• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Badge Arcade |OT| Gotta Grab 'em All

JoeM86

WTF I thought this thing gave you a free play each day, but the rabbit says its only on promotions days.
How regular are this promotions, becuase if they are far from each other this program is waisting my time and sd space.

And pretty sad they force you the first day into the boring SMB1 sprites panel.

Although I would say the rabbit turning into a real one was pretty funny.
You can earn free plays in the practice crane each day.

Promotion days are once a week in Japan

And how am I supposed to get Isabelle here?

OIr wtf is this even?
Either grab the box or use the crane to knock it down. There was a Pokémon one where I managed to grab one of them, and it caused all of the rest to roll down

8.jpg

If you position it right with the boxes, the crane can grab it and lift it up.

So the EU badges are the exact same ones as yesterday and I got 1 dummy badge from my 5 practice plays. If I spent money on this I'd feel ripped off.

I really don't know about this.

Could someone take pictures of the available US panels? Because the ones I have seem really hard and unfair.

EDIT: This was my practice round. I managed to grab the first two "handles" in one play, but the left one fell back onto the field again instead of into the hole with the handle facing downwards and the other two on the left tumbled down in a way that made it impossible for me to get more so the other practice plays were wasted. Directly grabbing the square didn't work because it'd fall out of the catcher because of gravity.

And how am I supposed to get Isabelle here?

OIr wtf is this even?

Regarding the last one, I did that yesterday, you lower the crane onto the right hand side so it tips over.

dity

WTF I thought this thing gave you a free play each day, but the rabbit says its only on promotions days.
How regular are this promotions, becuase if they are far from each other this program is waisting my time and sd space.

And pretty sad they force you the first day into the boring SMB1 sprites panel.

Although I would say the rabbit turning into a real one was pretty funny.

Wait, it's not a free play every day?

Screw that lying rabbit who said you could get every badge via the free route.

Either grab the box or use the crane to knock it down. There was a Pokémon one where I managed to grab one of them, and it caused all of the rest to roll down

8.jpg

The thing is, to even try this I'd have to spend money and I think I'd just screw it up.

Maybe this app is just not for me... and I was really looking forward to it.

Eh not even close. There's like 10 panels available right now and most look like they'd require more than 5 plays. Even if you got free plays you couldn't get everything.

You can earn free plays in the practice crane each day.

Promotion days are once a week in Japan

8.jpg

Yeah, didnt use the test play, got 2 free moves today it seems.

Now im afraid in what to use them.
How strong is the hammer in the hammer crane ones? Becuase at first glance they seem really easy to get a bunch of them depending of how the hammer works.

tmarg

Yeah, didnt use the test play, got 2 free moves today it seems.

Now im afraid in what to use them.
How strong is the hammer in the hammer crane ones? Becuase at first glance they seem really easy to get a bunch of them depending of how the hammer works.

They show it in the video linked in the OP, if you want to see how it works.

The trick with the hammer cranes seems to be that they will surround the badge they know you want with less desirable ones, so you can generally expect to get some badges with it, since it will send stuff flying, but getting the exact one you want will likely be challenging.

JonnyKong

It really annoys me having to go through the rigmarole of adding 90p onto my account everytime I want to play, just so many screens to get through. I don't really want to put a tenner into my account just for this cos that will be when things start getting silly and I end up spending more money on it than I want.

OMG, I just saw a SM3DW icon for daisy! WTF. Was it that made for the crane game, or was it planned at some point to appear as player, now im wondering.

Wait, it's not a free play every day?

Couldnt get all in the free 5 moves test one of SMB1 (got everything but the goomba).
Used the test machine and got everything with the hanger and then 2 more. That gave me 2 free plays that I missused (got two badges but are pretty meh).

Its not as easy as it appears becuase there are physics shenanigans sometimes. Sometimes tumbling a thing down some stairs we make everything fall, and other repeating the same will make them move only a little.
If i can get a free play or more with the test machine every day (and 5 more if they do the week promotions thingy), the app is not that bad. But its not as easy to get what you want, thats for sure.

They show it in the video linked in the OP, if you want to see how it works.

