• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Badge Arcade |OT| Gotta Grab 'em All

As much as I was put off by the original idea, its actually fairly neat considering you can get "badges" that fully act as replacements for functions, such as a Mushroomed themed "Mii" icon.

You can just get by with free plays to be honest. I've been using it for 4 days and on 2 I got a free play. Enough to get the easier badges, mark you.

Still gotta get that Rosalina badge.

DeVeAn

As much as I was put off by the original idea, its actually fairly neat considering you can get "badges" that fully act as replacements for functions, such as a Mushroomed themed "Mii" icon.

You can just get by with free plays to be honest. I've been using it for 4 days and on 2 I got a free play. Enough to get the easier badges, mark you.

Still gotta get that Rosalina badge.
Got LBW settings badge how do I use it?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
CTzLMK4WcAAgwf8.jpg

Pink Bunny really wants you to buy plays.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm now missing just one badge from three different Link Between Worlds sets and they're ones that require a minimum of two plays to grab. *SIGH*

tmarg

I'm now missing just one badge from three different Link Between Worlds sets and they're ones that require a minimum of two plays to grab. *SIGH*

Being a completionist with this thing would be extraordinarily expensive. Even if you get those, more are bound to be added. I'd strongly recommend nobody goes down that rabbit hole.

Got LBW settings badge how do I use it?

You just place it on your home screen and use it instead of the default settings icon. Just dump the default one in a folder or off screen.

Fucking best thing about the badges. Also what other LBW badges were there? I've got no Zelda themes crane games yet.

rpmurphy

You just place it on your home screen and use it instead of the default settings icon. Just dump the default one in a folder or off screen.

Fucking best thing about the badges. Also what other LBW badges were there? I've got no Zelda themes crane games yet.
At the moment there are only 33 badges, 7 pages of LBW category. If you'd like, I can take screenshots of all of them. (5 panels of it are up on the NA game at the moment though and they probably have all been in the rotations so far already anyway)

Skrams

Huh, I spent my free play, went to practice and the free play results were in-tact when returning. :/

No, I mean that the course of events are free play get, spend free play, practice, free play get, and then spend free play. You can't seem to practice first and then spend your 2 free plays at the same time. When they offer you a free play it has to be used there and now and you can't back out to practice first and accrue another free play. I find that a bummer since the boards reset when you leave for practice. I just wish I could stack up 2 free plays to spend that exact same session instead of having to spend both right as you get them.

No, I mean that the course of events are free play get, spend free play, practice, free play get, and then spend free play. You can't seem to practice first and then spend your 2 free plays at the same time. When they offer you a free play it has to be used there and now and you can't back out to practice first and accrue another free play. I find that a bummer since the boards reset when you leave for practice. I just wish I could stack up 2 free plays to spend that exact same session instead of having to spend both right as you get them.

They don't, they only reset at the end of the day or when you close the app, I believe.

rpmurphy

Huh, that shouldn't be happening. From the time you start the game to until you close it (or the day rolls over and you're forced out), the badges don't reset unless you specifically tell the bunny to or you complete the panel. For example, today I got a free play, used that on a Splatoon panel to get all badges except two, went into practice and won a free play, then used it on one of the remaining badges of that Splatoon panel.

At the moment there are only 33 badges, 7 pages of LBW category. If you'd like, I can take screenshots of all of them. (5 panels of it are up on the NA game at the moment though and they probably have all been in the rotations so far already anyway)

If you don't mind I'd greatly appreciate it! Cant find all of them online. I've got around £4 on my 3DS so I'll save it for the Zelda badges and if there is a theme event. Nintendo got my pocket change.

Skrams

They don't, they only reset at the end of the day or when you close the app, I believe.

Huh, that shouldn't be happening. From the time you start the game to until you close it (or the day rolls over and you're forced out), the badges don't reset unless you specifically tell the bunny to or you complete the panel. For example, today I got a free play, used that on a Splatoon panel to get all badges except two, went into practice and won a free play, then used it on one of the remaining badges of that Splatoon panel.

If this is actually the case then I might just be an idiot and not noticed that the panel I tried before was just in a similar position to it's starting point. Sorry for spreading false info if this is actually the case. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I fucked up.

Kinsei

Banned
Being a completionist with this thing would be extraordinarily expensive. Even if you get those, more are bound to be added. I'd strongly recommend nobody goes down that rabbit hole.

Oh, I know. I've only spent enough money to get the LBW theme and plan on keeping it that way.

Until a Metroid, Rhythm Heaven, or Punch-Out! theme becomes available.

rpmurphy

If you don't mind I'd greatly appreciate it! Cant find all of them online. I've got around £4 on my 3DS so I'll save it for the Zelda badges and if there is a theme event. Nintendo got my pocket change.
Here ya go: http://imgur.com/a/7o06O

It's a bit of a pain since I need to use Miiverse as an intermediary to grab these screens.

