• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

chespace said:
Question for those who have a 3DS: Is there a way to improve or change the quality of the captured images? 640x480 isn't going to cut it in this day and age even if it's really cool that I now have a 3D camera and am going nuts shooting pics of my baby boy.

The resolution tops out at 640×480.

Engadget has high quality pictures of the "Blue" and Black side by side. Still loving me some slick ass black.

nintendo3ds005.jpg

nintendo3ds000.jpg

Anth0ny

From The Dust said:
I'd rather take Majora's mask over either of those

Of course. It's the greatest game ever made.

But OOT is the second greatest, and Mario 64 is the 6th greatest, so I'm not complaining =)

Neiteio

Every purchase of OoT 3D is a vote in favor of Majora's Mask getting the same treatment. It is your sacred duty to ensure a version of MM brought up to modern-day standards. Ergo, buy OoT. :p

Well, just took the plunge and preordered Pilotwings Resort, Steel Diver and SSFIV at Amazon, where I also preordered the Cosmo Black 3DS. I never played Wii Fly in Wii Sports Resort, so I'm looking forward to exploring the expanded Wuhu Island; the idea of hitting up thermals in the hang glider at night gives me cool Birdman vibes (PW64). Plus, there are interactive dioramas to collect, which entertains the collector in me. ;)

Steel Diver looks like an immersive simulation -- the underwater volcanos and periscope battles in stormy seas look awesome -- and while I own both console versions of SFIV, the portability, combo shortcuts, over-the-shoulder view, collectible figures and 3D make it a buy for me. :)

What I'm looking forward to most, though, are the AR Games. I love how in Target Shooting (is that what it's called?), a large swathe of the real-life table surface flips when it transitions to the second level. It's also neat to see the ground bulging as the dragon statue pushes through. I think that'll blow people's minds... I've yet to see the billiards/mini-golf, or the shark portion of fishing. It's cool, though, that you can display dozens of Miis and/or videogame characters with the Mii Viewer and Star Viewer. I previously thought you could only pose one character at a time.

Between the 3DS, three games, Pokemon Black and MvC3, my wallet am cry... But it's an exciting time to be a gamer. :)

donkey show said:
And I just hit the battery halfway mark after playing a couple online matches. That's nearly 4 hours now. ^^

Fuck yeah!

donkey show said:
Got 5 hours 15 minutes, give or take, this time. Again, that's with occasional 3D slider gameplay, about 45 minutes of Wi-Fi, brightness 1, power save off, 30 minutes or so of AR play.

Ah fuck...

3DSlite it is then.

I am kinda impressed that it actually came with a 2GB SD card. Didn't expect that. I know prices have gone down but what did we originally get with the PSP? A 64 mb or something? lol

Cow Mengde said:
Fuck yeah!

Ah fuck...

3DSlite it is then.

Maybe an XL version.
A Lite version would likely have a worse battery life.
It needs a bigger battery because the same size one isn't going to be better.

BudokaiMR2 said:
I am kinda impressed that it actually came with a 2GB SD card. Didn't expect that. I know prices have gone down but what did we originally get with the PSP? A 64 mb or something? lol

And it wasn't even an SD card; it was a Memory Stick POS.

BudokaiMR2 said:
My PSP (3000) came with a 1 gig micro sd card (it was micro sd right?).

While 640x480 is not much for use as a standard camera, it is absolutely sufficient for 3D pictures at this point in time. Almost nobody has hardware that can display 3D images, and as a result the 3DS itself is probably going to be the best viewing method for 95% of people. Even on a high resolution monitor, a 1280x480 image is murder to try the cross-eye method on.

If you've got a big awesome 3D TV/monitor though, I can understand why you'd want better. You're an outlier, that's all.

Why do I get the feeling that people that don't like the battery life don't out of principle and value rather than practicality???

