• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. This is how amiibo tap works. You need the amiibo present to play the game. I don't understand why everyone thinks this would be such a ludicrous idea?

I don't think everyone thinks this is a ludicrous idea as if it's not something that could be done, they're just realistic and get exactly what this device is, what it's intention is, and who it's being marketed too.

I don't understand why people are expecting a closed plug and play emulator box to have amiibo functionality. This kind of speculation is completely baseless and reeks of the same over expectations that lead to fury and disappointment.

It is what it is, it plays 30 NES games, it's plug and play. If they aren't going to have a storefront for you to buy and download additional games, they sure as hell aren't going to have amiibo support that unlocks more. It doesn't take a marketing genius to know that people spend more money when the barrier to spending that money is as low as possible. Having to drive to a store and hunt around for a specific figure to play a game is too much of a barrier to expect the average consumer to go through, and it trivializes the profit on the game when they could have sold it to you digitally and got a higher percentage.

Expecting amiibo functionality in this is silly, and I'm willing to bet my GAF account that it is going to just be exactly what they've already said it is, and nothing more.

AgeEighty

I don't think everyone thinks this is a ludicrous idea as if it's not something that could be done, they're just realistic and get exactly what this device is, what it's intention is, and who it's being marketed too.

I don't understand why people are expecting a closed plug and play emulator box to have amiibo functionality. This kind of speculation is completely baseless and reeks of the same over expectations that lead to fury and disappointment.

It is what it is, it plays 30 NES games, it's plug and play. If they aren't going to have a storefront for you to buy and download additional games, they sure as hell aren't going to have amiibo support that unlocks more. It doesn't take a marketing genius to know that people spend more money when the barrier to spending that money is as low as possible. Having to drive to a store and hunt around for a specific figure to play a game is too much of a barrier to expect the average consumer to go through, and it trivializes the profit on the game when they could have sold it to you digitally and got a higher percentage.

Expecting amiibo functionality in this is silly, and I'm willing to bet my GAF account that it is going to just be exactly what they've already said it is, and nothing more.

Yep.

Truth to tell, Nintendo has never been the kind of company to throw in last-minute surprises. When they announce something and tell us what it does, whatever we end up getting is almost always exactly what they said it would be, no more and no less. Why people keep setting themselves up for heartbreak by expecting hidden secrets is beyond me; they've proven they're not that company, for better or worse.

Yep.

Truth to tell, Nintendo has never been the kind of company to throw in last-minute surprises. When they announce something and tell us what it does, whatever we end up getting is almost always exactly what they said it would be, no more and no less. Why people keep setting themselves up for heartbreak by expecting hidden secrets is beyond me; they've proven they're not that company, for better or worse.

It's completely unnecessary for the market this thing is targeting. The hardcore fans have had multiple avenues to play these old games over the last few decades. This is targeted at the people that didn't play things games on the 3DS or Wii Virtual Console, who don't mess around with emulators. It's pure novelty. Doesn't mean it's not cool, but I have no idea why so many people have such a hard time accepting that.

Hell, amiibo tap is basically a glorified demo hub for young gamers new to the Nintendo scene to try out the old classics using the amiibo they bought for the modern age. It's not something that would be necessary here.

It's completely unnecessary for the market this thing is targeting. The hardcore fans have had multiple avenues to play these old games over the last few decades. This is targeted at the people that didn't play things games on the 3DS or Wii Virtual Console, who don't mess around with emulators. It's pure novelty. Doesn't mean it's not cool, but I have no idea why so many people have such a hard time accepting that.

I've noticed over the years that a lot of enthusiasts aren't able to step outside of their bubble and view things from the mindset of the average consumer.

I've noticed over the years that a lot of enthusiasts aren't able to step outside of their bubble and view things from the mindset of the average consumer.

This thread is demonstrating that pretty rapidly. The post about being unable to believe this doesn't have the entire NES library on it was hilarious.

I'm paraphrasing a tweet I saw after the announcement, but it was basically that some gamers look at a product aimed at the mass market and go, "Why isn't this designed for me?"

