• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo backs off on cell phone games

I know what you mean there’s nothing like taking the PC out on the go with you to play Zelda.

...why would I want to play Zelda “on the go” ? I leave the house specifically to take a break from staring at screens. Whipping out a video game in public defeats the purpose of leaving the house.

Portable games are a bizarre phenomenon.

Skelterz

...why would I want to play Zelda “on the go” ? I leave the house specifically to take a break from staring at screens. Whipping out a video game in public defeats the purpose of leaving the house.

Portable games are a bizarre phenomenon.
A lot of people play the machine on the go for a variety of reasons, I’m with you in a sense it’s nice to take a break and enjoy outside but on the way to work depending on travel time the switch kicks ass man.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
If I was an investor, this would make me incredibly nervous.

Nintendo doesn’t have any other revenue sources, so it would be hard pressed to survive more than one lackluster console. Had the Switch failed, it would have been catastrophic.

Nintendo is forced to reinvent itself each generation to make money. What happens if the future of gaming is mostly streaming in 10 or so years?

I’m just not certain Nintendo doesn’t has a limited amount of runway left. Of course, I’m not privy to their R&D.

buizel

Banned
didnt they make billions? they made a crazy amount of money why they back off?? doubt it. SAD!!

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
dragalia lost is dying because it never came to switch. Also it is pretty fucking meh. FE is dying because Nintendo got fucking greedy. Not sure why they are pulling back, these sales are still decent. Since they are making money of nothing.
These games need to be developed too. If the development is too expensive and/or the resources are kept from other projects that have better business cases its only logical to stop creating for the mobile phones.

FStubbs

If I was an investor, this would make me incredibly nervous.

Nintendo doesn’t have any other revenue sources, so it would be hard pressed to survive more than one lackluster console. Had the Switch failed, it would have been catastrophic.

Nintendo is forced to reinvent itself each generation to make money. What happens if the future of gaming is mostly streaming in 10 or so years?

I’m just not certain Nintendo doesn’t has a limited amount of runway left. Of course, I’m not privy to their R&D.

If that happened Nintendo and their dedicated hardware would mop up.

I don't think they're giving up the smartphone market, I see them as saying "don't expect us to do a major expansion in this market."

GymWolf

Morons, most of their games can probably run well on smartphones and they will make billions out of it.

Given the Market Value of Nintendo is at an all time high thanks to the Switch, Nintendo can easily tell Investors to go F themselves in forcing them on Mobile in the first place.

Nintendo does what it wants regardless of what Investors say, as they can make money without them, in addition to some of the Nintendo Employees having most % of the shares anyway, it is a "take it or leave it" scenario for the fair weathered Investors who are only in it for profits.

Last edited:
I wish someone would make a decent, affordable controller that can cradle my phone. Phone games would actually be controllable and not limited to tapping.

The lack of a good controller option is the biggest reason I don't bother with any mobile games.

Mista

Banned
They got tempted by how well mobile games do. Especially with those half-assed games with expensive MTX

Good decision Nintendo. Now give me Switch Pro

Top Bottom