• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
dallow_bg said:
So after Flip Note Studio...... what else is there for DSiWare?

We'll probably get the G&W and Electroplankton microgames, but you know what I mean.
prehisto, bitches!

wsippel

Banned
That German SRPG I mentioned a while ago has been announced: Grotesque Tactics. The gameplay is supposedly similar to Disgaea or FFT, while the humor and dialoge should be more in line with Monkey Island. At least that's what the developer, Silent Dreams, says. The art is terrible, but the graphics seem to be pretty good for a WiiWare title:

grotesque-tactics-20090803113110590.jpg

zigg

Precipice is a winner in my book.

Though I kind of wish it didn't have the health mechanic. Or, at least, the draining mechanic. I approve of having to recharge health after a squish.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If some of you American butt-pirates (that's a joke, son) are concerned about getting your DSi systems phantom-updated to the flashcart breaking 1.4 menu, you needn't worry. I just connected to the store, purchased, and played Art Style: Precipice, and I'm still at 1.3. So it's looks like Nintendo's not quite pushing/forcing the update in any way, for now.

JSnake

Mejilan said:
If some of you American butt-pirates (that's a joke, son) are concerned about getting your DSi systems phantom-updated to the flashcart breaking 1.4 menu, you needn't worry. I just connected to the store, purchased, and played Art Style: Precipice, and I'm still at 1.3. So it's looks like Nintendo's not quite pushing/forcing the update in any way, for now.

It's also not out in America yet.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, then that would make now the opportune time to log on and buy Precipice! Buy, buy, buy fools! (And get the rest of the Art Style games while you're at it. Most are amazing!)

U.S. wants smash bros. There's a lot of crazy things 2 capt. falcons can do to a donkey kong on the starfox level. Brings back memories of back-kicking him across the screen 4 or 5 times in a row. i wants it.

BooJoh

dallow_bg said:
So after Flip Note Studio...... what else is there for DSiWare?

We'll probably get the G&W and Electroplankton microgames, but you know what I mean.
I don't know how many of these are coming out in which regions, but some that I might consider if/when they hit North America:

Puzzle League Express
Illust Logic (Picross)
Electroplankton
Dragon Quest Wars
Card Hero
myNotebook
Flipper - http://goodbyegalaxygames.blogspot.com/

Ghostfire Games announces their second release (after Helix, the dancing game with two remotes): Rage of the Gladiator

Ghostfire Games (http://www.ghostfiregames.com) has just announced Rage of the Gladiator™, a bold and innovative video game for the WiiWare™ service for the Nintendo™ Wii™.

Rage of the Gladiator is a fantasy fighting game. You control a gladiator, fighting for your life in an arena. Armed with your magical warhammer and a trusty shield, you must defeat fantastic bosses including a Chimera, Beholder, and a Dragon. The game is set in first-person perspective.

“Rage of the Gladiator is a series of epic boss-battles,” said Ed Roman, CEO of Ghostfire Games. “There are no ‘fodder’ enemies – its all bosses, which we find to be the most fun part of games!”

In Rage of the Gladiator, each boss has unique abilities and powers that you need to pay close attention to. Exploit the weakness of each enemy by jumping, dodging, or shield blocking with the proper timing and agility. Then unleash your rage by brutally pounding your enemy with your warhammer and bashing them with your shield, and you will triumph.

Features of the game include:

* Insane “finishing moves.” You have 14 finishing moves that destroy your opponent in over-the-top cutscenes:
* Leap to the skies, then plunge your warhammer into the ground, creating a pillar of fire that burns your enemy to a crisp.
* Transform into a hulking colossus 10 times the size of your opponent, pounding him into the ground.
* Darken the skies with a solar eclipse, sending a beam of light to fry your enemy.
* Customize your character. As you defeat bosses, you earn skill points. You can apply those skill points to one of three skill trees: Offense, Defense, and Magic. This gives you new powers. It also provides great replay value since you can replay through the game with different skill tree decisions.
* Fantastic 3D-graphics. Fully rendered and realistic, you do combat in a fully lit 3D arena. This polish level is rare for a downloadable title.
* Extremely realistic animations. When you attack bosses, the impacts and hits feel “real.” Each boss has been painstakingly animated to react properly to each of your attacks.
* Outstanding replay value. Once you’ve beaten the first 10 bosses, you must face them again in Challenge Mode, which is a completely new experience – the bosses are more difficult with new powers. There are 21 total battles.
* Epic soundtrack. The music has been designed to be exciting and memorable, and really gets your blood pumping.

“Rage of the Gladiator is a monumental undertaking.” said Mr. Roman. “It has content comparable to a full $50 store title, yet has a budget title price. We’ve tried to make a game that blows the lid off what people expect from WiiWare.”

The game is slated to be released later this year. For more information, visit www.ghostfiregames.com.

screenshots at the site http://www.ghostfiregames.com/gladiator/rage-of-the-gladiator/ I'd post some pics but I don't have the time to rehost them.

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnTUBb2rzQY&e

randrews

Neo Member
Nintendo, I love you for allowing us to updload photos to facebook, but could you please give us an app or software upgrade that allows to send photos to Twitter? Even a dedicated Twitter app would be greatly appreciated.

rpmurphy

Rage of the Gladiator looks a lot more fun than HVS's Gladiator game. :lol

EDIT:
Didn't see this posted yet:

Sea Farm (dolphin training/playing game) for WiiWare, comes out tomorrow in Japan:
Trailer
Details

BooJoh

randrews said:
Nintendo, I love you for allowing us to updload photos to facebook, but could you please give us an app or software upgrade that allows to send photos to Twitter? Even a dedicated Twitter app would be greatly appreciated.
While I agree that a dedicated Twitter app with photo upload would be awesome, bookmarking m.twitter.com on DSi Browser is still pretty convenient, other than the fact that it seems to log you off of twitter.com on other computers.

