• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Do y'all think North America will get the Golden Sun sequel up on the eshop anytime soon? It's already out in Europe I believe, what's the holdup? I have Dark Dawn but haven't played past the first hour, would love to play the first 2 games as I missed them on the GBA

Do y'all think North America will get the Golden Sun sequel up on the eshop anytime soon? It's already out in Europe I believe, what's the holdup? I have Dark Dawn but haven't played past the first hour, would love to play the first 2 games as I missed them on the GBA
The most amusing thing about Dark Dawn is it summarises the GS1+2 plot in several formats, it really doesn't want you to be left behind. If you put about an hour into the Dark Dawn I think you will have played a tutorial section which is one of them and can be best thought of turning it into a theme park.

The worst thing about the eShop version of Golden Sun 2 is the password entry. There is no link cable support sadly (I don't know if the Wii U security allows the game to check for GS1 ownership and extract the save for this part). The Bronze password is a mere 16 characters, silver 31 characters but Gold is 260 characters...dear god.

While Golden Sun 1 isn't terribly long it might be nice to take it at a slow pace rather than buy bother at once and rushing the first one.

maxcriden

Hi Alex! Welcome back. As Starwolf recommended above, I'd say try out the first GBA game and then wait until Nintendo does release The Lost Age to play it. If it's immediate, great, if not, it'll just keep you from getting burned out on two pretty long, text-heavy games. They are great RPGs, though.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Hi Alex! Welcome back. As Starwolf recommended above, I'd say try out the first GBA game and then wait until Nintendo does release The Lost Age to play it. If it's immediate, great, if not, it'll just keep you from getting burned out on two pretty long, text-heavy games. They are great RPGs, though.

Hi Max! Thanks :)

And thanks to both you and Starwolf for your replies... the thing that makes me nervous is what if NoA never puts the sequel on the eshop? I only want to play the first if I'm guaranteed to be able to play the 2nd. You'd think it would be a sure thing but there's a lot of missing games that have sequels that Nintendo hasn't bothered to put up yet

maxcriden

And thanks to both you and Starwolf for your replies... the thing that makes me nervous is what if NoA never puts the sequel on the eshop? I only want to play the first if I'm guaranteed to be able to play the 2nd. You'd think it would be a sure thing but there's a lot of missing games that have sequels that Nintendo hasn't bothered to put up yet

You've got a DS Lite, though, right? So you could always play the GBA one there. I do expect NOA will definitely put up TLA, though.

TheMoon

I see absolutely no reason to worry there.

enigmatic_alex44

You've got a DS Lite, though, right? So you could always play the GBA one there. I do expect NOA will definitely put up TLA, though.

yeah I do. But that would require me to track down a copy of the 2nd and the GBA thread has scared me off from buying GBA carts online, apparently most are bootleg copies and it can be hard to tell

maxcriden

yeah I do. But that would require me to track down a copy of the 2nd and the GBA thread has scared me off from buying GBA carts online, apparently most are bootleg copies and it can be hard to tell

I think most is an overstatement if that's what you've been told, TBH. Maybe for something like Pokemon. There are plenty of bootlegs out there, but if you buy on eBay or Amazon from sellers with good feedback I think you'll be okay. In my experience at least I've bought a lot of carts of GBA games from eBay and Amazon with no issue. :)

TheMoon

Hmm... tempted to buy it because I can't play it on PC due to my controller being incompatible and no option to turn off the controller and use Joy2Key. Also tempted to not buy it on principle because my Steam copy has been broken this way for years despite lots of user feedback on the issue.

Or meet in the middle and wait for a sale? :)

BooJoh

Actually it seems important to point out that it does indeed appear to be just Groove City, which has only 15 levels and about an hour of gameplay (from reviews I'm seeing on Steam), compared to the original ESJ's 45+ levels and advertised 8+ hours.

