• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Defends Art Style Of Controversial New Metroid Game

I don't like the new style.

I think there was no need to reinvent the wheel when that wheel was barely used recently and that look is still widely enjoyed by the fans.

If you make the characters more rounded, enemies also become more compact, and you can display larger groups of them. Also, we compressed the surrounding terrain vertically, based on the characters’ proportions. So the amount of information we could display on screen really increased. This resulted in a different aesthetic but we wanted to prioritise providing the very best gameplay experience.
information to display on screen ?
You've got 2 screens there is more than enough information to can give to the player, not to mention the audio cues and various screens effects.

Overall , it's a metroid game , that doesn't look like a metroid game , doesn't play like a metroid game, ok nintendo /s

nkarafo

Still, it looks bad and the style isn't proper for a Metroid game. But thanks for trying to change my mind and telling me i'm wrong.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't care less about the art style. It's a 3D game on 3DS and all those look like ass anyway due to the low resolution.

The game is just all around bland based on playing the demo and what they've shown. It doesn't look, play or feel like a $40 title, Metroid name/setting attached or not.

At least threads about it are entertaining seeing the Metroid fanboys argue with the Nintendo fanboys who love everything that company does.

Toxi

Banned
I don't mind attempting a chibi style. It could be a nice way to show the difference in tone for the spinoff, like with Monster Hunter Stories.

The problem is that it looks graphically bad. Terrible textures and models that seriously look like they came from a high-end DS title. The chibi style with those becomes less charming and more garish.

I don't mind attempting a chibi style. It could be a nice way to show the difference in tone for the spinoff, like with Monster Hunter Stories.

The problem is that it looks graphically bad. Terrible textures and models that seriously look like they came from a high-end DS title. The chibi style with those becomes less charming and more garish.

metroid prime hunters was a high-end Ds title that pushed the DS very hard graphically and looked and had better textures ...

I guess I must have only dreamt of Resident Evil Revelations online coop looking superb.
Excluding Aonuma, most producers at Nintendo currently are slowly turning into a prime example of the George Lucas effect (with the sole difference that Nintendo isn't successful with their junk anymore).

Regiruler

I'm impressed with the draw distance they got out of the machine, and the sense of distance and depth is second only to 3D Land (for all its strengths, Kid Icarus was NOT good at this for large distances even though I love it to death).

LOL game looks like ass cuz the hardware its on can't do anything better. Anyway Nintendo whines way too much when people criticize their first party games. Just shut up and release it. If it's any good the game will speak for itself. For a company that releases games that most people love they get awfully defensive.

5a79d85340.png

So serious.

I don't see them as "defending" here but more as "explaining", even though they do lower themselves by having to explain the obvious to a handful or rabid, entitled fanboys.

We're talking about Metroid, right? The series about an alien purple pterodactyl part of the Space Pirates that breaths fire and can fly in space?

You want me to go through all the pulp ridiculous things in Metroid?

Yes, compared to the series where you turned into a bunny and could get attacked by chickens if you hit them too much and played as a child who used a slingshot, Metroid is a fairly serious series. It's like many Japanese series where you can have elements played straight, but the occasional silliness. Not to mention, none of that negates Ridley being played straight as a serious threat...

sd28821

i agree with you here though honestly this isnt a high end ds title and in all honesty this should have been given a bigger budget or been a wii u title.

When did that become an either-or scenario, though?

Disagreed.

If you ever manage to look beyond the art style, game does not look worse than any of those you listed. Actually, I'd dare say animations-wise it's among the best, easily beating some of the titles on your list.
Well blu... the thing here we should be considering is that a game back in may of 2004 is doing a better job at capturing the style and ambience of the Metroid Prime spin offs. On far lesser hardware none the less.

And this is strictly talking about the game's presentation which is one among many things that have a significant part (a very vocal one at least) of the user base complaining at every chance they have.

sd28821

Well blu... the thing here we should be considering is that a game back in may of 2004 is doing a better job at capturing the style and ambience of the Metroid Prime spin offs. On far lesser hardware none the less.

And this is strictly talking about the game's presentation which is one among many things that have a significant part (a very vocal one at least) of the user base complaining at every chance they have.

thank you for not continuing the cycle.