Marvie_3

Banned
Plinko said:
Tecmo Bowl NES had actual NFL players as well but they took them out. The same could be done with Tecmo Super Bowl.
They should just follow the Cunningham/Kelly/Kosar route and name everyone: QB Packers, RB Bears, LB Bills, etc. :lol

They would have to take out all the logos and team names too though I don't think that'd be hard to do.

blu

damn, i wish i gave a flying figment about facebook.

Chris R

twinturbo2 said:
While we're talking about old-ass football games, how about this one?

62228502.jpg
best football game I ever played. Scores between my brother and I were usually like 120 - 80 :lol

Somnid

Tecmo Bowl is something that should be unique to the US. So if anything it's a win, especially when the reason Japan has 100+ more games is because they have 100+ regional exclusives. I wouldn't be overly critical, NOA actually got you something.

Hm, the first(?) M rated WiiWare game and a VC release? Interesting.

I still have my Tecmo Bowl NES cart but I know some people that were hoping for that game.

Milabrega

TheUnknownForce said:
Ghostfire Games announces their second release (after Helix, the dancing game with two remotes): Rage of the Gladiator

screenshots at the site http://www.ghostfiregames.com/gladiator/rage-of-the-gladiator/ I'd post some pics but I don't have the time to rehost them.

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnTUBb2rzQY&e

I don't know whats funnier. The fact the someone ripped off a HVS game, or the fact that this looks ten times better as a WiiWare game then their supposed retail release.

Seriously I love cheesecake just as much as the next guy but whoever gave Sexy Poker a pass for NA release needs to clean out his desk cause this is one sad piece of work.

Capndrake

Small OFLC update:

-Clubhouse Games Express: Family Favorites (Nintendo, DSiWare)
-Clubhouse Games Express: Strategy Pack (Nintendo, DSiWare)
-Mighty Flip Champs! (WayForward Technologies, DSiWare)

zigg

randrews said:
Nintendo, I love you for allowing us to updload photos to facebook, but could you please give us an app or software upgrade that allows to send photos to Twitter?

Twitter itself doesn't accept photos. You need a secondary photo-hosting service that integrates with Twitter.

Which makes it even less likely that Nintendo will do such a thing.

File upload support in the browser would pretty much be ideal, but that's not going to happen either... Nintendo would want to keep their "push one button" thing going. Flickr seems like it might be a remote possibility, though.

(As for a regular client, as pointed out, m.twitter.com works great in the DSi browser.)

Came here to post this: Buy Boxlife (lttp).

I bought it a couple of weeks ago and thought that I had succumbed to hype once again. Let it stay dormant for a couple of weeks. Picked it up again on a whim, and IT CLICKED. Just like that, I wasn't just making boxes I was discovering patterns I never new existed. And played the factory instead of only the timed levels.
This game is a slow burn. If you picked it up and let it go because it felt -meh. Pick it up again you may fall in love with it like I did!

The Facebook update is great, but how about viewing facebook itself? It's just awkward going back and forth between the iPhone and the DSi.

blu

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Seriously I love cheesecake just as much as the next guy but whoever gave Sexy Poker a pass for NA release needs to clean out his desk cause this is one sad piece of work.
from what i've seen it's pure icecream material.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
AlphaTwo00 said:
The Facebook update is great, but how about viewing facebook itself? It's just awkward going back and forth between the iPhone and the DSi.

Does facebook work with the dsi opera Browser ?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Normal Facebook does work with the DSi browser, with the exception of maybe the chat bar system or certain applications. However, I'd suggest using the mobile version of the site: http://m.facebook.com as it is much faster and easier to navigate (especially in single column mode).

Sending pictures to Facebook is perhaps TOO simple. It sends it no problem, but I figured it would at least let me include a caption for the image. They can always be added later on PC, buuuut that's kinda stupid. It also doesn't let you choose an album to send to, so I suppose if I was using this frequently for some time I'd end up with a huge "Photos from Nintendo DSi" album?

nli10

morningbus said:
Normal Facebook does work with the DSi browser, with the exception of maybe the chat bar system or certain applications. However, I'd suggest using the mobile version of the site: http://m.facebook.com as it is much faster and easier to navigate (especially in single column mode).

I second that.

Mostly I twitter and now send FB pix!!

nli10

JoshuaJSlone said:
Sending pictures to Facebook is perhaps TOO simple. It sends it no problem, but I figured it would at least let me include a caption for the image. They can always be added later on PC, buuuut that's kinda stupid. It also doesn't let you choose an album to send to, so I suppose if I was using this frequently for some time I'd end up with a huge "Photos from Nintendo DSi" album?

I plan to transfer ones out to other albums if needed, but in real life I'm going to be taking them with the Cybershot and adding them when I get back to base.

AniHawk said:
No Icarian?

Ah well. Looks like it's suicide again for me.
If only you had waited one week? (assuming they are using European dates...otherwise you'll have to wait till the 8th October)

Now for next Monday to roll along and for it not come out to which Nintendo responds, "despite telling people in advance, the Nintendo download PR is the only authority"

Starwolf_UK said:
If only you had waited one week? (assuming they are using European dates...otherwise you'll have to wait till the 8th October)

Now for next Monday to roll along and for it not come out to which Nintendo responds, "despite telling people in advance, the Nintendo download PR is the only authority"
October 8th is a Thursday, so we should be seeing it next week, short of an act of Nintendo.

blu

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Not really. Believe it or not icecream has standards.
you mean girls in that poker are too old for him? ; )

Top Bottom