• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct : Tomodachi Collection confirmed for Europe/na

Riki

I don't think they will put gay marriage in this game from the looks of it, but if people campaigns about it hard enough Nintendo may put it at the next game.

Nintendo does not strike me as a company that tries actively to chase away gay people. Especially since the gay cause has gained tremendous strides lately in terms of acceptance and awareness.
Captain Rainbow had gay characters in it, didn't it?

I don't think they will put gay marriage in this game from the looks of it, but if people campaigns about it hard enough Nintendo may put it at the next game.

Nintendo does not strike me as a company that tries actively to chase away gay people. Especially since the gay cause has gained tremendous strides lately in terms of acceptance and awareness.

Nintendo will most likely have a post purchase club nintendo survey, people can also put in their request to make the option available in future installments.

Labrys

Captain Rainbow had gay characters in it, didn't it?

you might be thinking of how they portrayed Birdo, which was not as gay but trangender, and if i recall correctly was in an extremely transmisogynistic way.

Nintendo will most likely have a post purchase club nintendo survey, people can also put in their request to make the option available in future installments.

the problem with that is the post purchase part, i have no desire to purchase this game. there should be a way to tell Nintendo about these requests without supporting the business practice.

Riki

you might be thinking of how they portrayed Birdo, which was not as gay but trangender, and if i recall correctly was in an extremely transmisogynistic way.
Nah I wasn't thinking of Birdo there. Oh well. I still want to plau that game.

FrsDvl

I watched the trailer and wondered, how can they even charge money for this. Then i watched the Direct. Holy shit, i need this game even though i still don't understand what it is.

Refugio

the problem with that is the post purchase part, i have no desire to purchase this game. there should be a way to tell Nintendo about these requests without supporting the business practice.

You can prob do it in an intend to buy survey

You don't have actually buy the stuff with that

CitrusStorm

Unconfirmed Member
question... Is this Nintendo kicking their very early pre E3 game info into gear. I mean a whole direct for Smash and now this.... should we be expecting more?

Same thoughts I'm having. I didn't think the Smash direct counted for the bi-monthly Directs for general game coverage.

Nerokis

I watched the trailer and wondered, how can they even charge money for this. Then i watched the Direct. Holy shit, i need this game even though i still don't understand what it is.

It's actually surprisingly popular. The original and the sequel have sold at least 3.2 million and 1.82 million copies, respectively, according to Wikipedia. I'm glad Nintendo decided to give it a chance over here.

MisterHero

Oh? Have we received enough indication that is going to be the case? So these rumors/leaks are turning out to be true? Sorry, haven't been paying much attention to recent SSB happenings.
It's just my opinion; I'm not aligning them according to leaks.

I'm also kinda bummed that Lark from Pilotwings 64 is probably snubbed. Pilotwings Resort also starred Miis, but the Jetpack is an item rather than a move. So yeah, the Pilotwings item might actually also be complimenting Mii.

ShockingAlberto said:
There's already a Tomodachi stage, anyway.
That's right!

Also I'm just pleased that Nintendo finally managed to release Stage Debut after so many years. :p

Oh? Have we received enough indication that is going to be the case? So these rumors/leaks are turning out to be true? Sorry, haven't been paying much attention to recent SSB happenings.

The 3DS version has a Find Mii stage and a Tomodachi Collection stage, and the Wii U version has a Pilotwings stage.
Seems like an awful lot to not have Mii as a playable character. I'm expecting it to be an E3 announcement.

I didn't realize just how bizarre this game is.

I really would like to play it, but without same sex relationships, I feel that this game is just helping Nintendo regress even more in that regard. You can't plaster "Your Life" on the box and then restrict the player's options.

Blarg. :/

Canon

Banned

I really would like to play it, but without same sex relationships, I feel that this game is just helping Nintendo regress even more in that regard. You can't plaster "Your Life" on the box and then restrict the player's options.

It looked like Iwata and Reggie were in a relationship...?

Does it have to spell it out?

It looked like Iwata and Reggie were in a relationship...?

Does it have to spell it out?
Yes, I would like them to spell it out.

Gay relationships are not something that need to be hidden or only alluded to. The deserve to be just as visable as straight relationships.

Zalman

question... Is this Nintendo kicking their very early pre E3 game info into gear. I mean a whole direct for Smash and now this.... should we be expecting more?
Maybe one more ordinary Direct, but that's it. The Smash Direct was a smart move since they didn't spoil any new game surprises. There's always something to pull from in Smash. I also don't think Tomodachi is a good game to show off at E3.

