• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

I mean, I'm not saying the blur filter is great, but no, that's not at all what an NES image looks like or was meant to look like.

Actually it does look like that on an rgb modded nes which displays the pure output that the NES renders.

So let's not bring up the "nah, shitty RF is how it was supposed to look" debate.

Actually it does look like that on an rgb modded nes which displays the pure output that the NES renders.

So let's not bring up the "nah, shitty RF is how it was supposed to look" debate.

If you open the can of worms...

Kirby is looking rather anorexic in that "pure" output... Almost like he want designed to be viewed as straight pixel art. He's out of proportion since he's not stretched to a proper 4:3 aspect ratio.

Rich!

If you open the can of worms...

Kirby is looking rather anorexic in that "pure" output... Almost like he want designed to be viewed as straight pixel art. He's out of proportion since he's not stretched to a proper 4:3 aspect ratio.

Well that's not really my argument. My CRT displays games in 4:3 and it still looks crystal clear. It certainly doesn't add a shitload of blur like Nintendo does.

But will it be the original 60hz NTSC versions or the 50hz PAL versions converted to 60hz with constant stutter as in Super Metroid WiiU VC?

It will be the US versions, Final Fantasy never came out in Europe, Super C and Ninja Gaiden are Probotector II and Shadow Warrior here.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Super C is a great game, but the original Contra is one of the staples of the NES. It's really unfortunate that it's not included here. I wonder what the deal is with Konami and that game. It hasn't been released on the VC in North America for Wii, 3DS, or Wii U and it's not a part of this package. Really odd.

I can imagine it being a legal thing, since it's transformed to "Probotector" in Europe, and Super C is not (I don'T think it even came out over here). With SC, they just can sell the thing "as is" everywhere without any need to adapt the content, with Contra it wouldn't be that easy I'd imagine.

Edit: Super C was Probotector II? Well there goes my theory then :D

All the games on the list are already available on Virtual Console. If one is missing, it must be the same reasons it's missing on the Virtual Console too.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
as long as Nintendo don't give us in UK/Europe/Australia the 50hz versions again - if they do, it's as good as worthless. I can also see them adding the ghastly darkening and blur filter that plagues the Wii U NES VC worldwide. Safe to say, I have zero faith in Nintendo with regards to emulation. They have a horrendous track record.

I am a bit worried that seeing the extra cash potential of selling a limited catalogue together with hardware they make a good profit on that the VC initiative on their consoles will wither and be taken out. I am worried Nintendo will think "why selling the ROM's when I can also sell them HW". They will expect you to buy NX for NX only titles then a plethora of consoles to play SNES, NES, and N64 titles.

I would like VC and a software based approach to be part of NX too and not replaced by an array of boxes.

I am a bit worried that seeing the extra cash potential of selling a limited catalogue together with hardware they make a good profit on that the VC initiative on their consoles will wither and be taken out. I am worried Nintendo will think "why selling the ROM's when I can also sell them HW". They will expect you to buy NX for NX only titles then a plethora of consoles to play SNES, NES, and N64 titles.

I would like VC and a software based approach to be part of NX too and not replaced by an array of boxes.

The thing is, which would make them more money. Selling both a Virtual Console catalogue and a line of plug and play classics.

Or just the plug and play classics.

Lace

I'd love a SNES console and a N64 console that upscale games (preferably to 4k but anything higher than native would be great).

Holy hell why am I considering getting this? There are a million ways for me to play old NES games via emulation and/or on other Nintendo consoles like the gameboy advance SP, yet I'm totally gonna get wooed into buying this just for the nostalgia of the way it looks!

Well played, Nintendo, well played.

Fredrik

Cucurbitacée;210170163 said:
It will be the US versions, Final Fantasy never came out in Europe, Super C and Ninja Gaiden are Probotector II and Shadow Warrior here.
Nice it seems like you're right! Nintendo uk website actually have links to all the games included with the mini and the games I checked at least said that the Wii U Virtual Console games was the US version of the games, so hopefully they're using those versions for the mini too.
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Ni...ni-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1124287.html

JayBabay

What kind of cut do the developers of these games make on each sale? Like is Nintendo's main source of revenue going to be the hardware, or do they make a significant portion of a sale from VC titles that they didn't directly develop?