As far as Zelda badges go, here are the current numbers:
Legend of Zelda: 102 badges, 19 pages
Link Between Worlds: 33 badges, 7 pages
Majora's Mask 3D: 80 badges, 14 pages
Wind Waker HD: 162 badges, 22 pages
Triforce Heroes: (idk, I've been on hiatus from playing it for a while so I haven't gotten any)

Does anybody know how to tie saved home menu configurations to certain themes and have them come up that way using the shuffle feature?

For example: I want the zelda badges I set up to be displayed only when using the link between worlds theme and the mario badges only when I'm using the mario spinner theme. I want them to show up automatically this way when using the theme shuffle feature.

JoeM86

Does anybody know how to tie saved home menu configurations to certain themes and have them come up that way using the shuffle feature?

For example: I want the zelda badges I set up to be displayed only when using the link between worlds theme and the mario badges only when I'm using the mario spinner theme. I want them to show up automatically this way when using the theme shuffle feature.

THere's an option in the home menu options (top left) to Save Layouts.

Coppanuva

Man I got a bunch of boxboy menu icons thinking they'd look awesome on my home screen only to realize my theme has a black background on the bottom page so I can't see them at all. Oops

After reading that the sad animation of the bunny on the mii plaza was taken out of the european version so they didnt brake the child law in the UK, im super surprised the let pass a lot of animations and phrases the bunny says in this game.
The fucker really wants your money, and I can see children asking parents for money just because "the fucking bunny told them so".
Like he makes jokes about his boss is the one that makes him pest you about putting real money and stuff, and a friend told me just today that she was saying no to the bunny on some questions, just for shits and giggles, and he directly said to her that as much as she said no, he was more pigheaded and he wouldnt stop asking.

im super surprised the let pass a lot of animations and phrases the bunny says in this game.
The fucker really wants your money, and I can see children asking parents for money just because "the fucking bunny told them so".

As you buy "plays" he offers you more and more in one go.

"I see you bought 5, why not 10?"

"10 plays! Having fun? How about 15?"

That cannot be good for children. At least I can tell the bunny to fucking do one.

Kinsei

Banned
After reading that the sad animation of the bunny on the mii plaza was taken out of the european version so they didnt brake the child law in the UK, im super surprised the let pass a lot of animations and phrases the bunny says in this game.
Like he makes jokes about his boss is the one that makes him pest you about putting real money and stuff, and a friend told me just today that she was saying no to the bunny on some questions, just for shits and giggles, and he directly said to her that as much as she said no, he was more pigheaded and he wouldnt stop asking.

"Mommy the bunny wants more money."

I can totally see this happening.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Another day and still no free play, okay bunny be that way but if I don't get that Rosalina and Peach badge you're dead and by dead I mean I am deleting your sorry ass.

I just want a badge of ma Wafiu. ;_;

Is there anyway to know what theme your gonna get if you spend the 2$? Did it 2days ago and got Link between worlds, pretty good look for the stickers ive gotten so far.

Wonder what theme is on now....

Forkball

I just found out you can potentially win free plays in the practice mode. I got all the LBW app replacements. Now that I know you can still get free plays I'll definitely pop it open every now and then.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is there anyway to know what theme your gonna get if you spend the 2$? Did it 2days ago and got Link between worlds, pretty good look for the stickers ive gotten so far.

Wonder what theme is on now....
On the bottom screen, if you wait long enough, it'll show you. It appears to be the castle floor from SMB.

javadoze

Anyone know if you can completely replace app icons with the app launcher badges (or will the normal app icons be there no matter what)?.

WVW69iknxNgp3pi-NG

Forkball

Anyone know if you can completely replace app icons with the app launcher badges (or will the normal app icons be there no matter what)?.

WVW69iknxNgp3pi-NG

Move the old apps into a folder.

The Japanese options are really interesting. They have a badge with Isabelle wearing the varia suit. That alone is better than anything on the US arcade.

forrest

formerly nacire
I've been enjoying this a little too much. So I'm sure it's been discussed, but after skimming the thread I didn't see an explanation.

Can someone explain the theme elevator? I know you buy 10 plays to get whichever bonus theme is being offered on the bottom screen, but can you access the elevator to see other themes to outright purchase? Every time I go to the elevator and hit A, I just get the same info regarding the bonus theme. The elevator itself and name implies a theme shop where you buy the badge friendly themes imo. What am I missing here?

rpmurphy

I've been enjoying this a little too much. So I'm sure it's been discussed, but after skimming the thread I didn't see an explanation.