I guess I only speak for myself as I will likely use the 3D a lot but 3 hours is more than enough, especially if it ruins my eyes.

my local import store sell japanese 3DS for Rp4,500,000. that's around US $500. there's no chance for me to buy one until the price stabilizes

backlot

BudokaiMR2 said:
I think it was 32 mb actually. I remember having to pay around $100 for a 1GB pro duo stick back when they first came out. I'm glad Nintendo decided to go with a standard type of SD card.

Izayoi

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
Engadget has high quality pictures of the "Blue" and Black side by side. Still loving me some slick ass black.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/02/nintendo3ds005.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/02/nintendo3ds000.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
If there's one thing that can be established, it's that blue looks different in ever single video and picture.

I just don't understand.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w18qZ1baBZI&hd=1&t=3m35s[/url]

redbarchetta said:
Nope, memory stick again.
ah you're right, memory stick pro duo, and it was 512mb not a gig, lol.
Izayoi said:
If there's one thing that can be established, it's that blue looks different in ever single video and picture.

I just don't understand.
haha yeah that's why I put it in quotes, don't know what that shit is supposed to be.

- J - D -

UncleSporky said:
While 640x480 is not much for use as a standard camera, it is absolutely sufficient for 3D pictures at this point in time. Almost nobody has hardware that can display 3D images, and as a result the 3DS itself is probably going to be the best viewing method for 95% of people. Even on a high resolution monitor, a 1280x480 image is murder to try the cross-eye method on.

If you've got a big awesome 3D TV/monitor though, I can understand why you'd want better. You're an outlier, that's all.

This is true, and by the time 3D TVs and monitor reach a healthy install base, Nintendo will probably swing in with the 3rd 3DS hardware revision featuring better quality cameras.

donkey show said:
Here's some Face Raiders gameplay I took today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvFI0od6dpI

Kt9NJ.jpg

That's pretty awesome for a little built in game.

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
This is true, and by the time 3D TVs and monitor reach a healthy install base, Nintendo will probably swing in with the 3rd 3DS hardware revision featuring better quality cameras.

Doubtful.
There's a reason that these cameras, even the EyeToy for the PS3 are all so low resolution.
It takes a hell of a lot less processing power to be able to use them.

Truth101

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:

nintendo3ds005.jpg

The blue looks so sexy, every time I see it I want it more.

Edit:

Face Raiders actually looks pretty fun.

Zane

How dumb can Kotaku be? Sorry if this has been posted.

http://kotaku.com/#!5771043/lets-see-if-ds-games-look-better-on-the-3ds

This is hardly scientific. In fact, it's not scientific at all. But since the 3DS has better screens, then DS games should look better on them, no?

That's exactly what I tried to find out! I'm comparing how the New Super Mario Bros. looks on the DSi XL and how it looks on the 3DS.

There are several things to contend with. Obviously, the DSi XL has a bigger screen, but it is only capable of 16-bit color. The 3DS has a smaller screen, but a higher pixel count and is capable of showing more color.

So even if the difference is slight (it is), the 3DS should give your DS games an oh-so subtle coat of new paint. Good news to those who are looking for games to hold them over while they wait for the bigger, yet unreleased 3DS title.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
UncleSporky said:

Less about viewing in true 3D on a real monitor and more about lenticular prints and animated GIFs.

http://www.start3d.com/

Even on the 3DS, the 3D photos look kinda shitty and low-res.

3D digicams are becoming more and more common and MPO formats have been around for a while.

BudokaiMR2 said:

2GB SD card probably cost Nintendo a buck.

5 hours for occasional 3D, wifi, etc. is good enough for me. I don't play more than an hour or so. and I won't have use for wifi on the go, so I should get ~6 hours

Truth101 said:
The blue looks so sexy, every time I see it I want it more.

Edit:

Face Raiders actually looks pretty fun.

Wow the white balance in those pictues is way off. I think it actually makes both look worse, especially blue compared to some of the shots that have been shown recently from the launch

Zane said:

Oh good god, are there comments slamming that notion?

Zane said:

Technically the "more colors" thing could be accurate in one respect: when the 3DS does its resizing on the DS games, the interpolated colors will look better/more accurate.

But that's counterbalanced by the fact that the image is stretched to begin with. It doesn't really bother me but it's essentially a fact that DS games played on a 3DS will have a (slightly) inferior image quality compared to DS. Although I suppose the blur could provide a much-needed coat of free antialiasing on polygonal games?

LumpOfCole said:
The blue looks sexier on the outside, but the two-tone inside just throws me off too much. WHAT DO?

Buy both.

Use the blue one for when you go to pick up the system, then after picking it up and making an opening gesture in the air, grab the black one that is already opened up and play some games.

Zane

UncleSporky said:
Technically the "more colors" thing could be accurate in one respect: when the 3DS does its resizing on the DS games, the interpolated colors will look better/more accurate.

But that's counterbalanced by the fact that the image is stretched to begin with. It doesn't really bother me but it's essentially a fact that DS games played on a 3DS will have a (slightly) inferior image quality compared to DS. Although I suppose the blur could provide a much-needed coat of free antialiasing on polygonal games?

Yeah, the blurring stuff is what I'm referring to. Shit just doesn't look good.

rpmurphy

Truth101 said:
Straight from Nintendo.
One of the fun things about DSi Sound was being able to change pitch and speed of whatever sound or music you're playing on the fly in one of the play options. It's a really fun little music app feature that I don't think I had on any other portable music device.

Izayoi

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Buy both.

Use the blue one for when you go to pick up the system, then after picking it up and making an opening gesture in the air, grab the black one that is already opened up and play some games.
That's...

That's BRILLIANT.

angelfly

I didn't plan on importing until late Spring when Love Plus hits but I might actually pull the trigger early. PA still seems to have units in stock and I'm considering picking it up with SSFIV and Sengoku Musou.

2 questions:

1. I don't really have any DS games that could benefit from the Analog stick, do we have any (more then one sentence) Impresions of old ds games played with the analog?

2. I picked up Samurai warros and lordy is the story complicated, the first misson just throws tens of random historical names and places at you and expects you to understand them immeditaly, Tried to actually work things out but I was spending three times as much reviewing history lessons as I was playing the game.

Anybody who isn't a native speaker of Japanese actually brought the game and gone through the story? Can't imagine someone understanding that story without a semester or two of Japanese Historical history.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
donkey show said:
I really couldn't tell you the answer to that. Sorry!

What do you want to know exactly? It's SSFIV. =P

Yeah, SSFIV 3D edition is pretty much like the console versions so if you enjoy those, you'll enjoy this one. Using the touch screen for certain moves does give a decent advantage to the player if their execution isn't up to par. It looks like there is a Lite and Pro version of the touchscreen macros. I'll try to go more in-depth with that function later on today.

The smaller d-pad takes awhile to get used to as I play on a stick, but it works. Don't like using the slide pad at all for it though. Challenge mode is also in there as well.

Been playing online recently and its just as good or as bad as you'd expect from P2P on the console versions as well. Playing in the over-the-shoulder mode is a nice diversion from the rest of the game, but it doesn't take away from the experience at all. There are also figures to collect as well, so that'll add to the replay value if you're a collection whore.

I can't really comment on the StreetPass stuff as I doubt anyone in the 5-10 mile radius of me here in the Los Angeles area has a 3DS as well. Awesome stuff nonetheless. When you're playing with 3D on, it looks like you're playing with a moving diorama.

Let me know if you want to know more stuff. =)

And I just hit the battery halfway mark after playing a couple online matches. That's nearly 4 hours now. ^^
What about the online modes? Apparently, it's very complete. On-par with the consoles version.

Don't know if this was posted, but regarding Nintendogs, someone on SomethingAwful is saying that not only does it allow you to put the dogs "in the real world" with the AR function, but you can also use the character cards to make the dogs wear accessories.

mtPgX.jpg

fake edit: Destructoid has it up as well.

Joime.jpg

C80a0.jpg
lt02R.jpg
mWwh3.jpg

3BIBk.jpg

KWqrF.jpg

Mqfj8.jpg

NeUR1.jpg

Top Bottom