-shadow-

Probotector > Contra
Because robots are awesome
The only reason they should even release a 50hz ROM right here people! This game is so much better with the robots. I just love it!

N64 games are the real travesty though, compounded with the absolute worst input lag I've ever encountered in an official release. It's shockingly bad.
Which is weird because the input lag seems to be a case by case situation. Many complain about terrible lag, while many others including me don't have any input lag. It's really odd and I honestly have no idea what could be the problem.

Though that filter. Just give me the damn option to get rid of it already!

radcliff

You can remove the blur filter on NES WII U VC games by going into the systems menu and selecting a resolution other than 1080p. For whatever reason, only outputting in 1080p results in the blur, at least on my tv where it is removed entirely and the games look noticeably sharper at 1080i or 720p. Don't know how to remove the darkness filter, though.

Rich!

You can remove the blur filter on NES WII U VC games by going into the systems menu and selecting a resolution other than 1080p. For whatever reason, only outputting in 1080p results in the blur, at least on my tv where it is removed entirely and the games look really crisp at 1080i or 720p. Don't know how to remove the darkness filter, though.

The darkness filter can be removed...but it requires unpacking the game, editing the parameters using a dev program and then repacking it with the correct xorpads (the Wii U equivalent of them, I don't recall the proper term). Which is a huge pain in the ass and too much effort really.

It's significantly easier in the DS VC though on the Wii U where all it takes is a simple change in the config file (which is brilliantly laid out for easy editing) and the game is just a dumped DS ROM in a zip file that you can replace with any other.

Great idea, but tbh, I feel like most NES games have aged pretty horribly (Only games on this thing that'd hold up well would be the 4 Mario Bros games imo), and there's a lot of the good NES titles missing from the list there on top of that, so I'm gonna pass I think.

They ever release a SNES equivalent of this though I am in day one.

radcliff

The darkness filter can be removed...but it requires unpacking the game, editing the parameters using a dev program and then repacking it with the correct xorpads (the Wii U equivalent of them, I don't recall the proper term). Which is a huge pain in the ass and too much effort really.

It's significantly easier in the DS VC though on the Wii U where all it takes is a simple change in the config file (which is brilliantly laid out for easy editing) and the game is just a dumped DS ROM in a zip file that you can replace with any other.

I don't worry too much about the darkness filter since I play my games on vivid mode (sacrilege for some, I know, but I like it) so I never notice it. But the blur filter was annoying me and found the solution that I posted.

Phoenixus

I noticed Game in the UK have started preorders, same price as Amazon surprisingly. Curious to see how long until they've sold out. :p

AdanVC

I will be so fucking pissed if we get gimped visually ROMs.

With a vaseline smear look all over it. Yikes! But then again, this thing will have HDMI input so hoping for the best. Especially if those 30 games are going to be the only ones available for this device wich it seems like it.

Rich!

With a vaseline smear look all over it. Yikes! But then again, this thing will have HDMI input so hoping for the best. Especially if those 30 games are going to be the only ones available for this device wich it seems like it.

Wii U has HDMI output and nes games look like shit on it.

test_account

XP-39C²
as long as Nintendo don't give us in UK/Europe/Australia the 50hz versions again - if they do, it's as good as worthless. I can also see them adding the ghastly darkening and blur filter that plagues the Wii U NES VC worldwide. Safe to say, I have zero faith in Nintendo with regards to emulation. They have a horrendous track record.
Thats hyperbole. But concidering that this is HDMI only, i dont see why they would release a different version.

You can remove the blur filter on NES WII U VC games by going into the systems menu and selecting a resolution other than 1080p. For whatever reason, only outputting in 1080p results in the blur, at least on my tv where it is removed entirely and the games look noticeably sharper at 1080i or 720p. Don't know how to remove the darkness filter, though.