Ridley327

Tanabe's logic isn't poorly mapped out, but it's really tough to take it as it is when the 3DS is host to other multiplayer-heavy experiences with easy readability without having to fuck with the proportions. Even Monster Hunter has no problems, despite the fact that the aspect ratio on the 3DS is a bit smaller than what it had on the PSP, thanks to the customizable HUD elements. Bigger fights in something like Xenoblade didn't lose much in the translation from Wii to 3DS either, and those can get incredibly crowded in the end-game.

And yeah, it can't be ignored that the art style does nothing to hide how technologically poor it looks. It's a series known for pushing hardware, so it's really unfortunate to see this not come close to that standard.

wildfire

Banned
This would be sort of justifiable if they didn't already have a online multiplayer Metroid shooter on the DS that returned the series serious art style...and it was on a smaller screen with a lower resolution and older touch screen tech

What was the frame rate like? How many units could be drawn on screen?

Nintendo is making some very specific performance claims.

Haha. You're really winding yourself up against this game, aren't you?

1) This "shovelware-tier" game has the verbatim mechanics of metroid prime, nothing more, nothing less.
2) This "shovelware-tier" game has 3+ characters on screen 99% of the action time (3 teammates + enemies*). Oh, and it's not a turn-based RPG.
3) I've beaten both RE:R and Ironfall - the two games of your list closest in gameplay mechanics to FF. Neither of them has better animations than FF. Moreover, the busiest RE on the 3ds - RE:Mercenaries falls back to low-fps animations whenever the enemies are not in player's immediate vicinity. FF does not do that.

* if the FF tutorial is any indication, could be a dozen of space pirates at a time.

Both of them have better animations than FF. But they also look dramatically better.
Mercenaries was a rushed title. RE:R is a better comparison.
Monster Hunter ? Also looks better, have 4 hunters on screen, more complex environements, models, monsters and animation.
EX Troopers is also another good exemple. 4 players coop, lot of ennemies.

No matter how you want to look at it, FF looks bad. Looks like an eShop title an indie would put by himself. In fact, Ironfall is, and it looks better. So yes, it looks shovelware tier. But I'll tell you something. My point about the graphics isn't to shit on the game. It's to show how lame of an excuse Nintendo is making out for this shitty art. 3DS isn't at fault here. Tanabe's choice is. The game could use the same models as Hunters, I wouldn't care about the graphics. It's about a lame art direction and a lame excuse about the hardware being at fault when NST managed to do it on a far weaker hardware, running on a smaller screen, at a smaller res.

Nintendo shouldn't have to defend anything. Whiny fanboys are being whiny fanboys. It's kind of a shame that Nintendo decided to lower themselves to their level here.

First post wins. After playing the demo, the art style doesn't bother me in the least and I'm glad Nintendo stuck to their guns.

Pandy

I don't like the new style.

I think there was no need to reinvent the wheel when that wheel was barely used recently and that look is still widely enjoyed by the fans.

information to display on screen ?
You've got 2 screens there is more than enough information to can give to the player, not to mention the audio cues and various screens effects.

Overall , it's a metroid game , that doesn't look like a metroid game , doesn't play like a metroid game, ok nintendo /s
What game have you been looking at, Colour Splash? From every video it does play very much like a Metroid Prime game.

Off the top of my head: lock on targeting, special weapon types, enemies with different reactions to different weapons types, charge shots, charge shot magnetism, side-stepping enemy attacks while trying to hit weakpoints, mixture of beast types from pest to behemoth, intelligent enemy types with weapons and, of course, ball puzzles everywhere you look.

If it wasn't labelled as a 'Prime' game, all the Metroid 'fans' in these threads would be crying that Nintendo had obviously ripped the core out of Prime and stuck it into some new IP they didn't care about, meaning Metroid is 'obviously' dead now.

Between Metroid Blast and Federation Force Nintendo clearly haven't forgotten about Metroid. They'll have a shot at a AAA NX title when they think the time is right. This isn't it.

What game have you been looking at, Colour Splash? From every video it does play very much like a Metroid Prime game.

Off the top of my head: lock on targeting, special weapon types, enemies with different reactions to different weapons types, charge shots, charge shot magnetism, side-stepping enemy attacks while trying to hit weakpoints, mixture of beast types from pest to behemoth, intelligent enemy types with weapons and, of course, ball puzzles everywhere you look.

If it wasn't labelled as a 'Prime' game, all the Metroid 'fans' in these threads would be crying that Nintendo had obviously ripped the core out of Prime and stuck it into some new IP they didn't care about, meaning Metroid is 'obviously' dead now.

