• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

M3d10n

Zzoram said:
Is that a possible upgrade for the 3DS rev2, or is it in the realm of 4DS?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUC5JJCxx5k

Cheesemeister said:
Unfortunately, this screen has a set viewing angle and doesn't change. It would be a nice feature for the successor to the 3DS.
Yeah, but the screen does have a small tolerance for horizontal movement, and the perspective would react to minute involuntary head movements within the sweet spot. Also, having the in-game perspective react to your head movement would probably lessen the impact of missing the sweet spot AND the perspective could react to vertical movement, boosting the depth perception.

I'm sure some dev will experiment with this.

Linkzg said:
awesome

(I have that game too, btw. It's fun! Boomerang Snakes all the time! how is that even legal in tennis?
75% of that shit in Prince of Tennis is ridiculous. Still, probably one of my fave tennis games of all time.

Going snowbarding now with the 3DS. Hope it survives, heh.

Espiox

Question to those with a 3DS. Is it possible to view .MPO photos on your SD card that were taken a different 3DS or downloaded off the internet? I haven't seen this confirmed yet.

Disguises

M3d10n said:
One the biggest problems with stereo 3D is that it is incomplete. Stereo vision is only part of the information the brain uses to perceive depth: parallax movement is probably equally as important.

With stereo 3D (with and without glasses), a static 3D image does not change when the viewer moves his head, while in real life (and in true holograms) even the slightest movement causes the image to change (enough so you can perceive the distance between objects even with only one eye).

Adding a bit of headtracking to a stereo 3D game would probably boost the 3D effect and maybe even make it easier on the eyes.
I think it helps in this situation, since it's a handheld - you wouldn't be moving your head much anyway. I see what you mean and I'm sure technology will advance to allow this kind of image manipulation, but from what I've seen - the technology of the 3DS seems to work pretty damn well due to the fact that you wouldn't be moving your head too much :)
M3d10n said:

Yeah, but the screen does have a small tolerance for horizontal movement, and the perspective would react to minute involuntary head movements within the sweet spot. Also, having the in-game perspective react to your head movement would probably lessen the impact of missing the sweet spot AND the perspective could react to vertical movement, boosting the depth perception.

Ah right - so you're suggesting it may be possible to fuse the technologies of Lookley's line up/tales in a hidden box and the 3DS to create this sort of effect? Sounds possible...

Espiox said:
Question to those with a 3DS. Is it possible to view .MPO photos on your SD card that were taken a different 3DS or downloaded off the internet? I haven't seen this confirmed yet.
I'm thinking it may work the same as DSi - it will only display pictures taken on a 3DS (any 3DS), not from another source (digital camera). Would love for someone to prove me wrong though :)

neo2046

9wfzM.jpg

rpmurphy

Espiox said:
My guess would be they'd have to be originally taken on a 3DS and remain unmodified. Someone should test this out.

M3d10n said:

No, there really isn't any room to move your head before you start seeing cross-talk. Maybe less than an inch.

Hero of Legend said:
Wait, are those printed copies of the cards? o_O

I'll freak the fuck out when I see a giant Mario on my bed. o_O

Just wait 'til the Love Plus crowd gets ahold of this.

Hero of Legend said:
Wait, are those printed copies of the cards? o_O

I'll freak the fuck out when I see a giant Mario on my bed. o_O

Imagine the pranks that will be played. your friend is sleeping, take a pick with Mario sleeping with him. sounds like good times

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
From The Dust said:
I thought it would work! oh man AR Pokemon needs to happen!

All Pokemon 3DS needs to do is allow people to battle via an AR card. Sit the card down, have the Pokemon 3D models pop up, and have them duke it out Pokemon Stadium style. It would work for single player, and it would work fine for multiplayer.

Espiox said:

Someone can try and rename this file to .mpo and put it in the photo folder of their 3DS' SD card... Does it work?

124a46f118cb.JPG

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Cheesemeister said:

Just wait 'til the Love Plus crowd gets ahold of this.
Some enterprising peripheral maker needs to make a helmet/brace to secure the 3DS in front of the player's face to give them their very own hands-free "POV" experience.

neo2046 said:
according to the Japanese at 2ch
Samurai Warriors Chronicle is surprisingly good and fun
lots of them recommend the title as the 3rd must have title except SF43D and Nintendogs

Yeah, it's good fun, but the story is utterly indechiperable for me.

My first samurai warriors, my knowldege of Japanese history is incredibly poor and this basically just seems to be like a greatest hits of Japanese Generals thourghout history, requring you to previously know who all of these generals and places are before hand(it does have an encylopedia, but yeah...)

The game though has gone in all the right directions musou series needs to go, exp, multiple-generals, non-stop action etc.

Manmedaz

Cheesemeister said:
Someone can try and rename this file to .mpo and put it in the photo folder of their 3DS' SD card... Does it work?

YyVOM.jpg

Not working, apparently you can't view pictures that weren't taken with your own 3DS. Maybe you can somehow exchange them locally though...

Just as with DSi, someone will need to crack the image format, whatever special identifiers or compression they use to flag the image as being viewable on the device.

Manmedaz said:
Not working, apparently you can't view pictures that weren't taken with your own 3DS. Maybe you can somehow exchange them locally though...

Would you mind posting a .mpo file from your 3DS so I can compare the file contents?

Izayoi

Banned
I'm gone for a few hours and there's 400 more posts?

God damnit, guys.

Confirmed tons of rows, the Mii codes, finally pool footage, DS 1:1... Damn.

Now all we need is for it to launch outside of Japan.

Manmedaz

Cheesemeister said:
Would you mind posting a .mpo file from your 3DS so I can compare the file contents?

Maybe it didn't work because of the name of the file... or maybe it was changed by the image hoster.

Also, how do you get 1:1 for DS games on the 3DS ? Is there an option somewhere ?

Merovin

EatChildren said:
All Pokemon 3DS needs to do is allow people to battle via an AR card. Sit the card down, have the Pokemon 3D models pop up, and have them duke it out Pokemon Stadium style. It would work for single player, and it would work fine for multiplayer.

Dear god, this needs to happen!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MORE CROSS EYE PICTURES

MORE

MOAR

Cranzor

So if you can enlarge the card and make a bigger thing come up... what happens if you make a gigantic card and put it in your yard? Can you have a Mario godzilla?

Disguises

Cranzor said:
So if you can enlarge the card and make a bigger thing come up... what happens if you make a gigantic card and put it in your yard? Can you have a Mario godzilla?
I was thinking about something along the lines of this except in a football stadium or something :S. And yes - It should work.

Cranzor said:

You could reenact giant mode Melee matches!

Izayoi

Banned
I still can't get over the possibilities for Pokemon.

You better follow through on that TCG patent, Nintendo.

YOU BETTER FUCKING FOLLOW THROUGH.

Platy

Manmedaz said:
The name of your file is strange, why isn't it like my pic (HNI_00xx) ?

The host renamed the file, but the contents are unaltered. Try renaming it to conform with the contents of your folder. Let me know if the JPG is necessary in order for it to show up.

Top Bottom