• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Brings Picross DS to Europe!

Neo Child said:
Yeh, got your puzzle. Thanks :)

Got a few puzzles myself, not brilliant though.

Okay cool. I wasn't online since so the puzzles really are on some server. Nice. I'll add some cooler puzzles over the next days and get yours when you uploaded them.

Adding you too, jepense!

Neo Child

Banned
jepense said:
I agree, the online is ace. (Though I'm sure the people with thousands of matches already know many of the puzzles by heart.)

My FC is 210552 929814. I've uploaded one puzzle. I have made several, but haven't put them up. I won't probably have the chance to do it this week not being home, but there'll be more eventually.

Hey,
Got yours
Could you add my new FC, old game was corrupt:
051639-479001

Walter Matthau

Gold Member
Wario64 said:
Is this game coming to the US?

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=180426
american%20flag.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My friend code is 421006 638285. I have only uploaded one puzzle at the moment with one of the worst drawings ever.

nli10

Really loving this so far - anyone else doing the daily Picross?

I have C B C so far, not sure how it works these out. I'm thinking it's an average because although I have good best scores I have some low ones from when I've tried to do it when half asleep just to get the credit for doing that days.

My friend code is 339401 956281 if anyone wants to swap puzzles. :) I added all above me in thread.

Alpha_eX

I have the japanese version, want an english version and could go out and buy the PAL version tomorrow but... I really hate the PAL boxes, should I wait for the US release and import or stop being so petty and just get the PAL version with the oversized box?

nli10

Alpha_eX said:
I have the japanese version, want an english version and could go out and buy the PAL version tomorrow but... I really hate the PAL boxes, should I wait for the US release and import or stop being so petty and just get the PAL version with the oversized box?

I actually prefer the PAL boxes AND you get 250 VIP points!

nli10

Alpha_eX said:
250 VIP Points mean nothing to me, I live in the UK, you must know how 'great' the European VIP store is.

Yeah - I'm UK too. I have thousands of VIP points just sitting there :) waiting for Wii points cards to come back.

mrkgoo

I think I understand the concept of picross - how close is it to something like sudoku, in terms of logic solving?

I just got Sudoku for my iPod, and it's a really good version. I carry my iPod most places - would picross be an awesome timekiller like sudoku? I love just whipping the iPod out and solving a few puzzles.

Post your friendcodes. I want nice new custom puzzles to check out. Got all of Neo Child's and BGBW's and solved them (except a big one with a bit too much guessing needed). Nice work guys. ;]

nli10

:Motorbass said:
Post your friendcodes. I want nice new custom puzzles to check out. Got all of Neo Child's and BGBW's and solved them (except a big one with a bit too much guessing needed). Nice work guys. ;]

My friend code is 339401 956281 if anyone wants to swap puzzles. I added all above me in thread.

I've only got two stored in there so far - I'll need to get making some more.

meppi

This is my first Picross game, don't know why really, but I just never came across one before.

At first I couldn't get into it. Felt a bit boring. But that might have been since it starts out so easy.

I went back to it a couple hours later and for some reason that's when it clicked.
Can't put this game down now. I'm loving it! :)

I've only made 1 puzzle myself, but it's quite a nice one I think.
Planning to do a bunch more when I find some time.

My friend code is:

And I'll add everyone that has posted up till now and also the people that come later, who mention that they are adding me.

nli10

I'll add some cooler puzzles over the next days and get yours when you uploaded them.

Just did the first 20x20 motorbass one - you put a lot of effort into the actual pic :D it looks cool! (36 mins :) )

test_account

XP-39C²
Is Picross easy to learn? I got Mario's Picross for Super Famicom, but i never really tried it out. If its easy to play i was thinking of buying the DS version for my parents.

nli10

test_account said:
Is Picross easy to learn? I got Mario's Picross for Super Famicom, but i never really tried it out. If its easy to play i was thinking of buying the DS version for my parents.

Full tutorials included in the game. If you can learn Sudoku then you can learn Picross no problems.

test_account said:
This will teach you the basic things:
http://www.touchgenerations.com/enGB/games/picross/how_to_play.php

and @ everyone: make even more puzzles! I solved all of yours and they are really nice! I check the folders nearly every day :>

I just uploaded another one, which took 3 hours to make. I think it will remain the only one of its kind... ;]

maynerd

Banned
Played Picross last night. Nice game. VERY nice. I dig it. It reminds me of Sudoku (which I love). I will enjoy this game very much.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I solved your puzzles and your art puts mine to shame. :(

I'll add the newly posted friendcodes and hopefully come up with some better puzzles.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
do you say it 'pie-cross' or 'pee-cross' or what?

Also, screenshots? I hardly know what picross is.

jepense

catfish said:
do you say it 'pie-cross' or 'pee-cross' or what?
Also, screenshots? I hardly know what picross is.

