• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2012

Tom_Cody

Do you normally like Action Puzzle games like Toki Tori on GBC or Chew Man Fu on TG16?

I'm a couple of worlds ahead of you and I've enjoyed the game so far. I can't say it's been super challenging, but I also won't say it's a bad game.

I think most people mean that it's a good game by Miyamoto that isn't talked about much when they say it's a "lost gem." You also need to look at the time period and console it was released one, I'd say Mole Mania's graphics and production is on par with many GB games at the time. It appears to be running on the Link's Awakening engine.

The game does get more challenging, but it's an action puzzle game so don't expect it to shift into some completely mindblowing territory.
I have played quite a few action puzzle games over the years (though not those two specifically) and I definitely consider myself to be a fan of the genre.

Also, I have been playing through old GB games on my 3DS for the past year, so my experience is not owed to a lack of understanding of the GB's capabilities.

One additional thing I'll add to my last post is that I so far haven't once felt a sense of accomplishment while playing. So far I have just felt like I'm going through the motions.

DynamicG

I have played quite a few action puzzle games over the years (though not those two specifically) and I definitely consider myself to be a fan of the genre.

Also, I have been playing through old GB games on my 3DS for the past year, so my experience is not owed to a lack of understanding of the GB's capabilities.

One additional thing I'll add to my last post is that I so far haven't once felt a sense of accomplishment while playing. So far I have just felt like I'm going through the motions.

Sorry if my tone was off. I didn't mean to imply anything as a slight about your knowledge on the GB and it's capabilities.

My earlier point was that the game isn't really some sort of masterpiece, so the internet hype may be a bit overblown on it. I've never seen it called a mindblowing game, it's just a small, but good game that Miyamoto happened to work on. I don't think there's any secret that you are missing.

You may just not like the game. I'll agree that the first two stages are pretty easy though.

I can't agree with any of this.

I'm mostly with you on this. I think the first parts are easy, but I had lots of fun with it. I really like the underground / overground mechanic. I also think the graphics are fun and totally up to par with what the GB was cranking otu at the time. Actually i think the sprites are well animated and look good.

I compared it to Chew Man Fu because of the similar ball rolling gimmick. In the early days of the Wii VC Chew Man Fu was one of my saviors.

Tom_Cody

Sorry if my tone was off. I didn't mean to imply anything as a slight about your knowledge on the GB and it's capabilities.

My earlier point was that the game isn't really some sort of masterpiece, so the internet hype may be a bit overblown on it. I've never seen it called a mindblowing game, it's just a small, but good game that Miyamoto happened to work on. I don't think there's any secret that you are missing.

You may just not like the game. I'll agree that the first two stages are pretty easy though.
Ok, I understand you.

Maybe I should just try to advance further into the game before passing judgement.

enishi

Anyone encountered the error 005-5838 when entering the pre-paid card number (Japan eShop)?

I am not able to add my new 2000 yen card since Monday. I did some Google and just found it might be server busy. But I tried to enter the code at 8 am and failed again... Is there any other cause?

Thanks!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Usually £30 or less unless it's rare like Tales of the Abyss, though retailers like HMV usually are £35 or more for big name Nintendo games (i.e. Mario/Kart).

no, I did mean digitally.

Can't believe buying from GAME will be cheaper than buying digitally

Drago

Whooa, I totally forgot that game existed. I was contemplating getting it. Hope it goes on sale :(

Laughing_haha.gif

Roto13

Seriously though, when I first heard that the Wii Virtual Console was going to have N64 games, the two games I wanted most were the Mystical Ninja games. :p I'm still totally bummed it never happened.

Boney

Banned
This is now a thread of nightmares.

isn't it always?

Seriously though, when I first heard that the Wii Virtual Console was going to have N64 games, the two games I wanted most were the Mystical Ninja games. :p I'm still totally bummed it never happened.

Totally. Especially because I rented it all the time but didn't have a memory pak to save my progress.

Oh phooey

qq more

I lost my Goemon's Great Adventure cartridge :( That game was great.

Roto13

It's like July was just a dream..

And yes, the Goemon games on the 64 were both excellent. I remember the intro and Impact songs from the first.

IMPACTO

EDIT: I remember teaming up with a friend in the second N64 game and him playing as Mrs. Impact and us basically juggling the giant robot enemy back and forth. So good. I'd do that super punch combo and the enemy would go flying and Mrs. Impact would just swat him back and I'd do it again.

zroid

Banned
I remember often seeing the N64 Goemon at Blockbuster, but I thought it looked dumb so never rented >_>

Konami has been horrible in their support of Virtual Console.

I'm actually surprised they're bothering with it again.

Roto13

I remember often seeing the N64 Goemon at Blockbuster, but I thought it looked dumb so never rented >_>

You're dumb so you never rented it. :mad:

I think Mystical Ninja is a game everyone rented and nobody bought. Which I guess is why we got so few of them. :p I did my part and bought the VC release of the SNES one, anyway.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I think Mystical Ninja is a game everyone rented and nobody bought. Which I guess is why we got so few of them. :p I did my part and bought the VC release of the SNES one, anyway.

I owned Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon. I played the Super NES Goemon NA got and loved it, so the Nintendo 64 game was a no brainer.. even though I had no idea it would be so different.

Chopper

I bought it, finished it stupidly quickly and then traded it in for Mission Impossible. I enjoyed it, but that was not a decision I regretted. I fucking loved Misiion Impossible.

For a moment I thought Legend of Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, the awesome N64 game, was hitting the Wii Virtual Console.

:(

I'll buy this anyway, if it comes out in North America. I've heard it's kind of crap but I want to play it.

I own it because I could never afford
find
the N64 titles, honestly the game would be decent if not for one major flaw, at the end of each level you have to fight the boss in a minigame. This wouldn't be too bad except the controls for these are god awful and you get one shot, if you fail it's game over and you have to start at the beginning of the game regardless of extra lives.

OMG Aero

including pachinko?
Hey, at least that came with some pretty sweet remixes.
Impact Theme
PURASUMA
Tosa
Musical Castle
Edo Castle
Kappa Road
Frog Mountain
Majin Castle
When I saw that those N64 games weren't coming to the VC I bought an actual N64 just so I could play them again. They're still awesome.

Chrom

How is Picross e not Nintendo's game? They published the two games and were both developed by the same people who made most of Nintendo's other Picross games, including Mario's Picross.

Boney

Banned
Hey, at least that came with some pretty sweet remixes.
Impact Theme
PURASUMA
Tosa
Musical Castle
Edo Castle
Kappa Road
Frog Mountain
Majin Castle

When I saw that those N64 games weren't coming to the VC I bought an actual N64 just so I could play them again. They're still awesome.

what happened to your face!

How is Picross e not Nintendo's game? They published the two games and were both developed by the same people who made most of Nintendo's other Picross games, including Mario's Picross.

uh because it's not published by nintendo this time?

Top Bottom