Nairume

Banned
Hell, even as an enthusiast with multiple other means of playing these games, I don't really see why it's all that difficult to get the appeal of this thing. As much as I absolutely love all the things I can do with my retropie, I've since finally come to terms with how it's never going to really take off in group functions because of how much it needs to be babysat by somebody who knows how to use it so people who don't can still toy around with it. I imagine this NES will be a blast for bringing it around and having people play it at social functions because of how much easier it'll certainly be to pick up and play. That alone has me ready to plop down the cash for one.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Boco, it seems you certainly have a problem with retro and places like Urban Outfitters, like you presented UO having the largest record sales nowadays as kind of a bad thing, at least that's how I perceived your posts. Then again, I am "20 something" and had/have my original family NES and have similar friends/acquaintances but also I grew up with plenty of people older and way younger that also grew up with NES but dropped off because video games weren't for them. While yes retro is always chic there is a definite palpable demand on my social media of people around five years older and younger for this NES Mini that normally steer clear of video games (and even don't go for the retro trendiness normally). All anecdotal but I doubt your Urban Outfitters example or Orbital's own retail Atari example is any more or less anecdotal than mine. (I honestly believe there is a huge portion of parents/grandparents who buy things like NES Mini or Atari Flashback because they played the system as a kid and now they want to have their children check out what they were playing back in the day. That's how I got Activision Classic Atari Hits via my father for PC back in the mid 90s!)
All in all Amiibo for the NES Mini misses the core point of the NES Mini: nostalgia. Nostalgia for the many people who were around and nostalgia for the many people who were not but know of the legacy. And yes trendy hipsters but those come in all ages, ya know. If Amiibo were going to be used, I honestly believe they wouldn't have gone the NES replica route from console and controller to even the box looking damn close to the 1980s US NES box.

And hey man, I believe it is okay for you to wear a hat with NES controllers on it. Don't let society tell you otherwise! :)
A problem with it...?

I can safely say you were reading any negative sentiment into it yourself. I was just describing the world: it's a popular thing to sell young hipsters retro products from a time they never knew. These products aren't just for the people who were old enough to be there originally.

Lothar

Banned
Seriously. You're paying 2 bones a game. Complaining about the value of this is pretty ludicrous.

$2 for original Mario Bros or Balloon Fight does not seem like that great a deal to me. Last week, I bought Half Life 1 and Half Life 2 for $2 on Steam.

"Why price this at xx when I could just get it for free" seems to only be an argument I see made for older video games. Why does the new Game of Thrones set cost $50 when you can just torrent it? Why does a new CD cost $12.99 when I can just look up all the songs on YouTube? Why does the entertainment business exist at all in that case?

I wasn't making a point that they could go and get it for free. I also mentioned virtual console. What I mean is by one way or another most retro gamers and NES enthusiasts probably have every NES game they wanted by now. Chances are most of the ones that care already have them. I could be wrong. I'd still say is too much for tiny games made 30 years ago. If it was 100 NES games for $60, that would make more sense.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've kept my silence all this time, but seriously Amazon I hope you put up the listing when I'm awake! You are taking too long.

I haven't been following this thread much but some people aren't getting this concept?

Go into an Urban Outfitters and notice stuff like

-Polaroid cameras
-Cassette tape iPhone cases
-Vinyl records and players (they are the number 1 seller of vinyl now)

And indeed

-Atari, Sega and Intellivision retro consoles

Then look around, notice everyone is under 30, and do the math that no one in the store is old enough to have been around during these things when they were new.

"Retro" is a core value of the 20 something hipster set.

You could have just said "Urban Outfitters, for example." I have spent many posts in this exact thread arguing that very fact: young adults and even children are indeed much more keen on retro stuff than GAF gives them credit for.

