• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

Jonnyram said:
What are you talking about?

In order for StreetPass to be able to know what games you have and what information you have for those games, it would need to have the games saved to the system.
StreetPass is constantly on, and constantly looking for new information for the games you own, regardless of it they are in the system or not.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Jonnyram said:
What are you talking about?

The save data for your games needs to be on the system in order to exchange it with other StreetPass-running systems. That's not to say that the games save directly to the system, though--games might offload/update a separate "StreetPass data" save.

It's not bad speculation to theorize the games just save to the system itself, but it is still speculation.

- J - D -

So...wait...there's no official word straight from the horse's mouth that SSFIV 3D will run in 60fps? Oh man...if this turns out wrong I'm going to feel really bad about badmouthing DOAD's 30fps 3D mode.

branny

Class_A_Ninja said:
I figure if you chose blue to be bold, or black for sleekness and discreteness, neither color disappoints.

I just wanna know if blue is actually going to be blue most of the time or end up looking like that ugly teal showing up in some pictures/renders/videos. I haven't gotten over the black face panel yet, but I'm more worried about the blue being unattractive. I still haven't seen it in person. :(

Is it an honest-to-goodness blue? Like how it is in 90% of this video?

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
So...wait...there's no official word straight from the horse's mouth that SSFIV 3D will run in 60fps? Oh man...if this turns out wrong I'm going to feel really bad about badmouthing DOAD's 30fps 3D mode.

I just can not see it NOT running at 60FPS.
I mean, DoA runs at 60FPS with 3D off, and it has a lot more going on with the animated backgrounds and insane lighting.

antonz

It would support the info IGN had spec wise of that 1.5GB+ storage space on the system reserved for mostly system stuff. We know streetpass tracks every game you ever play on it and trades data around like crazy

Jonnyram

AceBandage said:
In order for StreetPass to be able to know what games you have and what information you have for those games, it would need to have the games saved to the system.
StreetPass is constantly on, and constantly looking for new information for the games you own, regardless of it they are in the system or not.
You don't need the save data to run StreetPass. It uses a separate piece of code and the only data required is the data you are sharing and picking up. Jesus, I am really shocked at the amount of random guesswork being thrown about here. If anything, having StreetPass use your actual save data would leave your data in a very vulnerable position.

Jonnyram said:
You don't need the save data to run StreetPass. It uses a separate piece of code and the only data required is the data you are sharing and picking up. Jesus, I am really shocked at the amount of random guesswork being thrown about here. If anything, having StreetPass use your actual save data would leave your data in a very vulnerable position.

How so?
This is how all modern systems work.
You save to the hardware and not the software.
Wouldn't it just be easier to have all your data saved to one spot rather than a bit here and a bit there?

rpmurphy

antonz said:
It would support the info IGN had spec wise of that 1.5GB+ storage space on the system reserved for mostly system stuff. We know streetpass tracks every game you ever play on it and trades data around like crazy
Only 12 games can be used in StreetPass at any time, probably limited due to real-world communication time constraints. Maybe game will be saved on the system, who knows yet.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Jonnyram said:
Oh c'mon. like this is common knowledge.

It only makes sense that it just uses the Streetpass portion of your saved data to work.
I've never read about it being separate from the game and I thought I kept up with the news.
Still though, good to know.

Jonnyram

AceBandage said:
You have StreetPass sharing your save data directly, and you are letting people send you data which is written to your save file? How can you not see the security issues here? Imagine if someone hacks the 3DS, and starts sending out junk data which trashes your save file.

This is how all modern systems work.
Other systems save to the hardware, because there isn't any other option. You can't save to DVD or BD.

You save to the hardware and not the software.
Wouldn't it just be easier to have all your data saved to one spot rather than a bit here and a bit there?
Not really. What's easier about it? Saving to the cart itself means you don't have to make any decisions or interact at all, you just hit save and *bam*.

Jonnyram said:
This doesn't make any sense. How would it know what games are being "Streetpassed" without save-data? How would it save the data it receives without a storage place?

I do, however, have an alternative location than any system-save ram: the SD card.

Linkup

Imagine if they had a secret deadly virus in the StreetPass data and it was spread worldwide only to be unleashed on 9/9/99 and delete all your saves. Order 9999.

