• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Comments On 3DS Error Screen

dc89 said:
Seeing as were discussing 3DS issues anyone offer there experience with my question:

I don't know if I have gadget OCD or what but my d pad is slightly loose in fitting to the console. It wobbles a little bit.

Also has anyone else finding the hinge is a little loose. When I open the screen and set it back (not to the stage where it clicks to that 180 posistion, just before that) it seems a little loose. If I move the cosole a little bit it wobbles.

Anyone else?

Unfortunately, there is very little telling whether the hinge is meant to be a little loose there or not. Mine does the same thing, and when I went to Gamestop to get it replaced, their display 3DS did the same thing so they were not sure if it was a defect.

I called Nintendo and the rep said that issues were still arriving and could not necessarily say it was a problem, but because it remains somewhat close to that clicked in position and only shifts a couple centimeters when leaning back with it, I don't think it is that bad of an issue as, say, the vertical lines or squeaky D-Pad.

I guess it would be best to wait and see if it is prevalent. Give Nintendo a ring and tell them about it. If enough concern is raised, they might make some comment about it openly.

Foffy

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
1) it's normal, didn't you own a DS Lite before?
2) that's how it is, probably done on purpose to fix the problems DS Lite's rigid hinge had (breaking).

Did all Lites have this issue or did early models? I got mine in 2007, and the top screen seems to feel 'pinned' to the right side of the device, so much so that I can wiggle the left side around..

It applies to the 3DS, but less wiggle room.

angelfly

Problem seems isolated to Ghost Recon and Monkey Ball which means it should be easy to patch up. If it was happening with all software then I think there'd be reason to be worried. I don't have either of them so I haven't personally gotten the error.

tim1138

Drkirby said:
Nintendo Consoles don't even have warranty seals, it is very hard to void their warranty. You tend to have to physically break the system or soak it in water to do so. Heck, they will often fix minor physical defects if something else was wrong on it. I got a broken Hinge of my Phat DS fixed due to the shoulder button not working.

Yep this is very true. My wife's DSi had a problem with randomly shutting itself off and when we got it back, they had also replaced the entire top screen assembly.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just a quick reminder to owners - register your 3DS on Nintendo's website for a 3 month warranty extension (standard warranty is 1 year).

tim1138

XiaNaphryz said:
Just a quick reminder to owners - register your 3DS on Nintendo's website for a 3 month warranty extension (standard warranty is 1 year).

And if you do need a repair they extend it again for another full year.

rosjos44

crap. Well I got this error and I updated this system before the error happened =/

This is how it happened. I had the lid shut 3/4 of the way when I was talking to my wife and I noticed I had the 3D on. Well I turned it off when I still had the lid 3/4 shut then I flipped it open and hit A to continue after it woke up from sleep mode and then bam! error :(

( I was playing Monkey Ball)

angelfly said:
Problem seems isolated to Ghost Recon and Monkey Ball which means it should be easy to patch up. If it was happening with all software then I think there'd be reason to be worried. I don't have either of them so I haven't personally gotten the error.
i'm getting it on my copy of rayman. it's kind of annoying. i updated before playing the game.

rosjos44

NEO0MJ said:
Does the the 3DS stop working after the error?

It stops and you are asked to power it off and power it back on. Its like a BSOD. I hope I do not see it again but I guess since I already seen it once its more likely to see it again?

Ketch

Big One

Banned
NEO0MJ said:
Does the the 3DS stop working after the error?
Mine didn't. I've gotten it twice with Ghost Recon. Trying some things like playing it without wireless turned on and see how it rolls.

M3d10n

It clearly looks like a BSOD. I hope the problem is in the OS (where we know it can be patched by a system update) and not on the games (we have no idea if Nintendo can patch 3DS games yet).

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
EasyTGT said:
The editors of that article both say they havn't had any problems, and I havn't heard of any hardware issues from any of the industry media outlets either. This is tin foil hat talk but do you think it's possible that members of the press get higher quality hardware?

I think it's more likely that the issue just isn't that widespread.

I get that screen whenever i try to use the camera. I made 1 mii and played face raiders once. Ever since then, i always get that error. My roomies have been trying to make Mii's on the thing, no luck. I upgraded my firmware, issue still persists.

rosjos44

I dont want to go through the whole getting a New nintendo 3DS. So since I updated before I got the error does this mean that no matter what I should contact Nintendo?

LiK

rosjos44 said:
I dont want to go through the whole getting a New nintendo 3DS. So since I updated before I got the error does this mean that no matter what I should contact Nintendo?

sure, Nintendo CSR is pretty excellent from many people's experiences that i've read if they have hardware issues.