Between Metroid Blast and Federation Force Nintendo clearly haven't forgotten about Metroid.
They'll have a shot at a AAA NX title when they think the time is right. This isn't it.

Yup, between a slow and boring Rocket League clone and a generic, bad artstyle, coop shooter, Nintendo clearly haven't forgotten about Metroid.

Tanabe is on record for stating that the game started life back in 2009 as a Nintendo DSi project.

So there you go...

Its not Metroid. Nothing about it looks like Metroid should, sticking space pirates in there and slapping Samus as a cameo doesn't make it a Metroid.

I'd rather take an Other M sequel than Federation Force.

Have you ever played a spinoff?

Because that's what this is. It seems like some of you have never heard of this concept before. Spinoffs are allowed to play and look differently than the mainline games, and it's okay. They've been clear from the start that this is not a mainline game.

Because that's what this is. It seems like some of you have never heard of this concept before. Spinoffs are allowed to play and look differently than the mainline games, and it's okay. They've been clear from the start that this is not a mainline game.

It's not because it's a spin off that it gives it a pass go look like bad or generic.
Metroid Prime Hunters is a spin off. Same for Metroid Pinball which was basically a pinball game, but taking at the universe of Metroid, keeping the same art style.

And this is what makes spinoffs cool. It's a chance to experiment with an IP in a way that wouldn't fit with a mainline series. I'm glad spinoffs are a part of Nintendo's design philosophy. I wish other devs were willing/able to do the same.

The Metroid Prime games were so good that I bought Metroid Prime Hunters even after I tried the demo and hated it. It said Metroid on the box and I couldn't help myself.

Metroid Prime 3 came out way back in 2007, and since then they added waggle to Metroid Prime in 2009, and Other M came out in 2010. I also rebought a bunch of old Metroid games on Virtual Console.

A souped up Metroid Prime Hunters on 3ds in 2016 is almost impossible for me to get excited about, without a more interesting Metroid game on the horizon.

If a new game like Super Metroid or Metroid Prime are off the table because of budget I would be more interested in another Metroid Pinball than something like Federation Force. Something more suitable for the hardware that is actually fun to play.

Between Metroid Blast and Federation Force Nintendo clearly haven't forgotten about Metroid. They'll have a shot at a AAA NX title when they think the time is right. This isn't it.

No no no no, at the bolded ..if it was a new Ip , people would have welcomed nintendo "innovation" and it would have been a nice exemple of how nintendo still got it that we've seen in the splattoon threads.

As for your list , you did try hard to make it longer than it should be.
Come on , "special weapon types, enemies with different reactions to different weapons types" ? Isn't it supposed to be a 3d shooter in FPS on an handled device ?
" lock on targeting" ? "intelligent enemy types with weapons" ? You padded that list as much as you could

And this is what makes spinoffs cool. It's a chance to experiment with an IP in a way that wouldn't fit with a mainline series. I'm glad spinoffs are a part of Nintendo's design philosophy. I wish other devs were willing/able to do the same.

What makes spin off cool is when you take a cool take at a franchise. Like when Nintendo makes a side story of Samus' Prime stories on DS, or when Nintendo make a fighting game with its main characters. Not when it strips off a serie of all its appealing features to turn it into a generic concept and generic art.

Federation Force looks like a game where the serious, quality solo campaign has been stripped off and the onlt thing left is the funny, bonus, minor multiplayer game mode.

No no no no, at the bolded ..if it was a new Ip , people would have welcomed nintendo "innovation" and it would have been a nice exemple of how nintendo still got it that we've seen in the splattoon threads.

Come on , "special weapon types, enemies with different reactions to different weapons types" ? Isn't it supposed to be a 3d shooter in FPS on an handled device ?
" lock on targeting" ? "intelligent enemy types with weapons" ? You padded that list as much as you could

Not every Nintendo IP's are well welcomed. codename steam for exemple got criticized for its bad artstyle. You guys should just accept that there's a pattern in here, that when Nintendo mess up, people says it. And when they succeed, people also recognize it.

Hylian7

I think people would be a lot more open about this game if it wasn't the first game in the series in 9 years. This is basically Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts here

Did you mean first decent game in 9 years? Other M came out 6 years ago...

I can sort of see the comparison to Nuts & Bolts, but at the same time, this is very clearly a spinoff and they have never covered that fact. N&B they tried to market as the "Banjo-Threeie" everyone wanted, and of course was not that and was total garbage.