However, speaking from behind the counter of a retro-friendly video game store, Atari hardware does not seem to be a primary interest of most people. By and large, people want old Nintendo, not Atari. If they're buying Atari it's more than likely because they can't find or afford retro or replica Nintendo yet.
Or they have a love affair with "retro games hipster extraordinaire" Ernest Cline who is obsessed with Atari's early 80s glory days but refuses to acknowledge Nintendo's games from only a few years later.

3DShovel

$2 for original Mario Bros or Balloon Fight does not seem like that great a deal to me. Last week, I bought Half Life 1 and Half Life 2 for $2 on Steam.

Cool. The original Mario Bros. is better than HL2 though if you ask me, and if I had to pick I'd pick Mario every single time.

If you can't find the value in this then it simply isn't for you. Nintendo releasing a product that doesn't make them any money is a completely stupid thing to do -- I don't understand people on this forum that don't seem to understand that these studios are companies that operate on dollars earned versus dollars spent.

60 dollars for 30 great games is a steal -- if you don't agree that they're great games, that's on you bro.

Justinh

Needs ninja turtles
It would've been nice, but was anyone actually expecting this?
I don't think any of the classic Ninja Turtles games are available digitally. The ones that were on the Virtual Console and XBLA before were removed a long time ago. Even the remake for Turtles in Time was removed. I know people hated that, but I wish I bought it when I had the chance. I've never played the original.

KC-Slater

Amiibo tap doesn't pause if you take it off.

I just said it needs to be present, as in you need the amiibo physically there to tap for every instance of starting the game.

Hell, amiibo tap is basically a glorified demo hub for young gamers new to the Nintendo scene to try out the old classics using the amiibo they bought for the modern age. It's not something that would be necessary here.

This makes complete sense in this situation -- you're providng the consumer with the means to experience additional content, on hardware that would theoretically be capable of running it.

Nobody is expecting anything, I was simply speculating that there may be a little more to this device than everything we already know. Everything about this device flies in the face of how Nintendo typically operates, with the exception of leaning heavily on nostalgia. They have a track record of shoe-horning in functionality (for better or worse) that consumers may or may not want. I simply proposed the idea that perhaps this box may have some sort of synergy with their other very profitable product line, "nothing more".

If you can't understand that this device is just as much about promoting brand good will as it is about capitalizing on nostalgia, I don't know what to tell you. This device will be a re-introduction to the Nintendo brand for many consumers. I would argue the concept of buying a physical item to unlock additional content (games) mirrors their past experience of going to a store and purchasing a physical NES cartridge, more closely than an online storefront.

This. There are plenty of business reasons Nintendo may want to make a cheap video game system with broad consumer appeal that interfaces with its toy line before the holiday season. Just because that doesn't align with your personal tastes, doesn't make it silly.

no joke, i'm gonna buy several NES classic controllers, basically the original NES pad being back in production by nintendo is sort of a paradise and the secret megaton from all of this.

the SNES wii classic controllers are fucking ON POINT. i would be totally down for a dogbone run but beggars can't be choosers. this is too legit.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
So is Japan getting a Famicom Classic Edition, and if so, what 30 games are they getting?

The fact that Famitsu, who rarely posts anything that isn't sanctioned by the companies, covered the NA announcement probably means Japan isn't getting their own version.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
$60.00!!! Insta-buy.

When I was a kid, just one game would cost my parents over $60 and thus I never played many of these classics, and owned few.

I'm not super interested in this, but I get the appeal and the idea. Pretty solid. Like the Atari flashback but better.

I'm hoping for some easy Raspberry Pi mods using this as casase. Would make an awesome portable NES.

no joke, i'm gonna buy several NES classic controllers, basically the original NES pad being back in production by nintendo is sort of a paradise and the secret megaton from all of this.

Me too. This is the part that's exciting to me. It's like a dream come true. I'm hoping for a Super Nintendo version just so I can get some brand new, official SNES controllers for $10, too.

i legitimately don't care that i own about half of these games in some form or another, i'm going to buy the fuck out of this. i'll probably buy a few actually, makes for a pretty cool xmas gift!

let me preorder this nintendo, you can even take my money now i dont give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

That's only my guess, mind, but a half-educated one.