Canon

Banned
Well I don't know how many other games include them. Not many in my experience. To limit yourself to just those types of games, that must exclude 99%. I don't think you should look at Nintendo for social commentary, I don't think they thought about it.

I didn't play Mass Effect but that's one game.

I feel that this game is just helping Nintendo regress even more in that regard.

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean, do you mind explaining?

Well I don't know how many other games include them. Not many in my experience. To limit yourself to just those types of games, that must exclude 99%. I don't think you should look at Nintendo for social commentary, I don't think they thought about it.

Too often, when homosexual relationships are offered, they treat every character as an option for a same-sex relationship, effectively making everyone bisexual and that really turns me off from games, especially as a bisexual person myself.

Well I don't know how many other games include them. Not many in my experience To limit yourself to just those types of games, that must exclude 99%. I don't think you should look at Nintendo for social commentary, I don't think they thought about it.

This shit is being advertised as doing anything you want with your Mii/Celebrities/Friends but lolnope gay relationships are not real!!
The Sims let's you date the same sex and Animal Crossing is more progressive than this.

I'm sure they definitely have thought about it.

Companies should not get a free pass just because it still hasn't been widely implemented yet. And there are more games than ever including the option for same sex options. Nintendo needs to add themselves to that list.

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean, do you mind explaining?

Too often, when homosexual relationships are offered, they treat every character as an option for a same-sex relationship, effectively making everyone bisexual and that really turns me off from games, especially as a bisexual person myself.
I mean that this is the perfect game for Nintendo to finally step into the present and offer same sex relationships in their games that have a relationship game mechanics.

By willfully denying this route, they are further pushing themselves back into a regressed state of thinking.

Canon

Banned
This shit is being advertised as doing anything you want with your Mii/Celebrities/Friends but lolnope gay relationships are not real!!
The Sims let's you date the same sex and Animal Crossing is more progressive than this.
What? Animal Crossing doesn't let you do anything of the sort.

I'm sorry but you really ought to not think too much about some crazy wacky Japanese game that they decided to localize. The game was already made and done, what did you expect them to do, add that in specifically for the American release?

In Japan, there's not much demand for it, but if you want it in the next game maybe you could write to them (if the game doesn't flop in America). But it's probably not a priority from the creators of Wario Ware and Rythm Heaven making another silly game, not a life simulator (despite being advertised that way). No one's life is like this.

HowZatOZ

Banned

I would argue that not advertising same sex relationships isn't exactly Nintendo "regressing" considering they are probably one of the more open of the big three in this regards. They removed the option because it bugged the game due to two same sex people being able to "get pregnant" and have a baby. If they can fix that and add it back in I'm all for it, shouldn't be that hard.

Does this mean my decision has been made up that its a game I shouldn't buy? No, I don't base my decisions on those kind of topics, but of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't either. I say get a campaign started, get some pressure and hopefully they'll see that there is a demand for it.

I mean that this is the perfect game for Nintendo to finally step into the present and offer same sex relationships in their games that have a relationship game mechanics.

By willfully denying this route, they are further pushing themselves back into a regressed state of thinking.

I think I understand, although I disagree with the nothing that they're pushing back, because it implies they ever had made progress.

Mariolee

Well, it was removed because of a glitch though, not because of any political stance like the games media has spun it. Especially considering it was even implemented in the first place.

I would argue that not advertising same sex relationships isn't exactly Nintendo "regressing" considering they are probably one of the more open of the big three in this regards. They removed the option because it bugged the game due to two same sex people being able to "get pregnant" and have a baby. If they can fix that and add it back in I'm all for it, shouldn't be that hard.

Does this mean my decision has been made up that its a game I shouldn't buy? No, I don't base my decisions on those kind of topics, but of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't either. I say get a campaign started, get some pressure and hopefully they'll see that there is a demand for it.
The male pregnancy bug, and how they chose to "fix" it, is what has me worried. Of couse they could add the functionality to have same sex relationships, and even include a child mechanic through adoption, they just need the guts and fortitude to do it.

I'll make my opinion heard, but the onus is on Nintendo to do what's right, not for fans to convince them of it. It's time for them to get with the program.

I think I understand, although I disagree with the nothing that they're pushing back, because it implies they ever had made progress.
I feel that the way they handled gender in Animal Crossing: New Leaf was a pretty big step forward for the company, and they have had same sex relationships in past Nintendo games. (Though mainly ones that stayed in Japan.)

They do still have a looooooooooong way to go though, and this could be their first big step.

What? Animal Crossing doesn't let you do anything of the sort.

I'm sorry but you really ought to not think too much about some crazy wacky Japanese game that they decided to localize. The game was already made and done, what did you expect them to do, add that in specifically for the American release?