Federation Force will probably be good, I like the idea behind it, but definitely did feel some resentment toward it when it was announced and not a real Metroid game. I will still probably pick up FF though.

Yes, everyone is aware this is a spinoff. "It's a spinoff" is not a defense.

"It's a spinoff" does not excuse how boring the gameplay looks and how awful the visuals are.

There are so many ways they could have done a spinoff that would have excited fans. This is not one of them. Far from it.

Not every Nintendo IP's are well welcomed. codename steam for exemple got criticized for its bad artstyle. You guys should just accept that there's a pattern in here, that when Nintendo mess up, people says it. And when they succeed, people also recognize it.

The art style would have been easier for people to accept if it wasn't tied to the metroid name... that's how you try new things , those things can fail , but then they fail on their own merits. I know the power of the brand , the franchise is powerfull but i'm considering that the last attempt was other M and it failed.

I don't care that nintendo messes up , every publisher does.i'm not protecting nintendo or anything , i just don't like that the result is nothing like i want as a player of the franchise.

Rambler

What makes spin off cool is when you take a cool take at a franchise. Like when Nintendo makes a side story of Samus' Prime stories on DS, or when Nintendo make a fighting game with its main characters. Not when it strips off a serie of all its appealing features to turn it into a generic concept and generic art.
The idea of having to go through a Metroid game in a big clunky mech beause your technology isn't as advanced is cool as hell but this game treats that idea like an afterthought.

All the environments and enemies are scaled for a normal sized character and even though you're a big stompy robot your main weapon feels like a peashooter.

Splitting Samus up into four less fun versions of herself instead of coming up with new characters with their own unique abilities is such a wasted opportunity. Even hunters gave all the new characters their own unique alt forms, signature weapons and customized HUDs.

Not only does it take what should be a fresh perspective on the setting and turn it into a watered down version of what we've already played, but it makes the setting less cool because now you ask yourself why you even need Samus if these four random yahoos can get the job done too.

It's not because it's a spin off that it gives it a pass go look like bad or generic.
Metroid Prime Hunters is a spin off. Same for Metroid Pinball which was basically a pinball game, but taking at the universe of Metroid, keeping the same art style.
Yes, everyone is aware this is a spinoff. "It's a spinoff" is not a defense.

"It's a spinoff" does not excuse how boring the gameplay looks and how awful the visuals are.

There are so many ways they could have done a spinoff that would have excited fans. This is not one of them. Far from it.

I never said it should get a free pass for being a spinoff. I was just addressing what that poster directly said, that it doesn't look like a Metroid game. He didn't say whether it looked bad or good, just that it looked different from what he's used to. Which would be a respectable criticism if this was Metroid Prime 4, but it's very blatantly a lower-budget sidestory / spinoff with experimental mechanics that deviate from the series norm.

Yeah, so many of Nintendo's best games were/are spinoffs. They get criticized a lot for re-using the same ol' IPs, sometimes for good reason, but sometimes it's led to great stuff like Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, etc.

Fat Goron

Between this and the Paper Mario threads, there is always this type of Nintendo fan who seems completely oblivious to the fact that Nintendo is a company (that should be) trying to sell a product, we are costumers looking forward to products that meet our expectations and convince us to invest our money, and this is a discussion board specifically made so we can talk about what we look forward and what we don't.

The art style would have been easier for people to accept if it wasn't tied to the metroid name... that's how you try new things , those things can fail , but then they fail on their own merits. I know the power of the brand , the franchise is powerfull but i'm considering that the last attempt was other M and it failed.

I don't care that nintendo messes up , every publisher does.i'm not protecting nintendo or anything , i just don't like that the result is nothing like i want as a player of the franchise.

That's where you're wrong. Codename Steam was a new IP and its artstyle got heavy criticism.

Which merits ? "You tried" isn't enough when it's so dull and bad looking.

Also people should stop using the same old tired argument about people asking for change then refusing it when Zelda Breath of the Wild gets people so hyped with all its new changes. Or when you people claim people are against new IPs when Splatoon is such a success.

Being new or changing isn't a merit by its own. You also have to be good at it. Star Fox Zero or Metroid Federation Force gets criticized because they're just bad. That's what people should understand.

sd28821

the guys is arguing with some one who said its not metroid not that it looks good or couldnt look better.

entremet

I think this game got way too much hate.

I feel bad for NLG. It seems the lack of a proper Metroid for the Wii U enraged fans into hating on this title.