If Amazon just takes all the preorders possible for weeks straight, if it's a gangbusters item, they could potentially overwhelm the amount Nintendo is able to produce, which would mean some people's preorders would not be honored and it would just be a whole mess. (Anyone around for Xbox 360 launch?) With such a small, presumably easy-to-manufacture item I hope that limit is plenty high but Amazon.de has sold out of preorders already, so....maybe not so implausible?

This. There are plenty of business reasons Nintendo may want to make a cheap video game system with broad consumer appeal that interfaces with its toy line before the holiday season. Just because that doesn't align with your personal tastes, doesn't make it silly.

I'm just saying any shoehorning they do is usually in the forefront, even advertised in large print at times. I just don't believe they'll put in Amiibo functionality on it where you can go "Hey kids and mass market families that haven't bought a full fledged Nintendo console, yet bought figurines and this product. Did you know we have different old games on our main consoles? Tap the toys to find out."

Hell, almost every NES game on Amiibo Tap are on this thing anyhow. If they haven't revealed it or even advertise it on the box they presented to us, it's not there.

qko

Yeah I'm pretty sure that amiibos don't have the game on board. They only unlock content on Amiibo tap because the game itself downloaded all the VC games and the amiibo unlocks the VC game. If this mini NES had an online component they maybe I'd get my hopes up. But no. It won't happen.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Adding an NFC reader to this thing seems to defeat the purpose as well, which appears to be to move a ton of these during the holidays for as little as possible. The target audience isn't going to care that there are 30 games. It's not like most people who buy it are going to do much more than play most of the games for a couple of hours at most.
Most people that buy any console aren't going to buy more than 5 games for it, but they still keep making games for people that will. Most smartphone game users aren't going to buy a damn thing, but they still make additional content and updates to sell to people that will.

It's rarely a bad idea to allow further monetization of a popular product past the initial purchase, and all signs point to this being a popular product.

The model that this thing has now, if it follows the pattern of other plug and play systems, is that next year they'll rerelease the same hardware with a couple of different games in the lineup. Which number do you imagine is greater among those that will buy the first revision; Those that will go out and drop another $60 to replace hardware they already have for a new game or two in the revision that piques their interest, or those that would have happily dropped $10-20 on an expansion cartridge or Amiibo or two that delivered that content?

You're very right, of course, but it's possible there will be some degree of video/audio/control options we don't yet know about...so I wouldn't throw in the GAF account just yet.... but yeah, Amiibo as a means of expansion seems optimistic at minimum. Like I suggested before, maybe it'll unlock a few alternate colors/designs for the game selection screen/s, but I wouldn't expect a thing more...IF an NFC chip is even in there.

The target audience isn't going to care that there are 30 games. It's not like most people who buy it are going to do much more than play most of the games for a couple of hours at most.

I agree with this but that's honestly a shame, NES games are meant to be beaten by obsessing over them. Even save stating like crazy, shit like Ninja Gaiden is hard to beat without memorizing everything.

I agree with this but that's honestly a shame, NES games are meant to be beaten by obsessing over them. Even save stating like crazy, shit like Ninja Gaiden is hard to beat without memorizing everything.

This is true but a lot of old games that were ridiculously hard were merely compensating for technical limitations. They could only fit so much into a cart, so they had to make the game harder to make the game artificially last longer.

And in today's world, it's not something that really flies, at least not with casual audiences. Remember how much hate the Flappy Bird creator got? People around the world were sending him death threats on Twitter every other second because they were dying a lot in the game.

Some of these games will be best experienced in shorter play sessions by today's casual audiences. Save states make that much more possible.

Most people that buy any console aren't going to buy more than 5 games for it, but they still keep making games for people that will. Most smartphone game users aren't going to buy a damn thing, but they still make additional content and updates to sell to people that will.

It's rarely a bad idea to allow further monetization of a popular product past the initial purchase, and all signs point to this being a popular product.