In Japan, there's not much demand for it, but if you want it in the next game maybe you could write to them (if the game doesn't flop in America). But it's probably not a priority from the creators of Wario Ware and Rythm Heaven making another silly game, not a life simulator (despite being advertised that way). No one's life is like this.
Sorry, I meant that Animal Crossing let's you cross dress, I didn't mean anything about dating in that game (lol)

And in my opinion I think it's important that people who care about these kinds of topics to voice their opinions and make the devs notice that there actually is a demand for this and that LGBT people actually exist and should be taken into account when developing these kinds of games. It might be a silly game in which your characters can lead silly lives, but I don't see how adding same-sex relationships makes it less silly or wacky.

Sakura

Not quite. There was no option for same sex relationships. The bug made it so that it was possible (I think the game was treating one of the characters as a girl even though it was a male Mii). They didn't remove an option, because the option didn't exist in the first place outside of the bug.

Oh? O:
From what I was reading it sounded like it was what followed from marriage in the game, Harvest Moon style.
The character will saying something like "I want to have a baby" and you say if you think it's a good idea or not. If you choose not then I'm pretty sure they won't have one, until you decide otherwise.

An important thing to note is that, I think, the bug only allowed for male-male partnerships, not female-female partnerships.

Apparently, there are people in Japan who create Miis that look like their partner and just set them with the opposite gender. Far, far, far, far from any sort of ideal situation, but if you're desperate to do so, it's at least an option to consider. I suppose.

Komo

Banned
Are we stuck with British accents in the EU version? And why does the EU box art look so terrible? :|

I think we are.
Looking at the footage of both the NA and the UK hosts creating their Mii's, their accent slider is in roughly the same place.

Pretty disappointed with that, tbh.

An important thing to note is that, I think, the bug only allowed for male-male partnerships, not female-female partnerships.

Apparently, there are people in Japan who create Miis that look like their partner and just set them with the opposite gender. Far, far, far, far from any sort of ideal situation, but if you're desperate to do so, it's at least an option to consider. I suppose.
A pretty poor option, to be frank.

This isn't a response to you personally, but I wonder just how often straight people think about how much compromise and disappointment LGBT people have to go through in situations like these, when all we want to do is have fun and be able to enjoy games just as much as everyone else. :/

This isn't a response to you personally, but I wonder just how often straight people think about how much compromise and disappointment LGBT people have to go through in situations like these, when all we want to do is have fun and be able to enjoy games just as much as everyone else. :/

Humans tend to be indifferent to others feelings, even more to people they dont relate to

Totakeke

I'm also disappointed that it's a rare chance we get such a quirky game and all people want to talk about is that it doesn't support same sex relationships in the thread. I get it, maybe you don't want to buy the game because of that. That's okay, but I still want to play the game and know more about what the game is than it isn't.

Not quite. There was no option for same sex relationships. The bug made it so that it was possible (I think the game was treating one of the characters as a girl even though it was a male Mii). They didn't remove an option, because the option didn't exist in the first place outside of the bug.

The character will saying something like "I want to have a baby" and you say if you think it's a good idea or not. If you choose not then I'm pretty sure they won't have one, until you decide otherwise.

Woah, sweet. Now Nintendo's just gotta get that homosexual option in there. ;)

I'm also disappointed that it's a rare chance we get such a quirky game and all people want to talk about is that it doesn't support same sex relationships in the thread. I get it, maybe you don't want to buy the game because of that. That's okay, but I still want to play the game and know more about what the game is than it isn't.
No one is stopping you from discussing whatever you wish to about this game, or saying that you shouldn't play it. I honestly don't think you have anything to be disappointed about in that regard.

Obviously people feel strongly about the subject of same sex relationships, myself included, so that's what it has come up. But I can 100% guarantee you that we'd all rather be talking about the "fun" stuff as well, but it's very difficult to focus on that when you have once again been marginalized, especially when this game would be a perfect opportunity to make amends for that.

Totakeke

No one is stopping you from discussing whatever you wish to about this game, or saying that you shouldn't play it.

I honestly don't think you have anything to be disappointed about in that regard.

If I start a thread telling people explicitly not to talk about same sex relationships not being in the game then the only thing people will discuss about is that.

I've been told that I'm greedy or that my sexuality isn't real often enough by the LG side of the LGBT "community" to know that it's not just "straight" people who don't think about how other people feel. People, overall, tend to have difficulty emphasizing with other people they perceive as 'different'.

I do agree with you, though, that given a list of options, the gender-switch thing I wrote about above would be just about last on the list of 'ideal'.

