• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

sprsk said:
This QR code stuff is pretty awesome. It's so fast.

sen5hs.gif

whaat how do you make your own QR?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Luigiv said:
No need. The bottom screen is approximately the same size as a DS phat/lite, so you can already see.
Yeah, on the DS it's 3 inches, but the size of the display area of 1:1 DS games on the 3DS? no idea.

Ramenman

Jinfash said:
You think asking for industry standards (for many, many years) is being "greedy"? Ok :lol

I don't know about the "greedy" part, but industry standards ? How many handheld systems have provided video playback in the last ten years ? I only know of the PSP.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
sprsk said:
It's built in to the mii channel along with the ability to read other QR codes and make the mii pics.

I saw this in the menu system two weeks ago, I should have said something right?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
EatChildren said:
Wait Amir0x pre-ordered Ridge Racer? After everything we've already been through?

dponfb70v.gif
lol

I can't bring myself to pre-order with the technical issues. If the game is competent, I will consider it though. Any impressions so far?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man, the AR stuff will be great to work with. I may not have anything pre-ordered anymore but damn if the stuff shown doesn't look great. The card thing is gonna make them a lot of money if they can keep making more of them. I won't really buy them but it's smart business.

Smiles and Cries said:
does these smaller ones work?

SAVED ALL

They didn't work for me.

MNC said:
Have Friend Lists been decyphered yet? System wide or game wide? Any full system impressions?

I haven't bothered doing any data analysis, myself. I'm sure someone probably has. Friend Codes are used system-wide. The system is getting thumbs-up
(and headaches)
so far, despite there not being much in terms of games yet.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
mrklaw said:
The best part is that I bet most games are targeted to support 3D. Whereas in theory they could have had better assets if targeted for 2D. So even if you play solely in 2D you won't be getting the best the system could offer you. It might be too much to hope that devs optimise for both modes. Maybe the silver lining is some games will be faster (60fps) in 2D mode
SF4 is optimized for 2D, it's a feature you can activate in the game options (different from disabling 3D via the slider). Gamekult mentioned it in their review.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ramenman said:
I don't know about the "greedy" part, but industry standards ? How many handheld systems have provided video playback in the last ten years ? I only know of the PSP.
Almost every portable device?

got my first surechigai buddy this evening! a guy called yuichi who is enjoying professor layton.

i like the surechigai hiroba metagames, wonder how much content there is in each...i got a mario hat and some cat ears for my mii from surechigai no dentetsu.

Taker666

Any chance of someone uploading in game "cross eye" 3D pairs from Nintendogs+cats? Pleeeasee.

I believe you can take photo's in game.

Would be nice to see 3D screens from some purely polygon based gameplay as opposed to just the augmented reality ones.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Can you import more than one mii via QR-Code at once ? And how fast is it in general ?

Miyamotos Mii World Domination plan could succeed after all.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nickovic
οἱ ἄλλοι ἀδελφοί ὑμῶν
οὐκ ἔχετε φθονεῖν

(Today, 02:19 PM)

OK, which admin gave tags with Ancient Greek? Second I 've seen.

cw_sasuke said:
Can you import more than one mii via QR-Code at once ? And how fast is it in general ?

Miyamotos Mii World Domination plan could succeed after all.

One at a time. Once it picks up the code, you see the character pop onto the screen in like 3 seconds.

Nickovic said:
So when you scan one of these QR codes does it add the mii to your friends list? or just to your mii plaza?

Just your Mii Plaza Studio. The friends list is for real people. The Mii Plaza is for people you've met via StreetPass.

Chris1964 said:
Nickovic
οἱ ἄλλοι ἀδελφοί ὑμῶν
οὐκ ἔχετε φθονεῖν

(Today, 02:19 PM)

OK, which admin gave tags with Ancient Greek? Second I 've seen.

Probably Dragona, GAF rest her soul.

john tv

js0llh.jpg

Just the first Mii I threw together; everyone knows the only way to get a legit Mii is to have someone else make it for you. But for now...this is mine!

PS sprsk totally stole my hair.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
1:1 DS trick reminds me of the "play SNES VC titles without the shitty filter" trick using the Wiimote+Nunchuck

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
john tv said:
js0llh.jpg

Just the first Mii I threw together; everyone knows the only way to get a legit Mii is to have someone else make it for you. But for now...this is mine!

PS sprsk totally stole my hair.

Whatever dude, your hair is spiked, mine is in a perpetual state of "just woke up what the fuck is going on with your head, man"

Looking at these pics of DS games on 3DS, it makes me certain I will be keeping my regular DS games on my XL. Not keen on the unstretched version at all, and even enlarged the top screen would annoy me immensely with the side borders.

dvolovets

Android18a said:
Looking at these pics of DS games on 3DS, it makes me certain I will be keeping my regular DS games on my XL. Not keen on the unstretched version at all, and even enlarged the top screen would annoy me immensely with the side borders.
Same here. As someone who thought that the original DS screens were too small, there's no way in hell I'm playing DS games on an even smaller display.

neo2046

Pureauthor said:
I don't suppose anyone's played Samurai Warriors Chronicle yet? Any impressions?

according to the Japanese at 2ch
Samurai Warriors Chronicle is surprisingly good and fun
lots of them recommend the title as the 3rd must have title except SF43D and Nintendogs

nli10

Pureauthor said:
I don't suppose anyone's played Samurai Warriors Chronicle yet? Any impressions?

It was great in Amsterdam, it'll be even greater now.

I'd be interested to see what the core Warriors players make of it, but it's certainly got all the ingredients to be a hit from what I played.

That & the X-com game are my only launch titles.

M3d10n

Gahiggidy said:
Well, how about a detective game where you move in closer to examine objects? Like reading an inscription on the back of a watch.

But, my original idea was more for future 3D screens, that might be able to track the user's eyes and position to let you view the image at wider angles to the screen and create a more accurate 3D effect.
One the biggest problems with stereo 3D is that it is incomplete. Stereo vision is only part of the information the brain uses to perceive depth: parallax movement is probably equally as important.

With stereo 3D (with and without glasses), a static 3D image does not change when the viewer moves his head, while in real life (and in true holograms) even the slightest movement causes the image to change (enough so you can perceive the distance between objects even with only one eye).

Adding a bit of headtracking to a stereo 3D game would probably boost the 3D effect and maybe even make it easier on the eyes.

Zzoram

M3d10n said:
One the biggest problems with stereo 3D is that it is incomplete. Stereo vision is only part of the information the brain uses to perceive depth: parallax movement is probably equally as important.

With stereo 3D (with and without glasses), a static 3D image does not change when the viewer moves his head, while in real life (and in true holograms) even the slightest movement causes the image to change.

Adding a bit of headtracking to a stereo 3D game would probably boost the 3D effect and maybe even make it easier on the eyes.

Is that a possible upgrade for the 3DS rev2, or is it in the realm of 4DS?

M3d10n said:

With stereo 3D (with and without glasses), a static 3D image does not change when the viewer moves his head, while in real life (and in true holograms) even the slightest movement causes the image to change.

Unfortunately, this screen has a set viewing angle and doesn't change. It would be a nice feature for the successor to the 3DS.

nli10

From The Dust said:
wont be around until May. I hope they announce some more games for it right before it launches

E3 should be a case of "here are some great new features you can use from today" and then the games will come at the end to grab new users too.

Top Bottom