• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2012.11.7 on Wii U system features - Nov. 7, 6AM EST

moozoom

Say what you will about Nintendo and online, so far I'm very impressed by the Wii's online features

It's friendlier than the x-box avatar system, and the dramatically bad Home on ps3. Seeing the Mii wandering about, with the messages and drawings will be more engaging than what you see on x-box when you access the friend list.

Also it seems less based on bragging with your gamerscore and showing the flashy clothes you bought with real money for your avatar, but actual interaction. I've never interacted with a stranger on x-box live that I wanted to add to my friend list afterwards, but I could see that happen with miiverse.

Disappointed to see them charging for Wii U Karaoke sessions. That seems slightly absurd to me. Next thing you know they'll be releasing arcade games and charging you for each credit! /sarcasm

Pretty sure a month's subscription was only 1000 yen. That's super cheap.

Also, how will the so-called spoiler system work? I'm guessing you have to mark a message as a spoiler, because I can't imagine them reading every single message for every game. Seems like a good way for losers to ruin games with stories.

They apparently have a system to automatically detect spoilers (keywords) and hide posts. You can flag it as a spoiler yourself. Or, I think, other people can.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Reggie is clearly intimidated by Iwata.

I think he was intimidated and looked "disturbed" because there is a micro-cactus infestation on Nintendo headquarters all over the world, some can barely resist to the urge of screaming their pain (like Reggie), some others like the NSMBU staff just can't (hence all the aïe aïe aïe oï oï oï).

IdeaMan, always here for explanations.

Oh, well, carry on.

Lol at Iwata explaining to the audience that the upcoming TV ad campaign will be for people who don't have any idea about the system.

Might have helped if Reggie said it before the US ad went up..

EDIT: As I thought, you can make up to 12 accounts for the system.

Ashler

My body is ready... !

white_gloves.gif

Must have blinked in the presentation, but apparently you can access 3rd party online services with your Nintendo Network ID - so stuff like Origins, Uplay I guess? As rumored.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The subtitled video is up!

Tweet from @NintendoEurope

Watch Mr Iwata present news about the #WiiU account system and Nintendo Network ID in this subtitled video ow.ly/f5Ajn

Randdalf

Are NoA doing their own one today as well?

edit: also interesting is that other companies will be able to use Nintendo Network IDs... Steam on WiiU?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Fuck, this has me hyped even more! Mario looks like a lot of fun.

It's either this or saving my money for a trip to Japan next year... :[ Someone donate a few hundred quid to me please? I'll be your friend if you do.

TriGen

This was the best video to show off the Wii U. It was extremely hype inducing. I have been pretty calm about this compared to other console launches, but this video will have me twiddling my thumbs till launch.

The confirmation of NID, saves and everything else tied to your account, the way they showed how fluid Miiverse and the GamePad works, plus Reggie cameo, and the greatest unboxing of all-time! Seriously, that Iwata unboxing with the white gloves put my hyper meter at max.

I expect that there will be a NoA ND next week, sometime between the 13-15. The election likely caused them to wait an extra week, plus Iwata is probaly the best at handling the first big reveal of the OS. It took Nintendo 11 days from launch to really deliver a good showcase for the Wii U, but they did it. Also, I think NSMBU is looking great.

Stewox

Banned
Stuff like a setting to hide spoiler posts is why i so agree with nintendo online philosophy, i dont want them to do things like competitors, i like they are different.

ASIS

Also, the video of the guy playing NSMBU at the beginning, switching between TV screen to Gamepad to web browser etc. Really demonstrated the Wii U potential better than any other attempt so far. That was awesome!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Multiple users w/ Miis per system, up to 10. Game settings, save data tied to user accounts.

Nintendo Network purchases by one user can be played by other users on same system

very nice, basically the same as PS3/360, but good to have it clarified.

Did they talk about how you add friends? They mentioned you can add people you find in Miiverse, but how about others?

Nosgoroth

While it’s extremely rare, communities can break down because of rude people taking advantage of anonymity.

Uh... Iwata, better be on your guard.

Miiverse has a ‘Yeah’ button that you can push if someone’s comment resonates with you.

"Yeah" button, wow.

EDIT:

When someone feels empathetic and hits ‘Yeah’ on your comment, you get a notification.

*chime* "You got yeah'd."

Wii no Ma was a format that was installed on the client side, but Miiverse is an Internet service so we can change the service however we want from the server side.

I wonder just how much of it is server-side and can be changed without updating the client.

Pikma

Banned
This was an ok presentation.

Iwata unboxing the system to show you what you get was a nice idea.

Good video explaining the tv-to-gamepad transitions and functions. If enough people had the thing, we could kiss landlines good-bye what with the video chat function right there in your living room. Eventually all smart TVs will likely include this feature, though.

Disappointed to see them charging for Wii U Karaoke sessions. That seems slightly absurd to me. Next thing you know they'll be releasing arcade games and charging you for each credit! /sarcasm

Nintendo Land looks pretty terrible as usual. Visually it reminds me quite a bit of Banjo Nuts and Bolts. The simplistic Miis and environments just look tacky in HD.

I had hoped NSMBU would have a level editor, too bad it's just coin placement. You'd think with their whole online community and sharing aspect that they'd let users create and share levels. Oh well, there's always NSMBU2.

I can imagine the prompts to leave memos when you die will get annoying
Also, how will the so-called spoiler system work? I'm guessing you have to mark a message as a spoiler, because I can't imagine them reading every single message for every game. Seems like a good way for losers to ruin games with stories.

Game looks good, I liked the little thief character. That should have been the character you control during speed runs. Unfortunately they either don't have many new power-ups or they are keeping them secret - hopefully there's more than just the gliding squirrel suit.

Hey watch out guys, somenone's negativity valve is leaking.

deleted

Sounds good so far, the only things missing now are a mention of accomplishments and voice chat/party chat during online play. If that's OS level, great, if not, meh...
I will mostly use the system for local multiplayer, but it's nice to have options.

I loved that unboxing video, if any other company had made it they would of edited out the mistake of putting the stand backwards onto the desk. Instead, it felt nice and natural and nobody cares :D

BlankaBR

Banned
OMG the footage of Mario during the interview looks amazing!!!
The world map! !!!
And Nintendoland plaza looks very nice too

Whenever I watch a Nintendo direct video I like to pretend they're not trying to be funny, and this is how all of them act in their every day life.

Top Bottom