• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NolbertoS

I think Nintendo will make a killing with this NES mini. All the water cooler talk at my work has been about buyjng the Mini. Everybody is into nostalgia again and want this for Xmas, even those thar aren't gamers but love to play some old school Super Mario Bros.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Most people who remotely care about the NES have had NES's entire library on their computers since the mid 90s.

This is piracy, no?

Unless you have a slot in your computer to put NES games into.

Or you have a device like the retrode and rip copies of your games and store them on your computer.
And that's what his "most people" refers to? People ripping the entire NES library to their computer via a retrode? ;P

He's talking about piracy. Which is shitty. Why buy anything that can be pirated then...

BocoDragon

It's a good question. They'll probably use some kind of button combo like holding select and pressing start or something.
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

If he's talking about using it on Wii U, then you press a button on the Remote to bring up the VC menu.
???

What thread are we in dude?

Edit: I can see you are talking about using the NES Classic controller on Wii.. But there are save states on the NES mini itself.

I'm still shocked we never got it as a 3D Classic on 3DS. Should have been trivial to convert it. Maybe they're just worried that the word rad dates it too much, lol.

The name dates it, sure, but what a perfect time to bring it back into the spotlight w the NES Mini. I'm officially sour about its omission but still hyped for the mini console.

It's a good question. They'll probably use some kind of button combo like holding select and pressing start or something.

My theory was that you'd use the Reset button to do it somehow (inconvenient) or there's a hidden Home button say, in the center of the replica controller's rear side.

An interesting tidbit in that Polygon FAQ is that if you do 2-player, at least one of the controllers HAS to be the NES Classic Controller or it doesn't work (even though you can use standard Wii classic controllers/pros). I wonder how/why it's technically reliant on that specific controller.

Yeah, why is that?

A handful of games on the Wii Virtual Console (if not the Wii U Virtual Console as well, couldn't tell you) are listed in all-caps. I don't know if that's how the companies chose to do the digital listings, or if they're trademarked or registered with the ESRB that way, or what's the deal. I'll check among my Wii VC library to see if the all-caps listings match between the NES Mini list and the Wii VC channels.

BocoDragon

iphys

If it's like VC, then they also probably include digital manuals or whatever it is that causes them to use so many more blocks than you would expect based on the actual rom size of the games, so maybe 30 games plus saves plus whatever OS/emulator is on there might take up a full GB.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
And Nintendo already confirmed no internet connectivity and not ports for additional games aside from the USB to power the system. They said what you get is what you get.

Instead of this, why not start manufacturing the original nes / snes and original cartriges for it? Itd sell like hot cakes + ppl would have the ability to pick and choose their games

Instead of this, why not start manufacturing the original nes / snes and original cartriges for it? Itd sell like hot cakes + ppl would have the ability to pick and choose their games

To hardcore retro gamers, maybe. But they are a tiny niche compared to the industry at large though.

Everyone else won't care. The average person is now used to being able to download games instantly on their phones anywhere they are. Going back to bulky physical cartridges is just not something most people want to do.

Reminder: You can still buy original cartridges and working NES/SNES's. They're still sold all over the internet and also at swap meets, pawn shops, etc. I don't see anyone lining up to buy them outside of a tiny community of hardcore collectors.

Making this a one time purchase gives you a much broader market to appeal to. Some people just want a kitschy nostalgia romp for the holidays. This gives them that in a nice, neat little package.

The crowd that wants to curate their own retro/vintage game collections are already largely served by emulation, virtual console or even good ol' fashioned physical game collecting. This is a much harder market to serve, as they are probably a lot more fragmented. There is a pretty huge gulf in terms of scope and resources between creating something like the NES Mini and creating a product/service that is targeted at enthusiasts and retro gamers.

Tarin02543

If it's like VC, then they also probably include digital manuals or whatever it is that causes them to use so many more blocks than you would expect based on the actual rom size of the games, so maybe 30 games plus saves plus whatever OS/emulator is on there might take up a full GB.

Actually it makes me hopefull that it will be more than a emulator box, perhaps we might get re-engineered games that take advantage of modern hardware as in 16:9 60FPS.

Kinda like how the mario games look like in Super Mario Maker

I feel like there's a market for it. I could imagine NES carts sitting in Urban Outfitters and Barnes & Noble next to all the vinyl.

But then, I the NES Mini still has wider appeal and would sell much better.

Nobody makes any part of these cartridge anymore... It would cost a lot to engineer new carts with modern materials and still make then fully compatible and relatively cheap.

Dunkley

Eh most people wouldn't care about it if they couldn't play it on their cellphone.

Nobody makes any part of these cartridge anymore... It would cost a lot to engineer new carts with modern materials and still make then fully compatible and relatively cheap.

Outside of the connector, they could probably fudge it with newer parts while still being compatible without the cost being overly high. I don't think it would be a monumental engineering task.

Not that they would go either route or that any way they would do it would be as profitable as a simple plug n' play (or even just VC releases), but whatever. :p

I'll check among my Wii VC library to see if the all-caps listings match between the NES Mini list and the Wii VC channels.

BUBBLE BOBBLE, DOUBLE DRAGON II, and FINAL FANTASY all previously had the all-caps pretty much wherever the names appear on the Wii VC and Wii Shop Channel, but the rest are all newly-capitalized. The more that I check out the Wii Shop Channel, the more that it looks like it's just on the publisher's whims if they want their games to "stand out" among the listings (Double Dragon 1 is not capitalized), and I guess that's going to carry onto Nintendo digital retro releases from here on out. Square-Enix in particular seem to be serial capitalizers.

Edit: Plot twist: the only games that Square-Enix didn't capitalize are the Enix games

Reminder: You can still buy original cartridges and working NES/SNES's. They're still sold all over the internet and also at swap meets, pawn shops, etc. I don't see anyone lining up to buy them outside of a tiny community of hardcore collectors.

Arent some of those games 100s of dollars tho

iphys

I looked up the loose cartridge price for the 30 games, and it would come out to something like $478.31 to buy them all, so surprisingly NES cartridges seem to have been going back up in value despite VC being a thing. Still, I can't really imagine them mass-producing cartridges again. I think people only pay that much because it's nostalgia for the actual cartridge from 30 years ago that you can't just go to the store and buy, but if you could buy freshly-produced cartridges, then people would probably just turn their noses up at them instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom