• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Digital Downloads - April 2009 (VC/WiiWare/DSiWare)

Christine

I'm just here to post in support of having a monthly thread for these releases, I gave up on reading the mega-threads some time ago. I think this format will work well.

nli10

Can't wait to find out how often the UK DSi store gets updated. Found somewhere selling Wii Points cards for £15 still locally so that I don't have to pay the DSi tax of £20 in store or £18 online :p

Captain N

JodyAnthony said:
"Brain Age Express: Math (Nintendo | 200pts) "

it's actually 800 points (and the best thing on NA DSiWare currently, IMO)

I agree with you 110%! This is the best game in the shop right now and I plan on playing it every single day.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Man, Pyoro/Birds and Beans is so addicting.

Once you've reached the 5000 points mark and figure out how to quickly get points, the game is a blast. I thought it was super hard at first, but really, once you "get" it, the 10k points mark is easily reached. Pyoro 2 is even cooler if you ask me.

I especially like how the music and the visuals get messed up the higher your score goes :D.

Meier

Monthly thread = better. Massive threads = the suck outside of the Off Topic forum.

Looking for some impressions on the DSiWare games..

Captain N

Meier said:
Monthly thread = better. Massive threads = the suck outside of the Off Topic forum.

Looking for some impressions on the DSiWare games..

I just started a whole thread about DSiWare impressions. I'm on my phone and can't link to it right now, but it should be the newest thread I started.

Varshes

Masked Man said:
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons has some of the most wonderful music I've heard in a game. :D

It does, the CD is awesome. Used to love it as a kid, didn't realize it was Yoko Kanno until I started liking her anime scores.

Right, another revision to the OP to try and incorporate some of the suggestions, corrections and additions (and a temp banner ;-) )

I'll keep working on it this week, and in the meantime please fire up any feedback.

tebunker

Banned
I just popped in and Uncharted Waters: New Horizons. OMG the Uncharted Waters series was one of my favorite. I finished every story line in New Horizons. I lived for Koei games, and this was no exception. I am +1 right now.

Somnid

Cosmonaut X said:
Right, another revision to the OP to try and incorporate some of the suggestions, corrections and additions (and a temp banner ;-) )

I'll keep working on it this week, and in the meantime please fire up any feedback.

For annoucements I think you should just list the one's from that week and take all the rest and put them into a "sub-thread" posted in this one so that they won't clutter the primary post. The reason being is that each territory has a different set of games and so it might also be useful for Europeans to see what the US already has but they don't, Americans seeing what Europe has and both to see what Japan is has. The other problem is that since Japan has so many games that would need to be imports it might be easier to filter out what has an English version and simply not list the rest without furth confirmation since it would have to be an import.

I actually have most of this info so I can help you out here if you'd like.

Also,

Clayfigher (GEN)
Earthworm Jim 2 (GEN)
Fanal Fantasy (NES)

Have all been announced by publishers, though EWJ2 is the only one rated so far.

Teknoman

Great OP design :D

Rash said:
I still don't understand why VC releases can't be universal.

I wish they were. Especially since import titles are already available in most regions on VC, they could at least make the same games that released worldwide, release in the same timeframe.

Somnid said:
For annoucements I think you should just list the one's from that week and take all the rest and put them into a "sub-thread" posted in this one so that they won't clutter the primary post. The reason being is that each territory has a different set of games and so it might also be useful for Europeans to see what the US already has but they don't, Americans seeing what Europe has and both to see what Japan is has. The other problem is that since Japan has so many games that would need to be imports it might be easier to filter out what has an English version and simply not list the rest without furth confirmation since it would have to be an import.

I actually have most of this info so I can help you out here if you'd like.

Also,

Clayfigher (GEN)
Earthworm Jim 2 (GEN)
Fanal Fantasy (NES)

Have all been announced by publishers, though EWJ2 is the only one rated so far.

Thanks for the offer - I'll definitely take you up on it.

What I'll try to do today - when I'm not working! - is put together an announcements and ratings "archive" as a post in this thread, linked into the OP. I can then shift some of the stuff in the OP that is useful info to have a click away, but not current (like the older ESRB ratings, for example) into that archive post.

Still some things to sort, but that's the OP up to date and tweaked again. It should now have all of the new announcements from the NoE PR.

Somnid

Here's the list, any corrections are welcome. This is for a US point-of-view, I might also be able to do a European one but it'll take some time to sort through.

Announced for Japan, has previous US version:

[ARC] Cyber Sled
[ARC] Dragon Buster
[ARC] Dragon Saber
[ARC] Dragon Spirit
[ARC] Galaga '88
[ARC] Hopping Mappy
[ARC] Knuckleheads
[ARC] Marvel Land
[ARC] Numan Athletics
[ARC] Pac-Mania
[ARC] Rolling Thunder
[ARC] Sky Kid
[ARC] Splatterhouse
[ARC] StarBlade
[ARC] Xevious
[NES] Final Fantasy
[SMS] Phantasy Star

Released in Japan, has previous US version:

[ARC] Emeraldia
[ARC] Return of Ishtar
[ARC] Solvalou
[ARC] Space Invaders
[GEN] Atomic Runner (Chenlov)
[GEN] Galaxy Force II
[GEN] Last Battle (Hokuto no Ken: Shinseiki Ura Kyuusei Aruji Densetsu)
[GEN] Phelios
[GEN] Revenge of Shinobi
[GEN] Shadow Dancer
[GEN] Target Earth (Assault Suits Leynos)
[GEN] Warsong (Langrisser)
[GEN] Wings of Wor (Gynoug)
[N64] Super Smash Bros
[NES] Nintendo World Cup (Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball-bu Soccer-hen)
[SMS] Black Belt (Hokuto no Ken)
[SNES] Nobunaga's Ambition
[TGCD] Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes
[TGCD] Dungeon Explorer 2

Released in Europe, has previous US version:

[C64] Boulder Dash
[C64] California Games
[C64] Chop 'n Drop (International Karate+)
[C64] Cybernoid
[C64] Impossible Mission
[C64] Impossible Mission II
[C64] Jumpman
[C64] The Last Ninja 2
[C64] Mayhem in Monsterland
[C64] Paradroid
[C64] Tower Toppler (Nebulus)
[C64] Uridium
[C64] Winter Games
[C64] World Games
[GEN] Clayfighter
[NES] Skate or Die!

Released in Both Japan and Europe, has previous US version:

[GEN] ESWAT: City under Siege
[GEN] Crack Down
[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
[SNES] Mario's Super Picross (European Import)

Somnid -

Cheers for the list! I started incorporating it into the OP, but I've got part of the way through and I'm not entirely sure I'm going about it the right way. I need to try and find a clear and simple way of organising all of this information - new announcements, games out in one territory and not another and potential titles for release over here - and I'll need to go back and think it over again, so don't take the half-finished messy version in the OP as the final one!

Thanks for your input - it's much appreciated.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
not sure if this is the place to post it, but NoE listed upcoming releases for wiiware/DSiware up to July. Haven't seen any indications of future DSiware titles before.

link

DSiWare:
* A Little Bit of... Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training: Maths Edition (Nintendo)
* Art Style: PICOPICT (Nintendo)
* Mighty Flip Champs! (Wayforward Technologies)
* Mixed Messages (Activision)
* Pop Superstar: Road to Celebrity (Gameloft)
* Real Football 2009 (Gameloft)

Wiiware
* Bonsai Barber (Nintendo)
* Cave Story (Nicalis)
* ColorZ (Exkee)
* Crystal Defenders R1 (Square Enix)
* Icarian: Kindred Spirits (Over the Top Games)
* LIT (Wayforward Technologies)
* Overturn: Mecha Wars (Gamebridge)
* Robocalypse: Beaver Defense (Vogster Entertainment)
* Spaceball: Revolution (Virtual Toys)
* Squibs Arcade (Alten8)
* Swords & Soldiers (Ronimo Games)
* Water Warfare (Hudson Soft)

mrklaw said:
not sure if this is the place to post it, but NoE listed upcoming releases for wiiware/DSiware up to July. Haven't seen any indications of future DSiware titles before.

link

DSiWare:
* A Little Bit of... Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training: Maths Edition (Nintendo)
* Art Style: PICOPICT (Nintendo)
* Mighty Flip Champs! (Wayforward Technologies)
* Mixed Messages (Activision)
* Pop Superstar: Road to Celebrity (Gameloft)
* Real Football 2009 (Gameloft)

Wiiware
* Bonsai Barber (Nintendo)
* Cave Story (Nicalis)
* ColorZ (Exkee)
* Crystal Defenders R1 (Square Enix)
* Icarian: Kindred Spirits (Over the Top Games)
* LIT (Wayforward Technologies)
* Overturn: Mecha Wars (Gamebridge)
* Robocalypse: Beaver Defense (Vogster Entertainment)
* Spaceball: Revolution (Virtual Toys)
* Squibs Arcade (Alten8)
* Swords & Soldiers (Ronimo Games)
* Water Warfare (Hudson Soft)

No, this is the perfect place to post it :)

I've got some of them in the OP - and the link to the NoE press release - but I'm missing a couple, and I didn't have the links to the individual pages. I'll incorporate them in a moment. Cheers!

Somnid

Javaman said:
Has Nintendo confirmed the rumors of GBA/GB downloads for the DSi?

No.

Also, if we are putting everything into the OP from Japan, then here's the current month's list:

[FC] Castlevania 3
[SFC] Der Langrisser
[SFC] Kirby's Dreamland 3
[SMS] Phantasy Star
[PCE] Ninja Gaiden
[MSX] Relics (been on the list for well over a year now)

Quite frankly, it doesn't seem worth it to me since the JP site is already perfectly fine for this and the left out info probably isn't that interesting for English speakers but...

oneHeero

Need more content in DSiWare, dammit Nintendo lets go. I bought your DSi but dont even want to go online w/ it since there are only like 6 games available and none got glowing reviews(here and there only).

Barrett2

Dr. Mario & PICOPICT both look like awesome DSiWare games. :D

Seeing those two previews makes me feel much better about my purchase.

For those interested, Giant Bomb has a nice DSiWare review roundup.

zigg

rcl66 said:
Anyone know if Brain Age Express has the Sudoku game from the full Brain Age carts?

No. It apparently has Virus Buster, though.

Honestly, they should spin off the Brain Age Sudoku engine and sell puzzle packs for 200-500. That would be bitchin'. Especially without the floating polygonal disembodied head of Dr. K making me draw pictures every few times I go in to scratch in some numbers. :D

Capndrake

Tonight's EU WiiWare update is, according to the Nintendo Channel:

-Bubble Bobble Plus!
-Equilibrio
-Family & Friends Party

Btw, on your PEGI list, Critters is really Critter Round-Up - It's been out for a while.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Capndrake said:

-Bubble Bobble Plus!
-Equilibrio
-Family & Friends Party

Btw, on your PEGI list, Critters is really Critter Round-Up - It's been out for a while.

thx.

So no DSiWare Update ?

panda21

still can't download dsiware games :((((((

no one else having this problem? it seems to work better if i set my router to 802.11b, but even then after it gets about 1/4 full it goes back to just mario and then errors :mad:

even tried connecting via my macbook and that didnt work either

can you connect via a wii somehow???

Capndrake said:

-Bubble Bobble Plus!
-Equilibrio
-Family & Friends Party

Thanks - I'll add these into the OP. I suspected Critters was Critter Round-Up, but I thought it worth including in case it wasn't. I'll remove it now.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
alanias said:
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons is one of the best RPGs on the SNES. If you want a unique RPG it's totally worth the 800 points!

Agree wholeheartedly. The series as a whole is amazingly fun, but this particular game may be the best game of them all. I absolutely love the sandbox feel but at the same time having a 'main' quest to achieve. The fact there are 6 characters in total adds up to some serious playing time as well. This is one of my favorite franchises of all time, and curse Koei for abandoning it in the States. I'm still waiting for Daikoukai Jidai Online. :(

panda21

finally! :D

just incase anyone else is having the 204038 errors downloading from the store problem, having tried EVERYTHING, every possible combination of wireless connection setups, it turns out the one thing that fixes it, is to set the MTU to the lowest possible value on the DS.

Top Bottom