• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Plans for Official Store in San Francisco

16x9-NintendoSF

Nintendo of America today announced plans to open an official store in San Francisco’s iconic Union Square, providing a way for a wide range of visitors from near and far to experience the world of Nintendo, its products, and characters.

The store, called Nintendo SAN FRANCISCO, will open in 2025 as the second official location in the US, joining the store in New York City.

Please stay tuned for more information as the new store opening approaches.

Durin

What an actual dumb idea.

I've lived in the Bay Area, San Fran is a shell of its former self, and we're seeing businesses vacate in noticeable amounts. Public officials do actually suck at dealing with crime and homelessness.

So many other cities would be a better and cheaper option.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
This is the one brand that makes sense to open their own physical storefront. They handle a lot more physical merchandise (action figures/figurines, amibos, game cartridges, et cetera) than either PlayStation or Xbox. I don't, however, think that was the best location for a launch. We will see though.

diffusionx

Gold Member
My guess is that they are getting a MASSIVE discount to open this, in a desperate attempt to jump-start the market.

It's sad. I used to go to SF often and this was a beautiful and bustling part of the city.

The Fartist

Gold Member
What an actual dumb idea.

I've lived in the Bay Area, San Fran is a shell of its former self, and we're seeing businesses vacate in noticeable amounts. Public officials do actually suck at dealing with crime and homelessness.

So many other cities would be a better and cheaper option.
Yeah, I lived in SF from 2002 to 2014, it was a shell of its former self from 2010 on. Around 2010, that's when rent got stupid out of control, from expensive to forget about it. Now, it's unrecognizable, sad shit, man. I loved my time there, though, basically my entire twenties, 18-30, good drugs, booze, pussy and PlayStation. It was just time to go in 2014.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It's sad. I used to go to SF often and this was a beautiful and bustling part of the city.
I was working at a startup with strong US presence a few years back, so I went to SF. I was shocked how you can have a district in the middle of the city (Tenderloin) that is borderline lawless. What a shit excuse for a city.

The Fartist

Gold Member
I was working at a startup with strong US presence a few years back, so I went to SF. I was shocked how you can have a district in the middle of the city (Tenderloin) that is borderline lawless. What a shit excuse for a city.
City Hall and the Court House is in The Tenderloin, go figure.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wonder who they'll get to scrape the feces off the sidewalk in front of the store before opening each day? Current San Francisco is a weird choice.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, but that picture makes me want to travel halfway across the country just to check it out.
Ehh it’s a cool store, something to check out if you’re in Manhattan but it’s not like some holy site you need to make a pilgrimage to or anything. Those pictures make it look a lot bigger than it is.

We spent maybe 20 minutes there, got some t-shirts and sticker books for the kids, then went on with our day.

Sorcerer

Can you buy games and hardware in these stores? I could have sworn when I visited the Manhattan store, they had everything but games and hardware. I went just before the pandemic.
Love the glass case that features every console in Nintendo's history.
Also why doesn't Nintendo have pipes I can jump in so I can go directly to the store bypassing the traffic going in from NJ to NY?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Can you buy games and hardware in these stores? I could have sworn when I visited the Manhattan store, they had everything but games and hardware. I went just before the pandemic.
Love the glass case that features every console in Nintendo's history.
Also why doesn't Nintendo have pipes I can jump in so I can go directly to the store bypassing the traffic going in from NJ to NY?
Yeah, they have games and Switch hardware in NYC store on 2nd floor.

Will there be a web page to order from? Or am I misunderstanding how this store functions?

I love ordering stuff on Fangamers web page <3

Last edited:

Durin

Yeah, I lived in SF from 2002 to 2014, it was a shell of its former self from 2010 on. Around 2010, that's when rent got stupid out of control, from expensive to forget about it. Now, it's unrecognizable, sad shit, man. I loved my time there, though, basically my entire twenties, 18-30, good drugs, booze, pussy and PlayStation. It was just time to go in 2014.

I ended up also leaving around early 2014, after getting laid off a job, and not wanting to spend $2k a month on a mediocre studio apartment to try to find something else in time before my savings dried up. I've gone back a few times to visit people, and each time it only looks worse. Took a job that made me less, but was remote so I just lived in a cheaper state where I kept more of that money. I want to hope it will get better, but I'm seeing no cultural momentum there to do it.

Hopefully the Nintendo store has good security.

Hudo

6 months after opening: “We are closing due to high crime rates”
I am genuinely expecting this. I have a family member who lives in San Francisco and she says that the city is a fucking third-world shithole.

(she is already preparing to move away)

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I can’t wait to buy all the pee-scented merch!

Durin

It's depressing how bad it's gotten. Used to be my favorite city when I was a kid and now I dread having to go there for work.
Used to be my grandmother's favorite city as well. She hadn't been there in 20 years, until a trip last year, and she barely recognized it.

00_Zer0

Damn, where's Nintendo Store Florida? They could choose Orlando, Tampa, or Miami. At least business has a chance there instead of the homeless, crime infested, and drug induced population that they let take over that once beautiful city of San Francisco.

Last edited:
Top Bottom