• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Banning YouTube Livestreams as Part of Nintendo Creators Program

DavidDesu

I think he was playing PUBG or something.

Basically a non-Nintendo game at the time.

It’s weird they’d stop live streaming just in the off chance some idiot says something stupid that they feel would then be connected with their game. Amidst all the PDP uproar I had no idea at all what game he said that shit on, it was irrelevant. Just annoying Nintendo want to keep such a ludicrously tight leash on their content, content they’re even making money on and have a huge influence over since they can obviously revoke a particular YTers account whenever they want. Seems like overkill that’s detrimental to the company itself and more importantly its fans.

Dyle

This is shitty, but totally understandable given the impending collapse of Youtube's ad revenue for gaming. I imagine they're doing this so that they can position the Nintendo Creators Program as a specific subset of monetized gaming content on Youtube. We already know that advertisers can pick out gaming content and I could very well see Nintendo working out a deal with Youtube to make their program a way for advertisers to safely buy ads on videos that they can feel particularly confident won't contain controversial content. It's still a bad look though and is indicative of just how quickly the Youtube bubble could pop for content creators, especially given the recent changes to their Patreon policies

oti

Banned
They probably don't trust gamers' live, unfiltered vocabulary. I don't blame them.
Advertisers want total control over their properties. That's not new. Nintendo is just really rigid about it since they don't want to accept the power that Youtubers can have and they also absolutely need to defend their family friendly image.

In the current system Nintendo holds all the cards and seeing how little harm all the prominent Youtubers with their critiques of Nintendo's Youtube policies have actually caused, I'd say they are irrelevant. Nintendo doesn't care because they don't need to. Youtubers should just move on.

I wish we'd get a court ruling just so we can get rid of the ambiguity. If that happens I'd expect the situation to get even worse for Youtubers though.

I really don’t see the problem, the precendent for ownership of content was set many years ago.
Whether it is movies, music or books as an owner of the product, you do not have the rights to distribute or use these works as your own content.

Esepciallu so if it is part of a commercial enterprise.

Every time you hear music on TV or in another piece of media, it’s useage has either been paid for or has been authorised by the content owner.

Why should games be any different, why should they forfeit all rights to continuing to earn from their own products , their own investments.

I totally agree. We are definitely in the minority here.

ec0ec0

I suppose it's worth quoting from Nintendo's guidelines in the website linked in the email, which go into a bit more detail from their perspective:

This should have been in the OP. I understood it now.

Aldo

It should be noted that both options are extremly shitty.

Option 1 means you're not reaching ANY of your userbase, and instead have to build it from scratch. Option 2 means every video has a delay of several days before approval, AND you make less on them since Nintendo's shares a smaller % of the profits

The problem with PDP is that his Schtick is about being the most unbearable 8 year old you can find.

I still don't understand what makes this guy entertaining.

Venom.

Oh come on people, stop trying to make PewDiePie into the gaming anti-Christ. Nintendo have always protective of their content and this move is not in relation to one person but a move to control and maximise monetisation of their IP. Don't forget the furore when they first banned Nintendo content unless it was in a partner channel where they get a share of the revenue? This is just that mentality being extended. Shortly after the Switch reveal that they said sharing video would be coming to their platform, maybe live streaming will be reserved for their online service.

My concern is that after the DMCA move by Campo Santo and this by Nintendo, publishers will start to exercise control of who can demo and play their games on YouTube. What if these are 'the good old days' and they're coming to an end?

Audioboxer

This is ridiculous and anyone standing for Nintendo saying it's because bad people exist within online media are verging into being accepting of anti-consumer practices. You do not ban everything off the internet because bad people exist. Nintendo choosing to ride on a wave of exploitation after internet drama does not give them a free pass to be anti-consumer.

Paging Jim Sterling to yet again have to blast Nintendo.

Atlus Japan is laughing after Nintendo Japan seemingly say watch what we do this week. Anyone want to tell Konami now might be a good time to do something?

Oh come on people, stop trying to make PewDiePie into the gaming anti-Christ. Nintendo have always protective of their content and this move is not in relation to one person but a move to control and maximise monetisation of their IP. Don't forget the furore when they first banned Nintendo content unless it was in a partner channel where they get a share of the revenue? This is just that mentality being extended. Shortly after the Switch reveal that they said sharing video would be coming to their platform, maybe live streaming will be reserved for their online service.

My concern is that after the DMCA move by Campo Santo and this by Nintendo, publishers will start to exercise control of who can demo and play their games on YouTube. What if these are 'the good old days' and they're coming to an end?

Good riddance. Imo.

Darhkwing

I am fine if i can not register streams with the NCP. What i am not fine is if i can not stream Nintendo games on my channel anymore. It's 80% Nintendo games I stream and probably the 70% of my videos are Nintendo content.

I just hope this applies to channels who have signed their entire channel up to the NCP and not ones that just register video.

How will they even know if you are streaming Nintendo games?

Youtube is just seriously going so downhill lately.

Nairume

Banned
LOL at people accusing PDP about Nintendo doing Nintendo shit...
And yet they still only did it after the most famous livestreamer had yet another streaming related scandal.

To be clear, I don't agree with what they are doing. I just see why they did it, and, yes, PDP is ruining shit for everyone.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I don't buy the PDP excuse. That's like locking up your kids inside your home because they can get sunburnt outside.

I don't believe tbis is solely due to PDP because nintendo has been mad shitty about monetization for a while. But he definitely made this happen quicker.

Tiops

I really, really doubt it's anything related to PewdiePie lol. This is only for people that are signed to Nintendo Creators Program, is PDP even part of it?

This is just Nintendo being backward as fuck, as they ALWAYS were. If this was the first shitty thing by Nintendo regarding Youtubers you could assume it was due do PDP, but it's not. Jim Sterling had trouble with Nintendo games all the time in his channel.

I can imagine that Nintendo don't want their games associated with, or for kids searching for their games to be greeted by, cock heads who casually shout racial slurs at their in-game opponents. This is unfortunate and unfair, but inevitable.

Not everything is a conspiracy out to mislead you and take your money ffs.
This is definitely it. In these recent months filled with hateful gamers suddenly coming out of the woodwork I can actually see why a backwards rule like this is being pushed. I don't like it but I feel like it might be a necessary evil

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If this is because YouTube totally fails in curating their content and people like PDP happen, then I agree with this decision.

nynt9

And yet they still only did it after the most famous livestreamer had yet another streaming related scandal.

To be clear, I don't agree with what they are doing. I just see why they did it, and, yes, PDP is ruining shit for everyone.

PewDiePie isn't known for streaming. He normally puts out edited let's play videos. PUBG was one of the first times he was streaming. If he was a prominent streamer, he would have blurted out racial slurs years ago.

Apathy

The problem with PDP is that his Schtick is about being the most unbearable 8 year old you can find.

I still don't understand what makes this guy entertaining.

Are you an annoying 8 year old boy that yells about raping your opponent mother in online games or saying the n-word for the "luls"? No? That's why you don't find that piece of trash entertaining.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I don't buy the PDP excuse. That's like locking up your kids inside your home because they can get sunburnt outside.

I don't know. This is the same company that shut down Swapnote, the 3DS messaging service, after one incident.

Jennings

Not a big deal for me. If I can't watch others play it I'll just buy it and play it myself. All I need now is a Switch.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The truth is Charles Martinet has been pretty livid for years because all these live streamers/let's players keep talking over his Mario voices.

He doesn't Yahoo and Letsago just so some pimple faced teenager can talk all over it.

So really, don't blame Nintendo, blame yourselves, for ruining the treasured moments of a nice man.

Top Bottom