• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Brings Picross DS to Europe!

Capndrake

Caesar III said:
edit: can anyone who has the european version explain what you can find under the "Events" Button in the bottom WiFi Mode? This isn't avaiable in the japanese version :(

According to a FAQ on GameFAQs (By DEngel, nonetheless) the JP version does have Events, and the first one available is a Spring puzzle pack.

errm, i'll check it.

in wifi menu of the japanese version:

play online
-play against someone
-play against friend

download picross
-classics download
-share picross

there is no button :( but i'll check gamefaq.

thanks anyway :)

ah, k, this button is avaiable if there is an event going on. at the moment there is no event, so the button is hide.

Capndrake

Alright, got the EU version today.

Is it just me or are half the downloadable puzzles "English dummy" or something similar to that? I downloaded Mario's Picross puzzles fine, but NP and Super Picross (Which is misspelled Supper Picross, to add to the injury) only contain puzzles that only have a single square to chisel. What the hell?

Capndrake said:

Is it just me or are half the downloadable puzzles "English dummy" or something similar to that? I downloaded Mario's Picross puzzles fine, but NP and Super Picross (Which is misspelled Supper Picross, to add to the injury) only contain puzzles that only have a single square to chisel. What the hell?
Yeah, same for the German version. tho Super Picross is spelled correctly.

Cool game, but for the 15x15 puzzles, I prefer using the button controls

nli10

Picking this up after work - didn't order online as I have store credit.

How's it compare to the old GB one?

painey

can anyone confirm its identical to the japanese one in terms of puzzles? im not going to buy it again just for some english menus

dock

The ability to download more puzzles sounds fantastic!
How does this work? Is there a finite amount of storage space?

Polarium would have been insane if it had that feature.

Capndrake

There's room for 100 downloadable puzzles, and packs each contain 10 puzzles. You can, however, delete specific puzzles (Say you like 5 out of the 10 puzzles in a pack, you can keep those 5 and dump the other 5). You need at least 10 open slots to download a new pack, though.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Think I might buy this after trying the tutorial on the NOE site. How come amazon have it at £24.99 and with a 4 to 6 week delivery time, are they not allowed to sell it or something?

:Motorbass said:
Yeah, same for the German version. tho Super Picross is spelled correctly.

Cool game, but for the 15x15 puzzles, I prefer using the button controls

you just need some practice. At first I choose only the button, too.

But now I love the stylus mode and never want to go back.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I wish the last 4 Mario Picross packs (and the Mario Super Picross pack) actually had puzzles in them. I guess they'll release them in due time?

jepense

Picked this up today and it's awesome. I can see people preferring the button controls, but I personally really like to use the stylus.

NotWii

Banned
I prefer buttons, lets me see everything.
And it's easier to mark stuff with X (Press B Vs Zoom Out, Select 'X', Zoom In, Mark Square)

I'd like the stylus controls if they had a hybrid mode, where you can hold buttons to mark them, zoom out, move the view, etc.

jepense

Wii said:
I prefer buttons, lets me see everything.
And it's easier to mark stuff with X (Press B Vs Zoom Out, Select 'X', Zoom In, Mark Square)

I'd like the stylus controls if they had a hybrid mode, where you can hold buttons to mark them, zoom out, move the view, etc.
You can choose between marking, x's, zooming and moving by pressing corresponding directions on the d-pad you know. And even if you don't like to zoom in and out, you see the whole grid on the upper screen when zoomed in. I do understand wanting to have the active play grid in the bottom screen zoomed out all the time, but zoom doesn't bother me so I prefer the stylus.

womp

Capndrake said:

Seconded...Anyone know what this is about? This is really whacked.

NotWii

Banned
jepense said:
You can choose between marking, x's, zooming and moving by pressing corresponding directions on the d-pad you know. And even if you don't like to zoom in and out, you see the whole grid on the upper screen when zoomed in. I do understand wanting to have the active play grid in the bottom screen zoomed out all the time, but zoom doesn't bother me so I prefer the stylus.
:lol Wow, how could I not notice the top screen?
And hrmm I never experimented with buttons.
Thanks for the tip

jesusraz

Milhouse31 said:
Lots of ads for that one on tv

Really? Which country are you from? I didn't think it was getting much of a push here in the UK from what I saw at retail on Friday...(came out alongside Ubisoft's Platinum Sudoku as well, which features the cool Kakuro!)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Neo Child said:
Thirded, I only noticed that once I downloaded about 4 packs...

Fourthed. Same here...Noticed after the 4th pack.

Are we the same that we have just the first pack in Marios Picross to download?
Any Word about the japanese version? I read that the only pack which is "downloadable" was the first pack to be revealed in japan. So maybe they will give us the other packs in the next time. Maybe every week 1 pack.
*guesses for 1 pack every friday*

womp

Toma said:
Fourthed. Same here...Noticed after the 4th pack.