This is either a placebo effect or it really is just your TV, because this doesn't work for me at all.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This is either a placebo effect or it really is just your TV, because this doesn't work for me at all.
Not necessarily, if the picture is vertically spanning the entire frame:

240 * 3 = 720 <- integer multiplier
240 * 4.5 = 1080 <- non-integer multiplier

Toparaman

Banned
I mean, I'm not saying the blur filter is great, but no, that's not at all what an NES image looks like or was meant to look like.
Yeah, I actually dislike the super sharp pixel look. It just didn't look that pixelated on standard definition CRTs.

But hopefully this comes with some image options so that everyone is happy.

PSOreo

Just pre-ordered mine. Turns out, according to the GAME store I bought it from, they have exclusivity to the extra controllers in the UK so one of them was ordered too.

no one knows why it's there, but it's likely due to that.

tumblr_nnv85ae7PA1rpku4no1_1280.png

on the left = images taken directly from a real NES via composite out to a capture card
on the right = Wii U NES VC

There's a horrible blur filter too:

2.jpg

N64 games are the real travesty though, compounded with the absolute worst input lag I've ever encountered in an official release. It's shockingly bad.

zlCfzTT0Zc06MTQLaS

zJexsmbl.jpg

and what's worse is that this is a one-catch all parameter in the emulator config file to enable the darkening/fucking up filter thats turned on for every game. Nintendo are sabotaging their own games and it's fucking baffling. Absolutely everything points to the NES Mini being the same.

I had no idea that this was a thing. In person i never noticed a thing, so i guess it doesn't really bother me that much. The only thing i've noticed is just that the colors are a little washed out. Same on Wii.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

There is definitely a difference on my tv. I wouldn't think it would be unique to my tv as its a system setting, but maybe it is.

I did remember hearing that NES games don't get a blur filter on interlaced output resolutions....?

KC-Slater

Dude. This is gonna be a stand alone device with 30 games for 60 bucks. Nothing more, nothing less.

There's still a lot of unanswered questions surrounding this device, so for you to speak to its feature set with such authority is impressing everyone. Does your uncle work for Nintendo?

But you're probably right, it would't be like Nintendo at all to have synergy between it's various product lines...

There's still a lot of unanswered questions surrounding this device, so for you to speak to its feature set with such authority is impressing everyone. Does your uncle work for Nintendo?

But you're probably right, it would't be like Nintendo at all to have synergy between it's various product lines...

This plug-and-play stocking stuffer aimed at lapsed players in their 30's and 40's doesn't really need synergy with products like Amiibo. It'd be a complete waste of time and resources to add that type of functionality.

That being said, I do hope they throw in an NX ad in the box, alongside a coupon for a discount off the system and maybe even a code for VC versions of all 30 NES games form this package on NX, to encourage some people to check out that system when it launches. Not that I think they'll do something like this, but it'd be pretty smart and a type of product synergy that would make sense.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why add amiibo to anything? They want to sell their dumb toys at $12.99 a pop, don't they?

As long as an NFC reader is cheap, of course it's feasible to add it. I see no reason why not.

But I don't think they have with this NES mini, or they'd have said so.

MuchoMalo

Banned
So... I'm just going to call it now that this is actually an ARM-based device running a version of NX's OS, and that all of these games and more will be available on NX VC on day one.

Why add amiibo to anything? They want to sell their dumb toys at $12.99 a pop, don't they?

As long as an NFC reader is cheap, of course it's feasible to add it. I see no reason why not.

But I don't think they have with this NES mini, or they'd have said so.

Probably because the average lapsed NES fan in their 40's has absolutely zero interest in buying a Nintendo figure for $13?

Amiibo doesn't need to be shoehorned into every single Nintendo product.

And it's not just about adding an NFC reader. Nintendo would also be spending time and resources on creating Amiibo functionality that would be completely ignored by 99% of consumers purchasing this device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom