• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I agree with the sentiment that I wish we could discuss general Nintendo info either in here or somewhere in community. I would def participate, I love Ninty <3

I also downloaded Golden Sun from the eShop last night after some initial hesitation, you guy are right it's worth having done so. Only played past the intro/1st hour or so and I'm loving it. Itches that classic RPG feeling I've missed

maxcriden

B7FjMS5CEAEimBg.jpg:large

(via gonintendo; lol)

I agree with the sentiment that I wish we could discuss general Nintendo info either in here or somewhere in community. I would def participate, I love Ninty <3

I also downloaded Golden Sun from the eShop last night after some initial hesitation, you guy are right it's worth having done so. Only played past the intro/1st hour or so and I'm loving it. Itches that classic RPG feeling I've missed

Yay! So glad you're digging it. Hope you're keeping your kitty apprised of your progress in the game. :)

maxcriden

Originally from here.

(I dislike giving credit to aggregators for "finding" things)

Oh yes, sorry about that. I feel the same way. Usually I like to give credit to both sources since I wouldn't have seen it without the aggregator. I just forgot to this time. :)

BooJoh

It's bad enough they don't have Dr. Mario NES version on 3DS VC yet, but I was browsing the eShop in boredom and noticed they've included the GB VC version of Dr. Mario in the Nintendo eShop Must-Haves "NES" category. Way to pour salt in the wound, NOA.

BTW, today I had Monster Manor crash on me upon finishing a puzzle box (black screen followed by dumping me to the home menu and forced system restart.) When my system came back up it couldn't find the SD card and gave an error saying as much. I turned off the system, took out the card, made sure it was properly seated, etc, then booted back up and everything seems fine. Anyone ever have a problem like this? I'm using a brand new 32GB Class 10 Kingston microSD in an adapter, formatted with NOA's recommended tool. I guess I'll just write it off as a random crash unless it happens again, in which case I suppose I'll move everything back to my old card and replace the microSD before N3DS hits.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Yay! So glad you're digging it. Hope you're keeping your kitty apprised of your progress in the game. :)

Haha! :) I sure am :3

It's bad enough they don't have Dr. Mario NES version on 3DS VC yet, but I was browsing the eShop in boredom and noticed they've included the GB VC version of Dr. Mario in the Nintendo eShop Must-Haves "NES" category. Way to pour salt in the wound, NOA.

There's a lot of obvious missing items on the eShop sadly, I don't know why NoA is so behind. Like, I still haven't experienced Mario RPG (SNES) and I've loved all the Paper Mario games, I'm still waiting for a Wii U version to be put up so I can play it on the gamepad. Also, Mega Man Zero is available, but who knows if Zero 2, 3 and 4 will ever be put up (though I do have the DS collection of that)

BooJoh

There's a lot of obvious missing items on the eShop sadly, I don't know why NoA is so behind. Like, I still haven't experienced Mario RPG (SNES) and I've loved all the Paper Mario games, I'm still waiting for a Wii U version to be put up so I can play it on the gamepad. Also, Mega Man Zero is available, but who knows if Zero 2, 3 and 4 will ever be put up (though I do have the DS collection of that)

Not to mention the more obscure games. If I could get Rainbow Islands for my mom on 3DS she'd never put it down as that was her favorite NES game by far. But I don't think S-E has even put anything on VC since Wii.

maxcriden

Lovely Minish Cap retrospective at NLife:

630x.jpg

Today marks an historic day. The tenth anniversary of The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. Perhaps one of the most unappreciated and overshadowed chapters in the long and lucrative series - selling just over 1 million units since its release - it's also one of the most unique, quirky and charming Zelda titles to have been released. Here, we look at what made The Minish Cap so wonderful when it released a decade ago, and why it's still one of the strongest Zelda titles to this day.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...he_legend_of_zelda_the_minish_cap_a_decade_on

Javier

I'm all for having a general Nintendo discussion (I would prefer this to remain to talk about Nintendo Downloads) as long as it remains civil and it's not used as an excuse to constantly talk crap about NoA (or any Nintendo division or Nintendo in general). We already have two threads for that and I feel we don't need to have such negative discussion towards Nintendo in so many threads.

jholmes

I'm all for having a general Nintendo discussion (I would prefer this to remain to talk about Nintendo Downloads) as long as it remains civil and it's not used as an excuse to constantly talk crap about NoA (or any Nintendo division or Nintendo in general). We already have two threads for that and I feel we don't need to have such negative discussion towards Nintendo in so many threads.

Seriously. I'm against general Nintendo discussion in this thread if only because some people seem to be looking at this thread and saying, "Finally! A place on NeoGAF to badmouth Nintendo all day!"

enigmatic_alex44

Has there been any more word on here the original Breath of Fire is hitting the eshop in North America?

Wait is only the 2nd Breath of Fire available on the eShop? Why would they put up the sequel before the 1st? Mess. Sadly I wouldn't get my hopes up then as Capcom seems to have abandoned BoF altogether (and 6 is now a mobile phone game :/ ) though I don't know if the publishing rights for the 1st two games would fall under Nintendo possibly. It's the same how NA got Breath of Fire 4 on PSN but not Breath of Fire 3 for some reason.

Seriously. I'm against general Nintendo discussion in this thread if only because some people seem to be looking at this thread and saying, "Finally! A place on NeoGAF to badmouth Nintendo all day!"

But why would someone come into a Nintendo thread for that purpose though, wouldn't that fall under trolling and be against the TOS anyways? If that happened we could just PM a mod.

BooJoh

Wait is only the 2nd Breath of Fire available on the eShop? Why would they put up the sequel before the 1st? Mess. Sadly I wouldn't get my hopes up then as Capcom seems to have abandoned BoF altogether (and 6 is now a mobile phone game :/ ) though I don't know if the publishing rights for the 1st two games would fall under Nintendo possibly. It's the same how NA got Breath of Fire 4 on PSN but not Breath of Fire 3 for some reason.
BoF 1 on SNES was published by S-E, but the GBA port was published by Capcom. I'm not sure how that would affect VC if at all.

You CAN like Nintendo and criticize them. All of us in here are Nintendo fans. That doesn't mean they are perfect; especially NOA.

jholmes

But why would someone come into a Nintendo thread for that purpose though, wouldn't that fall under trolling and be against the TOS anyways? If that happened we could just PM a mod.

Well...

You CAN like Nintendo and criticize them. All of us in here are Nintendo fans. That doesn't mean they are perfect; especially NOA.

There's criticizing and then there's bitching non-stop about the same one-note nonsense in each and every thread.

Donkey Kong Country isn't out in North America. We know this. Maybe go outside once in a while?

BooJoh

There's a fine line between criticism and weekly tantrums, and the Nintendo Download threads have had more than enough of the latter since they began in the Wii days.

Well...

There's criticizing and then there's bitching non-stop about the same one-note nonsense in each and every thread.

Donkey Kong Country isn't out in North America. We know this. Maybe go outside once in a while?

I run 5 miles everyday. Thanks. There's nothing wrong with a once a week reminder that Nintendo of America is horrible on Thursdays. Why don't you learn to critique what you might find to be perfect? Here's a hint. NOA is horrible. There's already people coming up with excuses as to why they haven't even mentioned the new 3DS or do a club Nintendo promotion for it like NOE does. How horrible must they be before you and other finally see the light?

There's a fine line between criticism and weekly tantrums, and the Nintendo Download threads have had more than enough of the latter since they began in the Wii days.

There's a fine line between people being a Nintendo fan and a closed minded fanboy as well. It goes both ways. Want people to stop complaining? Write in to NOA and tell them what's wrong. I do on a daily basis. I want them to succeed. They don't seem to want to.

As what was posted a few posts back; only NOA seems to release VC games when they truly have to and don't use it as padding. There's probably 100 games in line to be released and they do 1 a week.

The funny thing is, all my complaining about their releases Is actually on topic for the thread. There's been discussions about health and cats just in this month alone and not a word was said.

I would like for this thread to become a Nintendo discussion. However people have to accept the positives and negatives of said company. Nintendo is definitely not in a good shape. Let's not pretend they are.

jholmes

I run 5 miles everyday. Thanks. There's nothing wrong with a once a week reminder that Nintendo of America is horrible on Thursdays. Why don't you learn to critique what you might find to be perfect? Here's a hint. NOA is horrible. There's already people coming up with excuses as to why they haven't even mentioned the new 3DS or do a club Nintendo promotion for it like NOE does. How horrible must they be before you and other finally see the light?

What critique? Coming online and saying "this sucks" isn't a critique, it's complaining. Nintendo isn't awaiting a critique on baited breath. The point of a thread isn't to come to some democratic consensus about what a company should do. There's so much to enjoy about video games of all stripes and we can have spirited discussions about their pros and cons, and debate the state of the industry. Or we can come on and bitch about how Game X launched in Europe and how damn green that grass is.

And as uninterested I am in reading someone's whining, I'm even less interested in debating someone's whining. But a few people asked if this should be some general catch-all discussion for all things Nintendo to which I am voting a firm, clear NO. There are interesting games that launch in the eShop on the Wii U and 3DS every week and they need a place to be discussed. And yeah, for the record, I think complaining that we need another box to play Donkey Kong Country on detracts from what little attention those hidden gems will ever get.

What critique? Coming online and saying "this sucks" isn't a critique, it's complaining. Nintendo isn't awaiting a critique on baited breath. The point of a thread isn't to come to some democratic consensus about what a company should do. There's so much to enjoy about video games of all stripes and we can have spirited discussions about their pros and cons, and debate the state of the industry. Or we can come on and bitch about how Game X launched in Europe and how damn green that grass is.

And as uninterested I am in reading someone's whining, I'm even less interested in debating someone's whining. But a few people asked if this should be some general catch-all discussion for all things Nintendo to which I am voting a firm, clear NO. There are interesting games that launch in the eShop on the Wii U and 3DS every week and they need a place to be discussed. And yeah, for the record, I think complaining that we need another box to play Donkey Kong Country on detracts from what little attention those hidden gems will ever get.

That's your opinion about not wanting this to become a discussion thread, and I can respect that, however if the current discussion or topic is not related to Nintendo downloads, then I expect you to jump in and say something.

Talking about how NOE received a certain game and NOA didn't is on topic though. Same could be said for NOA to NOE too.

I'm heading to sleep and can't wait to see what VC, price drops, or promotions that NOE offers tomorrow. Goodnight.

BooJoh

There's a fine line between people being a Nintendo fan and a closed minded fanboy as well. It goes both ways. Want people to stop complaining? Write in to NOA and tell them what's wrong. I do on a daily basis. I want them to succeed. They don't seem to want to.

So you're implying that I'm a fanboy who blindly accepts what NOA does? Might I direct you to my previous posts on this very page of the thread where I was complaining about Dr. Mario NES and some other games (although you might not recognize my complaining as it didn't contain phrases like "NOA sucks" and "Where's DKC?") We all criticize or complain once in a while, but we tend to do so only occasionally and in a far less hostile manner.

If you want to write to NOA on a daily basis to try to get things changed, great. That's a direct line to NOA, the people who can do something about it. But posting the same exact rants twice a week in this topic (once for each PR) isn't reaching out to NOA, it's just crapping all over our community thread, and frankly a lot of us are sick and tired of it.

Socreges

Banned
I think the thread is fine as is. Until the general discussion actually detracts from the 'Downloads' discussion, why propose a change?