The trick with the hammer cranes seems to be that they will surround the badge they know you want with less desirable ones, so you can generally expect to get some badges with it, since it will send stuff flying, but getting the exact one you want will likely be challenging.

Thanks. Used my freeplay at the end to get the mii plaza mario design (it was the crane one similar to the pokemon one posted in this same page), got the luigi music and the othe mii creator one instead. meh.

Eh not even close. There's like 10 panels available right now and most look like they'd require more than 5 plays. Even if you got free plays you couldn't get everything.

Yeah, not really sure I can be fucked with this. If the crane games saved your progress it'd be fine but it's impossible to get all the badges on free plays alone the way it's set up right now.

The title screen for this game confuses me so much. Press A to start, but if you don't press A for a few seconds it just starts anyway - so what's the point of making me press A at all?

dity

OMG, I just saw a SM3DW icon for daisy! WTF. Was it that made for the crane game, or was it planned at some point to appear as player, now im wondering.

Couldnt get all in the free 5 moves test one of SMB1 (got everything but the goomba).
Used the test machine and got everything with the hanger and then 2 more. That gave me 2 free plays that I missused (got two badges but are pretty meh).

Its not as easy as it appears becuase there are physics shenanigans sometimes. Sometimes tumbling a thing down some stairs we make everything fall, and other repeating the same will make them move only a little.
If i can get a free play or more with the test machine every day (and 5 more if they do the week promotions thingy), the app is not that bad. But its not as easy to get what you want, thats for sure.

Thanks. Used my freeplay at the end to get the mii plaza mario design (it was the crane one similar to the pokemon one posted in this same page), got the luigi music and the othe mii creator one instead. meh.

Well I had my practice plays for the day and nope, no free plays. I was considering putting $10 in to give the game a "fair go" but then I looked at what was on offer and went "yeah that's probably going to be more than $10" and didn't bother.

Well I had my practice plays for the day and nope, no free plays. I was considering putting $10 in to give the game a "fair go" but then I looked at what was on offer and went "yeah that's probably going to be more than $10" and didn't bother.

Exactly. I was totally willing to put a few € into the game but the fact that there are SO MANY panels and many of them look very difficult is very off-putting.

I thought there would be like 2-3 panels a week and you'd have a reasonable chance to get everything with a few purchases. This looks like it's squarely targeted at whales.

tmarg

Yeah, not really sure I can be fucked with this. If the crane games saved your progress it'd be fine but it's impossible to get all the badges on free plays alone the way it's set up right now.

I don't think anyone ever promised you could get all the badges playing for free. I'm not even sure you can expect to get a single play on each crane without paying. You can get a fair number using free plays, but you will definitely have to pick and choose which ones are important to you.

dity

I don't think anyone ever promised you could get all the badges playing for free. I'm not even sure you can expect to get a single play on each crane without paying. You can get a fair number using free plays, but you will definitely have to pick and choose which ones are important to you.
The rabbit in-game says you can get every badge for free via the bonus plays from practice mode.

Picking and choosing what's important is not cool because you can't pick and choose. Even that NSMBU one was basically "you need to get every other badge till there's enough room to grab Daisy".

I went out my way to spend some free plays and cash to get those Link Between World system icon badges. None of the sets available right now interest me atm. Hopefully those Nintendo console badges appear soon. Need to customize my folders.

Can you like hoard your free plays for a rainy day because I just might do that.

Skrams

Wait do the panels reset every time you start a new round of plays? That would make it even worse.

It's worse when they seem to give you a free play, but I can't back out from the free play to go practice first. I'd really like if I could go practice and get an extra free play with the one I already have. As far as I've been mashing buttons to back out though, I can't.

I went out my way to spend some free plays and cash to get those Link Between World system icon badges. None of the sets available right now interest me atm. Hopefully those Nintendo console badges appear soon. Need to customize my folders.

Can you like hoard your free plays for a rainy day because I just might do that.