I have a question regarding the promotion where you register a new console + a game (smash,pokèmon etc) and you get a code for a free game.
I found a guy that want to sell me is code. From the nintendo website I've read that you have to use the code 24 hour after you've registered the console and the game in you club nintendo account.
Will I be able to use it on my account even if I didn't registered the game for the promotion?
Or I need to ask the guy directly the code for the specific game?

maxcriden

I have a question regarding the promotion where you register a new console + a game (smash,pokèmon etc) and you get a code for a free game.
I found a guy that want to sell me is code. From the nintendo website I've read that you have to use the code 24 hour after you've registered the console and the game in you club nintendo account.
Will I be able to use it on my account even if I didn't registered the game for the promotion?
Or I need to ask the guy directly the code for the specific game?

Is this promotion still going on? I don't remember hearing about one recently, but maybe I'm mistaken. I remember the MK8 one.

maxcriden

https://www.nintendo.it/Campagne/Pr.../Come-partecipare-alla-promozione-919683.html

this is the italian website.
From what I've read, you have till 01/12 to register the console + the game, till 02/12 to register the promotion code to choose the game and till 03/12 to use the download code for the game itself

Oh, sorry, I don't know anything about the Italian promotion. That's awesome, though. Let's see; it sounds like you would need to register the console and then within 24 hours register your friend's game code. I think you would be all set but then you'd need to do this ASAP given the deadline. You could also PM an Italian GAFer like Dash Kappei (IIRC) or Axass because they might have a better idea of the particulars of the language since I don't speak Italian. :)

TheMoon

Oh, sorry, I don't know anything about the Italian promotion. That's awesome, though. Let's see; it sounds like you would need to register the console and then within 24 hours register your friend's game code. I think you would be all set but then you'd need to do this ASAP given the deadline. You could also PM an Italian GAFer like Dash Kappei (IIRC) or Axass because they might have a better idea of the particulars of the language since I don't speak Italian. :)

That's an NOE promotion that's been running for a few months now. Any Euro would be able to help with that if they are familiar with the promotion. Just FYI^^

Is that a back handed comment? Cause I always thought this OT had light Nintendo general chat.

Yeah his responds seems as such. I don't know why there is so much hostility in these threads when we are all fans of Nintendo.

I, too, consider this my online home for casual Nintendo talk. Is that not everyone's take on this thread? :-/

Same. But it seems to not be the case when a certain someone (me) critiques Nintendo. Double standard when what I discuss is related to their downloads but other conversation isn't :p

Anyways. I consider this a thread where true Nintendo fans come in to discuss Nintendo.

I come to this thread for that too :D

sorry to do this... but I really miss DDP :( :(

Me too. I have some eshop funds left over from when target did B2G1 free, but with the remaining funds I'll only use it toward VC and indies. I don't think Nintendo deserves my money for their retail digital downloads with them removing DDP. Games can be had much cheaper elsewhere even when they did DDP, but removing DDP was the final straw for me.

this thread is already in Community

The problem is that we discuss a wide variety of stuff rather than just the new eshop games. There's been discussion about the eshop games and people yell and leave the thread and even block people for those staying on topic related to the weekly eshop update. Discussion not related to the eshop seems to be okay, which is weird from the perspective that there are those who do the previously mentioned, but I for one welcome a true Nintendo discussion that does more than just what the title of this thread is.

wilflare

The problem is that we discuss a wide variety of stuff rather than just the new eshop games. There's been discussion about the eshop games and people yell and leave the thread and even block people for those staying on topic related to the weekly eshop update. Discussion not related to the eshop seems to be okay, which is weird from the perspective that there are those who do the previously mentioned, but I for one welcome a true Nintendo discussion that does more than just what the title of this thread is.

I see this as the Nintendo version of the PSN thread
where we just talk about any thing PlayStation related :/

but I guess it's everyone's freedom to see the thread the way they want it to be

I'm down with this thread being a generic Nintendo discussion. There's probably two people who disagree, but they blocked me and can't see my posts anyways :p

maxcriden

I'd rather talk in here as well. Just making a suggestion if it bothers some people.

I'm down with this thread being a generic Nintendo discussion. There's probably two people who disagree, but they blocked me and can't see my posts anyways :p

I agree with both of you. I've always seen this as the catch-all Nintendo community thread, I don't think there's any harm in treating it as such. No need to splinter conversation as far as I can tell.

wilflare

I agree with both of you. I've always seen this as the catch-all Nintendo community thread, I don't think there's any harm in treating it as such. No need to splinter conversation as far as I can tell.

agreed! splintering... means the thread(s) will move even slower lol

GulAtiCa

I agree with this being a good place to generally talk Nintendo, however. The mods don't really like that, as it turns into a general Nintendo chatroom (which is usually why the hype threads for E3 are locked after a while each year) and prob why the Wii U eShop thread & other Nintendo specific threads have sadly been locked.

