• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

Cipherr

Gravijah said:
But I do that with my regular charger...

Couldn't you just leave it there on a regular charger?

Just doesnt happen. I have a cordless landline home phone, and a smartphone with a wall charger. We always put the cordless on the charger for some reason, our cells though? Sometimes we cant even find the goddamn cords. Its a minor difference, but its a difference.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
donkey show said:
Got 5 hours 15 minutes, give or take, this time. Again, that's with occasional 3D slider gameplay, about 45 minutes of Wi-Fi, brightness 1, power save off, 30 minutes or so of AR play.
If you are willing, see how long it will play a normal DS game. Try something simple like Advance Wars, then some 3D game like FFIII.

Fuck now that I have it in my hand the hype is overwhelming me. The 3D really is fucking cool!

I gotta make sure I don't pull a dcharlie and buy the entire launch lineup!

Once I run the initial battery charge down and put it on charge I am gonna head out to buy 1-2 games if I can find any.

ombz

BudokaiMR2 said:
Fuck now that I have it in my hand the hype is overwhelming me. The 3D really is fucking cool!

Once I run the initial battery charge down and put it on charge I am gonna head out to buy 1-2 games if I can find any.
What game(s) did you get?

Izayoi

Banned
CurseoftheGods said:
Does SSF4 have 3D effects during the standard perspective?
Yes. I think donkey show likened it to looking at a diorama.'

Bii said:
For the 3DS owners, does the 3DS's Activity Log keep track of DS games you've played?
This is a fantastic question.

Boney

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:

You know that is your destiny

So who here has played Ridge Racer? I;m oddly psyched for it, regardless of the 10 sec load times.

Also, has anyone tried to install their games? I read you could.

mclem said:
I can state that I do. The charger is underneath my bed, it's a trivial process to just plug myself in before I settle down.

Also, and probably significantly, I use my DS alarm to wake me up. So I think consciously of the DS before I go to sleep.
But there you go, you only do it once a day, when you are settling into bed. It's too much of a hassle to find the end of the cable on the floor, pick it up and plug it into the device whenever you just stop using the game system or arrive home. Compare that with just setting it in a cradle - FAR easier and less of a hassle.

Boney said:
I call your bluff

IDK about Gravijah, but my PSP used to be on the charger all the time when it was home, as is my phone. It's just a habit of mine with my portable toys, a cradle wouldn't make any difference for me.

Stylo

mclem said:
Surely not? I always thought headphones required significantly less power to run than speakers?

I should point out that I'm genuinely not sure, now I've said that, but it had always been my perception.

Can someone confirm this?

BooJoh

I'm going to buy a spare docking cradle for every room in my house so it'll always be convenient to set my 3DS down on one when I'm not using it.

Ok, not really. But I do think it'll be more convenient with a dock. As it is, I only plug in my DSi or PSP when they hit low charge or at night when I'm going out the next day.

mandiller

Snytbaggen said:
Is this the brightest or dimmest setting?

1 is the dimmest setting and it is pretty dim if you ask me. I fiddled with the bightness on a demo 3DS a few days ago and 3, 4, and 5 are acceptable for normal play I think. 1 would annoy me too much.

Gravijah

mandiller said:
1 is the dimmest setting and it is pretty dim if you ask me. I fiddled with the bightness on a demo 3DS a few days ago and 3, 4, and 5 are acceptable for normal play I think. 1 would annoy me too much.

Is it dimmer than the DSL dimmest?

Gravijah said:
Ah, cool. That's what I usually use.

CmQ3v.png

Is pilotwings and steel driver coming out within the next dew weeks in Japan? before the Euro/American launch.

I need more impressions and game length for those two.

Vanille

Steel Diver is being released on March 17, but they've yet to announce a date for Pilotwings, so it doesn't look like we'll get impressions before the western launch.

ElFly

M3d10n said:
And here lies the problem. The PS3 has five times more RAM than the Wii and a God-knows-how-much faster CPU, yet the browser performance doesn't follow.

Also, NetFront on the 3DS should perform similar to how it does on PSP. Maybe even worse, since on the PSP the browser can use the extra RAM of the later PSP revisions, while on the 3DS it will most likely only access 32MBs since it's meant to be open while playing a game.

This is a big bummer. Opera would really fly on the 3DS.

The extra RAM is used for the multiple windows, which opera couldn't pull out on the Wii, and probably wouldn't either on the 3DS.

I dunno how the extra processor power benefits it, though. Without a lot of good flash support in either, it's hard to say it really benefits either browser.

The M.O.B

A few things I want to add about this battery life discussion.

-At night, Any brightness above 1 or 2 hurts my eyes. And unless I'm directly in the sunlight I will never use the brightness setting.

-I haven't had a recent portable device that lasted more than 3 hours playing games.(Ipod touch, PSP) , and I lived with that so being able to get 3-5 is good enough for me. And Wi-fi is a huge battery killer on the iPod, playing words with friends online may get you 2:30 tops.

