't used to? I am in no way ambidextrous but I would regularly switch hands playing DS games and had no problems.

Honestly not trying to be an asshole. This opinion has just always baffled me.

Luigiv

UncleSporky said:
Except whoops no because it's really easy to get used to it.
Yep, just pulled out MPH to test it out, playing with left handed controls. Aiming with my left hand was easy, it was just trying to move and aim simultaneously that tripped me up (since I kept on trying to aim with my right and move with my left). Left handed gamers are at no where near the same disadvantage since they should already be use to moving with the left and aiming with the right.

Seriously, stylus aiming is nowhere near as demanding as writing. It's a very ambidextrous skill.

BudokaiMR2 said:
I will still never understand this. Do you have a nub for your right hand or something? I mean I could understand a game that required writing/drawing on the touch screen or something(etrian odyssey for example). But action games don't seem like they would be a problem. Gaming has always been a two-handed sport. I never complained about not being able to dash in Street Fighter because I'm right handed and the d-pad is on the left side! Aren't you just basically pointing your stylus at the screen in Kid Icarus?

Is it just a comfort thing? Because you are holding a pen like object in a hand you aren't used to? I am in no way ambidextrous but I would regularly switch hands playing DS games and had no problems.

[/spoiler] Honestly not trying to be an asshole. This opinion has just always baffled me.[/spoiler]

Using a stylus with my right hand is near impossible for me. And Kid Icarus seems to demand some precision, and speedy movement of the hand on the touch screen. For me, it's a giant mental change in using the right hand for stylus movement, and character movement on the left hand, since I am in no way used to that type of object or movement with my right hand.

Dual analogue is a very different thing, since it's symmetrical in design for both hands, it's both thumbs, you're not holding anything and it's a much more universal way of an input device, rather then suddenly using an object in the "wrong hand" for me.

I'll probably have to get in early so that I won't end up with a model with any security issues fixed.

Wonder if Nintendo's going to be as stringent as Sony in the cat and mouse game of firmwares.

VOOK

Luigiv said:
Yep, just pulled out MPH to test it out, playing with left handed controls. Aiming with my left hand was easy, it was just trying to move and aim simultaneously that tripped me up (since I kept on trying to aim with my right and move with my left). Left handed gamers are at no where near the same disadvantage since they should already be use to moving with the left and aiming with the right.

Seriously, stylus aiming is nowhere near as demanding as writing. It's a very ambidextrous skill.

Sorry dude, Kid Icarus is a chore to play for me and I'm not a 'freak' left hander I do most things 'right handed'.

VOOK

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Isn't this out tomorrow? Where are the pictures of the lines?

It's 10pm the night before... no lines yet.

Plus most stores don't have any non-preorder stock

Yeah most people aren't going to line up until after the last trains at the earliest probably.

I am tempted to go but I am afraid it won't work like it did for the Lite launch where they gave us tickets after waiting for a couple of hours and let us go wander through the city until like 7 AM. Only actually waited for 4 hours or so.

dallow_bg said:
Sweet. Bring on the region unlock.

I'm hoping that this takes a good long while, or that it's going to be a fairly complex thing for the average user to do. Anything that puts off the casual pirates but is still achievable is fine by me.

Luigiv

VOOK said:
Sorry dude, Kid Icarus is a chore to play for me and I'm not a 'freak' left hander I do most things 'right handed'.
Oh well, there goes that theory (I guess mixing swipes and scribbles is harder then just plain scribbling).

In other news are you still going to the Carousel event tomorrow? I'm going to be going with some friends at 12, so if you're heading down at a similar time we can awkwardly greet each other and stuff.

I'll be the brown guy hanging around with the creepy redhead dude in this photo.

Taker666

Mailenstein said:
Looks like Nintendo did a so-so job on blocking flashcards. The icon shows up in the menu, but it won't boot. I guess that's just a matter of time ugh... Oh my :/...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=revAXc2d514

Flashcards which play normal DS software/homebrew were always going to fairly easy to create IMO. I assumed that would be cracked within a couple of days.

3DS exclusive stuff may be a whole different ball game.

Since Kid Icarus is shown up...I had trouble...no styluss and I couldn't figure out dodge using the buttons controls...plus the camera movement being too slow using the R dutton.

Mailenstein said:
Looks like Nintendo did a so-so job on blocking flashcards. The icon shows up in the menu, but it won't boot. I guess that's just a matter of time ugh... Oh my :/...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=revAXc2d514
What so-so about this? It checks the permissions on trying to run rather than first access. I don't think 3DS games have a large banner that a payload of sorts can be inserted (Wii Freeloader, Bannerbomb) so its sufficient.

I wonder if this means using a US game on a Japanese system will show the menu icon this time? Then go "this cannot be launched". Or does it so that on DSi?

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Isn't this out tomorrow? Where are the pictures of the lines?
A lot of places have said "If you don't have a pre-order don't bother, we only have enough for pre-orders".

Oh regarding flashcards, Nintendo will be keeping the hatch shut on DS mode flashcarts or homebrew for as long as they can. I seem to remember with the DS you can launch DS games from the GBA slot and I think even when in GBA mode. The 3DS is not the Wii where Gamecube mode has the Wii stuff disabled as we see the 3DS menu running when DS games are palyed.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Are any j-gaffers in Osaka lining up tonight or tomorrow?
i have a preorder at bic, so probably no lining up required, but i'll head down at 9.30 or so. i have to set off for work in nara by 12.30, so that should give me time to get home and charge the thing for my commute...

Luigiv

Starwolf_UK said:
Since Kid Icarus is shown up...I had trouble...no styluss and I couldn't figure out dodge using the buttons controls...plus the camera movement being too slow using the R dutton.
To turn the camera quickly, you need to quickly swipe. The speed of your swipe determines how far the camera will turn (apparently you can also stop the camera by tapping the touch screen in mid swing though I was unable to pull this off myself).

Dodging is done by double tapping the circle pad just as an attack is about to hit.

Desiato

Can't wait for tomorrow. I'm meeting my gf's mom for lunch for the first time tomorrow though, so that'll eat into my 3DS time. >_<

VOOK said:
most stores don't have any non-preorder stock
bu bu bu the 3DS is only rank 63 and 55 on amazon.co.jp and it is still in stock. there is no hype for it. everyone thinks it's just a DS with 3D graphics and and and

amazon sales ranks don't mean shit, espescially on hardware launching at the weekend.

Kuran said:
My specific points of complaints are the power-button that looks out of place with its square design, and the angular design of the hinges, which might be because previous hinge designs kept cracking? But this needed a lot more polish and care.. can't wait to see the 3DS Lite in two years.
If you read Iwata Asks, they go into a lot of detail about the hinges. The hinges had to be over designed because they are the weakest point in the system, kept breaking in early test sytems when dropped, and have three cables going through them connecting the top screen to the bottom half of the system where all the electronics are.

And come on, it's most definitely trolling if you are saying the fact that the power button is square makes the system bad and not worth buying.

Top Bottom