It's essentially a crossword puzzle but with a picture instead of words, so picross = picture + crossword - word. :)

Motorbass: you have really put effort to the "solved" images in your puzzles.
I replaced some of my puzzles with new ones, although I think some of the old ones I had were better.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
jepense said:
Motorbass: you have really put effort to the "solved" images in your puzzles.
He sure does. I just solved the Magnum P.I. puzzle and I was quite amazed by the "solved" image.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
man this game is waaay better than sudoku.

My minor complaint though is when it's a 15 by 15 board, I find the zooming etc a bit unintuitive. I think I would be better at the game working with the zoomed out view. I guess that's just a function of screen size though.

Man it really makes you feel clever when you are totally stumped and then eventually figure it out.

Great great game.

ShinNL

Press the 'Drag' icon once with your stylus. Then use the buttons (if you're left handed) or the d-pad (if you're right handed) to draw or to put X's. It works a lot better for me and doesn't feel as zoomy.

nli10

Jcgamer60 said:
I find dpad controls work better with this game.

Also, yes, the zooming sucks for me personally.

Stylus for 10x10 or less incl. online and daily Picross.

D pad for 15x15 and over.

CaVaYeRo

Me too until I got to the 15x15 puzzles.

But I feel perfect with the stylus control, including 15x15. I'm in Normal - level 4 and just unlocked level 6.

And I'm addicted

but damn! I always forget the daily picross! I quickly go for the next one!

EDIT:

I imagine you know you can press any direction of the D-Pad while in "touch" mode. Thus, you can draw/cross/zoom quickly without touching the tools panel.

I mean: "move" is always selected, so you browse the picross. Then, keep "up" pressed and you're drawing until you leave it. "Down" for crosses. That's all and it works fine.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Add me to the importer list -- my number is:

I've added everyone in the thread -- looking forward to playing through some of your puzzles. Haven't added anything quite yet, though.

Here's hoping for some puzzle-swapping interoperability with the US version, though I'm not holding my breath.

CaVaYeRo said:
But I feel perfect with the stylus control, including 15x15. I'm in Normal - level 4 and just unlocked level 6.

And I'm addicted

but damn! I always forget the daily picross! I quickly go for the next one!

EDIT:

I imagine you know you can press any direction of the D-Pad while in "touch" mode. Thus, you can draw/cross/zoom quickly without touching the tools panel.

I mean: "move" is always selected, so you browse the picross. Then, keep "up" pressed and you're drawing until you leave it. "Down" for crosses. That's all and it works fine.
Well yeah, it may be okay for easy levels, and there may be people who even play 20x20 puzzles with the stylus, but the zoom-in and -out and moving is too confusing for me when I try to concentrate on the numbers (and they disappear). Even switching focus between the top and bottom screens isn't comfortable.

I need the static playing-field in the later levels where the puzzles aren't obvious anymore.
That's why I find the button controls for the 15x15 and 20x20 Puzzles perfect. Daily Training, online etc, I do with the stylus of course.

added you brandonnn :]

nli10

I just got the final Daily Picross mode 'Secret' forgot to read the instructions before I started it but I still got a 'C'... :lol

I am C B B A C (B overall) so far. I had a couple of bad runs on Non stop as I was using Picross in the mornings in bed as I woke up (bad idea).

I'll add the new people and hopefully make some more fun small puzzles for you guys.

Mario Football is my current hot game though :)

dock

Picked this up a couple of days ago, it's really amazing!

Already downloaded "mario Picross packs 1+2" from the classic download section. Making picross puzzles seems like great fun as well.

Do you both need to have registered each other to access the online folders?

nli10

dock UK said:
Do you both need to have registered each other to access the online folders?

Pretty sure you do - just add everyone here, pop your code in a post and hope for teh best :D

jepense

nli10 said:
I am C B B A C (B overall) so far. I had a couple of bad runs on Non stop as I was using Picross in the mornings in bed as I woke up (bad idea).

I recently got to all A's (S overall). I think you get an A if the average time is below 30 s.

I also managed to complete the 10 N-mode levels (didn't do it alone though). Level 11 has a nice theme. I also like F-mode level 9 theme for some reason. :)

I put some new puzzles up for downloading as well.

Capndrake

Bump, NoE's doing a summer promotion for the game:

You’ve had a lot of fun putting your artistic skills to the test and creating your own Picross DS puzzles. Now, we invite you to share your best puzzle with the world!

Submit your favourite My Picross creation to us during our My Picross Summer Promotion for a chance to have your puzzle included in an exclusive Picross DS download pack. We’ll select what we think are the best puzzles from the submissions and put those selections together in a 'Best of Europe' puzzle pack.

Players will be able to log on to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection through their Picross DS game and download the compilation pack that features the best puzzles in Europe and also a pack being compiled in Japan.

You can submit your puzzle any time between now and 27 August. For more information about how to submit your puzzles, visit the Picross DS section of the Touch! Generations website.

Picross DS is in shops now, only for Nintendo DS.

Top Bottom