-Also the cradle is a much needed feature, my iPod touch and PSP could have used one. (yes i know you can buy one separately)

-3D probably will be a one time thing for me, I will see how the game looks in 3D but when I start to get into it, I will probably switch it off unless the 3D is really that impressive.

I'm uploading some Face Raiders gameplay I took in the backyard in a bit. =)

The only game so far I think deserves 3D all the time is Nintendogs + Cats from my experience. I haven't tried Pilotwings yet, so I don't know. You can even get by without 3D on in the over the shoulder mode for SSFIV.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I love how you can use that analog nub for DS games.

Hopefully it will make Mario 64 a little better to control.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
SF4 is pretty awesome. Graphically feels very similar to the real thing even if diehards will tell you otherwise. Controls nicely too although I've never been a fan of the DS d-pad.

So is anyone playing this in the U.S.? Do we know yet if online play is IP blocked?

Also, the 3D camera is great fun.

Battery life is a bummer so far.

Showmeyamoves said:

It won't, unless you just prefer the feel of the Circle Pad. The 3DS treats the Circle Pad just as if it were a D-Pad when playing DS games, 8-directions and all.

Izayoi

Banned
donkey show said:
I'm uploading some Face Raiders gameplay I took in the backyard in a bit. =)

The only game so far I think deserves 3D all the time is Nintendogs + Cats from my experience. I haven't tried Pilotwings yet, so I don't know. You can even get by without 3D on in the over the shoulder mode for SSFIV.
I love you again.

Showmeyamoves said:

You're going to love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaI7wO4CxLY&hd=1

^ =)

chespace said:
SF4 is pretty awesome. Graphically feels very similar to the real thing even if diehards will tell you otherwise. Controls nicely too although I've never been a fan of the DS d-pad.

So is anyone playing this in the U.S.? Do we know yet if online play is IP blocked?

Also, the 3D camera is great fun.

Battery life is a bummer so far.
It isn't IP blocked since I've been playing random peeps from JP over here from So Cal. I'll PM you my Friend Code.

sfog

Reposting from about 4 pages back, any confirmation?:

Is there any eShop access at all yet (even just for DSiWare)? Or is it going to be totally unavailable until May?

It just seemed like some of the pre-release news was conflicting regarding it.

sfog said:
Reposting from about 4 pages back, any confirmation?:

Is there any eShop access at all yet (even just for DSiWare)? Or is it going to be totally unavailable until May?

It just seemed like some of the pre-release news was conflicting regarding it.
Nothing yet.

chespace

donkey show said:
^ =)

It isn't IP blocked since I've been playing random peeps from JP over here from So Cal. I'll PM you my Friend Code.

Cool. I will be in Tokyo for another couple days but when I'm back in the States I'll add you.

I may need a tutorial on how to set up friends and all that since the menus are all in Japanese and I don't feel like bothering my wife. :)

I'd love to see Super Mario 64 3D, I wonder how close it'd be to Sunshine? Probably merely in between.

No one has said much about Ridge Racer. :(

Particularly about the framerate.

Effect

friskykillface said:
Is pilotwings and steel driver coming out within the next dew weeks in Japan? before the Euro/American launch.

I need more impressions and game length for those two.
Same. I want to get one of these two but can't decide and would like to know more about them content wise. Nintendogs isn't on my list. Already have a dog and a cat and they are more then enough. Don't need fake ones. :) Maybe when they pass on but not now.

chespace said:
Cool. I will be in Tokyo for another couple days but when I'm back in the States I'll add you.

I may need a tutorial on how to set up friends and all that since the menus are all in Japanese and I don't feel like bothering my wife. :)
I know how you feel, man. I was totally pestering my wife to translate everything, too!

It's pretty easy though. You press the smiley face on the top bar of the home menu. When it loads up, hit the top right selection where it has a + next to a smiley face. Pick the second choice that loads and the friend's code entry will pop up.

I'll be looking forward to some matches when you get back!

redbarchetta said:
That's a bit misleading; it's entirely possible to run in circles using the d-pad as well; the only thing the circle pad might enhance is your ability to time it better, since you don't have to press it in discreet directions like with the d-pad.

Mario 64 DS is still going to control like a dog.

Does that mean Nintendogs controls like Mario 64 DS? :p

Vanille

Hero of Legend said:
I'd love to see Super Mario 64 3D, I wonder how close it'd be to Sunshine? Probably merely in between.

Same. I'd much rather have another SM64 remake than OoT. The game was wasted on the DS.

chespace

Question for those who have a 3DS: Is there a way to improve or change the quality of the captured images? 640x480 isn't going to cut it in this day and age even if it's really cool that I now have a 3D camera and am going nuts shooting pics of my baby boy.

Top Bottom