Though, keep in mind, there are some already existing threads for certain things. Like pretty big and active SNES thread. The VC thread is actually still open and lately been active, I've just been lazy. lol

Who would be a good mod to PM for getting justification into turning this a generic Nintendo thread? I do think it should still remain mostly though.

maxcriden

I agree with this being a good place to generally talk Nintendo, however. The mods don't really like that, as it turns into a general Nintendo chatroom (which is usually why the hype threads for E3 are locked after a while each year) and prob why the Wii U eShop thread & other Nintendo specific threads have sadly been locked.

Though, keep in mind, there are some already existing threads for certain things. Like pretty big and active SNES thread. The VC thread is actually still open and lately been active, I've just been lazy. lol

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just not sure I follow. Where would be the best place to have all-purpose Nintendo chat if not here? Or is having an all-purpose Nintendo chat something we shouldn't be using a GAF thread for...? Thanks. :)

daydream

Banned

The PSN thread is mostly a Vita chatroom which is great since that's what the community wants it to be and the threads are in Community now, after all.

The retro threads are 99% tech talk btw.

Yagharek

I think of this thread as the "Where is Scram Kitty in Australia Resource Thread for Possible Updates as Well as General eShop News".

To that end, A Train 3D got classified in Australia this week so I guess a western release must be imminent.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I think most is an overstatement if that's what you've been told, TBH. Maybe for something like Pokemon. There are plenty of bootlegs out there, but if you buy on eBay or Amazon from sellers with good feedback I think you'll be okay. [/i]In my experience at least I've bought a lot of carts of GBA games from eBay and Amazon with no issue. :)

Most definitely not. :(
GBA collector here, it's the harsh truth I'm sorry to say. Vast majority of non-CiB auctions are bootlegs (plenty of big sellers with great feedback selling them, they're just hard to spot unless you're looking at the pins inside the cart). Easiest way is to buy JPN/EU carts, or possibly CiB... but they're expensive. Not a pokemon/FF thing either, basically close to 100% of the good/requested games on the platform have bootleg copies going around. Come over the GBA thread for pics examples and how to spot them. We've had many gaffers come over just to find out their seemingly ok copy was in fact a bootleg.

maxcriden

Most definitely not. :(
GBA collector here, it's the harsh truth I'm sorry to say. Vast majority of non-CiB auctions are bootlegs (plenty of big sellers with great feedback selling them, they're just hard to spot unless you're looking at the pins inside the cart). Easiest way is to buy JPN/EU carts, or possibly CiB... but they're expensive. Not a pokemon/FF thing either, basically close to 100% of the good/requested games on the platform have bootleg copies going around. Come over the GBA thread for pics examples and how to spot them. We've had many gaffers come over just to find out their seemingly ok copy was in fact a bootleg.

Ah, sorry to hear it. I must just have been lucky, then. :(

maxcriden

Don't we all?

image.php

Lucinamiigal looks kindly upon yonder terry

TheMoon

So on the smash bros facebook page they posted this

https://www.facebook.com/SmashBrosE...4173137756374/381912865315733/?type=1&theater

"Back in Metroid: Zero Mission.

She crawled."

Maybe they are teasing Zero Mission is coming

I commented asking them to release it on the VC lol

They're not teasing anything. The social media people for that site don't have a clue about the VC release schedule. They're simply referencing good ol' PaulyU with his "y cant Metroid crawl" nonsense.

tebunker

Banned
They're not teasing anything. The social media people for that site don't have a clue about the VC release schedule. They're simply referencing good ol' PaulyU with his "y cant Metroid crawl" nonsense.

Serioulsy, Memetendo has started to become obnoxious. They seem to know what their fans want and either choose to do nothing about it, or are incapable, so they cope with things like overused Memes and the robot chicken E3 video.

Top Bottom