The model that this thing has now, if it follows the pattern of other plug and play systems, is that next year they'll rerelease the same hardware with a couple of different games in the lineup. Which number do you imagine is greater among those that will buy the first revision; Those that will go out and drop another $60 to replace hardware they already have for a new game or two in the revision that piques their interest, or those that would have happily dropped $10-20 on an expansion cartridge or Amiibo or two that delivered that content?

I doubt you will see that. If anything you will see an SNES Classic or N64 Classic. I'd be shocked if Nintendo's plan is to offer an NES Classic 2 with 30 more games. If that were the case they wouldn't put Mario 1, 2 and 3, along with Zelda 1 and 2 and Metroid on this thing rather than spacing them out. This is a one off thing. I'm not sure how that's not readily apparent. I don't think Nintendo has any interest in creating an ecosystem for this device. The reason this thing got so much mainstream buzz when it first was announced is because it hit the perfect nostalgia spot with the kind of consumer that doesn't care about Amiibos or expansion cartridges. They get 30 classic games to mess around with of varying quality and popularity, get to scratch that nostalgia itch, and get a stocking stuffer for the holidays. It's not any more or less than that.

the SNES wii classic controllers are fucking ON POINT. i would be totally down for a dogbone run but beggars can't be choosers. this is too legit.

I play a real AV Famicom every day and the dog bone NES/fami controllers are so much better than the square ones though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I totally agree. I spend a lot of time pining over the SNES version (not available in North America Club Nintendo) and here's the NES version for $10!

You could have just said "Urban Outfitters, for example."

I did, right above you asking about it. It seemed like you wanted elaboration.

I did, right above you asking about it. It seemed like you wanted elaboration.

A ) You hadn't said you actually said you saw them there, you just made a broad statement.

and the reason I asked: B ) How do you know they are actually selling? Stocking a product does not mean it is selling for you. Do you visit UO often and see a regular fluctuation in inventory of Atari Flashbacks and the like? All I saw was you posting a lot of conjecture. Not that the rest of us have all that much more to work with besides anecdotal experiences, but hey.

Nairume

Banned
and the reason I asked: B ) How do you know they are actually selling? Stocking a product does not mean it is selling for you. Do you visit UO often and see a regular fluctuation in inventory of Atari Flashbacks and the like? All I saw was you posting a lot of conjecture. Not that the rest of us have all that much more to work with besides anecdotal experiences, but hey.
Presumably speaking, if the Atari/Coleco/Intellivision Flashbacks and the various Firecore Genesis's weren't selling well, they probably wouldn't keep putting out more with different games/features and probably wouldn't keep reprinting the ones that exist.

Even more presumably, Nintendo wouldn't bother trying it out themselves if the data suggested that these things don't sell.

You know, one of the things that I take from this is that like everything else with Nintendo, you can always rest assured that every great unused game feature or hardware idea will always show up in a different context sooner or later.

BRBkG4J.jpg

Nairume

Banned
I'd be shocked if Nintendo's plan is to offer an NES Classic 2 with 30 more games. If that were the case they wouldn't put Mario 1, 2 and 3, along with Zelda 1 and 2 and Metroid on this thing rather than spacing them out.
I initially wanted to suggest that they still had enough to pad out at least one subsequent collection, but then looking back over what was included and comparing it against what first party titles they have left, yeah, they'd have to lean much harder on licensing third party games. All that's left in terms of first party stuff is lesser known/liked stuff (or unlocalized), and even third party is going to run into issue filling out a list when you consider some of the more obvious options are also stuff that would be difficult to work out (re: the Ninja Turtles games).

edit:
Unless they do what the Sega ones do and reuse the same games, of course.

mvo

Neo Member
Trying to ask for the complete library of NES games to be pre-loaded without any licensing difficulties whatsoever is hyper unrealistic. I'm eager to see what kind of numbers the system gets, and pretty curious as to how well the emulation works out. Having read up on cycle-accurate vs normal emulation's got me wondering how well the games are gonna function. I guess it'll probably end up being some revised version of the virtual console running the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom