• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces the New 3DS XL for North America to be released February 13

scamander

Banned
Just checked PA to import if NA fails me again, and they are out of print lol...

http://www.play-asia.com/new-3ds-ll-charger-stand-black-paOS-13-49-en-70-86cz.html

They are not out of print. Only because they are out of stock on play asia doesn't mean they are oop. You can get them from other online retailers without problems.

I do think though, they'll release the charging cradle for the XL in the US anyway. Maybe they'll even throw a power adapter in. That's what they did in Europe when the OG XL didn't come with a charger out of the box.

I was looking forward to the regular new 3DS, as I'm an owner of a 2DS. The 2DS isn't really portable, so the clamshell would help a lot. Was thinking that'd be true of the XL too, but damn! The 3DSXL is HUGE! And I thought my 2DS was big.

DHITh6K.png

It's even longer than the 2DS and nearly as tall? How is this possible!

All that aside, can anyone tell me the relative merits of the XL? Maybe from having had an OG XL? It's still more portable and the 3D is much better, so I'm still curious, even if less than before.

If I buy a New XL, do I have to do the system transfer or could I re-download everything from the eShop? I'm terrified of losing my Ambassador games. Also how does it handle saves for digital titles?

To pile on with another transfer question, if I'm just looking to move everything from an Old to a New and then sell the old one (empty), you still need to have both handhelds at the same time in order to do the transfer, right? I can't just sell my old one now and hold onto the SD card?

Fairly certain this is the case but it's just vague enough on the Nintendo pages that I worry. The old transfer page lays it out pretty clear, but the specific page for the New 3ds mentions that "you can preemptively transfer your content to a microSD card before you purchase a New Nintendo 3DS XL by using a PC."

To pile on with another transfer question, if I'm just looking to move everything from an Old to a New and then sell the old one (empty), you still need to have both handhelds at the same time in order to do the transfer, right? I can't just sell my old one now and hold onto the SD card?

Fairly certain this is the case but it's just vague enough on the Nintendo pages that I worry. The old transfer page lays it out pretty clear, but the specific page for the New 3ds mentions that "you can preemptively transfer your content to a microSD card before you purchase a New Nintendo 3DS XL by using a PC."

Pretty sure you still need the system to do the license transfer (but I could be wrong). Once that's done, I think all you need to do is plug in the SD card you transfered your games to and they'll work on the new system.

Why wouldn't you want the XL version?

I'm OK with them not including adapter. The screwdriver to get into mSD is weird to me though.

I was warned off the red one at my GS because they said the interior is almost pink.

Preordered a black one, MH, and MM.

GameStop employees don't have a clue. How would they? They haven't seen the thing in person yet.

Looking at videos online, it doesn't look even remotely pink. It looks more Ferrari red with a slightly darker shade.

Wish I had an idea what the red one looks like. I am undecided between the black one and the red one. Planning on doing the system transfer in store once its released so I can do the 100 trade in

Digital Trends on YouTube is the only outlet I've seen post a video with the red model. You can see the inside of it only, though. Unfortunately, they never close the lid, but you do see a bit of the back here:

IronFall Invasion: http://youtu.be/_9fG7E-bGyc

Which would be less of a dust/fingerprint magnet, red or black?

The black is confirmed to be fingerprint/smudge hell by richisawesome. The red is bright enough that you definitely won't see them as much.

Cream

Banned

• Metallic finish instead of matte.
  • Awful generic red and black colors, instead of refreshing white and colorful options
  • Annoying screen quality of the XL
  • Annoying to hold for people with smaller or skinnier hands.
  • Most people with NORMAL pocket sizes can fit it, but just barely. Seriously, check out some comparizon videos. I don't want a brick in my pocket.
  • Barely even portable
  • No faceplates. It may be difficult for some people to understand, but some of us actually like being able to have a unique customized system that appeals to our aesthetic tastes, instead of everyone having either fingerprint-covered red or fingerprint-covered black.
  • More expensive.

GameStop employees have no clue. They haven't seen the thing in person yet. Looking at videos online. It doesn't look even remotely pink. It looks more Ferrari red with a slightly darker shade.
From what I seen, it is pretty much wine red. Which I guess some people could see as pinkish, but not really. As another poster joked, wine red and black are classy as ****.

I know it's black, but it kinda looks like grey in this picture and made me think how awesome a grey unit with the coloured buttons of the non-XL would be...

3dsxlyuspd.jpg

Cider

Bestbuy charged my Paypal! Yay it's official I'm getting one. Next goal: hunt one down for my boyfriend as well. Really hope other retailers will have it up soon.

Meh, thought so. Oh well.

Well, on the other hand you can buy them on eBay right now for around $30 USD with free shipping. (The japanese model should work fine). Hardly a deal but I'm guessing if they ever released this side of the ocean you'd pay $25 so it's not that far off.

sörine

Banned
So far, no. The system doesn't come with it and Nintendo hasn't announced any accessory plans.
I expect it to be exclusive to Nintendo's web store and then later get carried by specialty shops and online retailers. That's what happened with the XL charge stand and both Circle Pad Pros.

HF2014

Hey wondering something. Will there be games release only as New 3DS exclusive? I was thinking that majora mask, monster hunter and xenoblade were,like new 3ds exclusive, but it seem not the case, they seem to be playable on regular 3ds.

Just wondeing that atm if jts worth it to grab the new 3ds for some exclusive, or if its just for better lperforming machine.

EDIT: Nevermind, just read that xenoblade is new 3ds exclusive. So titles will come exclusive for the new 3ds

Hey wondering something. Will there be games release only as New 3DS exclusive? I was thinking that majora mask, monster hunter and xenoblade were,like new 3ds exclusive, but it seem not the case, they seem to be playable on regular 3ds.

Just wondeing that atm if jts worth it to grab the new 3ds for some exclusive, or if its just for better lperforming machine.

Xenoblade Chronicles is 100% exclusive to the New 3DS. The other gamed you mentioned play on older hardware, though.

So, yes, there will be SOME exclusive titles.

sörine;147605510 said:
I expect it to be exclusive to Nintendo's web store and then later get carried by specialty shops and online retailers. That's what happened with the XL charge stand and both Circle Pad Pros.

Could be. But then again they sold those out really quickly. And you'll probably have to pay shipping. Just a lot of guesswork versus buying now when demand is relatively low.

Mononoke

Banned

I'm OK with them not including adapter. The screwdriver to get into mSD is weird to me though.

I overall preferred the XL to the OG 3DS. Even though screen loses quality, I liked the bigger screen. I thought the ergonomics were much more comfortable, and easier to play for long sessions on the XL (OG was too cramped). Although I think the N3DS small would have helped that out.

The battery life on XL was also better. All in all, XL always felt superior to me. And I suspect, many felt the same way, as I think it sold much more than the smaller 3DS in the US (maybe I'm wrong on that).

All that said, plenty of reasons someone wouldn't want an XL.

* N3DS small has better quality screen (PPI, tighter screen).

* It's more portable. Can actually fit in your pocket, or bag easier then XL. Very light.

* It had faceplates, which allowed you many diverse choices. Whereas the XL basically boxes you into picking either Black or Red (basically, no choice at all when it comes to color).

* Those with smaller hands, might not be able to play the XL for long sessions (the reverse problem some had with the smaller feeling too cramped).

* Lastly, some say the smaller/tighter screen means the 3D works better. I personally don't agree, as I've owned both. And I actually thought the bigger screen worked better for me. *shrugs*

So yeah, in the end I always wanted an XL. I was highly considering going back down to the smaller size with all the changes and perks. But eh. I still understand why many DONT want the XL.

scamander

Banned
I am curious does the charging dock actually come with a cable?
If so, then I got a 3DS + charger + face plate for $200. Now that is alright value.

Unfortunately not (at least not in Japan and Europe).
When NoE released the OG 3DS XL without a power adapter they included one with the charging cradle, but with the new one they didn't. In Japan they never did it afaik.

Unfortunately not (at least not in Japan and Europe).
When NoE released the OG 3DS XL without a power adapter they included one with the charging cradle, but with the new one they didn't. In Japan they never did it afaik.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Meh, I can survive with only one charger.

arab

name is still incredibly stupid. they make quality games but i swear to god someone needs to fire their marketing team

What is the range of temperatures that this family of handhelds will work in? I ordered a 3DS and it was delivered today, but it was sitting on a delivery truck that was out in winter weather for hours.

It's -13 degrees Celcius here with windchill, so 8.6 Fahrenheit.

Would that have caused any damage? It's still in its box, was never opened outside and won't be turned on for hours.

The truck would've been heated, right?

imjust1n

Banned
I cant stand the fact that Nintendo gives a release date of the new system THEN adds 2 limited edition systems which makes me really want one then it sells out before being able to get one.
It makes me not really even want to buy the system period.
Cmon Nintendo give us a chance to buy your stuff especially wit these amiibos its a pile of crock when something sells out instantly not giving anyone the chance.

Flintty

I have a question about transferring my NID which I cannot find the answer to anywhere.
My Son has a 3DXL with his own user account which does not have a Nintendo ID. I also made an account on it which I tied to my Wii U Nintendo ID which was used only for downloading demos.

I now have my own New 3DS and I want to put my ID onto it but to do so I need to do a system transfer. If I do this, what happens to my Son's save game data? Does it stay on his 3DS or will the system transfer throw everything over to my DS?

I was looking forward to the regular new 3DS, as I'm an owner of a 2DS. The 2DS isn't really portable, so the clamshell would help a lot. Was thinking that'd be true of the XL too, but damn! The 3DSXL is HUGE! And I thought my 2DS was big.
Totally agree with you 100%. It is a nice idea for a SKU, but to make it replace the regular 3DS is just so stupid.
name is still incredibly stupid. they make quality games but i swear to god someone needs to fire their marketing team
Yeah, 2012 many people should have been fired. I guess because Japan is way more forgiving it didn't happen.

RobbieNick

So I went into Gamestop to pre-order the Monster Hunter edition New 3DSXL only to find that you have to pay for the whole damn thing all at once and then, they mail it to you. Considering I ordered Captain Falcon Amiibo from them 3 weeks ago and it hasn't arrived yet I'm gonna pass on that. Ended up ordering a bland red edition and Monster Hunter 4 standard because the collectors edition was sold out. (I did try to pre-order the collectors edition back in September when it was announced, but it wasn't in their system for awhile and I kinda forgot about it). Disappointing.

It's sad that the faceplate regular versions aren't coming stateside, but I was undecided on whether to get the regular or XL editions and they just made that choice easy for me. Justin time too as the right side of my old XL is cracked and keep almost coming off and I have to hold that corner down when opening and closing the system.

What is the range of temperatures that this family of handhelds will work in? I ordered a 3DS and it was delivered today, but it was sitting on a delivery truck that was out in winter weather for hours.

It's -13 degrees Celcius here with windchill, so 8.6 Fahrenheit.

Would that have caused any damage? It's still in its box, was never opened outside and won't be turned on for hours.

The truck would've been heated, right?

The cold will likely have reduced the battery's charge, but aside from that, it shouldn't cause any longstanding problems. Of course, it probably didn't get that cold, given the truck, shipping box, and packaging would all help insulate it. Should be fine as long as you let it warm up to something reasonable before powering it on.

Not happening. They don't play nice with Nintendo.
So here is my dilemma and this is partly my own forgetful fault.

My family knows I’ve wanted the new 3DS since it was first announced, so my past birthday and Christmas they have been gifting me Amazon gift cards. I completely forgot Amazon and Nintendo had that fallout a few years ago and sure enough the new 3DS is nowhere to be found. I’ve got about $200 in Amazon money…

I was really hoping to get the unit and MH4 at launch. Any suggestions or am I pretty much out of options?

The cold will likely have reduced the battery's charge, but aside from that, it shouldn't cause any longstanding problems. Of course, it probably didn't get that cold, given the truck, shipping box, and packaging would all help insulate it. Should be fine as long as you let it warm up to something reasonable before powering it on.

Thanks for helping to keep my craziness at bay.

My family knows I’ve wanted the new 3DS since it was first announced, so my past birthday and Christmas they have been gifting me Amazon gift cards. I completely forgot Amazon and Nintendo had that fallout a few years ago and sure enough the new 3DS is nowhere to be found. I’ve got about $200 in Amazon money…

I was really hoping to get the unit and MH4 at launch. Any suggestions or am I pretty much out of options?

You definitely won't get the MonHun XL, because that's GameStop exclusive, but a reseller may eventually put up the regular XL up on Amazon. It will probably happen after launch, though.

Rione

Looks like amazon.ca have some New Nintendo 3DS XLs for sale if importing is an option or you know someone in Canada. Not certain if the amount of amazon money you have will carry over but you can always try logging into the amazon.ca domain and see what happens.

Link to it: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00S1LRX3W/

So yesterday I went to Gamestop to preorder and was told their system wasn't working and to come back today, which I did. Now the same guy from yesterday was there and said they could only do the web in store preorders to ship it to me even for just the regular red version. I declined since if I'm going to get it online I'd prefer to just do it myself so I can cancel it later if I find a better option than the $15 for 1 day shipping Gamestop has... I called another one in the area and they too aren't doing actual in store pick up preorders.

Are these guys just totally clueless and getting mixed up since the LEs are online only, or are some Gamestops actually not getting any stock in store at all? o_O

Three

Now Americans can experience the miserly penny-pinching too!

Seriously. No AC adapter. Only Nintendo could get away with that, anyone else would be mocked forever.

Did they do this in Europe/RoTW before?
Don't know about that, MS seem to get away with not giving people batteries let alone a charging cable.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How much money can they possibly save by not including an AC adapter...?

Millions probably. Supply chain cuts, manufacturing OH cuts, smaller packaging cuts as well as greater bulk shipping space and retail allotments due to tighter package sizes, etc...

A few dollars shaved goes a loooooong way in mass production. Sadly the consumer is inconvenienced in this scenario.

Zing

Banned
Preordered the black system from EB. Planning on trading in my old system. I really wish we had the blue system here.

Top Bottom