100 percent this game would not gotten so much hate if a proper HD Metroid came out.

the guys is arguing with some one who said its not metroid not that it looks good or couldnt look better.

Yes, by saying it's a spin off so a change in style isn't shocking. The problem isn't only the change of style. It's that the style looks bad.

I feel bad for NLG. It seems the lack of a proper Metroid for the Wii U enraged fans into hating on this title.

100 percent this game would not gotten so much hate if a proper HD Metroid came out.

Of course it wouldn't get hate because it would be a side product next to an appealing one. It would get no interest, that's all, or just a slight curiosity.

KingBroly

Banned

They could've made a proper 2D Metroid game on 3DS and people would've been ECSTATIC (assuming it would be good). This looks forced, cheap and sterile.

Pandy

Nonsense. Splatoon is clearly a new thing. If it was just a reskinned Super Mario Sunshine multiplayer mod people would have called it out as such.

I obviously haven't played the full FF game, just watched a couple of videos, so I can't claim to know every similarity or difference, but it clearly handles in a very similar way to Metroid Prime. I've just tried out Blast Ball for the first time and just as I expected I'm locked on target, firing on target, while dashing/jumping around. It feels very similar, and it's not like all these people desperate for a new Metroid game wouldn't have picked up on the similarities in a heartbeat. Most FPS games don't handle anything like Prime.

I contrasted the 'beasts' with the 'intelligent enemies' because not every game has a mixture of both, while Metroid games typically feature Space Pirates as well as flora and fauna to fight. Unless one or the other had been removed from FF it's another point that would have been picked up as a similarity. Likewise with things such as Freeze attacks.

If you took out all the things this game takes from Prime (as opposed to focussing on what's missing) you'd be left with things like the general art style, 4-player co-op, distinct level selection, the power up system, and Blast Ball. The core of the game is clearly rooted in Prime.

Obviously this isn't a game for everyone, and I'm not saying Prime fans should rush out and buy the game just because it has core similarities, but the undue criticism this game is getting for merely existing is beyond a joke.

Only thing I'm going to say is that with the already average sales of Metroid games, doing something like this which alienates a lot of the core fans seems like a really bad idea. In fact calling this game Metroid at all just seems like a bad idea.

If this game doesn't do well Nintendo really only has themselves to blame and IMO for smaller franchises like Metroid Nintendo absolutely needs to listen to their fans.

sd28821

Yes, by saying it's a spin off so a change in style isn't shocking. The problem isn't only the change of style. It's that the style looks bad.

Of course it wouldn't get hate because it would be a side product next to an appealing one. It would get no interest, that's all, or just a slight curiosity.

and the change of style being unappealing toyou doesnt make this not ametriod game which is what they were arguing about.

That's where you're wrong. Codename Steam was a new IP and its artstyle got heavy criticism.

Which merits ? "You tried" isn't enough when it's so dull and bad looking.

Also people should stop using the same old tired argument about people asking for change then refusing it when Zelda Breath of the Wild gets people so hyped with all its new changes. Or when you people claim people are against new IPs when Splatoon is such a success.

Being new or changing isn't a merit by its own. You also have to be good at it. Star Fox Zero or Metroid Federation Force gets criticized because they're just bad. That's what people should understand.

Wow , you don't understand my argument here.
codeSTEAM was a new Ip and was critised .. that's FINE
That's fine.

I just don't like that it's using the metroid name when it could have been a new IP.
Let them do things as new IP instead of putting the name of an Ip on a project .. Like starfox guard did.( bad exemple but that's the spirit of my argument) It doesn't magically make what they attempting become better because they have a franchise attached to it.

I'm not against new IPs , i want new IPs .. Let them try and fail or try and win with new Ips.
Zelda is obviously an exception since it's a franchise that try new things with each game.. But an exception like zelda is not the rule

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So you want Metroid games but only if they fit your guidelines of what a Metroid game should be?

This is "Super Mario 3D World isn't a 3D Mario game" all over again.

Boy the corporate defense is strong with you. Yeah, Metroid fans have every right to vent, given Metroid releases are few and far between. The upcoming release being some spin off title that doesn't even look like it belongs in the Metroid universe doesn't help.

Narroo

"Listen nerds, we're trying to do four player simultaneous online co-op on a piece of hardware with 2005 mobile phone tech, CUT US SOME SLACK."

"Well, why are you trying to do four player simultaneous online co-op on a piece of hardware with 2005 mobile phone tech?!"

Top Bottom