Tyeforce

Great idea, Tyeforce! Will you let us know here once you've made your video or otherwise started your movement? I'd definitely like to support it myself and pass along your video, etc.

Let us know when you get this rolling. I want to support that movement.

I'll support this too. It is important everyone can be represented and #Miiquality is very catchy ;)
I will definitely let you all know when I do something! I'll probably make a thread about it, if that's okay. Still not entirely sure what I'm gonna do...but I really, really feel the need to speak up and do something here. I should have more free time next week to put something together. But I'm really glad that a good amount of people seem to be speaking up about it already! Nintendo needs to know that they'll be alienating a lot of people if they release the game without support for same sex relationships... =/

HowZatOZ

Banned
I have a feeling we just won't see same-sex relationships in this game because its simply a port from an already existing game, and changing the core structure would require far too much time and effort.

I'm not saying that this is a proper excuse, but you do have to remember these people are running a business, and weigh the costs to benefits. Hopefully with enough strong words and talk they'll include the option in a future version, however it is highly unlikely we'll see it in this version. Also I would kind of argue that this is far from a realistic take on "life" wouldn't you?

If I start a thread telling people explicitly not to talk about same sex relationships not being in the game then the only thing people will discuss about is that.
I'm still not sure why a separate topic is necessary, but if you feel the need, no one is stopping you.

I've been told that I'm greedy or that my sexuality isn't real often enough by the LG side of the LGBT "community" to know that it's not just "straight" people who don't think about how other people feel. People, overall, tend to have difficulty emphasizing with other people they perceive as 'different'.

I do agree with you, though, that given a list of options, the gender-switch thing I wrote about above would be just about last on the list of 'ideal'.
Yes, that is sadly another unfortunate aspect of human behavior, even within our "community", as you say. I have friends that range from many different aspects of the LGBT spectrum, and they too have been repressed by people that you think would be the most supportive. A lot of people are just jerks, sad to say.

You'd think in situations like this one, people would look for things that unite us, like our love for quirky videogames, instead of things that separate us.

I'm not saying that this is a proper excuse, but you do have to remember these people are running a business, and weigh the costs to benefits. Hopefully with enough strong words and talk they'll include the option in a future version, however it is highly unlikely we'll see it in this version. Also I would kind of argue that this is far from a realistic take on "life" wouldn't you?
I'm not sure how this statement even applies to the situation. Of course it's not real life, but it is a social sim meant to enact situations based on yourself and people you know/like, with a heavy emphasis on romantic relationships.

The option should be in the game. It's high time people starting holding companies to a higher standard and stopping giving them a free ride simply because they don't want to make "waves" by doing what is right.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
No one is stopping you from discussing whatever you wish to about this game, or saying that you shouldn't play it. I honestly don't think you have anything to be disappointed about in that regard.

Obviously people feel strongly about the subject of same sex relationships, myself included, so that's what it has come up. But I can 100% guarantee you that we'd all rather be talking about the "fun" stuff as well, but it's very difficult to focus on that when you have once again been marginalized, especially when this game would be a perfect opportunity to make amends for that.

Well, hopefully Nintendo put the option for same-sex relationships in the future iteration of the game.

I don't know, its exclusion in this game doesn't strike me as something Nintendo do out of maliciousness towards gay community in their part, though maybe I am wrong. Hopefully the next game you can get what you want.

Tyeforce

It's a serious issue that will greatly affect how a good amount of people will enjoy the game. Of course it's going to be talked about a lot, just as any other big flaw with any other game would be discussed. This one's even worse than, say, poor graphics or frame rate, though, because it's not exactly something that you can just ignore or just learn to deal with for the most part. Relationships are a huge part of the game, and if same sex relationships are omitted then many people won't really be able to enjoy the game to its fullest and see all of its content unless they choose to be in a relationship with a gender that they're not attracted to.

I mean, how do you think straight people would feel if their only relationship option was with the same sex, and if they choose not to be in a relationship they'd miss out on a big part of the game? How would you feel if you weren't able to marry your real life significant other's Mii in the game if you wanted to?

It's kind of a big deal. If relationships weren't such a big part of the game, then it wouldn't really be as big of a deal, but that's not the case.

Well, hopefully Nintendo put the option for same-sex relationships in the future iteration of the game.

I don't know, its exclusion in this game doesn't strike me as something Nintendo do out of maliciousness towards gay community in their part, though maybe I am wrong. Hopefully the next game you can get what you want.
You don't know how many times I've thought this, or been told it by others.

"Hopefully"

When does it become reality? :/

Top Bottom