Can someone explain the theme elevator? I know you buy 10 plays to get whichever bonus theme is being offered on the bottom screen, but can you access the elevator to see other themes to outright purchase? Every time I go to the elevator and hit A, I just get the same info regarding the bonus theme. The elevator itself and name implies a theme shop where you buy the badge friendly themes imo. What am I missing here?
The theme elevator is just for redeeming the bonus theme. At the end of spending your plays from the $2, the bunny will ask you if you want to immediately go redeem the theme. If you say yes, you'll be automatically taken into the elevator. You can choose no, and go to the elevator yourself.

For some reason, the bunny in the NA (and possibly EU as well?) don't show you what the current bonus theme is on the bottom screen at the elevator, which in the JP version he does. You have to watch the rotating info on the bottom screen in the lobby.

forrest

formerly nacire
The theme elevator is just for redeeming the bonus theme. At the end of spending your plays from the $2, the bunny will ask you if you want to immediately go redeem the theme. If you say yes, you'll be automatically taken into the elevator. You can choose no, and go to the elevator yourself.

For some reason, the bunny in the NA (and possibly EU as well?) don't show you what the current bonus theme is on the bottom screen at the elevator, which in the JP version he does. You have to watch the rotating info on the bottom screen in the lobby.

So there is no way to actually just buy the badge friendly themes at anytime? Or are they listed in the regular theme store? If so is there a way to tell that they are the themes meant as backdrops for your badges?

rpmurphy

So there is no way to actually just buy the badge friendly themes at anytime? Or are they listed in the regular theme store? If so is there a way to tell that they are the themes meant as backdrops for your badges?
Nope, you can only get them in Badge Collection, so if you are looking for a specific one, you're just gonna have to clock into the game every so often to see if there is a bonus theme available.

These themes have a special rabbit marking on the icon in your theme list to indicate that they are bonus themes from the game.

I apologize if this has been answered on an earlier page, but can you collect a few badges, delete the app, and still have them work on your Home Menu?

JoeM86

Wow, good job!

I really wish there was a Wiki or something somewhere saving sets.
A few months down the line when we're waiting for long rotations it would be really useful.

Same. There was a text based wiki in Japan, but they stopped updating it in around August. I wish there was a site that listed them all the way I do for Pokémon badges in it.

I got the first badge I really was hoping for today, a Blooper badge! It was a tricky one too, because the layout was one that you can't actually pick up any badges, you have to try and poke them through the small spaces with your claw pincers.

Used my other free play on some Super Mario Maker badges. I wanted to try the Bomb style claw to see how it works, ended up scoring a couple more blocks and a SMB style P Switch.

daydream

Banned
got all 9 dummy badges today and zero free plays, that's not cool

at least gimme something if i manage to get all of them, rabbit

Skrams

The practice crane today was good for free plays once I realized you could just get chomp and just drag him over by the teeth. 3 Free Plays today in total for me. Too bad my last bomb used for WFT made her bounce off the wall and come back. I'll try for Isabelle tomorrow since I should be able to get her with only 2 free plays.

I also made a dumb statement yesterday and thought panels reset if you leave the catcher at all. They actually just reset after a day because I'm dumb and didn't notice they stayed the same before.

hiro4

got all 9 dummy badges today and zero free plays, that's not cool

at least gimme something if i manage to get all of them, rabbit

I got all 12 dummies with a grab to spare and I got nothing! Well I got one cause I got more than 10 dummies but even so.

Still I'm already hooked! This isn't good for the wallet.

batfax

Mario Maker ?-Shroom badges make me excited. If they bring in some more I'll actually want the random Mario stage parts badges.

Got 13 badges in practice, no free plays on them :'(

I did get one for having over 10 badges though... but when using it the EU machines still haven't refreshed for the 4th day running :'(

I got 12 practice blocks last night! they all slid and fell into the hole after I moved one big piece but NOT ONE was a free grab...

so annoying, at least I had enough dummy pieces to get one go.

tmarg

Did OK with the Mario Maker free play. Did the new circular mario character badges, and managed to snag the Bowser one plugging the hole in the middle that usually full clears the board. I'm a little salty because the Bowser Jr. hit the hole just right to block it again, so I missed that and one other badge, but I still got Bowser, Peach, Dry Bones and Magikoopa.

Full cleared all 18 practice badges, but no hidden try and fucked up my 10+ try, so that was a wash. I'll probably go for the goomba in a boot badge tomorrow.

No new program launching badges available today, which is kinda disappointing. The MM stuff is cool though. I've got a ton of Mario stuff at this point though, I kinda wish they had done something else first.

Top Bottom