And I think it's important to be able to criticise Nintendo in here as well. I'm a big Nintendo fan myself. They make my favourite games. They're also more frustrating than Sony and Microsoft in many ways. We should be able to talk about these frustrations. And other fans should be able to accept that.

(all within reason, of course)

Team Top Hat, the thing is that you're being very annoying. It's not about being on topic or not, it's about being rude. You've been told repeatedly over several threads by several different people that the way you're doing what you're doing in isn't exactly welcomed by lots of the regular members in these threads (which I'm not even really one of) and you've been asked to change it. To put it simply, you're being very rude and even sort of surprisingly obnoxious and hardheaded. It's creating an uncomfortable environment in a thread where there shouldn't be one. It's not fun being around when your posts show up, and I'm sure most of us already have somewhere else for being annoyed/angry/bored, we don't need this threads to be yet another one.

I mean, if you know (and you gotta know it by now) that most people here don't like it when you keep posting stuff like that over and over, why do you keep doing it? What do you hope to achieve? I'm going to have to think that you enjoy annoying people. I don't go practice the tuba near your house every day and then ignore your complaints. Why are you practicing the tuba in here still? Please, let's talk about something else!

Like David Byrne so eloquently put it all the way back in 1977: say something once, why say it again? Qu'est-ce que c'est? Fa fa fa fa fa fa...

As for changing this into a Nintendo thread, I think this threads should remain. If anything, maybe make a different, general Nintendo thread. But even then, that would probably just make this thread smaller than it already is and fragment the posts without any real need to. Either the other thread or this one would probably get ignored most of the time too. I'd say we should keep posting about whatever we want Nintendo related in here, as long as we're not being pricks about it.

Seda

Hey, Team Top Hat

Killer Yakuza B has basically said much of what I was going to say.

From what I gather, your brand of criticism typically is not constructive, it's a nuisance. You are not going to generate worthwhile discussion by whining. I'm not saying you can't ever show displeasure. You are just going about it the wrong way. Be more cordial if you want to sincerely interact with a community.

Also, I should note this is the second time this topic has come up. :p

As for thread changes, I don't have full context, but platform-specific general discussion threads are in Community now, as you may have noticed. The largest two threads are STEAM and PlayStation Network, and there's also "Xbox One Download Games", an iOS monthly thread and this thread. So, one for each major platform. While the console threads have "network" or "download" in their title, and while they do a decent job centering around digital release news, they also act as general discussion anyway, which is fine.

Let me know if you have other questions if you need input on something.

L~A

Let me chime on this topic a bit...

I really don't think this place should be used for general talk, ie: goodies, funny pics and all.

Sticking to downloads is preferrable, imo.

Anyway... it's been over a month since Tales of the Abyss was released on the JP Abyss... yet Bamco has shown no sign of releasing this in the West. :(

JoeM86

This week, in Europe

Wii U
The Amazing Spider-Man Ultimate Edition &#8211; &#8364;49.99 / £39.99
Angry Birds Star Wars &#8211; &#8364;59.99 / £49.99
Family Tennis SP &#8211; &#8364;4.99 / £3.99

Wii U Virtual Console
Axelay &#8211; &#8364;7.99 / £5.49
Demon&#8217;s Crest &#8211; &#8364;7.99 / £5.49

3DS
SpongeBob SquarePants: Plankton&#8217;s Robotic Revenge &#8211; &#8364;39.99 / £29.99
The Amazing Spider-Man &#8211; &#8364;39.99 / £29.99
Angry Birds Star Wars &#8211; &#8364;39.99 / £29.99
3D Afterburner 2 &#8211; &#8364;4.99 / £4.49
Monster Combine TD &#8211; &#8364;3.99 / £3.19

3DS Themes
Mario Characters &#8211; &#8364;1.99 / £1.79
Mario Items &#8211; &#8364;1.99 / £1.79

=============
Price Reductions

Super Indie Connection
BIT.TRIP Presents&#8230; Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien &#8211; &#8364;4.79 / £3.99 until 22/01/2015 for users who own Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition, Chasing Aurora, SteamWorld Dig, Teslagrad or Swords & Soldiers on the same Wii U
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition &#8211; &#8364;5.59 / £4.79 until 22/01/2015 for users who own BIT.TRIP Presents&#8230; Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, Chasing Aurora, SteamWorld Dig, Teslagrad or Swords & Soldiers on the same Wii U
Chasing Aurora &#8211; &#8364;2.79 / £2.39 until 22/01/2015 for users who own Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition, BIT.TRIP Presents&#8230; Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, SteamWorld Dig, Teslagrad or Swords & Soldiers on the same Wii U
SteamWorld Dig &#8211; &#8364;3.59 / £2.79 until 22/01/2015 for users who own Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition, Chasing Aurora, BIT.TRIP Presents&#8230; Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, Teslagrad or Swords & Soldiers on the same Wii U
Teslagrad &#8211; &#8364;5.99 / £5.59 until 22/01/2015 for users who own Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition, Chasing Aurora, SteamWorld Dig, BIT.TRIP Presents&#8230; Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien or Swords & Soldiers on the same Wii U
Swords & Soldiers &#8211; &#8364;1.19 / £1.07 until 22/01/2015 for users who own Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition, Chasing Aurora, SteamWorld Dig, Teslagrad or BIT.TRIP Presents&#8230; Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien on the same Wii U

Wii U
Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON&#8217;T KNOW! &#8211; &#8364;9.99 / £5.99 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
Ben 10 Omniverse &#8211; &#8364;4.99 / £4.99 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade &#8211; &#8364;2.99 / £2.99 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures &#8211; &#8364;9.99 / £8.99 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2 &#8211; &#8364;19.90 / £13.99 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition &#8211; &#8364;9.99 / £6.79 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
One Piece: Unlimited World Red &#8211; &#8364;29.99 / £21.99 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
Unepic &#8211; &#8364;6.99 / £6.29 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC

3DS
Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON&#8217;T KNOW! &#8211; &#8364;9.89 / £6.49 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
Ben 10 Omniverse 2 &#8211; &#8364;4.99 / £3.69 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
One Piece: Romance Dawn &#8211; &#8364;19.99 / £18.99 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
One Piece: Unlimited World Red &#8211; &#8364;24.49 / £17.49 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
PAC-MAN and the Ghostly Adventures &#8211; &#8364;9.99 / £8.20 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
PAC-MAN and the Ghostly Adventures 2 &#8211; &#8364;29.99 / £21.49 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
Project X Zone &#8211; &#8364;14.99 / £9.99 Until 05/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
Dress To Play: Magic Bubbles! &#8211; &#8364;1.99 / £1.79 Until 15/02/2015, 23:59 UTC
Dress To Play: Cute Witches! &#8211; &#8364;1.99 / £1.79 Until 15/02/2015, 23:59 UTC

Tizoc

Everybody cop dat Project X Zone....which I haven't played yet =_=

How big is PXZ? I have a retail copy that...maybe I could trade off =X

For that matter, how's the 3DS ver. of Ghostly Adv. 2?

Bazry

For that matter, how's the 3DS ver. of Ghostly Adv. 2?

Its fun for a while, especially if your a fan of Capcom characters as it is just a big Capcom fanfare. It does however get very repetitive very quickly, to the point where you just start going through the motion pressing a few buttons

EDIT: Project X Zone that is

Orgen

So if I have bit trip runner 2 on the Wii u I can buy guacamelee for 5,59? Nice! (Seeing it from mobile so the format isn't very clear)

And demons crest! Very nice week :D

tolkir

Demon's Crest, Axelay and 3D Afterburner 2...

fuckinghypebowser.gif

Teslagrad and Guacamelee are a steal for that price.

