• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms no live E3 presentation this year

Modoru

Honestly that's good because I really get tired of the fake acting on stage and the awkward "live demo players".

Also shit like the voice overs on wildlands trailer,
Aisha Tyler's awful jokes
, industry people trying too hard to hype their game sometimes

I'll never forget the lone "Ridge Racer" shout and the fuckin' PvZ mascot jumping on stage smh

charpunk

No? E3 press conferences are press/industry only. It's a business event. Not that the bar of professionalism is particularly high, but still.

Microsoft lets the public in on theirs. I forgot what the barrier of entry, but in years past it's normally the people sitting in front. The year they announced BC for Xbox one had them around the platform spencer was on.

I'm pretty sure Sony lets people in to. Granted it's mostly press and insiders, but there is still a portion of hardcore fans there.

Oh. I was thinking to myself "this doesn't feel like something Skittzo would say" lol. I have to give up the week ends today ��

Yeah it's still early, that wasn't my best joke.

Anyway, regarding stage vs direct, I really think the direct/digital event format is much better for actually communicating the information they want to get across than a stage event is, and that's why I prefer it. But I do see the point of view where a stage event is more entertaining and "hyping" even if I think those aren't really the most important factors of a presentation.

If renting out a theater was cheaper I would always think that having the majority of the content pre-recorded but shown in front of a crowded theater is probably the best middle ground where everyone is fairly happy. But since renting out a theater during E3 is not cheap, that would honestly just wind up being a waste of money to satisfy a few fans and probably not change their stance on buying whatever products Nintendo is selling. So a Digital Event is the logical way to go.

Well, that Is sad. Conferences are for the fans and are cool. Yea live events can go out of control and have issues but also represents a great chance for companies to be closer to consumers.

Directs are fine but is like watching a football game on a tv on an empty stadium.

"Conferences are for the fans"?

The entire purpose of the "direct" is to bring the presentation directly to us, the fans, rather than show it in a theater full of press and insiders. Nintendo even addressed this with their first Digital Event, essentially saying that they know only a small portion of fans get to attend E3 so they want to bring the message to everyone equally, rather than coddle the press.

Alebrije

Well, that Is sad. Conferences are for the fans and are cool. Yea live events can go out of control and have issues but also represents a great chance for companies to be closer to consumers.

Directs are fine but is like watching a football game on a tv on an empty stadium.

Yeah it's still early, that wasn't my best joke.

Anyway, regarding stage vs direct, I really think the direct/digital event format is much better for actually communicating the information they want to get across than a stage event is, and that's why I prefer it. But I do see the point of view where a stage event is more entertaining and "hyping" even if I think those aren't really the most important factors of a presentation.

If renting out a theater was cheaper I would always think that having the majority of the content pre-recorded but shown in front of a crowded theater is probably the best middle ground where everyone is fairly happy. But since renting out a theater during E3 is not cheap, that would honestly just wind up being a waste of money to satisfy a few fans and probably not change their stance on buying whatever products Nintendo is selling. So a Digital Event is the logical way to go.

Yeah, I'm honestly all for the digital events. I wish Nintendo would do something like Sony does each year. Rent out movie theaters around the US and have little fan events where you can show up and watch the Direct live and maybe get some free swag.

Otherwise, I want Nintendo to funnel more of their conference money into stuff like they did with Zelda last year. Just make the booth space as entertaining as possible to capture that Nintendo magic. Seeing their Zelda setup was amazing even though I wasn't there in person.

"Conferences are for the fans"
*rolls eyes*

What matters in the content of the presentation no matter format. I don't know about this fake narrative of conferences are for the fans. Nintendo E3 2014 already proved how amazing a digital event is for the fans.

Alebrije

"Conferences are for the fans"
*rolls eyes*

What matters in the content of the presentation no matter format. I don't know about this fake narrative of conferences are for the fans. Nintendo E3 2014 already proved how amazing a digital event is for the fans.

Both formats are fine, both are for th fans . it's just about what you like more.

Good Nintendo is the only leaving conferences and other companies instead are enforcing them.

Dr. A

Well duh. Based on the fan reception I've seen, Nintendo usually excels at their Direct presentations. So this announcement ain't exactly a shocker :)

Top Bottom