Nope. Got to spend em when you have em.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
It's worse when they seem to give you a free play, but I can't back out from the free play to go practice first. I'd really like if I could go practice and get an extra free play with the one I already have. As far as I've been mashing buttons to back out though, I can't.
Huh, I spent my free play, went to practice and the free play results were in-tact when returning. :/

Amherst_Wind

Neo Member
I feel like this hasn't been mentioned but this game is actually far more unfair than most gacha/free to play games, because of the mix of skill & random chance involved, there is a realistic chance you could spend your money and get absolutely nothing at all in return, at least when I spend money on FF Record Keeper for example I always get something, even if it's not any good/what I wanted.

I really wanted to like this, I'm quite disappointed.

rpmurphy

I feel like this hasn't been mentioned but this game is actually far more unfair than most gacha/free to play games, because of the mix of skill & random chance involved, there is a realistic chance you could spend your money and get absolutely nothing at all in return, at least when I spend money on FF Record Keeper for example I always get something, even if it's not any good/what I wanted.

That may be true, but fuck no if they designed it such that there are "rare" badges obtained through a lottery or anything by random chance. All of the badges in any given panel generally can be obtained in 5 moves or under, and even if you are the worst gamer in the world, there are plenty of easy panels where you can get at least some badges.

They could do a "consolation" system, that I think would be good.

JoeM86

Wait do the panels reset every time you start a new round of plays? That would make it even worse.

No, they only reset if you tell them to, complete the panel or exit the game

Na, there are icons like that for many Mario characters including Dry Bones. Just using art that exists and putting it as a circle

The title screen for this game confuses me so much. Press A to start, but if you don't press A for a few seconds it just starts anyway - so what's the point of making me press A at all?

Considering there are over 3000 badges, it's meant to be impossible to get them all with free plays. Just get the ones you want.

As for the title screen, that was added with the latest patch 2 weeks ago. Seems it was requested.

Considering there are over 3000 badges, it's meant to be impossible to get them all with free plays. Just get the ones you want.

Well yeah, but my point is that you can't always get the ones you want with free plays, because they're too limited. You're going to get two a day maybe, probably never any more than five, and some boards that's not enough to get something which is buried at the bottom - then when you come back the next day the board has reset so you still can't get the badge you wanted.

Well, they do call it a badge arcade

Sure, but in general you don't need to plan 3-5 step strategies to win something with ufo catchers, you just move it into the general direction and hope it grabs something.

These panels are much more evil

Exactly. I'd prefer a pure gacha system over this.

JoeM86

Having played this game for almost a year, I don't believe there is that much random chance involved in this, though. It's all physics.

Edit: Oh, you mean the blue/red dummy badges. Well you're more likely to get one if you aren't going to hit 10 if that helps.

daydream

Banned
having no luck with free plays

also, one of the dummy bages ended up right next to the hole and it seemed pretty tough to actually get it to drop since you have to cover some distance with the catcher first to have it descend

Jakoo

I was kind of strangely excited for this to make it's way stateside and now that it's here I am not sure how I feel about it.

I do feel like in my experience the free plays have been plentiful enough for me to pop in every day. It seems like the physics are fair and I've been able to get a fair amount of badges thus far. 5 plays for a dollar seems pretty steep though, especially on some of the maps where "uncovering" the badge you really want is pretty cumbersome. I think I will only ever "buy" when they are running promotions for a free theme with a 2 dollar purchase. I don't really like the themes when they have music and things so I actually prefer that the ones provided here are more minimalist.

One thing this game would be perfect for (and we will never see it) is Amiibo support. This game is a prime example of the type of thing that scanning an Amiibo in should either give you some Amiibo exclusive badges or at least an Amiibo specific board where you have the opportunity to win some badges. Real disappointed that Nintendo wouldn't have the foresight to include that--if they are already milking somebody on Amiibos, they should at least let that person get some free pixel art.

-Horizon-

I'm glad they give us this option rather than force us to pay

but in the end, for the stickers that you do want, usually you will need 5+ moves to get it. Especially if those badges don't roll off or get stuck under other badges.

tmarg

Oh, awesome thanks.

Why don't the game just show us?

It's on the bottom screen when you select the promotion thing on the top screen.

I'm glad they give us this option rather than force us to pay

but in the end, for the stickers that you do want, usually you will need 5+ moves to get it. Especially if those badges don't roll off or get stuck under other badges.