Tekken was 15 Euro last time it was sale, right? Looks like not having enough storage space paid off :p

For those of you with NNID: Are the demos still up on the eShop (probably not as they were an A demo and a B demo). What I played of those I had no rush to get the full version...I won't be buying this one because my spare 3DS (purchased for Pokemon trading and the previous owners NNID'd download haul) has it.

My chief problem was animations are unskippable and it has the JRPG/SRT style bosses of way too much HP rather than the Fire Emblem style of tending not to be a lot stronger than a regular enemy. This can make maps go on forever of a few characters chipping away at damage. Maybe there was some sort of combo system to have more power for the supers that I couldn't figure out in the scope of the demo.

Wow, just realised that Angry Birds Star Wars is £49.99. Hahaha, holy shit!
Makes me wonder why exactly Activision is bothering as nobody in their right mind will pay those prices.

Phoenixus

Makes me wonder why exactly Activision is bothering as nobody in their right mind will pay those prices.

If this were Ubisoft or EA I'd say the age-old tactic for justifying supporting the Console less with 'wah wah our games won't sell on Nintendo consoles because reasons', but not sure about Activision.

Javier

Hey, Team Top Hat

Killer Yakuza B has basically said much of what I was going to say.

From what I gather, your brand of criticism typically is not constructive, it's a nuisance. You are not going to generate worthwhile discussion by whining. I'm not saying you can't ever show displeasure. You are just going about it the wrong way. Be more cordial if you want to sincerely interact with a community.
It doesn't help that when someone brings a good point against him, he either ignores it completely or twists the argument to make it look something it's not.

Not going to comment on this any further since a mod has already stepped in, but I do want to point out that I'm NOT against fair criticism, and no Nintendo division is exempt of it. But at the same time I feel unnecessary negativity can really kill a thread, and even when NoA gets good weeks, it feels we can't even talk about that because the bitching has already ruined the momentum of the topic.

Back on topic, Axelay is one game I never played and I hope NoA doesn't take long with it. How good is that one?

tolkir

My chief problem was animations are unskippable and it has the JRPG/SRT style bosses of way too much HP rather than the Fire Emblem style of tending not to be a lot stronger than a regular enemy. This can make maps go on forever of a few characters chipping away at damage. Maybe there was some sort of combo system to have more power for the supers that I couldn't figure out in the scope of the demo.

Animations are skippable. B button, i think.

My main problem was the duration (very long with repetition). Good fanservice helped me to complete it.

One Piece: Romance Dawn yay or nay ?

Edit: Oh my, Tekken is so big, I'd rather get the retail version (which is 20&#8364; at most) . Ain't nobody got room for that.

Phoenixus

One Piece: Romance Dawn yay or nay ?

Edit: Oh my, Tekken is so big, I'd rather get the retail version (which is 20€ at most) . Ain't nobody got room for that.

Romance Dawn is utter crap. Had to review it and felt like I wasted my time having to play it. unlimited world red on the other hand is quite fun. Go for that one. :)

Romance Dawn is utter crap. Had to review it and felt like I wasted my time having to play it. unlimited world red on the other hand is quite fun. Go for that one. :)

Oh, thats too bad. I'd be up for a One Piece RPG....

I got UWR when it was released and enjoyed my time with it, it was a bit light on content but looked great in HD !

Thanks for the reply.

Ondore

Not sure how much adding multiple languages would add, but the NA version is 3729 blocks (source: own it).

Between Bamco sales - I'd be all over Tekken Tag 2 and intrigued by the One Piece game - the Indie Collection, After Burner and fuggin' Demon's Crest this is a stanking week in PAL.

maxcriden

Well...

BTW, apologies to all if I've been overly effusive or frequent in my own DKC comments and .gifs. I've meant it in a more lighthearted tone but I'm sorry if it came off as over the top at all!

Top Bottom