• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

Gravijah

AceBandage said:
Why is so much Japanese gaming news first posted on Middle Eastern sites?

haters gonna hate
NYPfI.jpg

mehdi_san

mt1200 said:
Does anyone know if the backwards compatibility is software based (emulation), or something like "native hardware based", because this feature catched my attention, and I wont be spending money in the 3ds to play old Ds games if the games run glitchy.
I don't know if it's hardware or software based, but I remember reading something disappointing about playing DS games on the 3DS. It was that the street pass function can't be used while playing DS games. Ni mii or nintendogs exchange, no SF4 combats etc.I think it's a real bummer because I was planning on catching up on my DS backlog on the 3DS, but now I'm not sure it's a good idea :(

mehdi_san

Litflynt912 said:
see, that is what I am worried about...the system, concept looks great and I can see big things...but that launch lineup sucks...and should I decide to skip the launch, is Nintendo going to pull a wii-like release schedule of consoles; or am I going to get eBay gouged...

Did you get a chance to have any interaction with the virtual console or games? (I notice super mario land tends to be the go to for the 3DS as of late)

that might be the deciding factor as to keep my reserve with Amazon
(sorry for the double post, but I can't double quote on the iPhone)
The units they have at the demo kiosks are not retail versions, unlike the demo event they had in Europe. The home menu wasn't available, so I couldn't try the camera, AR games, virtual console, etc. Fortunately they had more than one game, I tried Layton, Ridge Racer, SF4 and what is certainly the best game at launch: Dinosaurs 3D!!!
I checked the pamphlet, and it showed what features won't be available at launch: eshop, dsi shop, not even the Internet browser!! Also, the 3D TV shows distribution program doesn't even have a launch date, so I think it won't be in the same update than the others (may). That's it for me: no exciting launch games and many features are still missing. I'm gonna have to skip at launch :(

Boney

Banned
mehdi_san said:
I don't know if it's hardware or software based, but I remember reading something disappointing about playing DS games on the 3DS. It was that the street pass function can't be used while playing DS games. Ni mii or nintendogs exchange, no SF4 combats etc.I think it's a real bummer because I was planning on catching up on my DS backlog on the 3DS, but now I'm not sure it's a good idea :(
You won't have any problems unless you keep your DS game on sleep mode. If the cartridge is on, without playing, I assume there won't be any troubles.

Hmm Still on the fence about buying this. If there was even one game I was crazy about for launch I would probably be lining up like I did for DS Lite, but at this point I dunno if it's worth it.

Gonna call the local crappy store near me to see if they are even gonna get any. I doubt it but no one ever buys anything from that store so even if they get a few I could probably score one.

mehdi_san said:
(sorry for the double post, but I can't double quote on the iPhone)
The units they have at the demo kiosks are not retail versions, unlike the demo event they had in Europe. The home menu wasn't available, so I couldn't try the camera, AR games, virtual console, etc. Fortunately they had more than one game, I tried Layton, Ridge Racer, SF4 and what is certainly the best game at launch: Dinosaurs 3D!!!
I checked the pamphlet, and it showed what features won't be available at launch: eshop, dsi shop, not even the Internet browser!! Also, the 3D TV shows distribution program doesn't even have a launch date, so I think it won't be in the same update than the others (may). That's it for me: no exciting launch games and many features are still missing. I'm gonna have to skip at launch :(

Great review Mehdi_San. Thanks!
I'm still on the fence, but knowing the economy is getting better means that people are going to buy this in droves as the must have item.
I'll keep my preorder and SSFIV is going to have to hold me til the eshop

Anth0ny

So no virtual console at launch? I was looking forward to playing Link's Awakening DX...

Hopefully it's ready for the North American launch.

Anth0ny said:
So no virtual console at launch? I was looking forward to playing Link's Awakening DX...

Hopefully it's ready for the North American launch.

Iwata said May in Japan, so that's likely the worldwide date.
Kind of sucks, but oh well, as long as it means the eShop is completely ready and not a mess like WiiShop.

louie said:
For the launch of a major new console this thread isn't moving particularly fast.

We've had like 100 topics about the 3DS in less than a year...
We're pretty much all talked out at this point.

Truth101

Banned
AceBandage said:
Iwata said May in Japan, so that's likely the worldwide date.
Kind of sucks, but oh well, as long as it means the eShop is completely ready and not a mess like WiiShop.

May is the worldwide update to the 3DS that introduces E-shop, Internet Browser ect...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It is POSSIBLE that it's a characteristic of the demo versions/units and their capabilities, if it's indeed the case. I have pinged the author, he will post in here at his earliest convenience!

louie said:
For the launch of a major new console this thread isn't moving particularly fast :/
Because the thread opened way too early. I mean heck, it's still like 4 days away, there's no launch news yet. Because of that it'd actually be better if a new thread were started in a couple days to deal with the real launch news, so people don't have to skip past 4 full-length pages to find the news.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I dunno man, it did not at all seem to run as smoothly as the console/arcade versions, and I am pretty familiar with those over a hundred hours of play or more.

It could very well be the case of the demo unit, but in both 2D and 3D it sure didn't seem 60 FPS to me.

(i am the author)

daffy

Banned
WonkersTHEWatilla said:
:O He says the blue one is mesmerizing. Oh snap I'm beginning to regret ordering the black one.
Heh, I too thought about getting the blue one, but I don't really want an attention grabber when I'm on the bus or walking around somewhere.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Other colours can be cool but absolutely nothing beats the slickness of black.
Plus this.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dreamwriter said:
Because the thread opened way too early. I mean heck, it's still like 4 days away, there's no launch news yet. Because of that it'd actually be better if a new thread were started in a couple days to deal with the real launch news, so people don't have to skip past 4 full-length pages to find the news.
Works well enough for game threads.

It's more like the other guy said, 3DS is a bit talked out.
It'll be nice when more in depth impressions of the games hit.

1 more month for America!

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I have the black one on order too, it's just the top lid of that blue one is so crazy. I think the interior all black top and bottom matches better as a whole with the black unit.

BUT THE LID, THE LID!!!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
lobdale said:
I have the black one on order too, it's just the top lid of that blue one is so crazy. I think the interior all black top and bottom matches better as a whole with the black unit.

BUT THE LID, THE LID!!!
I'm the same. Dat Lid!

I'd probably be over it after a week though and it gets smudged to heck.

dallow_bg said:
I'm the same. Dat Lid!

I'd probably be over it after a week though and gets smudged.
You could, you know, wipe it off now and then :p One quick wipe on your shirt should get any smudges off (depending on the cleanliness of your shirt, I guess...)

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
So many conflicting reports! My world is thrust into disarray! I don't know what to believe.
It's 120fps.

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
So many conflicting reports! My world is thrust into disarray! I don't know what to believe.

Well, it was running at a solid 60FPS at one time, and there was nothing done to the game that would lower it to 30FPS, so it has to be something about the demo units.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
AceBandage said:
Well, it was running at a solid 60FPS at one time, and there was nothing done to the game that would lower it to 30FPS, so it has to be something about the demo units.

If you don't mind me asking, where is this direct feed 60 FPS video, and how was it captured?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dreamwriter said:
You could, you know, wipe it off now and then :p One quick wipe on your shirt should get any smudges off (depending on the cleanliness of your shirt, I guess...)

It's 120fps.
Oh I know. But I'd get used to the shiny lid all the same.

Although...... I do still love the look of my Famicom GB Micro every time I take it out.

People talked some initial mess on my blue, but a few recent reports have said it is nice. I wavered at times, just because the black seems like it would take a back seat and be a bit more age appropriate.

I figure if you chose blue to be bold, or black for sleekness and discreteness, neither color disappoints.

lobdale said:
If you don't mind me asking, where is this direct feed 60 FPS video, and how was it captured?

Right here.

Also, at least one GAFfer (beelzebozo, IIRC) claimed to have played the final retail version, and said that it definitely ran at 60fps. Not sure how he would have access to it, though.

That's definitely 60fps, but there *is* something missing that could possibly affect framerate: music. Depending on how they are doing the music, it's possible that music could have caused enough speed issues for them to decide to lock the game at 30fps. Doubtful, but possible.

Do the games save on the cartridge? Can you chose to save to the SD card, or manage the saves after the fact?

I plan to rent nearly everything that looks remotely interesting, but I want keep my saves.

Dreamwriter said:
That's definitely 60fps, but there *is* something missing that could possibly affect framerate: music. Depending on how they are doing the music, it's possible that music could have caused enough speed issues for them to decide to lock the game at 30fps. Doubtful, but possible.

I really really doubt that the music would cause them to need to half the framerate.
Especially if the audio is being handled through its own chip like many believe.

Class_A_Ninja said:
Do the games save on the cartridge? Can you chose to save to the SD card, or manage the saves after the fact?

I plan to rent nearly everything that looks remotely interesting, but I want keep my saves.

Games save to the system itself. Not sure if you can transfer them to an SD card or not.

Jonnyram

That video highlights how different the demo kiosks are. Maybe it's because it's not running in 3D? Or maybe it's not running on actual hardware. But the demo units were definitely not running that smoothly.

DCharlie

Banned
wait... -that- video is supposed to show proof of 60fps?!

can you check you have the right vid because um... yeah...

AceBandage said:
Games save to the system itself. Not sure if you can transfer them to an SD card or not.

Wait, how much on board memory is there for game saves? Is this partly because of an always existent Street Pass even when the game is not in?

Top Bottom