Obviously, some boards are more challenging than others, but I don't really think that's true. There are gimmick boards that can be fully cleared in one turn, given skillful play, and there are also fairly straightforward boards where the badges are just lined up to pick up one by one, should you choose to play them that way.

braves01

Banned
I think this is pretty fun. The title music is cool, crane games are pretty fun, and the badges are neat. I don't think I'll ever spend any money on it, but it's fair enough. Yeah, you could mess up all 5 plays and not get anything, but if you spend $2 you get a guaranteed theme anyways, and I think those normally cost about $2. What I would pay money for are real Nintendo badges.

KingBroly

Banned
Bunny offered me 15 plays for $3...I'll stick to 10 for $2, thanks. It must go up to $5 or $10 as a maximum.

I got 19 badges today and got to Lv.3, which is 50 badges. Gonna hold off on spending money until the next cycle.

Bunny offered me 15 plays for $3...I'll stick to 10 for $2, thanks. It must go up to $5 or $10 as a maximum.

I got 19 badges today and got to Lv.3, which is 50 badges. Gonna hold off on spending money until the next cycle.

I just got the offer of 10 plays for $2. It's a shame the bunny doesn't offer a bonus for buying in bulk. It should have been 12 for $2 and 20 for $3.

c-murph

It's on the bottom screen when you select the promotion thing on the top screen..

Well, I'll be damn. Thanks again, Stranger.

Is there a list of the number of max plays you can buy and exp. needed to level? I unlocked the 15 plays... Does he go up to 20 and onward?

Chrom

Is there a list of the number of max plays you can buy and exp. needed to level? I unlocked the 15 plays... Does he go up to 20 and onward?

Based on my experience, I think 20 plays for $4 should be the last one. I bought and burned through that bundle but the bunny never offered me anything new after that.

As for levels, we have someone here who's at Level 10, which seems to be final, but that's all I know.

rpmurphy

Yeah, sorry, I was already at over 1600 badges when the statue update rolled out, so I had already exceeded the necessary amount for level 10. Since the bunny didn't always say what the requirements were or the number needed show up on the statue (for example, the number on the statue stayed at 999 for several resets of my game as I was leveling), I don't know the list. You do need 1000 or some number above that for the max though.

The number is unique badges, duplicates don't count. Large badges (ones that span 2+ spaces) count as however many spaces it takes up.

But once you get close to hitting 1000 unique badges, you have other things to worry about (using the Badge Box and saving home layouts).

Edit: might as well explain the Badge Box since people can use them already...

VERY IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT THE BADGE BOX

What is the Badge Box?
The system has a limit of 1000 unique badges that you can have out at any given time for decoration (for hardware reasons). The Badge Box is a fridge you can use to retire badges you collected.

Where do I access the Badge Box?
Talk to the bunny at the information booth.

How do I use the Badge Box?
The bunny explains this. You retire categories at a time -- e.g. Super Mario Bros., Animal Crossing Items, Splatoon, Pixel Collection, etc. You can always shuffle them back out, but you always have to have less than 1000 in total.

The bunny gives a fair warning every time, that any time you commit a change of the contents of the Badge Box, all of the existing badges you have out on your home screen will be put back. Rather than manually placing them again, you should save your home layout so that you can easily restore everything after you make changes to the Badge Box.

foltzie1

Dear Nintendo (because I know you read NeoGaf),

The badge store is the kind of thing that should update automatically via SpotPass, we should only have to go "online" to purchase plays.

Otherwise, this is dangerously charming.

It goes online each time to check for updates (even if SpotPass, it'd still need to check in case the SpotPass didn't update) and to make sure save data hasn't been altered

I understand the want to double check (especially since it seems to want to circumvent clock changing shenanigans).

However, the time from boot to being able to actually play is far too great.

This game has a lot of the charm of Candy Crush and yet it hurts to start the game. I hope Nintendo is looking closely at boot and network interactivity times, its something iOS does superbly well.

Jacknapes

There was me thinking you got "x" number of free plays a day, but i've been told it's through the practice machine you earn "free plays". Overall, it's not a bad little game. I've yet to give any actual money to the game, i may do but not in a rush.

Top Bottom