• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct : Tomodachi Collection confirmed for Europe/na

Converse

Banned
Oh, man. The North American trailer for this game is abysmal. Christina Aguilera? Who is this appealing to? I guess teenage girls, but will teenage girls be into the surrealist dream sequences and rap battles? The Direct did such a fantastic job of expressing what makes this game bizarre and wonderful, and the trailer seems to want to hide those qualities. I'm always criticizing folks for the constant barrage of "Nintendo should...," but Jesus Christ -- NoA needs to ditch their marketing firm. Disgraceful.

Thankfully, I'm informed enough to look past their awful marketing and am completely stoked for Tomodachi Life. Question for Japanese players: did Nintendo offer "official" Miis for download? Like Link, Zelda, Samus, Miyamoto, Iwata, etc.? After watching today's Direct, I'd be interested to have those.

onilink88

5f0aa1d3ca54e93665fdfvoskp.jpg

If a beefcake Reggie in a speedo isn't considered art, it should be.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I think you passed out.
WHAT!?
I THINK HE PASSED OUT!

I can't tell if the whole thing is madness or brilliance.

We need a sitcom with the Nintendo higher ups as the cast.

We'll call it, "MEANWHILE, AT NINTENDO!"

Riki

I think you passed out.
WHAT!?
I THINK HE PASSED OUT!

I can't tell if the whole thing is madness or brilliance.

We need a sitcom with the Nintendo higher ups as the cast.

We'll call it, "MEANWHILE, AT NINTENDO!"

I would watch every episode. I don't even care.

So...this is basically Animal Crossing x Sims x Second Life except with your real life friends & family + insane Nintendo wackiness?

I wanna like it, (and it seems neat) but damn it looks pretty ugly. I know visuals =/= bad game though. I guess I'll pick it up if my friends do but I'm not so sure.

I'd still rather have DQVII3DS. Still good on Nintendo for bringing it over.

Joqu

The thread has been ruined since the mere thought of Nintendo not becoming a progressive idol has dawned on people.

Once again, self-righteousness kills the thread.

Oh well, I still enjoyed the direct.

And with that, I'm out.

Wat

Yeah I bet you'd be out after making that post, holy shit.

The game looks like it's a lot of fun. I'm still buying, some people aren't and that's okay. Stuff like this is important and people have every right to be upset, because you know what? Nothing is going to change if people keep quiet about these things. That's no "self-righteousness" and it sure as hell isn't what is killing the thread.

Clov

If it's not there, they ought to patch it in. It couldn't be that difficult to implement. There's nothing wrong with having options, and this is one I think it would be worth it to campaign for.

Though I will say the Mii in the game doesn't seem to be you, per se. You, the player, are mostly a non-entity and are watching characters play out weird circumstances. It's not so much supposed to be Animal Crossing (you are getting a house, you are building a life) so much as it is watching a high school play being written about you.

Valkrai

I honestly would like to see this as a miniseries on Nintendo's youtube channel not only to showcase the game but just to have shenanigans going on with the heads of Nintendo and Treehouse.

Chatin

Has there been any backlash against the Harvest Moon series for only allowing heteresexual couplings?

The game comes across to me as a series of ongoing tv skits that your Miis play acting roles in. It seems rather harmless.

catmincer

Has there been any backlash against the Harvest Moon series for only allowing heteresexual couplings?

The game comes across to me as a series of ongoing tv skits that your Miis play acting roles in. It seems rather harmless.

This is based on real people in your life, Harvest moon is not. If myself and my BF are both playing it and can see each other in the game, we should be able to marry each other in it.

Though I will say the Mii in the game doesn't seem to be you, per se. You, the player, are mostly a non-entity and are watching characters play out weird circumstances. It's not so much supposed to be Animal Crossing (you are getting a house, you are building a life) so much as it is watching a high school play being written about you.

Yeah you're right. I wonder how much variability this game will have. I'd imagine it'll get old rather quickly if the same scenarios are triggered with different Mii's over and over. (Not saying that that's exactly what the game is, but I'm not really clear how the game flows I guess.)

Chatin

This is based on real people in your life, Harvest moon is not. If myself and my BF are both playing it and can see each other in the game, we should be able to marry each other in it.
It's based on any Miis you have in your Maker or Plaza (based on real people you know personally, or celebrities, or fictional characters, or just nonsense creations) taking on roles in hilarious skits. It sounds like you have little control over what these Miis get up to. It doesn't really sound like a serious life simulator to me.

rawktapus

Are you able to choose who you marry in the game? I was under the impression that you just watch their lives play out independently, so even if you put you and your significant other in the game, they wouldn't necessarily hook up, or is there a way to sort of dictate who they fall in love with?

Labrys

Harvest Moon DS Cute's Japanese version allowed same sex female marriage, although it was taken out of the American release. The most recent 3DS version does allow you to cross dress to present the illusion of same sex marriage, but pronouns and such of the gender you started with are still in place. And yes, I've seen plenty of people want same sex marriages implemented/returned to the harvest moon series. The Cute version even got around child birth by making it so your child is left by one of the Harvest Sprites, they could very easily do something similar here.

I still don't get how you actually play this game outside of just watching things unfold. In what ways is it interactive? I saw a Mii getting fed and some weird mini games.

The forced pregnancy annoys me just as much as the lack of a homosexual relationship option, honestly. But regardless, this game looks freaking hysterical. So weird, yet so interesting. I wish Nintendo would make more games like this.

Shinta

Banned
My Mii-Maker is going to be fucking crazy by the time June comes around.

Cast of Star Trek: TNG
Cast of Stargate SG-1
Dracula
Jack Bauer
Iwata, Reggie
Lightning, Fang, Vanille, Caius
Cast of Dragon Ball Z
Jem, Synergy, The Misfits

Who else to put in ....

Game-Biz

My Mii-Maker is going to be fucking crazy by the time June comes around.

Cast of Star Trek: TNG
Cast of Stargate SG-1
Dracula
Jack Bauer
Iwata, Reggie
Lightning, Fang, Vanille, Caius
Cast of Dragon Ball Z
Jem, Synergy, The Misfits

Who else to put in ....
Present day Rust Cohle?

Sakura

The forced pregnancy annoys me just as much as the lack of a homosexual relationship option, honestly. But regardless, this game looks freaking hysterical. So weird, yet so interesting. I wish Nintendo would make more games like this.

There isn't forced pregnancy.

Shinta

Banned
Present day Rust Cohle?

He'd fit right in actually, considering the whole island appears to be on heavy drugs.

Might as well throw in a few presidents. They're always full of comedy potential.

I think I'll have to put in Mario, Peach, Link and Zelda too.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't think they will put gay marriage in this game from the looks of it, but if people campaigns about it hard enough Nintendo may put it at the next game.

Nintendo does not strike me as a company that tries actively to chase away gay people. Especially since the gay cause has gained tremendous strides lately in terms of acceptance and awareness.

Top Bottom