Goody

Well, I used it a ton yesterday and intermittently today and just got the error tonight while playing Rayman and this is with updating my firmware the day before. I really hope this won't be a major issue.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
LiK said:
sure, Nintendo CSR is pretty excellent from many people's experiences that i've read if they have hardware issues.
Indeed. When my launch Wii died due to a bad video card, they sent me a replacement first along with packaging and a shipping label to get the busted console back to them.

dc89

Dash Kappei said:
1) it's normal, didn't you own a DS Lite before?
2) that's how it is, probably done on purpose to fix the problems DS Lite's rigid hinge had (breaking).

Thanks for helping me out! Much appreciated. Now I can get on with enjoying my 3DS :D

LayLa

got an email back from UK customer support
they advised me to update to the latest firmware (which i'd already done) or send the console back. they will pay for all postage etc but rather disappointingly they say "Unfortunately, we are unable to guarantee that your 3DS saved data (including game saves, Miis, StreetPass and SpotPass data) can be retained, although we always endeavour to retain this on your console wherever possible. " Sounds like asscovering in case anything goes wrong, but still a bit annoying.

itxaka said:
I read a couple of guys with the same problem during monkey ball. Maybe it overheats or something? did you noticed if it was hotter than usual?

Actually I just started the game up and was about to do a level. So I'd hope it wasn't warm.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
NEO0MJ said:
But why now? Why not when the during DS or even the GBA(wich was even similair in design) era?
It would have been too obvious back then.

These kinds of problems are really unforgiveable on consoles/handhelds imo.
One of the big selling points of those was always 'plug in and play'.

This is the first time I see the 'please upgrade your drivers' line...
If N can't make things bug and problem free with one hardware config then they should not have released the system until it was.

Taker666

I've had no errors....not before or after updating.

I must have played for around 12 hours or so over the last few days....although software wise I only have Pilotwings and Nintendogs+cats.

A DSi has the same kind of problems, I've seen one which wouldn't start any software giving the exact same message. It's a regular error message. In stead of a freeze you see the message.

I've had it once, during Monkey Fight.

Someone over at 4chan mentioned that he gets payed $8 per hour by sony to browse several gaming message boards and post random negative comments in every 3DS thread he comes across to influence the opinion leaders on the internet with their herd-mentality.
This could be on one hand just a clever troll... but on the other hand 4chan was right about the astroturfing from bioware too.
So I don't know who to trust anymore. Oh no!

AceBandage said:
No errors here, despite playing it all day.
I think I just have good luck.
I have a launch Wii that was able to play SSBB with no problems and a launch PS2 that is still kicking.

Same here, launch Wii that sounds like a plane reactor (but now strangely doesnt sound as much) but plays all the games, including SSBB, and a 3DS with lost of hours now and never had that message.

Seems im lucky with Nintendo hardware.

Oh yeah, had the hinge problem with the DS lite.

Street Fighter IV and Pilotwings resort here. Could it possibly be a fault of Super Monkey Ball, Ghost Recon and Rayman? Becasue it seems to be happening only to people that have those games.

i got some good rayman time in last night, so it seems intermittent. the first two times i tried to play it, i got it before i got control of Rayman which having just bought the game was annoying as hell.

i'm sort of relieved to see other people getting it with Rayman. makes me think it's just a glitch with that game rather than something wrong with my 3DS. i've used it a bunch since i got it, and no issues with anything else.

played Steel Diver and Ridge Racer for much longer than i played Rayman without any problems.

panda21

so is this something that only happens when you sleep or put it in suspend on the home menu? or does it just randomly happen whilst playing the games?

I'd like to know if anyone who got this error had wifi turned off. Seems like most reports say that they were playing online, or at least had the wifi turned on.

AndyMoogle said:
I'd like to know if the people who got this error had wifi turned off or on. Seems like most reports say that they were playing online, or at least had the wifi turned on.
i had wifi on and was playing Rayman. happened to me twice yesterday. both times were right after each other and after playing the game for a couple of minutes (the start of the game).

first time it had been in sleep for a long while before i put the cartridge in, second time obviously it was after a hard power down (required to get the system back on!).

after the second crash i removed the cartridge, gently cleaned the contacts, blew out the cartridge slot and tried it again. i didn't have the problem again, but Rayman did later glitch during a cutscene when a line of dialogue didn't fire.

i was able to sleep the game, close the game, and start it again. didn't have any problems after that. at this point i'm pretty confident its an issue with the game and not with my system. hopefully patchable.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
When coming out of sleep mode, there were a couple times when the system claimed the cart had been removed and forced me to use the home button to return to the main menu. Another annoyance. :\

DonMigs85

I got my Lite December 2006 and it did have a slightly wobbly hinge right then.
It also finally developed a hinge crack just last September :(

Top Bottom