Are we the same that we have just the first pack in Marios Picross to download?
Any Word about the japanese version? I read that the only pack which is "downloadable" was the first pack to be revealed in japan. So maybe they will give us the other packs in the next time. Maybe every week 1 pack.
*guesses for 1 pack every friday*

All the Japanese packs are available and have been for some time now...But with this European release all I am getting are "Dummy 10" for all the packs after the Mario Picross ones. Its almost like they are placemarkers for the eventual releases but why show anything at all?

Very weird.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
womp said:
All the Japanese packs are available and have been for some time now...But with this European release all I am getting are "Dummy 10" for all the packs after the Mario Picross ones. Its almost like they are placemarkers for the eventual releases but why show anything at all?

Very weird.

Did I read that right? You have ALL Mario Picross Puzzles to Download?
I have just the first pack ._. the other 4 are placeholders. Europe has one Server as a whole? (this is a question)

womp

Toma said:
Did I read that right? You have ALL Mario Picross Puzzles to Download?
I have just the first pack ._. the other 4 are placeholders. Europe has one Server as a whole? (this is a question)

The Mario Picross pack I DL'ed had 10 puzzles in it. But there are 10 packs TOTAL in Japan at the moment (10x10=100). I am assuming these will be released in similar style for the Euro release as they were in Japan which was like every week or so.

Right now it seems to be the concensus that the Mario Pack is the only one readily available...But I still don't get why Nintendo has all the packs listed when they are basically 'Empty shells'.

Toma

Servers are now tidy. They removed all packs which dont have puzzles in it. You can now download Pack 1&2 of Marios Picross.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just bought it and skimmed through Easy mode.
I've always loved Picross and it's a great game just to play for a few minutes.

However, I can't connect to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, despite my route working perfectly in test mode.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
How many puzzles are you guys getting in Mario Picross Pack 2? I get 7, but I thought it was supposed to be 10 per pack?

I just wanted to post here how intense onlineplay is. Excite even! :lol I won the first two games with a comfortable lead (you play two 10x10 puzzles vs. a random person (friendplay is there too, of course)) the next 2 opponents dropped giving me 2 free wins to push my statistics to 4 games 4 wins.

Then.

Japanese Player.

4423 games, 3030 wins...

Needless to say, I lost. I was halfway through the first puzzle, when he/she finished both after 1:01:xx minutes. :0

Does anyone have some nice custom puzzles? I just made a test one, didn't put much effort in it and uploaded it to my online folder (great system!) My FC is 373761 637824.
Public puzzles with voting would be the icing, but nice anyway.

Neo Child said:
You registered me? Got any puzzles.
Yep. And I just did and looked for friends' folders but saw nothing. Do you have anything uploaded?
Because I have a test puzzle up, try to get it; I'm not online atm.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I finally managed to get online just after midnight. Wonder why it wasn't working for me yesterday.

CANLI

On gamefaqs, I saw 1 july for the US release date.

The game is really great! Better than Tetris and funnier.

Octagon

Got the game yesterday and i enjoy it so far. I prefer using stylus controls though others might disagree with me.
I used to do a lot of these puzzles in magazines when i still went to school so stylus control feels more natural.
I did clear the easy mode yesterday and some puzzle on normal, after that my DS ran out of power.

I do miss the Mario themes though that Super Picross (SFC) and Mario's Picross (GB) had.

It's actually listed for July 30. I just so happened to be speaking with a Nintendo representative on the Nintendo hotline earlier today and she said she had no idea. Perhaps I should call again now that I've seen this.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
jon bones said:
How many puzzles are you guys getting in Mario Picross Pack 2? I get 7, but I thought it was supposed to be 10 per pack?
When I first downloaded at midnight I only got five. Thinking I was missing two puzzles I just redownloaded it. Now I have 10 puzzles.

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake, I got 8 in the first and 7 in the second. The game doesn't seperate them onto pages, so the first two puzzles of pack one are on the first page.

Neo Child

Banned
Yep. And I just did and looked for friends' folders but saw nothing. Do you have anything uploaded?
Because I have a test puzzle up, try to get it; I'm not online atm.

Yeh, got your puzzle. Thanks :)

Got a few puzzles myself, not brilliant though.

jepense

I just wanted to post here how intense onlineplay is. Excite even!

Does anyone have some nice custom puzzles? I just made a test one, didn't put much effort in it and uploaded it to my online folder (great system!) My FC is 373761 637824.
Public puzzles with voting would be the icing, but nice anyway.
I agree, the online is ace. (Though I'm sure the people with thousands of matches already know many of the puzzles by heart.)

My FC is 210552 929814. I've uploaded one puzzle. I have made several, but haven't put them up. I won't probably have the chance to do it this week not being home, but there'll be more eventually.

Top Bottom