Gravijah

Linkup said:
Imagine if they had a secret deadly virus in the StreetPass data and it was spread worldwide only to be unleashed on 9/9/99 and delete all your saves. Order 9999.

THERE IS NO TOMORROW

9/9/99

Truth101

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
This doesn't make any sense. How would it know what games are being "Streetpassed" without save-data? How would it save the data it receives without a storage place?

I do, however, have an alternative location than any system-save ram: the SD card.

Really, I don't see Streetpass working if you are not able to save to the system. It makes no sense, unless they split the data between system and cart which seems useless.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Wait, are we questioning whether or not the game even saves on the system itself now?

What I'm getting from JohnnyRam is that there's a save for the game on the system, and then separate StreetPass data stored elsewhere.

Either way, the StreetPass data will have to interact with your game data somehow.

BooJoh

Purely speculation here, but the way I would guess it works is like this:

When you enable StreetPass on a game, it installs a StreetPass data much like the Wii Fit Channel or Mario Kart Channel on Wii, which probably just consists of a game ID and the data to be exchanged, so it'd be a lot smaller than a full game save. When StreetPass links with another system, they both check for matching games and if any matches are found, they exchange relevant data from those mini-saves and flag them as tagged. Then when you boot the game it checks the StreetPass data from the system and updates your cartridge save accordingly.

I don't know how this would affect multiple systems, it might create a system/game "pair" much like WFC games do on DS so that StreetPass only works with the cart and system you enabled it on.

Kuran said:
Oh lord, I knew about the static backgrounds but in this video it is really awkward to look at! They should have just taken all of the characters from the background.. am I shallow if I lost interest in buying this game now? At least I' don't feel like spending 300$ for it anymore..

You shouldn't spend 300$ on ANY one game.

And yes, you are shallow(it's not an open world adventure game).

Presentation matters but I'd rather have the rest of it as good or faithful to the console versions.

Kuran

Banned
Hm I guess so, perhaps it was because there was no background music playing in that EG video. The thought of having SFIV on a portable with online is just too cool though...

Linkup

Gravijah said:
THERE IS NO TOMORROW

9/9/99

Do I really have to put 2099? It's past 2000 now, we can move on now right?

Anyway, even if streetpass is separate data it will still interact with your cartridge and likely save files on said cart at some point right? So security issues are still present, the effect will just be delayed until you put the matching cart in. That is if the save files are on the cartridge in the first place. I assumed the save files wouldn't be on the cart for 3DS games as that means no more worries about number of saves, a nice addition feature, then again that did bite them in the butt with the wii. Maybe it's time to bring back passwords.

Izayoi

Banned
dallow_bg said:
I'm the same. Dat Lid!

I'd probably be over it after a week though and it gets smudged to heck.
You know that they developed a special anti-fingerprint coating for the shell, right?

One quick swipe and they're gone.

mehdi_san

The official pamphlet says that savegames are stored on the cartridge for each game. I don't have it now to check the details, but I think it said some games may have functions that will save data into the SD card. I believe that must be DLCs or screenshots or stuff like that

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Kuran said:
Oh lord, I knew about the static backgrounds but in this video it is really awkward to look at! They should have just taken all of the characters from the background.. am I shallow if I lost interest in buying this game now? At least I' don't feel like spending 300$ for it anymore..
Have you ever had any interest to buy a 3DS at all? You've been trolling it for months so one may wonder.

Izayoi

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Have you ever had any interest to buy a 3DS at all? You've been trolling it for months so one may wonder.
I'm curious about this has well. Been lurking GAF for a very long time now and it seems that in every 3DS thread Kuran is always negative.

Dunno, just wondering why you keep posting in these if you have no interest in it and are continually disappointed by what you see.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Maybe Street Fighter got a graphical upgrade, with animated backgrounds which forced them to go 30 FPS?

Izayoi

Banned
Easy_D said:
Maybe Street Fighter got a graphical upgrade, with animated backgrounds which forced them to go 30 FPS?
If that's the case I really hope they give you an option to toggle off the backgrounds and retain the framerate, because I'll take playability over eye candy any day.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dreamwriter said:

plenty of ways. Playing SFIV - game saves tiny SFIV ID token to the system, along with a tiny bit of data representing the characters you've unlocked or similar.

You walk past someone, streetpass swaps the data so you now have someone else's SFIV data in your system.

turn on your 3DS, launch SFIV and the game takes that data and shows you the result.

You only need a tiny bit of data to represent a game and the associated streetpass data, and a small bit of space to hold passing peoples' data.

Kuran

Banned
marc^o^ said:

Why can't I be critical? I didn't raise any concerns that aren't in the realm of consideration by even the most avid Nintendo fan. I'm a handheld-loving gamer, of course I want a 3DS. Does that mean I am fully happy with the direction Nintendo has taken? No. It upsets me if a giant like Nintendo seemingly cuts corners on many aspects, and still charges us so much. But my issues lie mostly with the hardware capabilities and design.

I just don't feel as if the 3DS is what it could have been if it is going to be on the market for the next five years.

Do I want one? Of course, for the games, and because I thank the gods we're still getting handhelds with physical buttons.

antonz said:
There will be system space reserved for shared folders (on the Wii they started using symbolic linkning for channels because every single channel shares a lot of home menu data including the font used - "Wii gothic NTLG" I think) and behind the scenes stuff but 1.5 GB seems excessive. Unless it is hiding demos to be sent and stuff like that.

I don't think the reserved space on the Wii is anywhere closed to filled by Nintendo (but they are showing concerning, stubbing old IOS and I think they started linking newer IOS to old IOS) but it may be about 100MB or so on the NAND (I assume the NAND is allocated into 128kb blocks like seeen in the system, does this mean small things like the settings data and certificates are seperate files so will take up more space on the NAND than the few kbs you would find, but saves seem to be internally archived somewhat as a save with two files, the banner and the save itself takes up 1 block, channels are split into multiple files).

rpmurphy said:
Only 12 games can be used in StreetPass at any time, probably limited due to real-world communication time constraints. Maybe game will be saved on the system, who knows yet.
I have to admit this is the first I've heard of this and its a bit of a blow. Its far better than before but I'll still have to pick and choose which saves I bother to propgate. That said, I'm the kind of person who is usually done with a game when I've beaten it so I won't care about street pass as I'd never look at the result.

mehdi_san

Boney said:
You won't have any problems unless you keep your DS game on sleep mode. If the cartridge is on, without playing, I assume there won't be any troubles.
I was actually thinking about what happens when I'm playing a DS game. Say I'm on the train playing ni no kuni, street pass will be off as long as im playing it. It would only works if I quit the game and go back to the menu :(

Starwolf_UK said:
I have to admit this is the first I've heard of this and its a bit of a blow. Its far better than before but I'll still have to pick and choose which saves I bother to propgate. That said, I'm the kind of person who is usually done with a game when I've beaten it so I won't care about street pass as I'd never look at the result.

12 is actually much better than I was expecting. StreetPass is probably going to be more of a supplement to the games you actively play. So as you pointed out, while it's not impossible to be interested in sharing data for more than 12 games at once, there is a point where you're probably passing out tag info you set months ago, for a game you haven't touched since.

Not all games will have a tag mode anyway, or a worthwhile one. 12's a very good number, I had expected something closer to 3 or 5.

m.i.s.

Banned
Without getting in to the ins and outs of Streetpass, surely there's some considerable advantage in saving to the individual 3DS cart itself and not the system.

What if your system dies or you lose it (much easier to do than a home system which stays in one place)?

There goes your entire game playing history with dozens or even hundreds of hours of game play data.

M.I.S. said:
Without getting in to the ins and outs of Streetpass, surely there's some considerable advantage in saving to the individual 3DS cart itself and not the system.

What if your system dies or you lose it (much easier to do than a home system which stays in one place)?

There goes your entire game playing history with dozens or even hundreds of hours of game play data.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.

If you're talking about Streetpass, that data's probably temporary, the individual games check it on start-up and integrate new data into your on-cartridge or SD card save file.

Your play history/pedometer information is probably stored on the system itself in some embedded flash memory, but it's not the end of the world if you lose that.

I didn't plan on getting a 3DS anywhere near launch until my DSLite's buttons started getting finicky all of a sudden.

Well played, Nintendo.

Luigiv

Kulock said:
Your play history/pedometer information is probably stored on the system itself in some embedded flash memory, but it's not the end of the world if you lose that.
And so is all your DD content tickets, which is a bit more substantial to loose. Not really an issue for me, since I'm not a retard who would allow my expensive gadgets to get lost, stolen or broken but it is a deal breaker for some.

Luigiv said:
And so is all your DD content tickets, which is a bit more substantial to loose. Not really an issue for me, since I'm not a retard who would allow my expensive gadgets to get lost, stolen or broken but it is a deal breaker for some.

That's true, but are we sure that's how it still works? There was a lot of talk about the improved online systems for the 3DS, that would be one major aspect to fumble 4 and a half years after the release of the Wii, not to mention the negative feedback from the DSi -> DSi XL issue.

Luigiv

Kulock said:
That's true, but are we sure that's how it still works? There was a lot of talk about the improved online systems for the 3DS, that would be one major aspect to fumble 4 and a half years after the release of the Wii, not to mention the negative feedback from the DSi -> DSi XL issue.
There's a ticket transfer system that allows for a limited number of transfers (duplications?) but from my understanding its a direct hardware to hardware thing not a cloud based method.

Kuran said:
Nah, it bothers me too. Street Fighter games tend to have such beautiful backgrounds you know. I would gladly take more dev time or lower poly models just to have animated backgrounds.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
anyone else feel a bit worried/disappointed that Pilotwings is just set on Wuhu Island (so far, name suggests it might be just that)

I spent plenty of time flying a plane around Wuhu Island on Wii Sports Resort and this looks identical with the landmarks to find, and so on. Its the same sights and scenery - I'm quite apprehensive.

Jet pack and Hang glider don't make a MASSIVE change to how I feel and it doesn't feel like a full package if thats all it is.

Surely there has to be more locations but....surely they'd have revealed them by now if there were?

kaizoku said:
anyone else feel a bit worried/disappointed that Pilotwings is just set on Wuhu Island (so far, name suggests it might be just that)

I spent plenty of time flying a plane around Wuhu Island on Wii Sports Resort and this looks identical with the landmarks to find, and so on. Its the same sights and scenery - I'm quite apprehensive.

Jet pack and Hang glider don't make a MASSIVE change to how I feel and it doesn't feel like a full package if thats all it is.

Surely there has to be more locations but....surely they'd have revealed them by now if there were?

Pilot Wings always struck me as the simplest sort of game to program content for. Once you have a fun "piloting" mechanic, the rest is putting down some pylons. I'll be dissapointed if you can't get 20 hours worth of time just completing, and then an additional however many hours golding everything.

Boney

Banned
I've only played Pilotwings on the SNES, and terrain was the least of my worries there. Although it is a bummer, it's not exactly a deal breaker for me. Plus there are new areas in it.

Oh and it does support DLC at the very least. Mercenaries director said so, and I'm not sure if Street Fighter does as well...

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Pureauthor said:
I didn't plan on getting a 3DS anywhere near launch until my DSLite's buttons started getting finicky all of a sudden.

Well played, Nintendo.

Happened to me with the hinge on my lite the month before the DSi came out.

Nintendo must have a fucking killswitch in their handhelds or something.

Anyone think this thing will sell out around launch? For some reason, I'm not feeling like there's a ton of hype for it in the general public (whatever that means)

Smision said:
Anyone think this thing will sell out around launch? For some reason, I'm not feeling like there's a ton of hype for it in the general public (whatever that means)
Well seeing as this is a thread about the Japanese launch then yes it will sell out at launch there without doubt seeing as all preorders role out within hours weeks ago, as for Europe and the US, I'm not so sure it will but not because of lack of hype but instead due to possible vast supply as it seems there is going to be about 2.5 million split between Europe and America

mehdi_san said:
I was actually thinking about what happens when I'm playing a DS game. Say I'm on the train playing ni no kuni, street pass will be off as long as im playing it. It would only works if I quit the game and go back to the menu :(
That's gonna be pretty much the case I think. As soon you start a DS game, I think it will go directly into DS mode and won't support any 3DS features at the time being. Playing or sleep mode - no matter. I hope I'm wrong, but that's at least what I'm expecting. I'll will find out in a few days. Heh...

Izayoi

Banned
Smision said:
All of the people I've talked to have indicated that it's selling out.

From mom and pop locally owned game stores to Gamestop to even Best Buy.

I'm in the Seattle area though, so that might have something to do with it.

Top Bottom